QTDDTOT

Other thread is locked.
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

Cutting, getting gassed and losing energy/endurance during my compounds pretty fucking bad and my lifts are starting to drop. Went from 193 lbs to 147 lbs and 5'7, maybe around 17 - 20% bf.
Current calorie intake is only at 1500, but I'm a 5'7 manlet so it should still only be a 500 - 800 cal deficit. I'm not sleeping a lot though, 6 or so hours of sleep a night.

My first working set of a compound lift usually feels good, but during the remaining sets the weights feel so much fucking heavier and I lose breath fast.

Is sleep the only thing that's making me feel this way, or am I cutting way too hard? I try to get around 140g protein, carbs are anywhere from 90g to 130g, fats are usually around 50g or so.

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/analysis_of_the_squat
sailrabbit.com/bmr/
tdeecalculator.net/),
tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=268029441
tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=20&g=male&lbs=190&in=64&act=1.2&bf=&f=1
youtube.com/watch?v=BYKScL2sgCs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyMdpI2S54
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lower back pain on squats, what to do?

I've got a pull up bar and some rings. If I do a non specific fuckton (i.e. as many as I can at hardest difficulty I can) of pull ups, rows, ring pushups and some handstandish variation will I get big?

Getting back into free weights after a long hiatus. Male 6'3". 170lb skelter

Do I need to wear a lifting belt when doing squats and deadlifts? Pros/cons? Pls advise

look up during pullups or look forwards? same with chinups.

work on your form and don't lift so heavy if your form is the problem. De-load and truly think your way through. Review some starting strength:
startingstrength.com/article/analysis_of_the_squat

That's all I can give, good luck user.

For novice or getting back you shouldn't be lifting heavy enough so that you will need a belt. As you progress you will start to need it. So for now just get your feet wet

Thx m8

Is swimming the GOAT of cardio?

Yes, if you want to beat a great white shark in a race

Use sailrabbit.com/bmr/ to figure out a right deficit and watch out for the warnings. Being gassed might just be mental. Eat at tdee to reset your mind if you can't push through.

Doing PHUL, is this program best to achieve aesthetic? I'm feeling like I might be overtraining since I'm doing 7 - 8 exercises on upper day.

to address it from every possible angle:
>do deadlifts to strengthen spinal erectors
>learn correct form and have someone watch and correct you
>strengthen core with ab isolation
>foam roll or stretch hamstrings and glutes as they attach to your lower spine

programming is important, progressive overload/volume/intensity are all very key growth factors if you just do a fuck load of reps in no discernible order or method you will not be making optimal gains, if possible switch to barbell training

otherwise consider that training something like legs is rather difficult if not impossible to do without weights and maintain linear progress and progressive overload is also impossible without weights on these bodyweight exercises (its easier to slap another 45lb plate on a barbell but not to put one your back for pushups as an example and you could argue that you can make the exercises harder by doing variations but they eventually become endurance/cardio in style as reps increase and you wont get the same intensity as you would under a barbell)

if looking forward helps you not swing or 'kip' your body during the movement then look forward, other wise i dont see why you couldnt do either, although current 'calisthenics experts' (as much as i think bodyweight routines are a scam) recommend shrugging at the bottom of the movement and up through the entire movement to engage the traps and better recruit lats looking forward will help with this

im the same height as you and started using a belt at 4pl8 deadlift and with heavy BB rows although i found it unnecessary on squats (its not required but can be helpful if you are a fellow lanklet)

Creatine or CLA or none? Cant fucking get rid of the last layer of fat !

i think phat is generally considered as superior to phul (layne norton has a PhD in Nutritional Sciences and a BS in Biochemistry although as for reasons ill describe makes no difference to me in critiquing his program)

phul/phat are even more ridiculous than PPLPPLx having you do insane volume by which you a forced to lower weights than is necessary for progressive overload and growth, both of these routines effectively get you a sick pump but youd be better off for gains in strength and hypertrophy doing a routine different from either of those (a routine with proper progression, progressive overload, manageable volume with the appropriate intensity)

Eddie Hall (WSM 2017) swims regularly so yes it is

invest some time into examine . com and learn that creatine is a very studied and one of the few worthy supplements
>increases ATP output
>thus increases maximal strength output
>increases muscle mass via water retention, you look fuller while your on it (so its rather pointless because if you stop you lose it)
>it is unrealistic (and likely unhealthy) to get that much creatine from meat alone
>creatine wont help you lose weight but id still recommend it

You're simply cutting too hard, also
>5'7
>147lbs 20% bf
You lose close to 50 pounds and keep that much fat? I'm 5'7 too, having trouble picturing that.

