Qtddtott

Qtddtott

>barbell edition

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/TlT4u
imgur.com/gallery/3u6aY
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2e79y4/dumbbell_ppl_proposed_alternative_to_dumbbell/
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

How big of a difference is a 32mm bar compared to a 29mm or a 28mm?

I'm working out at home and I can no longer add weight to my barbell (I've run out of weights) and I'm hitting 20+ reps now. What do I do continue to gain muscle? Add more reps? Take long to complete rep (instead of one rep every 4 seconds maybe one every 6 or 8) I can't afford more or new weights at the moment

Start playing around with stance and grip width. Also start slowing dowm the eccentric portion of your lifts and speeding up the concentric.

When it comes to deadlifts, big

1) does it really fucking matter what shoes I wear to the gym?
2) wat do if you live with your grandmother and she is the gainz goblin incarnate? I want to say no, but shes my grandmother :(

Does bodyfat have a big affect on how your lats look from the front/behind?

How hard is it to bulk without protein powder/creatine? Has anyone here been able to gain considerable weight without any of those?

r u stupid, just eat more?

2nd from the left looks the hottest and like the most fun, despite being the only one not wearing a costume of some sort.
>This is why you don't wear costumes to Halloween parties

What is this shitty bar, get a texas power bar

Noticeably big difference

Dude, no shit. I KNOW you need to eat more to be able to put weight.

I'm asking if it's significantly easier to bulk using protein powder/creatine and if anyone here can speak from personal experience.

nah i think id go 2nd from the right lad

The biggest benefit to protein powder is you can consume it while not having it impact your hunger level.

In other words, it helps you eat more during the day without feeling like you're stuffing yourself.

Bulking is about gaining weight, that is, more calories in than out. Protein powder has about 100kcals per scoop and 20 something g of protein, so with two scoops a day you're only getting 200kcals
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking

Is keto a meme or not?

pls be in london

How long do I rest Achilles tendonitis? Been about three weeks but I still get general pain standing on it some and using it on my right left. Should I stretch it any? Have just been doing normal daily stuff and haven't hit the gym since.Also, 6'2 and weighing 175lbs. Still got a chubby tummy and midsection. Do I continue cutting until I hit hungry skeleteon to make it go away and then bulk up fill in? (Flared ribs, chest is disproportionally bigger so washboard abs are a goner)

Keto works but are you really not going to eat carbs for the rest of your life? It's easier and more sustainable in long term to just eat a sensible healthy diet and count macros and calories.

Can I ask for some insight on my routine.
MWF:
Dumbbell press
Dumbbell shoulder press
Bent over barbell rows
Dumbbell flys
Tricep extension/push down
Curl bar

I do everything 4 sets of 10

TTH:
Squats
Deadlifts
Weighted lunges
Hamstring curls

Again everything 4 sets of 10.
It's just something I came up with that keeps it under 60 minutes at the gym and easy to remember. I think it hits all major muscle groups.

Who is the devil girl on the left? Is she also the girl in second pic on the right?

What kind of bar do I use for OHP? I've been using a sorta long bar but recently seen people using shorter lighter ones, which I feel might be better because the weights aren't as far from where I'm pushing

Buy more weights. What type of fucking question is this

Does doing a t bar row work out the same muscles as reverse flys?

If not, what would be another exercise before flys that does? There just isn't a good place to do them at my gym

Guys I just bought vanilla whey and it fucking tastes terrible holy fucking shit.

What can I do to make it better? First I drank it with milk and it wasn't good so I tried it with just water and it might be worse I'm not sure yet.

I heard peanut butter might make it better but I don't have a blender. Can I just dump peanut butter in this shit?

Please help cause this thing is bad. I can't deal with this for the next month or more

Solid answer, thanks.

Yeah, more or less.

I'm a dude.

I just post this hoe to get your attention.

:^)

is there a Veeky Forums approved dumbbell routine anywhere

Idk some dude posted them on /b/ a few months ago. She has a blog on tumblr if I remember correctly. Just reverse image search.

Then you should look at stuff like peanut butter, dairy, and in general just more food. Two scoops a day is usually the most you need and it doesn't make a huge difference calorie-wise. Creatine doesn't make a diet impact either as far as I know, it just helps you push a rep or two more. If you're really finding it hard to gain weight and have some money to spare, weight gainers are the supplements you should be looking for.

Shorter ones weigh 25 or 35 lbs. If you can't press a 45 lb bar you should use them...

