Is low volume training the ultimate red pill?

Is low volume training the ultimate red pill?

The answer is yes, yes it is.

exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowVolumeTraining.html

One set is literally all you need.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158142
notehub.org/6cvvk#tips-for-rear-delt-development)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>need
Yeah, 1 set to failure will make you get stronger, if you're a beginner. More volume is more gains though.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22158142

The increased work yields diminishing results, but still more results than if you didn't do the work.

If you want the "most efficient" routine, then doing 1 set to failure with moderate/heavy weight on compound lifts 3 days a week is the way to do it.

If you want "most EFFECTIVE", then you have to bust your ass. Volume is king. That's why all the best powerlifting and bodybuilding programs have a shitload of volume.

>1 set to failure will make you get stronger, if you're a beginner
Wrong, it works for all training levels. The article covers this.
>More volume is more gains though
Not necessarily and the returns are extremely diminishing at best. Plus it doesn't cover the ability to train at far, far, FAR greater intensity+frequency when using only one set.
>If you want "most EFFECTIVE", then you have to bust your ass. Volume is king. That's why all the best powerlifting and bodybuilding programs have a shitload of volume
No, it's because they're all on steroids and that's one of the premises of the article that the training wisdom is passed down from an era where knowledge was gained when steroids were legal. Training this way as a natty is a recipe for disaster.

What are your 1RMs?

Imagine I'm Eric Bugenhagen ;)
Dont at me.

>low volume
>still loudly slam weights

Eric has done traditional high volume training for years (where he built most of his strength), and he get his volume from loads of 1 rep attempts. It's not "one warm-up, one set to failure." Literally nobody fucking does that. Because it's garbage for performance and doesn't fucking work.
Do it if you want. Just don't be surprised that you continue to look like shit and have 1RMs that are only good for a laugh.

> Eric has done traditional high volume training for years
And that led him away from traditional training where he makes his PR's. So much for that logic.
> and he get his volume from loads of 1 rep attempts
Nope. He doesn't do volume. He does intensity+frequency and almost always in the one set range.
> Just don't be surprised that you continue to look like shit and have 1RMs that are only good for a laugh
I've already hit a PR on football bar bench press on day 3 of this method and I feel way better than before so go fuck yourself kid.

You too can make PRs on all the time if you find random meme lifts you've never done before, then try to max out on them every day. Eric does this, then he plateaus after a few weeks, then moves on to a new lift. He's not getting significantly stronger from it.

Doing lower volume, high intensity lifting can work well if you go to the gym 6+ times per week. For the average person that can only go 3-4 times per week, it's garbage.

What was your PR? What are your PRs in other lifts? You seem like a beginner lifter. Literally anything you do will make you stronger, if you do it often and with intensity. Don't get lulled into thinking it's actually working well. What you're doing is peaking. You will have a temporary bump in strength, and it will feel great. However, you will begin to plateau (just like Eric) before too long. That's because you need more than 1 work set to actually provide a strong enough stimulus to promote adaptation. I guess you could switch to another lift to spam every day (like Eric), and see PRs again for a few weeks, but you will still probably have the same total 1 year from now.

Name a single bodybuilder or top level strength athlete that does this as their main training method.

> You too can make PRs on all the time if you find random meme lifts you've never done before, then try to max out on them every day. Eric does this, then he plateaus after a few weeks, then moves on to a new lift
okay cuckboy let's see you do a 500 lb dip. "meme lift" my fucking ass. Conventional lifts are meme lifts for needle in the butt faggots.

> Doing lower volume, high intensity lifting can work well if you go to the gym 6+ times per week. For the average person that can only go 3-4 times per week, it's garbage
I have a home gym so that's not a problem for me.

> Name a single bodybuilder or top level strength athlete that does this as their main training method
They listed several in the article but you didn't read it so I'm not gonna bother with your shitpost.

lol, if you want to push the stregth envelope you have to do the volume.
no way to argue round this point.
low volume = low gains

wrong. low volume = optimal gains. the additional volume only serves to slow recovery and force you to use submaximal weight.

there are massive diminishing returns past one set. it's better to optimize that one set than do multiple crap sets.

no such thing as optimal when you're chasing a maximal number.
if you want limit strength, you need to do the volume.
no way to argue round this point.

