/run/ general

Sore Shins Edition

Training Plans: halhigdon.com/training/
Strava: strava.com/features

I saw a Strava group for /run/ a few weeks ago but can't seem to find it now. I know someone out there probably has the link.

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B01DZXFB1Q/
strava.com/clubs/fitizens
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Anyone have good workouts that maximize calorie burn?

>How far have you run this week?
12 miles but I have my long run tomorrow. Did 10 miles last weekend and I'm going to shoot for the same and, depending on how I'm feeling, I might go for 11. Also going to bring a snack with me this time around because I felt like I was going to die after my run last weekend.
>What are you working on?
Training for a couple of half marathons on a Higdon plan. Novice bois
>How was your last run?
A lot better than the same run I did on Monday. 4 miles @ about 9:20/mi for an easy run. Tuesday was a sort of accidental tempo but I did my 4 miles @ 7:58/mi. Felt pretty good.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Picked up some Injinji socks that I really like. Takes a minute to get used to wearing them though. Also considering buying a Camelbak pack for water/snack storage on long runs.

Running is pretty weird in that regardless of how fast or slow you're going, you're basically going to end up burning the same amount of calories per mile, which is usually around 100cal/mi. That said, there's no accounting for the way that your body works and everyone is different. For burning calories, I'd recommend a long, slow run or a longer, slow bicycle ride.

What are the best earphones for running under £50 ($65)?

amazon.com/dp/B01DZXFB1Q/

These are probably going to be the best bang for your buck, as far as wireless buds go. I have a pair of Jaybird X2s that I use for most of my runs and they're definitely more expensive but I feel that they're worth it.

Ok thanks for advice. I'm rather fat and I find that running is the best way to burn it (lost 2kg in 3 weeks). Just wondering, speed really doesn't make a difference? Except of course covering ground more quickly.

Like everyone says, your diet is going to be the most important but running will help as well.
As far as I'm aware, speed isn't really going to make a difference. You might burn slightly more calories because you're running faster, but you're not going to be able to run as long because you'll ultimately burn yourself out. The quickest way to get faster is to run slower. Doing slow, long runs will help you maintain a caloric deficit and will help you build your base in the long run. If you haven't already, you should check out C25K.

i started running for the first time 4 weeks ago, so far, i am only up to 4 miles per go, three times a week.
pretty slow too, takes me over 30 minutes each time.
i'm gonna quit smoking next week, i hope to improve drastically from that alone.

If you get sore shins your running WRONG.

I had shin splints, learned proper technique now don't have them.

Thanks, I did program similar to that, trained 4 months and can easily run for 45 mins now (around 8 km).

Pain in right hip after runs. (3 miles/30 mins). What am I doing wrong?

>pic unrelated, but good meal

>eating while running

Just sounds so wrong. Granted 9 miles is the most I've ever ran but I'd probably throw up

Nonsense. Just because it worked for you doesn't mean it's the rule for everyone. There are many causes.

There are tons of different causes for sore shins, man. Yeah, bad form will give you shin splints but so will a lot of other stuff. Running a lot of hills makes my shins sore for an hour or so after I get done but I've never had shin splints.

I agree. Many times, padded shoes encourage plodding which lead to shin splints.

>posts strava
>doesn't even bother with a simple ctrl+f on the previous thread.
Here newfriend
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

The place just below and a little to the left of my knee in the side hurts with every step I walk, jog or run. What do I do? I cant afford to lose my progress. Side note the same happens for ny right right.

Hello fellow sipboy

4miles
Sprint Triathlon
>How was your last run?
Vile. On vacation and running in 95degree weather.
Ask me in 6 weeks after the Tri

>tfw got really sick and had to cut my last run short because I couldnt handle doing it with the sickness

Its been ages since I had to cut a run short, feels bad.

The only running I'm doing lately is the travel to the gym which is a little over 1km, if I do that 4-5 times a week, can I still improve 5k time? Occasionally do some light jogging but nothing serious, I'm pushing the 1km's tho, trying to do it in 3min. Best 5k time now is a little under 18min.