Last one I have brehs, the rest are nudes.

In 2015 I was around 120lbs, 6'1 so I decided to bulk up and started hitting the gym when I had time. Right now I'm at around 150lb but I want to gain more. I've always had trouble gaining wieght, a nutritionist told me so when I was younger. I have no problem stuffing my mouth with food but I wanted to know if there's a more efficient way of doing so. I'll look into weight gainers, thanks.

I work out with just dumbbells. I'm not sure about "Veeky Forums approved", though. It's a PPL.

A-Push
>4-6x6-15 OHP
>4-6x6-15 Bench
>3-5x8-15 Skullcrusher
>3-5x8-15 Low to High Fly
>3-5x8-12 Triceps Kickback
>3-5x8-15 Lateral Raise
>3-4x8-20 Wrist Flexion
>2-3x8-20 Wrist Extension

B-Pull
>4-6x5-10 Pullup
>4-6x6-12 Row
>3-5x8-12 Hammer Curl
>3-5xF Reverse Fly
>3-5x8-12 Zottman Curl
>3-5x8-15 Facepull
>3-5x10-20 Shrug

C-Legs
>3-4x5-8 Deadlift
>3-4x5-8 Step Up
>3-4x8-12 Standing Calf Raise

D-Legs
>3-4x5-8 Split Squat
>3-4x5-8 Romanian Deadlift
>3-4x8-12 Seated Calf Raise

ABCABDx

I have a doorjamb pullup bar, powerblocks that go up in 2.5lb or 5lb increments to 90lbs, and a trunk I use as a flat bench.
>Once you can do 10 pullups, add weights in a backpack.
>Alternate OHP/Bench as first/second exercise on push day.
>My progression method is to add a set, then add reps. So if I start off with 4x6, next time I will do 5x6. I never leave reps in the tank, so if I get 5x8 or some mixture, I just roll with it. Once I can do 6x15 of something, I can usually handle the weight increase, so I move the weight up and then reduce the setsXreps back to the low part of the range.

If you don't know how to perform any of these with dumbbells, I can explain ITT or link to a YT vid.

>the rest are nudes.
do it

I can press a 45lb bar, with less weight obviously. What I wanna know is if there's any difference when pressing the same weight but with different bar length.

Yeah, not trying to get banned.

Probably easier to just try than to ask. I could pontificate about 45 lb bar being better for teaching balance and keeping your core tight... but who are we kidding, really. It's a frigging bar with weights. Use whatever works.

learn how to use a computer/the internet

Damn, that's intense. Would you care to show results?

imgur.com/a/TlT4u

Only because I got useful answers

A little too soon for me to do that. But I was trying to have something like DNAguy's PPL, and his results are incredible (though he started out on a bro-split.
imgur.com/gallery/3u6aY

Also there's a dumbbell PPL from reddit that I liked, but wanted to add a little more to it, without going all the way crazy like dnaguy's volume.
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/2e79y4/dumbbell_ppl_proposed_alternative_to_dumbbell/

>1 2 5 6 3 4

That's absolutely incredible. How long have you been doing it? Noticed any results so far?

what kind of equipment should i buy to workout at home? the cheaper the better? would it be better to go with a dumb bell set or some kettlebells or something else? i already have a pull up bar

The length of the bar doesn't matter. If you can use a standard 45 lb bar, stop being a pussy and walk an extra 10 feet to grab the plates.

A bench/barbell would be ideal. If I had the money atm I would invest in that.

Just moved to UT-Austin for post-Doc stuff. How long before Connor ruins my day?

Go on craigslist and buy weights. You can get them cheap as fuck.

This is a garbage bar. Don't get it.

Yes, being fat impacts how you look.

Yes, you can gain weight without whey or creatine.

Creatine doesn't give you a calorie surplus. Whey isn't an efficient way to get a calorie surplus either. They're neither necessary nor sufficient for bulking.

Calf raises and direct core work. Yes, you need direct core work.

Use a regular barbell.

Why would you ever buy vanilla whey? Are you literally retarded? Vanilla is the shittiest flavor of any brand, for all time. Did you not google up the thousands of "what's the best myprotein flavor?" You don't have a fucking blender? Are you a NEET or something? Do you live under an overpass in a tent?

No, because you can't load certain movements with dumbbells properly. It's far better than nothing, but not optimal.

A cage, a bar, and a bench.