I'm not as strong as Eric, but I have >1,300 total and a 6 plate deadlift weighing 193.

Mike Mentzer put 90% of his muscle doing normal high volume work before he ever played with lower volume work.

Casey Viator is a scam artist that claims to put 63 lbs of muscle in 28 days.

Yates also did high intensity work with lower volume, but he would do it for several lifts working the same muscle. Not just one lift per body part. This ends up being a decent amount of volume. Not Sheiko tier volume, but volume nonetheless.

The gains are diminishing, but not that diminishing. You get stronger from doing more work. That's why all the best bodybuilders and strength athletes work their asses off.

>pic related

A single, maximal set is most efficient (gains made per unit time). It's NOT the most effective.

> That's why all the best bodybuilders and strength athletes work their asses off
no that's why iniecting a shitload of supplements lets you overtrain. i'm natty. you're a retard if you look up to them.

>more volume more gains meme

this cracks me up, its about stressing the muscle and tearing it so it repairs back stronger but you can only cause so many micro tears before repairing it becomes either ineffective short term to make gains which translate to actual damage.

High volume is good for people who don't quiet know how to find or be able to control a weight without either over doing it and risky bad form in low reps but heavier.

High reps ensure that at least the movement is more likely to follow correct form and tear the muscle, you can do the same with lower reps.

Reason you can't do it with 1 reps is the opposite, you somewhat can but you still need consistency, 1 rep my utilize a lot of muscle but not tear into it enough as oppose to lower weight continuously cause contraction.

and remember fatigue doesn't always equal muscle micro-tears, lactic build up occurs due to any stress involved in the muscles and there isn't a lot of oxygen to be used when lifting so you can feel tired and unable, but essentially if you don't target the muscle your just exerting energy. Oxygen is an energy carrying system remember this.

The article isn't about one rep training it's about one set training. One set could be 20 reps. The keyword here is intensity.

It doesn't matter either way because the whole article is decrying the routines developed by roided lifters

All the natty guys in the USAPL do high volume training too. Steroids let you do even more volume, sure, but that doesn't mean 1 set is best for natties. Unless you're going to claim that literally every strong guy in the USAPL is on roids too. In that case, you're just a retard that has never picked up a heavy weight in his life, and blames his shit progress on lack of roids rather than lack of effort.

the muscle damage done in a typical session is miniscule - recovery demands are practically nothing above base level.

the difference happens with higher levels of volume for muscle growth, like an order of mgbitude higher. low volume is worthless.

> Unless you're going to claim that literally every strong guy in the USAPL is on roids too
i have no reason to believe they aren't. anyone involved in lifting as a sport is straight retarded to not be on gear.

They get busted and receive lifetime bans. There are plenty of feds that don't drug test. If you had ever been to a powerlifting meet, you would know the difference between drug tested and roided meets.

It's really apparent that you're a beginner lifter at this point. I strongly suggest you don't do this retarded training, but do whatever you want. It will not give you the results you want in the long term (which is why nobody fucking does it). Your attitude toward lifting needs to change, or you're going to end up as a regular in no-fap threads, TRP threads on /r9k/, and a mod on r/incels.

this fucking guy lmao

you're a joke dude. everyone in competitive lifting is on gear or they're shit. this a fact.

i've already seen enough to know low volume training works better for nattys from the scientific studies to my own body where i already feel better and make gains faster.

the difference happens when you can feel the contraction of your muscles. Higher volume can achieve just as much as lower volume with heavy reps, however there is a base line when anything under a certain amount of movements is just exerting energy.

High volume, low volume. Blow it out your ass, it comes down to actually tearing that muscle, and you can feel when its burning.

One set is too many, ok?

Bro, you need to focus, ok?

One set is beginner shit, ok?

Zero sets, ok? That's all you need. Zero exercises, zero sets, ok?

