Alright so according to Veeky Forums bodyweight exercises are not effective when building muscle

Alright so according to Veeky Forums bodyweight exercises are not effective when building muscle.

I dont undersand why, why doesnt just doing a shit ton of volume get you the same results as doing really low volume but with extreme weight? Doesnt it get you the same results? Dont you do the same effort in the end?

Besides, woudnt adding weight to your bodyweight exercises get you the same reults in the end?

And even then, if you are actually right and bodyweight exercises arent good for hypertrhophy, what do they achieve? Endurance? Strenght?

Discuss.

Aside from a few fph threads and the /r9k/ bait, this is just /r/fitness. You're falling for the circlejerk

>what do they achieve? Endurance? Strenght?
the ability to say 'I can do 34 push ups' and that's about it

being able to do 100 pushups with light weight =/= being able to do 1 rep of bench press with a shit ton of weight, and vice versa

one trains for endurance, the other trains for strength

34? Heh
Nothing personnel kid

So you want a progressive bodyweight routine instead of only doing more reps. With push-ups, prop your feet up on something high, or only use one arm.

So if I weigh 400lb and do 100 push ups it's less effective than if I go bench 135lb?

Pull ups, dips and hanging leg raises are extremely effective.

Of course they are. Several bodyweight exercises are proven to be extremly effective. I dont understand why some guys literally despise bw exercises.

>I dont undersand why, why doesnt just doing a shit ton of volume get you the same results as doing really low volume but with extreme weight? Doesnt it get you the same results? Dont you do the same effort in the end?
the basic idea is your body adapts to what you are doing, and doing a million pushups is a very different type of activity than lifting heavy shit. heavy strength training builds muscle fibers because you are lifting weight near the limit of your capabilities. hypertrophy training increases the fluid in your muscles used for glycolysis because you are more than capable of handling the weight and the failure point is running out of local/cheap energy stores. if you are already strong enough to do pushups past this point you are basically doing aerobic exercise

>Besides, woudnt adding weight to your bodyweight exercises get you the same reults in the end?
yea sure but that isn't bodyweight anymore is it. you could get the same effect by doing increasingly esoteric pushup positions meant to reduce your mechanical advantage. but really just find a normal strength or hypertrophy program based on which you want to focus on, there are a lot more resources available

>I dont understand why some guys literally despise bw exercises.
It's Veeky Forums dude, they are all autistic

Good explanation. Thanks senpai.

Veeky Forums thinks powerlifting movements like deadlifts are necessary for bodybuilding when in reality they arnt even effective at all for that purpose.

If you could do pushups under 400lbs of body weight, that would put you at 260kg in strength. Your bench mark however is a flimsy 61kg in weight. The flaw in your logic is that you think you could do a pushup in the first place. If you can't bench at LEAST 200kg, what makes you think you'd be able to lift your own sorry ass in a pushup?

W-what are some of these said effective bodyweight exercises? Asking for a friend.

It does but the restriction of your bodyweight necessitates a small range of exercise that is at any one time effective at building muscle, and some of the more advanced ones require years of training to access and utilize

Couple that with limited leg work and you've got the recipe for a comparatively ineffective method of building muscle.

Get a heavy bar on your back or in your hands and you're instantly activating large amounts of muscle mass in just a few basic movements.

Note: weighted dips and chins is not bodyweight training.

You can't make your body heavier to put more resistance into bodyweight exercises

you can load a barbell as heavier as needed indefinitely

GOAT routine would be body weight exercises under progressively heavier gravity fields like in DBZ

I am 200lb and I can do a few push ups, but I can't even bench 135.

Is my form just bad? Are my push ups not real push ups? Aren't you only using a percentage of your body weight for push ups anyway? WHY DOES BY BENCH SUCK AHGGHHGHGHGH

>GOAT routine would be body weight exercises under progressively heavier gravity fields like in DBZ
It would be laff, but we'd probably die of internal organ failure under the higher Gs.

That's why you start at low G's and increase linearly.

