Is lifting healthy?

My parents are worried that I lift weights

their reasoning is that when I grow old, I will be injured all over. Seeing, that I've already had one injury (pulled muscle during squats), I couldn't refute their claim.

how true is this Veeky Forums? Is weight lifting healthy long term wise?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Your parents are right, lifting is what you would call a "gateway hobby" soon enough youll start injecting needles and losing your balls

what if you don't do those? I can't imagine myself ever roiding to be quite honest (been lifting for 1 year)

They're wrong and you won't be. Lifting not only helps you preserve a healthy cardiovascular system and stave off atrophy, but it also has a positive effect on your brain function and will help prevent dementia in your old age. But you have to start doing it now, when you're young.

Unless you sit in a chair all day then you should not be injured during squats.
Just stretch and worm up properly.
You don't even need to do that, just don't be a bitch.

>Unless you sit in a chair all day then you should not be injured during squats.

I-I actually do.... (CS phd student)

for warm ups I spend 5 minutes jogging and 5 minutes intense rowing

I noticed that especially rowing helps me get warmed up (I might drop running and do 10 minutes rowing instead)

Rowing is great, as it involves all your major joints.

egolifting is dangerous, overtraining is dangerous, lifting through pain is dangerous

all that overindulgent masochistic gym culture is dangerous

but lifting heavy things and putting them down again is very good for you

Ok.jpeg
When i say warm up i mean mobility and movment warmup.
Those are terms i made up in my head but let me elaborate.
Mobility is getting all your muscles lose, you are incel to you need to stretch your hip flexors, do some slav squats and push your knees out and do some foam rolling shit.
Do light pause squats with the larges rom you can.

t-thanks for the advice guys

thanks, I will not give up

>when I grow old, I will be injured all over
It's possible.
If you chase the next pr you WILL eventually injure yourself, if you start going to meets and get competitive, or if you roid and get stronger than your body 'should be', you'll make it much more likely.
If you try not to get injured, aren't overly aggressive on low reps, proper form and so on, it's not that bad.
Much better than being a couch potato, anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Truer words have never been spoken. Thank you (and/ or your parents) for not being an idiot.

my parent is an idiot tho

Lifting will actually improve your life growing older.
Being sedentary will make your life so much worse getting older.

I've seen people in their 90's acting 60, and people in their 60's acting 90.

Health is wealth.

An apple a day, keeps the doctor away.

Wait until your natty progress stalls

>this is what a new lifter looks like
the post

A pulled muscle is nothing, let it heal and you're back 100%.

Lifting can shorten your lifespan in some cases (but also running can) but that does not mean it is not healthy

Lifting leads to vainity and sodomy; no it is not healthy.

Sometimes, the apple indeed falls far from the tree.

> sodomy
Can confirm. Yesterday me and my gym bros took roids, broke into a barn and raped like 100 pigs.

yeah dude. as a natural you wont get stupidly strong and fuck yourself up. lifting helps increase bone density. for a long time it helps keep and increase muscle mass if you go it into old age. and if you stop for some reason you will be able to get back into it faster than someone who ins't conditioned to it. when u get older it is essential that you keep muscle and bone mass. when u get old you will be stronger and have a much better quality of life. in my local area i see all these old people in those electric chair car thingies. if they had more bone mass and muscle mass they would be much better off/ have a higher quality of life.

>parents say you'll get injured
punch them in the dick

Underrated benefit of lifting, especially for the type of people who tend to be on the chan is posture. Mine is better now than it would likely have ever been had I not started lifting.

It really isn't healthy if you want to keep your joints or risk bursting an aneurysm... there are plenty of repercussions to putting that level of stress on your body.

t. ortho resident

and this is absolutely incorrect. What you're thinking is high-intensity interval training, like sprinting, and many body-weight exercises that emphasize explosive energy. Moderate cardiovascular exercise is one of the best things you can do for your health, the neurobiological and cardiovascular benefits are incredible. lifting heavy weight does not benefit your HEALTH, and we all know the injuries, chronic and acute, that come from it.

do whatever you want. I know people here take steroids and such, so it's not like the people here care about their health anyway.

> tfw brittle bone and can never truly push the lifting limits.

Always gotta be safe or end up like one of those crazy wrist / ankle snap videos.

Lifting really isnt healthy. Its pretty shit overall, even.

Don't pay attention to old people, don't get mad at them or validate them. They are weak of body and mind and soon to pass.

This tbqh senpai