*nu-metal plays in the background*

t. Eric

That's just not true. Most of the top guys in the USAPL are natural. You're a beginner lifter with a 500 total that hasn't competed in jack shit. You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about.
>feel better
>make gains faster
You're a beginner. You could do LITERALLY ANYTHING and make gains better and faster. Once your progress stalls (and it will, much sooner than you think), remember this thread. Remember the fact that nobody that is actually strong or looks great does only 1 fucking work set. Remember the study I posted above showing that more work results in more strength. In the meantime, I'll keep doing higher volume work, and start working for a 7 plate deadlift.

>top competitive lifter
>natty
feel free to stop posting anytime.

>everyone is on drugs, EXCEPT FOR BUGENHAGEN

im sorry but i honestly dont care anything about the world of roidhead competitive lifters or naive retards who claim they're natty nor bugenhagen for that matter his method is dumb and low volume only pertains per set of each lift, not necessarily low total volume. for example i workout full body every day but i only do one set per lift but hit most body parts more than once with different lifts. you'd know what im talking about but you didn't even read the article. pls kys sooner the better.

>Name a single bodybuilder or top level strength athlete that does this as their main training method.
Literally every weightlifter that matters trains 12 times a week (2x day, rest on Sunday)

except you are wrong

>low volume = optimal gains

this has been proven wrong for every muscle group by myoelectric monitoring

>All the natty guys in the USAPL do high volume training too.

Every single person who even sniffs competitively level is on steroids. If you don't believe this you are either ignorant or disillusioned

Low volume minimalist training has never worked for me.

I'd rather do two exercises that hit the chest with greater intensity but only one set each than do just bench press for 3-5 sets at a lower intensity. I'm right your wrong.

Why in the fuck would someone on gear compete in a tested federation, deal with random drug tests, and win absolutely no money while paying to compete when there are untested federations?

"Lol everyone strong that doesn't use my method is on steroids"- you

You sound like a teenage girl gossiping, stop. Be a man, and admit that many methods work, and just because someone has better results than you does not mean they are on gear.

Because appearing legit opens up other opportunities. And the fact is it happens so why don't you ask them? It's piss easy to not get caught. The bigger question here is why you're so desperate to hide these facts? You clearly have a vested interest in it. There is money to be maid through endorsements.

You sound like a butthurt faggot trying to defend your roidhead methods to save face.

You caught me man, I'm obviously a roided powerlifter going on Veeky Forums to spread misinformation.

You can't even read so I don't know why this topic is so important to you. It's specifically not for sports. Try reading the article before commenting next time you fucking retard.

Your right, I'm super invested in this topic...

And I was initially responding to your comment where you specifically mention competitive lifters, so your it's not for sports argument doesn't really follow

I didn't bring up competitive lifters you fucking retard I don't care anything about them and no desire to associate with them in any way.

Was the first comment I responded to.

"you're a joke dude. everyone in competitive lifting is on gear or they're shit. this a fact."

if you're a competitive lifter and not roiding you're a retard full stop even worse if you compete in a fake natty league

>"Many scientific studies demonstrate one set is almost as effective as multiple sets, if not just as effective in strength and muscle hypertrophy (Starkey & Pollock 1996). However, these studies have been criticized for using untrained subjects."

time to bring in those studies on trained subjects OP

"experienced recreational weightlifters. "

What did they mean by this?

Also, how is that single set performed? Going untill failure? Failure with forced negatives? Failure + 10 assisted? One perpetual dropset? I'm really liking your mindset though.

Also, in this article (notehub.org/6cvvk#tips-for-rear-delt-development) Dr. Israetel (lifting coach and training science lecturer) says that you need to increase your amount of sets for each body part on a weekly basis until your MRV (max recov. vol.) because this drives the adaptation that your muscles need to change. How am I going to achieve this with one set per muscle? Go further into failure? I doubt that sufficient studies have been conducted on this...

Alright man you do yup

Must be lonely being so pessimistic about things you don't even compete in though, so much so that you believe all successful people are comitting felonies

read the rest of the article. it covers everything and answers every dumb question or "objection" in this thread already. doing one set in stead of more sets allows for greater intensity, frequency and variety. low volume is objectively superior.

Have fun losing to roiders every time and coping.