You get creatine from red meat, so eats a fucktone of read meat.

Two months, and yes. I started out skinnyfat turning into fat. That's why I wanted to do a PPLPPLx: so I'm sweating 6 days a week, as I'm recomping.

I've probably lost 2 inches off my gut, and my arms and back are looking nice. I wouldn't be able to do all the volume of dnaguy's, but what I'm doing is a decent middle ground.

I'm not buying it but my school's gym has them and yes they are shit. It's all i train with unfortunately, and I'll be competing for the first time come september in the usapl. I pull 500 on these shitty hampton bars, and they don't bend at all. What can i expect from my deadlift (510lb 1rm), squat (405lb 1rm) and bench (245lb 1rm) the usapl approved bars?

Not that guy but how exactly is it different? Heavier? Or feels more solid?

Hard to say how things will change numbers-wise. Idk what the whip on those Hampton bars is like, but in general thinner bars have more whip.

So you'll see the biggest (positive) difference on the deadlift from easier grip and possible increased whip.

Maybe a bit of difference on the bench if you don't have large hands, although some guys prefer a thicker bar for benching. Whip shouldn't be a factor on a 245 lb bench.

I don't think whip will be too much of a problem on a 405 lb squat, but it will likely be a bit more noticeable than on a 32mm bar.

It's thicker, so it's more taxing on grip, and (all other factors being equal) does not bend as much, which is a disadvantage on the deadlift.

How often do people post pics of their friends/randoms instead of their own bodies in cbt?

I started doing squats every week and now my WRIST hurts. What do?

If I start chest press with let's say 40kgs, I can finish first 2 reps but can't finish 3rd , yet I have to do 5 sets. Should I lower the weight to a point I can do 5 sets or should I continue with this situation until I can do the 3rd set,4th and so on

Stop forcing it into your boyfriends anoos

Fuck I meant every workout.

There is no right and wrong way to do it.

The methods below are all viable in their own way:

#1 Use your 5RM weight and limited rest periods. Your sets might end up looking like 5 reps, 5 reps, 4 reps, 2 reps, 2 reps. You would stay at this weight until you could succesfully complete 5 reps for all sets.

#2 Use your 5RM and take long rest periods. You would probably be able to complete 5x5, but it can take half an hour easily. This is very hard training.

#3 Use a weight that's lighter than 5RM, perhaps your 8RM. You should be able to complete 5x5 even with limited rest periods without killing yourself. This is the best way to build up a good amount of volume. When you do 5x5 you can choose to either increase the weight next time, in which case you might hit like 5,5,5,4,3 (effectively making it like #1) or you can choose to increase the reps and go build up to e.g. 7 reps per set before increasing the weight and dropping back down to 5s.

Do whatever you like. What matters is that you always strive to improve your performance over time. The harder each individual set is, the less sets you can expect to be able to do and still recover. Easy sets = many sets. Hard sets = few sets. It's a matter of personal preferance.

Are these methods have same results in the end?By the way, I see that I fucked that sentence up. I have 10 reps x 5 , 5 sets of 10 reps. My strength fades when I get closer to last set. Thanks , user

After taking my supplements in the morning (Zinc, Magnesium, Vitamin B6, Vitamin D3, Omega 3 and a caffiene pill I feel a bit lightheaded and then tend to feel like I'm going to throw up, sometimes I do. Do you guys have any suggestions as to why this happens and how I could avoid this?

Critique my meal plan so far, noob on a cut. What can I add to bring in 400-500 more calories and 30 more grams of protein with little additional fat and carb intake?

Protein shake, 39% protein, 43% carbs, 18% fat
>36 g of protein powder, 36 g protein, 4 carb, 4 g fat, 180 kcal
>1 cup of 2% milk, 10 g protein, 14 carb, 5 g fat, 140 kcal
>2 tbsp of cocoa powder 2 g protein, 6 g carbs, 1 g fat, 20 kcal
>1 banana, 1.5 g protein, 31.1 g carb, 0.4 g fat, 121 kcal,
>TOTAL: 51.5 g protein, 55.1 g carbs, 10.4 g fat, 461 kcal

Chicken breast, broccoli, brown rice, 47% protein, 44% carbs, 9% fat
>10.66 oz Costco Chicken Breast, 69.34 g protein, 0 g carbs, 4 g fat, 320 kcal
>90 grams of brown rice (weighed after cooking), 8 g protein, 70 g carbs, 3 g fat, 320 kcal
>170 grams broccoli, 6 g protein, 8 g carbs, 0 g fat, 50 kcal
>TOTAL: 83.34 g protein, 78 g carbs, 7 g fat, 690 kcal