Ive reed something about some creatines that dont do water retention also minr objective is cutting, not in for aesthetics just to fight, and i choose speed over strength

some girl snapped me when she was drunk and said I should stop working out. Why would she say this is she just a jealous slob?

I stretched my chest out on a yoga ball today doing a "Jesus on a cross" pose
Now my left arm is involuntary twitching.
It's been going on for 2 hours and hasn't shown any signs of slowing

Please for the love of God give advice please

"why don't you come over and give me something better to do?"

autist.

What are the benefits of playing basketball? I've noticed most people who play basketball tend to have big delts.

I actually have looked at these online calculators and they usually put me around 1900 - 2000 calories when sedentary. I have heard to not count lifting as exercise when calculating TDEE, and I don't really do any cardio apart from 7k - 10k steps a day at my job (I have no idea how many calories burned that would translate to, but I can't imagine it would be more than 500 calories).
>Eat at TDEE
I have a cheat day probably once a week or every two weeks.

>You're simply cutting too hard.
Probably, I think I might raise my intake to 1600, possibly even 1700.
Pic related was from a week and a half ago, I think I still have love handles and a gut so I assume I'm at least above 15.

You can be a 20 year old faggot with a flat brimmed hat that still listens to rap

You look good nigga. She just hating bro hoes do that when they know they can't get you. Stop respecting thots.

6'1" 170lbs fuck it, i'm just gonna eat and lift weights and hope I get otter mode. This shit is so confusing.

Is there a ratio that I should consume mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats? I know to limit saturated fats to a minimum.

Also is sweet smelling sweat a sign of a serious health issue. My armpits smelled of some kind of sweet syrup or something. Did not use deo and it was after my workout btw.

How bad is Fat Free Ranch Dressing? I use about 2tbl spoons of it with my Chicken. Should I just cut it out completely and suck it up or is there a secret Ranch Recipe that is pretty healthy?

I'm at the start of my cut and feel very low energy and my vision goes black when I stand up. I basically have to bend over and breathe for a minute before I can walk or I pass out. What do I do? I drink a ton of water and am cutting clean.

I use greek yogurt (I personally use fage 0%) + those ranch seasoning packets. I can only assume the greek yogurt adds a tad bit more protein over the fat free premade stuff.

read what i said creatine increase ATP production effectively increasing maximal strength output and cellular energy production thus making you stronger

also creatine only effects muscle tissue not fat so it doesnt effect your ability to cut

creatines like a no brainer for anyone

(increasing strength = increasing total power of workout = more gains = stronger/more muscle/more cut)

When using TDEE calculators (e.g. tdeecalculator.net/), how do I know which activity level to pick? I basically do nothing but sit around the house all day except for lifting 3 or 4 days a week.

Should I choose sedentary or moderate exercise?

Oh right, numbers at the bottom are
>Calories, protein, fat, carbs, fiber, sugar.

What's the best stretch to hit the hips? I ask because I recently started lifting and it exposed some sort of fucked up problem which gives me back pain (one side) and leg numbness, both intensifying greatly when I squat, so much so that I used to not be able to do them. Before you ask, its nothing to do with a herniation; I already had an MRI done.

I started working with a physical therapist and he gave me some basic stretching exercises that sort of helped, but didn't help enough to solve the squatting issue. I was doing 5x5, and he eventually suggested doing 3x8 and doing a piriformis and lunge stretch inbetween each set. This was like a silver bullet, so much that I started the session with numbness and left without.

