Can we get a thread for sports related fitness going?

Can we get a thread for sports related fitness going?

>What sports do you do?
>Did lifting help you with your sport?
>How do you balance both?
>What advice can you give?

I'm interested in getting into boxing.
I want to keep getting stronger but I have no idea how to balance that with the recovery time I need for increasing my lifts.

Just increase your work capacity and don't be a bitch.

I think im going to do some BJJ. Gotta really learn how to defend myself. All martial arts I took as a kid was a joke

pretty hard to both lift and box seriously. one will have to just be for fun

this

how do you mean increase work capacity?
you can try not to be a bitch as much as you want to, but that's not going to make you recover in time for a 3x5 405 squat PR, will it?

I've been thinking about increasing rest days from 1 to 2-3 to allow for more time exactly for this reason, but I'm not sure if the adaptation process will actually keep up

>BJJ
>Martial arts that are a joke
Pick two

I want to be a walk on to my college baseball team.

I had to quit baseball in high school because I had to work because family finances change. I was recruited for high school ball too.

Any tips or advice on walking on in general? Any tips on making a comeback in baseball or fitness training for baseball?

who here boxes and lifts?

i'm fucking struggling brahs, really wanna get some volume since im skelly but also wanna join boxing club and get serious about it, the problem is im p fucking poor so eating healthy would be pain in the ass

what do you fellas do to balance boxing and lifting? planning to do 6 days a week, one liftan one boxing and one day rest, would that be stupid?

make sure you go for volume in your sets, don't lift heavy

one thing you have to keep in mind is having big muscles is not suitable for boxing, focus less on bicep curls and more on functional exercises like deadlifts, squats, ohp

some niggers aren't worth the (You)

so ss wouldn't be optimal judging by this? which routine do u think will be good for 3 days a week, and how many sets are we talking about?

b-bump

>what sports do you do?
Swimming & climbing
>did lifting help you with your sport?
Sure. That and body weight excercising is a neat combination as you gain some muscle mass.
>how do you balance both?
By planning ahead. Make sure I know where I'm going, for how long etc.
If you're doing a particular sport, it's a good idea to talk to your coach/es for advice on how to work a lift routine into your sports. These people usually know what they're doing!

>gets choked out

>What sports do you do?
tennis

no

i don;t besides the diet

technique > muh muscles

Lower the volume on lifting if you are serious about sports. As in, you can still put up big numbers, but don't overdo it on the reps at the same time.

Used to have a triple bw deadlift and competed in Judo/BJJ at the same time. It's possible. I stick with doubles/triples most of the time when I hit 60% of my 1RM or above.

how did lifting not help with your forehand at the very least?

someone post that virgin vs chad pic

>doing 2 things that work against each other

Everlast is shit.
Title makes good gloves at a good price, ideal for beginners. Don't forget to wrap.
Boxing and lifting don't play very well together, read up on it.

I'm boxing 4 days a week and lift 2 days a week doing full body workout. I've tried working out 7 days a week and it's definitely too much for my body to handle, especially if you're constantly sparring .

>been doing grappling for a few weeks
>tournament for newbies next month
>want to join but I would be considered welterweight
>at my height I should be in feather weight
What should I do to cut 20 pounds in a month?

>what sports do you do?
Collegiate rowing
>Did lifting help you with your Sport?
Yes
idk go to rowing practice then hit the gym? Not hard.
Deadlifts, Cleans, and FAT ERGOS

>What sports do/did you do?
Wrestling
Fuck yes
Lift at dawn and practice 3-4 hours in the afternoon
Explosive and compound lifts helped me out the most

My advice? Don't, you're already very light at welterweight, and probably don't have 20lbs to spare to easily cut in a month. You'll be in no shape to compete if you make it.

Protip for those who want to get stronger in boxing. Lifting helps for sure, but check your form. I've known twigs to hit harder than some bigger guys due to their form. Are your hips rotating during your straight? Are you stepping in with your jab or simply tossing it out there. Core And motion contributes more to punching power than just raw lifting.

Wrestlefag here what exercises would be good for takedown power (leg attacks)

THIS THIS THIS THIS

When I started boxing, my jabs were weak as fuck compared to my peers even though I was stronger than all of them. Mirror practice and bag work with good form did wonders.

>Sport
Rugby
>Lifting help?
Absolutely
>How do you balance both
I would go to practice for the cardio and body profiling essentially then go lift
>Advice
Rugby is fun, squats are your best friend

atg squats, db split squats, walking lunges, box jumps and romanian deadlifts.

Here's what I've gathered that helps increase your punching power assuming perfect form

Your core. This is for twisting into your punch for a simple explanation. Maybe the most important.
Russian twists are the best for this imo, but any core work is good.

Your ass, hammies, and quads.
This is to drive into your punches harder. Anyone with a huge ass probably has good punching power.
Kevin Randleman, Mike Tyson, Tyron Woodley for some easy examples (Randleman isn't that great but he hits like death when he does punch).
Hip thrusts, squats, and rdl are great. Take your pic of leg exercises.

Those are pretty much universal amps to your power. Imo these will also help.