>What's your squat
>lmao2G

>Alright so according to Veeky Forums bodyweight exercises are not effective when building muscle.

They are effective to a degree, but once you have mastered them, then you will plateau unless you add more weights.

>I dont undersand why, why doesnt just doing a shit ton of volume get you the same results as doing really low volume but with extreme weight? Doesnt it get you the same results? Dont you do the same effort in the end?

No. That's not how muscle fibers and the process of gaining muscle works.

Gaining muscles requires progressive overload. I.e. you have to put more strain on the muscles than they can currently handle. The body will rebuild the muscle to be able to handle that stress, then you add more stress again and repeat that endlessly. The two main ways of doing that are increased resistance (weight) and increased volume (more repetitions, shorter rest times).

There are different muscle fibers for different purposes, such as short term maximum strength output and long term endurance strength output. Preferably you would train for both maximum short term strength output and endurance strength output to maximize your muscle gains. If you only train for endurance, then you will have suboptimal gains. Especially if you end up in ridiculous rep ranges above 20, the muscle gains will be minimal.

Weights give a lot faster results

except you can start doing variations/ diamond pushups, elevated pushups and eventually one armed pushups. nobody said you can't increase difficulty

The problem with these variations of bodyweight exercises is that they are often not really the same movements and the new difficulty comes from involving different muscles rather than putting more resistance on the muscles you actually want to train in the first place.

I would bet anything most of the fat lards itt can't do ten full rom pull-ups and think they're "built fat".

Pull ups/ chin ups, push ups (sometimes), dips, crunches/situps, dragonflags,bw rows...

There are plenty of them.

Alright trips dont lie. That was more or less what I was expecting. Thanks.

So you will have godlike endurance, decent strenght but minor muscle growth?

because dicklets feel like a big guy doing 3/4 of the stack on lat pull downs and don't like the harsh taste of reality when they can't do 3 full lockout pull ups; unlike the 6'2 10% bf chads

OP check out the gymnast dudes in the Olympics. Those are the world's genetic elite, have trained hours a day for years, are manlets and are on roids. Their bodies are the result of all of that - and now imagine how bodyweight stuff will work for average natties training for a third of the weektime they do.

Not that user but you're right. You only pushup part of your weight and you activate (slightly more) muscles in a bullup than benching.

Some of your weight is held up by your legs, only handstand pushups are anything like Bench in the way that you're pushing all the weight.

I'd say a handstand pushup is much more impressive than a high bench just because it requires a strong core and legs to hold as well as the sense of balance but it's not going to be as good for hypertrophy as free weights are.

The way I look at it is, free weights are for results, bodyweight is for 'showing off' and achieving cool tricks with your body.

Hope I helped a bit.

yeah but with roids you would get jacked with barely any effort. Doesnt seem like a good analogy

That's his point brainlet if gymnasts look the way do because of roids and hundreds of gym hours why do you think a natty doing a workout for 3 hours a week is gonna be the same or even close.

If op is still around. Body weight exercises will make you stronger. Weight lifting will make you stronger faster. A mix of both is the optimum routine. Like say you want to improve your grip for climbing, doing dead hangs and deadlifts would help you get there faster than just dead hangs

Dude, the guy you are responding IS OP. I AM OP.

Yeah its gonna take a lot more time for a natty to achieve that level, but that wasnt my aim anyways. Otherwise you are right.

Obviously a mix of both is better. And logic dictates that any exercise would build strenght and achieve results. That goes for both lifts and bodyweight. I just wanted to know why is Veeky Forums so aganist bw.

Otherwise yeah I agree with you.

Natty, doing calisthenics and running. Been training for 2.5 years from skinnyfat.
6'3 185

Don't listen to these people just train hard focus on progression, and have fun with it. Calisthenics are fun as fuck, and I always impresses normies doing a backflip or a flag.

Indeed

This is what I mean. This is why I made this. Sure it takes its time, but so does training with weights, even tho its less time with weights.