>Sprint Triathlon
Should there be comma there or is this something I'm not aware of?

ITB Syndrome
Run til my knee hurts too much to continue.Experience good progress in terms of speed and length. Should I continue this?

>previous thread
>I made the previous thread
>no post about the strava club

ok

I'm not really planning on eating literally while I'm running. For my run, I'll probably stop at 5-5.5 for a few minutes, refill water if I can, eat a granola bar, and then finish out.
I just got so fucked up from low blood sugar after my last 10 mile run. I was shaking pretty bad and just felt like I was going pass out. Had no interest in doing anything for the rest of the day. I eventually came to my senses after a granola bar, banana, gatorade, and some pizza. Ended up visiting my parents and family and had some tequila and beer lol

Literally took me 2 seconds. See I'm sure it's hard to actually try

Oh shit lol, I didn't even notice that.
Well, now I know.

stopped being a little bitch today and tried to run a mile w/o stopping at all

surprised at how easy it was, didn't sprint like a tard and just went at a comfortable pace and paid attention to my stride

pulled a 9:50, aiming for 7
>inb4 that's a shit time u pleb
pls no bully

barefoot trail running in high humidity naked. be mindful of ticks though.

How do i get motivated to run
When i comes to lifting i always know i what i have to to today.
When i comes to running i don't care.
How to change.

my right knee has been hurting since i started running, why is this and can i fix it

Anyone else not move their arms when they run? Ever since starting this running has gotten so easy.

Just set a PB last night. Ran a solid 18km. May be not that good for here, but it's great for me.

On another note, any anons care to share some running tips that they've discovered on their own? I've found that if I match my breathing to when my right (or left, doesn't really matter) foot hits the ground, I get tired less quickly.

anyone run and also lift heavy? i want to start running because i liked to be able to. not really interested in sprinting just long slow distance.
would one a week be enough or twice?
if you lift heavy what do you do to maintain strength or still get stronger?

my week has sucked, only about 7 miles.
going for a half marathon this year
>How was your last run?
last run was 3.5, last weekend was a 12.2mile run, going to try for a half marathon on sunday... hope i feel better. been super lazy today.
garmin 735xt has been useful, got it set to beep at me when my heart rate falls below zone and beep at me when i go above or below a certain pace. actually helps.

>tfw no gainz this morning
maybe i should have done 2*2.5km with a break.

Shoes.
You need better shoes m8. Either more cushion, less tight, or something.

I had that feel too, but I was doing like 70mi/wk when I got those pains.

Think Half-Triathlon. It's a 700m swim, 20km cycle and a 5km run, but the distances for the one I'm doing are a bit retarded.. 400m swim, 24.2km cycle, and a 6.3km run, actually suits me because my swim is weak as fuck.

22 Miles / 36 Km
Should be 37 miles / 60 km at the ends of the day since it's big run day .

not moving your arms at all definitely makes you slower, but not moving them that much is fine for long runs.

knee cap? tendon below the knee? back of the knee?
does icing help? stretching?
could be a host of things

This week: 13.5mi
Working on: Going farther
Last Run: 6.5mi
New Gear: Condor Sentry Vest with plates for short runs.

6'1", 250lb here.

how fast is your 40 yard

How do you handle running in the winter?
I started running this summer and are worrying about how to go at it during winter. Problem is my throat starts to hurt much during physical activity when it's cold outside, how do you handle it?
Talking about real winter here with at least sub zero degree Celsius here, average temperature in my city during mid winter is around -8 degree Celsius.

If you can't stand the cold, go to a gym and run on a treadmill. It's boring as hell, but hey, all running is.

Keep up the good work user

I failed breh
Blue part was walking and the dot a 5 min pause.
My mouth was so sticky I think I was close to 3 kg lighter back home .
Next time i'll put strategic water bottle in the wood to hydrate myself .

Yeah, I guess that's one choice. It costs a bit though, feels a bit unnecessary to pay for a gym membership to only use the treadmills.