Costco Ground Beef Patties 85% lean, Costco Organic Spinach, 36% protein, 9% carbs, 55% fat
>1 Beef Patty, 30 g protein, 0 g carbs, 23 g fat, 330 kcal
>170 grams Spinach, 4 g protein, 8 g carbs, 0 g fat, 40 kcal
>TOTAL: 34 g protein, 8 g carbs, 23 g fat, 370 kcal

Total Daily Intake: 168.84 g protein (42%), 141.1 g carbs (35%), 40.4 g fat (23%), 1521 calories

Eat and drink before you take the pills dumbass. Preferably with something fatty, like milk.

If you are training for strength stop doing so many reps lol.

Generally 5reps is the standard for strength

Too much protein. Increase carb total to 45%, decrease total fat to 20% and work harder in the gym.

Excess protein is stored as fat.

Also only cut 300-400 kcal from maintenance. When you start seeing progress, weigh yourself again and recalculate your tdee and drop 300-400 kcals from that value. And so on. It's an easier road this way. Slow and steady wins this race.

Thanks for the tips, still don't know what I should add to my meals though besides more meat and protein powder (getting pricey....)

Add a lot of whole grains and fruit to your diet. Cheap solution.

Have a bowl of oats and fruit. Avoid added sugar though. I personally enjoy overnight oats, with a bit of milk, half a banana, and berries, adding chia seeds and a bit of cinnamon makes it even better.

I started lifting again after a long break, and I found the following PPL routine:
reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/37ylk5/a_linear_progression_based_ppl_program_for/ (inb4 reddit)
While I really enjoy it, I have the following questions:
1. Isn't the 6 sets of lateral raises on push day a bit excessive?
2. I really like shrugs and there seems to be a lack of trap exercises. Should I add shrugs to pull days?
3. On leg day, there is a choice between leg presses and front squats. Which one should I choose, knowing that my back is limiting me on my regular squats? Should I do front squats to strengthen my core, or should I do leg presses and add back extensions?

Noted, thanks!

Why are people doing calisthenics always so fucking lean?

>6 sets of lateral raises
yes, that's dumb as hell. you can probably stick to 3-4. it's accessory shit though, so who gives a fuck about it
>should I shrug
go right ahead.
>back is limiting me
is your back actually caving, or are you falling forward in the squat? if it's actually your back, you need to work on your back. if you're finding that you lean forward and turn into the squat-morning, you may actually have weak quads and benefit from doing leg press.

or you could blow off both of those options, drop the weight on your back squats and do deep pause squats working on strict form. Money down says you'd still have more weight on the bar than your front squat and it would provide more time working on your back squat technique in general

You don't see anybody being succesful at calisthenics without being lean, simply because if you carry too much fat it's very, very hard to accomplish the more difficult exercise progressions.
It's not that calisthenics get you lean, it's more that you cannot do calisthenics if you're not lean.

>is your back actually caving, or are you falling forward in the squat?
I have two issues:
I lean forward during squats (I'm around 186 cm, if it matters)
Sometimes (especially on heavier weights) I get "stuck" at the bottom and involuntarily do a quick little sideways motion with my hip/lower back and that helps me lift the weight. I believe it's caused by my back because I don't really feel too much strain on my legs when it happens.

Can I drink coffee while taking creatine in the morning or should i avoid caffeine all together

at least 3mm

When I do curls, I feel a click in the middle of my left biceps. What is it? Should I go to a doctor?

Does being older literally mean being injured constantly?

I do push pull legs and I normally do ohp on my push days. I do PPLPPLx. Can I do ohp on my second legs day, the one before the rest, because I like it and it's fun. Will this make me weaker and impair my recovery?

btw my ohp on my legs day would be 3x5 , and not completey going really hard, just kinda rpe 8

That has been my experience. At least if you continue to train like you did when you were younger and dumber.
You need more clever exercise selection, better warm-up, and way more focus on recovery.

Currently doing SL been doing it on and off for a year (had to take breaks).
Wondering when to switch to madcow.
Lifts are in pic
I'd think squats being my best lift would be the first to change over but that's the one of the only lifts I'm making still good progress on.
Bench and OHP in particular progress is almost non existent but they are barely intermediate.

bw 73kg
please advise

If you're barely making progress something's got to change, regardless of how high or low your lifts may be. Of course, if your diet is shit and/or you're getting drunk out of your mind every weekend, the problem probably isn't with the program. But if you take your training reasonably serious, you need to move on from SL if it's no longer working well.