Anyway I haven't really had numbness since, but the back pain persists. I think it has to do with my hips because I always have an extreme tightness on the problem side. So much so that I can simply turn my foot to face directly forward and feel a huge stretch in my hip wanting to pull it back outwards again. What's the best stretch I can do to fix the internal rotation tightness? I'd ask the PT but I'm trying to keep the amount of sessions down, and never hurts to get multiple opinions.

Can some one rate/judge/help my workout routine?
Excluding warm up
8x3 60%
5x2 80%
3x1 max I can do
Is this fucking my gains?

How to get rid of dark circles under eyesight? Not sure if its from staring at a screen most of the day or bad sleeping schedule but I have had them for years now

How do you guys transition from bulking to cutting? Do you instantly drop your calories or do you do it slowly over time? I'm thinking about dropping 200 calories each week until I get to where I want to be.

What Body Fat % should I cut at? I'm at 25-26% (according to the calipers I just bought). I'm 6'3'' 188 lbs. I guess I would be skinny fat by Veeky Forums standards. I've got a bit of a gut and some small titties but everywhere else looks really skinny. What do?

That's a great idea. You could drop to 500 and be fine but slowly lower from there. The heavier you are the bigger your initial cut can be. But getting to 1000 should take several weeks.

I'll probably get ridiculing answers but fuck it:

If I take shits 3+ times a day, does it diminish the nutrients that I ate during the day?

Also, a lot of people say that being 1 1/2 hours at the gym is retarded but I have seen my gains go up since I always do back + biceps (with chest and triceps during my breaks), chest + triceps (with back and biceps during my breaks), and shoulders + legs while going to the gym every second day. Why the fuck should I change my routine and go more often if I can get my gains while staying one and a half hours and go every second day?

If i'm eating at my caloric deficit, does it matter if I hit my macro goals as long as i eat 100+ grams of protein?

sedentary

I found my issue with getting fit is not being able to eat enough, because i can't fit it all in. I can't eat my daily calorie intake because I have a shit appetite. I've been eating consistently and stuffing myself for the last few weeks, but my stomach hasn't stretched or returned to the eating habits I had in highschool. On top of that, I work in a factory, so i'm almost sure I burn off more calories than I gain. I can't fucking do it anymore. I can't force myself to eat anymore.

Is there anything to aid with my problem....

>tfw nobody is replying to the fucking answers

jesus fucking christ, this board is shit

regarding your question, I would say that your best bet is to get into shakes. I have the same problem (1,75m at 69kg) and I do it by making calorie dense shakes. for example, you can put in milk, oats, peanut butter, whey powder, cinnamon and have plenty of calories. take it prior to going to sleep and you have something to keep you filled with proteins until breakfast too

you will feel like shit if you don't eat enough fat
you won't have much energy and your lifts will suffer if you don't eat enough carbs

drink milk, super easy for me at least to down 2-3 liters a day
also eat lots of carbs like macaroni and bread, they don't fill you up too much

no

how is 1.5 hours retarded? I've had days anywhere between 20 minutes and 3hours depending on my program
also your program is probably extremely shit, go do something like SS if you're new

If I do something like this when I bulk, will I still end up getting decent gains but feel like fucking garbage?
>6x 4oz. chicken breasts for protein, gonna assume it's 700 cals and 100g+ protein, or maybe 5x scoops of whey.
>fill the rest of my calories up with junk food like eating a jar of cookie butter until I hit 2500 - 2700 calories

try it and find out, everyones different
my diet includes a shit load of junk food and alcohol (within macros) and I still get great gains and feel fantastic, but my lifting buddy says he has to eat real clean to progress

Which row variant is easiest to get your form correct on?

for me it was the pendlay, not much to get wrong there

>also your program is probably extremely shit, go do something like SS if you're new

I'm not new at all, been lifting for years. why not do some pull ups after hitting the bench? I feel like there's nothing bad about hitting other body parts as a side thing. it's just about 15 seconds per set anyway

Answer me faggots.

Is this stuff bad?

tesco.com/groceries/product/details/default.aspx?id=268029441

it seems fine from the nutrition labels but I am no expert on sweeteners

How do I strengthen my glute medius and minimus?