Anyone have some idea on how to avoid getting a side stitch when running? I'm on week 4 on this program and usually get a side stich at the second 3 minute run, so I have to stop and wait for it to pass or try endure it, neither is such good. I usually wait until 3-4 hours after I've eaten to run, but it obviously doesn't help so much.

jogging is gay real men sprint, faggots

APFT (2 mile speed) and long distance endurance
>How was your last run?
Horrible, I ran in the late evening vs. my usual early morning, was exhausted, pace was terrible and I ended it with half assed hill sprints
no

>not lifting as well

Would this routine be acceptable?
>1 long run a week (5 km)
>HIIT Stationary Bike (15 min - 30/90s) before strength training gym routine 3x a week.

I honestly fucking h8 running but I need to get faster.

Also, would calf raises make me faster?

I'm shallow and crave approval, does getting good at running get me any of that

What running app do you guys use? Nike running club seems to be super fucked up for me, it cant sync with my music and playing music before turning it on crashes it, it also randomly crashed at 1.5km

is running on a treadmill really significantly less beneficial?

I hate running on grass/pavement and outdoors in general, but love running on treadmills for some reason

I think i have a niggling injury in my foot. I have feel it on the bottom of the outside of my right foot and it sort of wraps around the outside ankle. It kicks in whenever I run for more than 10 minutes. Anyone have something similar?

>switch to strength training, add 20kg, don't run for 10 months
>try running again today
>managed to run 5k albeit slow

wew lad, i thought i wouldn't be able to move

aye lad, whats your 2mile time

try buff, or some other type of multi-purpose bandanna

I've always used 0.75*body weight for calories burned per mile. Seems to agree with most calorie counters.

No one ever mentions this but do circuit training at the end of your lifts. So let's say you do something like 3x5 squats and bench press. Right after do a circuit with 2 or 3 movements. 4 to 6 sets with 8-15 reps. Keep it together though.

Example:
3x5 Low bar Squats
3x5 Bench press

Circuit (aka superset)

T-bar row- 4x10
Bicep curls- 4x10
DB skullcrushers- 4x10

Wrong thread lol but it would circuits would work for fat loss.

Keep it up
Run / walk is your friend

70.6 miles so far, still have a 15.4 Long run to go tomorrow.
College XC and Track runner
>How was your last run?
Pretty chill, it was just an easy recovery run of about 7.4 miles this morning. Was pretty dead after my tempo workout yesterday.
Some new running hats I guess.

How do I slow myself down enough to not injure myself?

Why I ask: Summer is cycling time for me, so I cut running way back.
Cardio fitness / aerobic ability / endurance etc. is there of course, because, yay, cycling, but in the last years I've had some problems with my Achilles tendon or knees not wanting to keep up with my running.

I'd love to run my first marathon this December (off-road, northern hemisphere). How do I not fuck this up?

Background etc.:
About 6000km of cycling this year so farj (all on road bike, no MTB), reduced run volume around April after my first half-marathon (1:31h).
Currently cycling about 200km / week, 1-2h running, varied, but mostly low, intensity.

Set an incline. Doesn't have to be much.

>do my 10 mile run
>get done
>feel fine for an hour on the drive back to my apartment
>walk in the door
>immediate ocular migraine and actual migraine
>slam down food and a ton of water
>headache still wants to stay

I thought long runs were supposed to make you feel good afterwards :(

So, my shins are sore to the point where it hurts when I step. Will I injure myself if I got running today or will it be fine?

Nigga don't risk it. Do some stretches if you're not sure and see how you feel. I personally wouldn't risk putting myself out for 3 month

How many days should I wait? Will I probably be fine on monday? Also, what can I do to keep this from happening again? Better shoes?

NIgga how have you done 462 runs in 215 days?

Hey runbrehs, powerlifter here... I'm trying to cut a weight class into the 198lb category. Right now I am 230lbs at 18% bf. Normally, I'd just cut with my diet but holy fuck eating that few calories is miserable. So I am thinking running would be a great way to be able to significantly raise my daily TDEE to a level where I could eat an enjoyable volume of food. How do I go about increasing my endurance, in a non meme plan, that has realistic progression?

