OHP

How do I increase my OVERHEAD PRESS? No matter what I do that fucking bar JUST. WON'T. MOVE.

Maybe more volume and one day push press for higher weights?

do some type of pressing (not necessarily overhead) 3x a week at a minimum, and do a lot of volume

Do more over head press

MIRIN

I want a body exactly like this. Thanks for the motivation

this, also adding in dumbbell presses and flyes at various inclines and arnold presses for front delts is key.

i increased my OHP whit 16,5lb in 3 weeks by increasing my training weight

I got 1.25lb plates and used them to get me through the 135lb sticking point. I also did high volume push press as an accessory. I just got 185x1 last week.

I really suck at OHP as well. I can barely do 8x40kg, although I can bench more than 100kg

that's a really fucked up ratio, do you have really short arms?

No, my arms are normal in lenght. I've had some shoulder issues in the past though, maybe that's the reason. My shoulders get tired very quickly when doing OHP

So anyway, started doing OHP two times a week now: one time high intensity (3-6 reps), one time high volume (8-12) reps. Hope it works

Micro plates, deloading, different rep scheme, etc, etc.

How do you get those sexy lines going down into your pants

low bf

would you rank OHP or DL as the more manly exercise?

>pick heavy shit off the ground
>physically hoist heavy shit over your head

clean and jerk

now thats just silly

EAT MORE FAGGOT. BULK HARD GET SOFT

What have you been doing?

Here's a vague progression method for a beginner from me, a 120kg, no backbend, presser:

>Get 0.5 ankle weights and use as microplates
>Not pressing 3xweek? Then press 3xweek.
>You won't gain strength unless you press heavy. Anything over 3 rep sets will not increase your total. Even 5 reps are pushing it and should solely be viewed as prep/conditioning/off-season work
>5x5 is good for early conditioning. Try 2xWU>3x5. Stop when you can't go up by 1kg in a month of training.
>Move to WUx2>4x3. Start with 5rm weight, add 1kg when you hit all of 4x3. Press two other days per week, 2nd day = 80% of 1st days weight, 3rd day = 90% of 1st day weight. Do for 8 weeks before moving on.
>Rotate that with a power phase of a month. I'd recommend 3x5 working very close to max each session on Day 1 = OHP, Day 2 = Seated OHP, Day 3 = Wide Grip OHP (not Kolkovs or BTNP, if you're wondering). The purpose of this stage is to iron out weaknesses - seated/wide = better drive, which is the primary problem early
>5-10x5 and 5-10x3 programs can be rotated as required. 3xweek. Start at 7/5rm respectively. Add set when all previous reps are completed. Add 1kg when 10x are completed.
>Want something different? Start with 60% of 1rm, do 3 reps, add 5kg and do 3 reps, continue doing this until you hit a single. Back off 5kg and do singles until bored.
>This is all you need until you hit 80-100kg.

Ohp in my opinion
I never see anyone but manly men doing ohp but all the homo gaybois do deads. They mostly do sumo deads but still.

I press™ one time a week and I hit 185 yesterday

For the overhead press I've always seen best results from good old linear periodization. I start out doing several sets of 15+ reps. Then simply add weight and reduce reps over time.
I'm not a naturally strong guy, but I have managed to strict press 2 kg below bodyweight with a fatbar.

This sounds like good advice, but only if you're already swole.
Honestly I would get injured following such an approach. But I'm old, so yeah...

DELOAD NIGGA!

I can see myself OHPing until I'm dead as I've always thought it was very forgiving. That said, I'm not old.

If you're 40+ you'll really find the H/L=80% of of H working weight/M=90% may be very forgiving and allow you you still press heavy. It works with everything - 3x10, 5x5, even singles. The L/M days work as a 'tonic' but will also do a lot to build movement patterns and you'll be working in roughly 65% 1rm=light & 73% 1rm=med during a 5x5, which is still within/close to strength benefit ranges.

Eat more or move onto intermediate programming (Volume/Light/Intensity).

thx for your post user (You)

Volume makes wonders for OHP. Been improving just adding 2 days of shoulder volume + regular OHP days

120 holy fuck. At what bodyweight? What's your bench?

What part of the lift are you failing? Off the chest, or lock out?

Drop OHP for a little bit and replace it with a similar variation.

If it's off the chest then do pause pressing, incline benching or pin pressing.

If it's the lockout then do push pressing or set the pins higher and do pin presses from the forehead level.

Not him, but lock out.

>Forever stuck at 65lb for reps ;_;

great post

If we're talking like 5-8 reps then you likely just have a form issue, somethings I think are uncommon are guys not flexing their glutes as hard as possible and some less experienced guys don't brace their core hard enough, if at all.

Also make sure you really fucking commit to the press, I've had times when the bar has completely stopped moving at my forehead and I still managed to lock it out.

Is your bench still progressing? Are you weak on rows? Do you have any accessory shoulder work?