I've been lifting on and off for years but only really got serious about 8 months ago. For the past 8 months I've been on one massive cut, and I've lost about 45 pounds while (almost) retaining all my strength.

I'm happy with my weight loss and I want to get stronger. I want to start bulking soon, and I'm wondering what a good time frame is. Do I now bulk for another 8 months, and reverse again? Or should a bulk/cut cycle last only about 2 or 3 months?

2 or 3 months
You don't want to be proud of weight loss than just balloon to that size again.
That's how you go "packing on mass" Mac mode

Are there any good Veeky Forums related podcasts?

Is it ok to work out even if youre sore? I recently decided that being a fat cunt isn't gonna help me get women so I started workin out. Im pretty sore but I look at my self and want to keep at it. I just wanna know if it'll fuck me up

ok i was messaging a grill on tinder idk what to respond
i say
>any plans?
she says
>what do you mean?
what do

don't fucking ask, that's my number one rule. my girlfriend was the first girl that rejected me and after I immediately was straightforward about my intentions, it all changed.

don't ask, just say what you want. change "any plans?" to "hey, let's get a drink" and you will not only not waste your time but also immediately know what the chick thinks of you

She's prolly wondering if you mean plans for her future or like going out kinda plans. Be more specific.

TDEE calculator and MFP suggested calorie limits are different, which one should i go with?
using this calculator:
tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&age=20&g=male&lbs=190&in=64&act=1.2&bf=&f=1

I like to sautee a mix of vegetables and I like the mfresh so I end up using only half or less of eachvegetable so it isnt insane volumes.
Is it fine to just throw what's left into a tupperware? or is that a bad way to store them

Definitely not sedentary. Choose light or moderate. Sedentary is for fatties and DYELs
I set mine to lightly active and I've actually lost 3 or 4 lbs in a month

i did a trap workout yesterday, with both dumbells and barbells, i made sure i had equal form on both sides, yet i am only feeling sore in my left trap, my right trap is completely fine, did i do something wrong?

2 or 3 chicken breasts for dinner?
Ive been doing 3 but it feels a little excessive

how the fuck do I breath during a squat

Currently I breathe in while going down, then exhale while going up. Feel like not enough oxygen in the brain after a set.

I don't think its a weight issue.

jesus christ dude

You hold your breath through the entire squat

>breath in
>brace
>squat
>come all the way back up
>exhale

can lgd4033 powder be taken straight or should it be put in capsules

is lifting 6 days a week over training?. I'm 2 months in and bulking doing back/bi-chest/tri-legs/shoulders

do you wanna get big or not?

Would a week of eating less protein then usual cause any problems? On vacation so don't have access to what I normally would be eating

Due to my schedule some days I get home with only enough time for 6-7 hours of sleep. If I get 10 hours of sleep on other nights, enough so that it averages out to 8-9 a night, can I catch up on my gains? Or is it still suboptimal

This, but if you're struggling on the way up pushing the air out can help you get through a sticking point

So your foot wants to turn out? I do pic related to stretch out my glutes and lower back, I feel it on the outside of my ass mostly. Could help, especially if your issue is from sitting too much. But it sounds like something weird and specific, I would probably ask the physio.

Newbie here, 6'1, 184lb. Still very weak. I feel it takes me a particularly long amount of time to warm up and ingrain technique. When I follow SS guidelines to warming up (two sets with bar, then 1x5 1x3 1x2 working up), particularly with squats, by the time I get to work sets, I still feel cold and my form is messy.

Decided to take a day to work exclusively on form. Naturally did more volume than usual, filming myself and repeating each increment of weight a few times until it looked/felt better, and actually got to my puny work weight (145lb) and did it way better than before. Didn't attempt to do 3x5 though.

Should I just repeat that process every workout? Or regularly have a technique day?

Does abstaining from masturbation (nofap) actually provide physical benefits or is it all a placebo?
I'm currently trying nofap, have fapped almost every day for 5 years so it's difficult. By day 3 I can hardly touch my dick without cumming, I want to know if it's worth it to go through this or if there's no point.