Forearms for more weight going forward. Plus any forearm work will likely keep your wrists in good form.
Wrist roller, static holds (or dls that help with ass too), grippers.

Your pecs and lats to a degree. Mostly for going forward and pulling back. I feel a little bit faster if I do bag work afterwards and I feel like I hit harder as a result. This might just be a placebo but it seems like it helped.

When I swing a hammer really hard too, I feel it in my bicep a bit. I don't know if there's a direct connection but heavier arms doesn't hurt if not.

And calves for moving around faster as well as balance. If you can push off really fast with your calves, why would this not translate to more energy to your punch? Mind you this would benefit more from not stepping down into your punches, but that's not a bad thing to be mobile.

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Thanks user I've been rowing for 3 years and my 2k isn't even below 8 minutes :(

absolutley user thanks for sharing, moar tips if you can

Beside the power thing, I also think it's very important to keep your shoulders healthy. Not exactly stronger, but healthy.

I know I have a little bit of issues with shoulder currently, and it absolutely affects throwing elbows both in speed and power. Plus the pain. Sometimes the odd punch as well.

I hurt my shoulder from doing something stupid personally, but I believe something like band pullaparts and facepulls would do wonders to keep you from injuring it from normal usage. Barbell Rows as well, which also benefit your core work and add to size and allow you to move your shoulders and arms a little bit harder and maybe faster (again, unconfirmed, but it doesn't hurt).

Which on that note, db rows with phatgrips with a lot of things I was talking about earlier. Not only do you have to prevent your core from rotating, but it also works your middle traps (which you might not be hitting and aids in shoulder movement), lats, your forearm size and strength, and your grip strength (if you do bjj, grip strength is incredibly important). It also strongly resembles ground and pound. And I don't think anything that looks a lot like weighted punching is going to diminish your punching power. Again, unconfirmed, so take it as you will, but I know for a fact it's not going to hurt it.
I might come up with more if I think about it. These are mostly things I was curious about that isn't exactly spelled out for you. Everything online is mostly "lats for power", so that's not a big help.

Oh yeah, the fucking serratus.

It literally pulls your scapula forward to throw a punch. Really important.

It also seems like it plays a part in defense too, since it lines the ribcage. IMO, it would help you from tweaking a rib and should add some protection from punches.

You work this from pushups (not bench since you keep your scapula retracted in bench), and getting into the bench position, but instead without bending your arms, moving your arms up and down a couple inches.

So, the 3 big areas for increasing pre existing punching power are:

Your legs and ass. This is for driving energy up into the rest of your body and for driving you punch forward.

Your core (primarily twisting).
This is for torquing your energy and body into the punch. I explained this terribly I know.

Your serratus.
For literally driving your arms/shoulder forward into the punch. For this purpose, I assume your lats/pecs (I'd say front delts, but anyone working pecs hits this a lot) play a part in this as well.

is correct when it comes to tennis. It doesn't take a lot of strength to swing autistically hard, but technique is more important.

Keep at it user, cleans and diddlys help alot with rowing for leg strength. Also, keep making fat ergo gains. Erging sucks but there is no better way to get better at rowing than erging. Make this year the year to get under 8. We are all gonna make it brah.

Pretty much anything for legs on rows. Those seated rows and squats are great for the rowing machine as well.

But yeah, just using a rower will get you the best gains.

You would get BTFO by a white belt in BJJ

Nigga I am a white belt in BJJ, have fun when some spastic REEEEEEEEE's across the street at you and knocks your lights out

neverlast is shit

You cannot be swole and be a boxer. You will lose muscle mass, but gain tone. It's basically perma cut. Specially if you're serious about it. Lifting heavy makes you stiff and slower which is the opposite of what boxing wants. So yes, you can box for fun and all, but you won't be serious about it.

If you were serious about boxing you would do another kind of lifting. Higher reps, explosiveness, lots of cardio.. and so on. Boxers never "bulk"

Sure you can. I don't even know where this "muscle makes you slow" shit comes from besides Joe Rogan or looking at people like Pianoman. Look at how fast Tyson was and he was massive for his height. Pretty much a prime example of too much muscle for his height actually.

Or Anthony Joshua for today's example.

The issue is that there isn't enough training for getting swole without sacrificing training for boxing. Any routine for boxers isn't as in depth as a bodybuilder routine. You just won't be pushing enough weight to get massive. Not only that but they have to watch their weight as well. Even if they could do a full out ppl routine, they would likely be bulking into another weightclass. Which is counter productive to making weight.

With roids this is another story of course, but simply put, technique > strength. Though strength is important, otherwise you would never see them fairly swole or working out in the first place.

The guys who are slow are the ones in terrible shape in the first place, or they roided out to bodybuilder levels. I don't think it's possible to get naturally big enough that it hinders your mobility unless you get really fat as well.

Don't spar if you don't need to

what about if I only ever wanted to spar?
don't intend to compete

first of all I'm not that guy you replied to
I think what he said mostly aplies to the lower weight classes (anything below cruiserweight) where speed is much more important

how do you explain mike tyson's physique then

How do I get faster at sprinting? I want to get on the track team for 100 m