Seeing your routine might let me help you better.

incline bench and dumbell OHP. those move my bar weight up reliably on barbell OHP

You press way more than me, but sets of 3 did wonders for me when it was still a focus of mine. Started off with a set of 3 and added one more rep once a week. Once I hit 5 reps, Id increase the load and decrease the reps again. Pressed 3 times a week. Hit 165x5 after 7 months but I started to plateau pretty hard after that coupled with my lack of interest.

Thinking about slowly tackling 225. Got any more advanced routines?

Is the Texas Method effective for increasing the press?

I have an injury that prevents me from benching, so I will press twice a week and do weighted dips on Wednesday

This sounds very convincing.
Additionally:
>Find out your weak spots on the exercise, i.e. not being able to lock out, tiring fast, basically what part of the movement is your worst.
You can do stuff like assistance exercises, stability exercises, get other muscles worked as in the back to have a better foundation, do a half-press or z-press
>Find out what works best for you

z press all day err day

hmm this is quite the predicament...

have you tried ohping more????

Not at all. My entire upperbody lagged when I ran TM. Just wasnt enough volume at all. My bench and OHP skyrocketed when I did them 3x a week at a decently high volume. Furthermore, I also needed accesories. I added cable flies and seated dumbbell press and really light lateral raises for hypertrophy. If my recovery was off, I'd just decrease volume on Wednesdays only.

TM brought me from 225x5 to 335x5on squat in a month and a week, but left my bench at 165x5. After adding the volume, bench went to 225x5 in 6 weeks.

What were your rep ranges on each day?

>Started off with a set of 3 and added one more rep once a week. Once I hit 5 reps, Id increase the load and decrease the reps again

That's actually an old school Doug Hepburn routine, which Pavel Tsatsouline has made internet famous over the last ten years or so.

>Got any more advanced routines?

I didn't want to bog down my earlier post in details, but all I recommended is from Tommy Kono, John Davis, pre-1972 press methods.

Here's a few I've done and can vouch for:

>Doug Hepburn
- 4-10x3. 80% max start. WU beforehand, 50x5, 60x1, 70x1. 2-3xweek. Add set every session or when able. at 10x3 add 1kg to press.
- 4-10x1. 90% max start. 2-3xweek. WU beforehand, 50x5, 60x1, 70x1, 80x1. Add set every session or when able. at 10x1 add 1kg to press.

>Train like the 1960s Russian's, e.g. Vlasov/Novak:
8-10x3, Start at 50-60% x3, add 5kg & do 3 reps, continue until you hit 1 - or 5kg less than max. 3xweek. Test max at end of month and move on. (Very good program - try to go by feel. Stop workouts or push when feeling right.

>A modern one from Jim Schmitz:
-3x3 50%, 60x2, 70x2, 80x2, 85 3-5x2. Add set every session. Add 2.5kg to all sets when completed. 3 cycles then test max and move on. 1xweek. Do a light day of 80% 3x2 of the top weight. On a third day do progressively heavier singles to 5kg less than your 1rm.

The moment i can press 60kg for 3x3 ill be at peace with the world.
Thanks for all the tips in this thread. I think OHP deserves more focus.

fuck all this specific "do x amount of sets of y for z days a week then do x^(e^pi) sets with 4.6% less weight" shit

just keep track of your weekly volume (inol or tonnage or sets or NL or whatever or all of them) and increase it as time passes.

120 here. I'd recommend avoiding accessories to begin with. The problem is EVERYTHING is weak when starting.

Of course, you should be switching from strength to power phases very often. E.g. working in the 1-3 rep range and then the 5-8 range.

I've found power phases of Day 1: OHP, Day 2: A lighter press movement (DB, seated, Kolkovs), Day 3: A medium press movement (wide grip, BTN). Going like that waves the weight/difficulty during the week which allows you to go all out on each one. 3-5x5 or try progressive to a top set.

Dude can you please post a whole routine of what you posted there? Ofcourse I could apply what you said to my routine but I'd like to see the whole thing you did to accomplish your OHP.

Currently at 1rm 75kg and want to achieve 80x5

Instead of microplates, can't you just put a 2.5 on one side of the bar and shift your grip slightly?

That sounds like me. Are you over 6ft?

this please. I want to become an OHP god like you. My 95 push press and 75 strict press feel good already but I wanna be an OHP god like you, pushing 120 kg strict over your head must make you the boss of your gym

How do you have that body but have a shit OHP?

I dont look nearly that juicy but I can OHP 155+

OHPing more isn't a cure-all solution.