Bump

Chemicals in the plastic bottle might be a bigger concern than the contents of the drink.

Are there any legal substances that actually increase testosterone levels?

I was talking physique-wise

I want to cook what I eat the whole day in the morning and still have it be 1000 calories. What should I eat? Bonus points if filling and not nasty

What macros do you need to hit? Can't really answer the question otherwise...

Really doesn't matter to me, I need to cut BAD

Squat question: Am I supposed to go down, hold it at the bottom, and then come back up? Or just reverse the motion as soon as I hit depth (assuming I'm squatting deep enough?) When I do the former, I feel all the tension leave my hamstrings and glutes and it feels like I'm doing all the work with my quads, but when I do the latter, I'm worried I might just be using momentum to drive it back up.

>tl;dr
Should quats look like one continuous motion?

dang help

pls am getting tired

What are the best excersise for increasing leg size, besides squats? Mostly in the thigh region.

I'm pretty skelly, but my legs are exceptionally skelly and I'm sick of that. Heck my legs are smaller than your average Instagram model..

What's easier on the knees both assuming proper form and any possible fuckups you could do?

Highbar or lowbar?

the weight is loaded more on the front of your legs in high bar, so I'd think any possible injury would be exaggerated in the high bar but if you have proper form your knee health shouldn't even be a consideration

I usually do the latter. The trick is to control the descent, rather than just drop all the way down and bounce up by sheer elastic force. Doesn't have to be super slow, but you should be in charge of the weight on the way down so you can choose where to stop. No need for a long pause at the bottom on a regular squat.

I can bench 3pl8, squat 2.5pl8, but can't even do lmao1pl8. Halp. 6'0 180lbs 20%bf.

which exercise are you having trouble with??

Other variations of squats, really. Front squats, hack squats, sissy squats etc. If we're talking about the back of your thighs, Romanian deadlifts, stiff-legged deadlifts, leg curls.
But the important thing is that you manage to increase performance on those exercises over time, while eating enough quality food. If you mess that up, all the exercises in the world won't help you.

The more acute the angle of the joint when it's bend, the more stress is on it. Generally speaking, in the highbar squat you bend your knees more and your hips less. In lowbar you bend your hips more and your knees less. This means more stress is on your hips in the lowbar squat and less on your knees. So if you're having knee issues, it makes sense to use the lowbar variation (temporarily anyway). If it's really bad e.g. rehab after ACL reconstruction or something, you can go for variations that have a 100% vertical shin (minimizing knee stress) such as an RDL.

That said, don't forget that WE WANT stress. Stress is why we train. When people say "hurr durr this or that stresses the knees", that's a good thing. Getting bigger and stronger is a response to being stressed. BUT the stress must not be too great compared to what YOU are conditioned to handle, or it will cause pain or injury instead

oh shit sorry, I'm really fucking tired. I meant I can dead 3pl8 squat 2.5 pl8 but can't bench 1pl8. It's 1am rn, sorry.

lol no problem user, I had the same problem.There's quite a few possible causes for a weak bench tho.

First off, you should check your form and be totally comfortable performing the movement. Here's a couple videos:
youtube.com/watch?v=BYKScL2sgCs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZqyMdpI2S54

Like the second video said, you may need more muscle before you can move any more weight. If you only do 3 heavy sets of 5, you'll probably reach a point where you're just tiring out your nervous system before your muscle feels any real stress. I recommend doing some assistance work with lower weight and more reps. This can be dumbell benching, and/or just doing a bunch of pushups throughout the day. My friends and I both improved our bench just by doing more "pressing" in our daily lives, and it may work for you.

Was young Mitt Romney Chad? Is current Mitt Romney Chad? What about 2007/2008 Romney?

when is the best time to fap for optimal muscle gain?

Is it too early for TM? Squatting 275x5 but having difficulty recovering between sessions and keeping progress going

Time to switch then. You can't use some arbitrary milestone for anything. When what you're doing no longer works well, something's gotta change (although that's not always the program, of course).

How important is getting .8 - 1 g of protein per lb of bw?