Anything wrong with wearing squat shoes to deadlift? I have poor ankle mobility from a surgery as a baby and the raised heel lets me gets into a better position.

Is creatine primarily a PWO or a supplement? One of my irl friends was telling me last night that it's a supplement but my hardcore Veeky Forums friend tells me it's a PWO, and that is also the gist I get from coming here.

SL is supposed to be done as 5x5, then 3x5 then 3x3

once you've stalled on a weight on 3x3 and you've deloaded and built up and just can't get past that plateau you should move on to Madcow

there isn't a set weight; it's just when you hit a brick wall on 3x3

>the raised heel lets me gets into a better position
I doubt that. Ideally you will want to start the movement with relatively vertical shins, which don't require much of your ankles. If your knees go much forward, your setup is bad.

Creatine has no immediate ergogenic effect. Taking it as a preworkout makes no sense, even though it's often contained in a lot of bullshit PWO products.
Creatine is a supplement and it doesn't matter much when you take it, although one study that I'm aware of has shown slightly better uptake post workout. But I'm not sure if it makes any real difference.

When people talk about weights like 2pl8 bench etc, do they mean 2 plates on each side of the barbell or 2 plates in total?

Oh, for some reason I had it in my head that vertical shins were bad. Maybe I should go back and read about proper form again, thanks user.

Interesting. Thanks for elaborating a bit. I reckon I was wrong then.

Speaking of PWO, could you tell me the opportune timeframe to take PWO? Like within X amount of time before workout, that kind of thing.

They mean two 20 kg or 45 lbs plates on each side of an Olympic barbell. So 100 kg or 225 lbs.

Well there are different ways to deadlift. A weightlifter almost squats the weight up and this lift does require dorsiflexion. Even if you're not a weightlifter, some people prefer to use more leg drive while others prefer to make it as much of a hip hinge as possible. So there's no clear cut answer. But as a rule few people will be limited by ankle mobility in a deadlift.

Sorry I'm not exactly up to date on the PWO side of things. Basically because anything that isn't a powerful designer drug stimulants isn't worth the money, in my experience. And anything that is gets you psychologically dependant on the stuff, which I don't like.
So yeah, fuck PWO. If I really need something to get me going I'll use caffeine.
Make sure to stay hydrated too. If you piss is brown you can expect 10% reduced performance, but there's not a lot of focus on this, because supplement companies can't sell you water.

Peanutbutter, bananas, oats, unsweetened cocoa, there's so many things you can put in there.

Well I only ask because I inherited a full thing of both creatine and some 'anarchy' PWO stuff from when my roommate moved out--both unopened canisters. I've used a tiny bit of the creatine so far but nothing major. It's free stuff so I may as well use it, y'know?
Caffeine does absolutely nothing for me and I'm honestly glad because I sure as hell don't want to get addicted to that drug.

My hips are naturally wide and it looks like I have a fat ass, even though I'm not fat at all. What do

1 - Fuck, yeah man. Ik it sucks to buy a new shoe just for the gym, but believe me. Squatting in Powerlifting shoes is fucking amazing.

2 - Look man, ik it's hard but you've got to believe that there are people who want to see you get big. I know i want to. Would you like to disappoint a person that want to see your gains? I know you don't. Keep lifting brotha.

Well go ahead and use the creatine. Just throw 5g in a protein shake any time during the day.
Can't tell you anything about the PWO.

Word. I'll do that from now on. Appreciate the feedback, broski.

1 - Fuck, yeah man. Ik it sucks to buy a new shoe just for the gym, but believe me. Squatting in Powerlifting shoes is fucking amazing.

2 - Look man, ik it's hard but you've got to believe that there are people who want to see you get big. I know i want to. Would you like to disappoint a person that want to see your gains? I know you don't. Keep lifting brotha.

Anyone ever felt a pain i the low middle of your palm while benching? What is it? What can i do to fix it? I already went to a doctor. The bitch said that i needed to push too much weight. Needles to say i wont hear that advice.

Pic related. Exactly where it hurts.

Best solution for accelerating DOMS?
2-4 days after, the muscle group is basically useless, can't even fkn play with my dog bro