He does a lot of different runs during the day. Not just one/day.

Better shoes. Hard to say how long. A guy from work waited a whole week and just focused on stretches and felt fine afterwards. Everybody is different tho. But definitely invest in some new shoes, don't scrimp on your health/safety nigga

He's also an absolute madman

So no recovery/rest days at all? I've done 15 miles this week across 4 runs and my legs are stiff as fuck, how many years do I need to train to teach that level of fitness?

Okay, thanks user. How are the under armor running shoes? They have some kind of gemini 2.1 shoes that they say have good arch support and I find the most shoes don't have good enough arch support for me.

You'd have to ask him lol. It looks like he's had some "slower" months with a bit less activity but I'm not sure if he's running every day. Looks like he just does recovery runs instead of rest days, at least for the last few weeks.
Breddy sure you can get to running every day over the course of a year or so.

Th-thanks lad

Ye, I do run every day. Basically, our coach's training philosophy is to do most of our mileage easy (6:40-7:00 pace), and then go hard on our two "workout days". A typical week (in Monday-Sunday order) is usually:
-Easy double
-Hard workout, then an easy recovery run
-Medium Long Run
-Easy double
-Hard Workout, then an easy recovery run
-Very short and easy single
-Long Run (usually closer to 6:00-6:20 pace)

>"Easy run" 6:40-7:00
>tfw when your fastest mile is 7:22

What running app do you guys use?! something with voice feedback

Runtopia has voice feedback and is free. That's what I use.

Today's 18 miler.

RunKeeper since you can set up voice prompts like below:

>10 min warm-up
>1 mile fast at 7:20
>3 minute rest
>1/2 mile at 7:00
>3 minute rest
>1/2 mile at 7:00
>3 minute rest
>1 mile at 7:20
>10 minute cool down

So I've been seeing recently that most runs should be done at easy/slow pace. I've also heard a few times that I should't start Intervals/Fartlek/Tempo runs until I have built up the aerobic base to handle it.

So do easy runs actually make you faster? Even with no speed/hard sessions, will my average pace on easy runs increase as the weeks go on?

Don't sweat it lad, I've been running for a little over 8 years at this point, but it doesn't take that long by far to get to a comparable fitness level, just smart training. We're all gonna make it!

Yes, the longer you run, the fitter you'll be aerobically and thus you'll be able to handle faster paces easier and for longer periods of time. Getting a good mileage base is VERY important to getting fast. Then you get to start the fun stuff like tempos, fartleks, and intervals.

What do you all use to hold your phone and keys while you run for they don't bounce around? Been looking at the flipbelt, has anyone used one of those?

Thanks bro. I've averaged about 15-17 MPW during July. I'm aiming to run 25 miles a week comfortably by the end of August before starting the fun stuff.

One thing i'm unsure with though is the pacing on easy runs. I get that I should let my body naturally dictate my pace. Should I consciously try run faster, (even say 10 seconds per mile faster per week) or should I just keep it flowing naturally and the pace will increase without noticing?

Phone, arm strap. I hold my keys in my hand because the noise drives me crazy. Recently, I take only the one key I need and put it in the zip pocket on the ass of my shorts. Never notice it.

For the easy runs, just go off of feel, but make sure you aren't going TOO easy if you understand me. It should feel comfortable, but not too much so.

Does anyone have any recommendations for running shoes with good arch support?

What's a simple, long term sustainable running program for someone after C25K? I'm in the gym 6 days a week and looking for a plan to help me get to, like, a sub 35 minute 5 mile and be in great shape for basketball games and shit like that.

I've got pain in the front of my leg while running, almost like the muscle there is cramping. It's getting to the point where I have to stop and walk it off, and after about 15 minutes of walking I can go again, until it starts and I have to repeat. Are these shin splints? Sorry I'm new to this. How do I fix? Thanks

The fitter you are the faster you are

This

shin splints are an overuse injury you fucking retard. It has literally nothing to do with technique/form