Really? My bench has been going up from 225x5 since I started TM. 4th week in, bench is at 240x5 and going to test a 150x5 (up from 140x5) OHP this Friday.
But my squat for sure has shot up, I was at 235x5 4 weeks ago and shooting for a 285x5 this Friday
Maybe I'd have better progress with more volume, but I'm liking the progress I'm making currently

Shit my bad, I'm actually still on the 3rd week. even happier about my progress now thx bb

Because people have different hormonal levels, limb lengths, muscle insertions, skin complexion, leverages. Strength is more than size. In case you havent noticed, people of the same height and weight dont look identical

If nothing else works you, try out a 5-3-1 pyramid rep scheme (3x a week), lad. That helped me take hitting 60kg for 1 to hitting 60kg for 5 in about 4 weeks

go vegan

if you are gifted at bench pressing (judging from the fact that you benched 225x5 and squatted 235x5 at the start of TM, you are) then you will make progress even on TM for your bench

my experience with TM was the same as , it brought my squat up and did nothing for my deadlift or my bench press or overhead press (all of which took off with more volume)

Thanks user, will try it after my cut! for now im stuck at 5x2 50kg. How people can push over 100 is really beyond me.

I wish I was gifted at bench, I just neglected squatting for most of my lifting career lol
I suppose my stubby little arms and moderately large rib cage do help out with my bench. What would you recommend for bench to someone that isn't progressing on TM? I've heard nuckols being thrown around a lot lately

Micro plates are life. 2 lb jumps are way easier to progress with on OHP than 5 lb jumps.

Underrated post

nuckols routines are very very solid for bench (3x weekly ones are great), nsuns 5/3/1 if you want to press a shitload but want to also do OHP (the nuckols one are basically bench specialization cycles)

Any technique clues that helped you guys? Grip width etc.

Thumbs should be able to touch shoulders
Try to keep your elbow under the bar as much as possible
Flex abs and glutes for more stabilization.

I start with my knees bent to about a quarter squat, and push back up with my legs while lifting. Press increased big time.

Do you train with pushpress exclusively?

Practice your handstands and handstand push-ups. Once you master your body-weight, overhead press will be easy.

Or just stick with handstand push-ups.

my abs visibility when flexed are the same as OP picture but my V isn't there unless I'm either full/bloated or push that area out like sticking stomach out

how do I fix this? im already lean as fuck

Can't Deal with the blood in my head.

I randomly got my ohp up to 3XBW for like a month last year, its down now because i stopped doing what im down to right

do overhead press workouts twice a week:
first workout is
8x2 btn push press
5x10 hammer curls

second is a supersetted workout:
10x3 overhead press
10x3 ez bar curls

i dont know why, but this really worked for me. i got decently strong, but felt super explosivve when it came to overhead movements.

Microplates.

It'll make you feel like a pussy but it is the only real solution.

Get microing bitch.

Tfw everyone on this board is always complaining about their weak ohp but I have the opposite problem. I swear I'm not push-pressing.

>microplates are the only real solution

most people would be better off doing a proper, periodized program instead of memeing around with putting lifesavers on the bar to extend their obviously doomed (if 1lb increments are necessary) linear progression

Only a sith deals in absolutes.

whats your core routine, OP ?

that isn't op

BP/OHP/Incline DB bench. If youre on upper lower do 1 upper lower 3x5 bench, 1 3x5 ohp.

On the bench day do 3x8 incline db press
on the OHP day do 3x8 flat db bench

Make sure you keep pull/push to 2:1 if you can.

Bigger muscle = stronger muscle. Strong mire on that pic.

Just noticed that Christian Bale has a lisp

Arch upper back brace your core really really fucking hard

Fun fact:
>If you even have half an idea of what a proper workout is you don't need some faggot's standardized program to make gains.

Standardized programs are for the common people, people who can't or don't want to understand the underlying principles in things, sheep, and if you advocate these bullshit routines you are indeed a sheep.

Starting strength is fine and dandy but then you got these idiots that follow it to a T like it's the Bible and then you get results like pic related.

Do what the fuck you feel is right and if it works stick with it, and if it doesn't work then do some research and find shit that does work.

Layne Norton can't do shit for you, or can anyone else for that matter, and workout programs like his are just a means of building muscle, not the fucking bible of lifting.

Periodized programs do work, but that's only because it's the ACTUALLY FUCKING LIFTING part that gets you any gains.

Now shut the fuck up, deload or put microplates on.

oh shit now I can't unsee that.

>impresthive

You can use them to easily add about 22lbs to any given lift in a short period of time, but eventually you're going to have to change some things with your programming if you want to lift heavier weight. If you're going to change your programming then microplates are pretty unnecessary.

how did you jump from periodized program to starting strength (which is the exact opposite) you uppity sperglord?

T. Dyel

I did bad on OHP so I desided to train my shoulders until exhaustion. I trained my shooulders so hard I couldt lift a 65 lb ohp. How do I hit my muscle group so that I progress. I do PHAT currently but been working for 2 years. Is PHAT good for me. Is it bad that I hit bench and I up once a week??

>be fat
>eat surplus
>get even fatter but stronger
>blame the program

In what % range?

Arnold pressing is more aimed at the lateral and rear delts than the front delt.

My oppressed american.
Same here. I can throw up OHP weight like it's nothing and my squat and deadlift are fucking garbage. 6'4'' master race reporting in.

Goal body right there for me, mirin hard.