How did everything go from cute, pretty, feminine, colorful and pleasant to brutal, manly, dirty, dark and rugged?

how did everything go from cute, pretty, feminine, colorful and pleasant to brutal, manly, dirty, dark and rugged?

Im guessing it was the rise of citizens rights at the expense of noble extravagance and the rise of industry at the expense of craftsmanship

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because the background changed from the countryside to a city? Try maintaining the same background for a better comparison.
Cities have always been dirty until the late 19th century sanitation movement.

Because more accuracy.

these are some shit examples to compare mang

Because Victoria

There are actual reasons for that, related to the Liberal Revolutions.Manliness never died, it just became unfashionable in the 17-18th centuries. Virility started to be heavily associated to the peasantry, and so was reviled by the noble men of the Ancien Regime. They behaved most effeminately and dressed like fags most of the time for that reason.

When a good part of the old nobles lost their heads, the rest kind of decided to adopt a more stern and in a way laconic look.

pull your head out of your ass and start using it

Did the great depression contributed to world-wide lack of color during the early to mid 20th century?

yes

>Virility started to be heavily associated to the peasantry, and so was reviled by the noble men of the Ancien Regime.

Yet they carried on affairs and plowed around like nobody of the peasantry would ever be able to get away with and that was viewed as par for the course.

Industrial revolution. Smog and smoke and soot everywhere.

Heels and wigs are excellent ways for manlets and hairlets though.

suck my dick

>how did everything go from cute, pretty, feminine, colorful and pleasant to brutal, manly, dirty, dark and rugged?
It has always been brutal, manly, dirty, dark and rugged. It's just that you aren't focusing on those parts and focusing on the very few people who had a splendid time eating pastries on their kilometers-spanning gardens.

no, im comparing the pastry eaters of their respective era

Basically the upper classes started to notice that the queer fish look they used to have was way way too disconnected from the public, and for the greatest majority of men and women, the past excesses started to be seen as distasteful. Besides, it must have been fucking excruciating to wear a wig almost your size

Yeah sure they did, just as nobles have been doing since the concept of a noble appeared.

I assume so as well. The royals and nobility were more grounded in the 19th century due to social progress, plus coupled with the technological progress that created practical factory made clothing instead of finely crafted artistic clothing.

I guess in a society where the elite is more grounded it requires them to be manlier and more normal in behavior, unlike the baroque era where the elites are so invincible they can behave like they are above getting their hands dirty.

Because those are movies

Dull Anglo hegemony

I remember reading that there was a "Cult of Morning" in the late 1800s Like people got really into mourning and a lot of the fashion and designs tried to vaguely incorporate "death and morning". This could have contributed to it. It was a long time since I read about it so I can't remember the details.

>image

Who do you think I'm even referring to?!

>at the expense of craftsmanship
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arts_and_Crafts_movement
>The Arts and Crafts movement emerged from the attempt to reform design and decoration in mid 19th century Britain. It was a reaction against a perceived decline in standards that the reformers associated with machinery and factory production. Their critique was sharpened by the items they saw in the Great Exhibition of 1851, which they considered to be excessively ornate, artificial and ignorant of the qualities of the materials used.

And stop taking history lessons from films.