UNABOMBER

What does Veeky Forums think of the Unabomber and his beliefs about industrial-technological society?

Also, what did he mean exactly by "Oversocialization"? (see below)

>25. The moral code of our society is so demanding that no one can think, feel and act in a completely moral way. For example, we are not supposed to hate anyone, yet almost everyone hates somebody at some time or other, whether he admits it to himself or not. Some people are so highly socialized that the attempt to think, feel and act morally imposes a severe burden on them. In order to avoid feelings of guilt, they continually have to deceive themselves about their own motives and find moral explanations for feelings and actions that in reality have a non-moral origin. We use the term “oversocialized” to describe such people. [2]

washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/national/longterm/unabomber/manifesto.text.htm

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vu0zax6EyeY
youtu.be/NgGLFozNM2o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>oversocialization
Being endlessly barraged with the concerns and emotions of others either changes your thoughts or forces you to keep divergent ones quiet
And this was pre Facebook and pre zuckerbergs presidential victory
Kaczynskis being proven more right every day

>pre zuckerbergs presidential victory
You know something?

he was right about almost everything. His chapter on communism is great to explain why communists can't be trusted even if they appear harmless at first

>be schizophrenic mass murdering genius
>Be right about everything
How does he do it?

He's definitely right. The only thing that can (temporarily) stop the progress of technology is a collapse of a civilization though, so it's wishful thinking.

I don't think he is schizophrenic, that's just something a few evaluators came up with while others didn't. He's sane, even if a weirdo.

He became too redpilled

he was probably the most right man in human history

literally did nothing wrong

The term is hypersane. He was incapable of social self deception. The bombings were his tortured pysches last attempt at preventing ego disintergration

Well there was the whole bombing thing. It was delusion. What could that possibly accomplish?

I think all people with any inkling of rationality from across all walks of life and creeds can come together just once and agree, Ted Kaczynski was right.

thanks to his bombings his works reached national attention and during the trial his ideas were very discussed. He is in some academic circles seen as the Marx of neo-luddite thought. He has inspired men such as John Zerzan to founf organizations aimed to establish his goals.

Yes people died and he could hhave avoided that but it's a small price to pay

It was also a matter of his ego. When penthouse offered to publish it he said he was gonna plant another bomb

Ted wasn't right persay, you can't hold back technology or progress and guess what anarchy fucking sucks. But he was touching on a lot of shit people had been willfully ignoring and in some cases still do.

The loss of "meaning" in life as pleasure has become it's own meaning, the false goal of leisure

The necessity of constant over empathy in order to function peacefully in society due to all the social groups crammed together, it plays havoc on our sense of tribe.

The fact you cannot make massive rapid changes in technology and communication and not expect similar upheaval in society

These are all things which are serious issues to consider but get no play because of the implications. That doesn't mean he was right abiut everything. For one, anarchy sucks and civilization is not unnatural. Also thinking "natural = good" is Romanticism

Was he an anarchist?

Who's the second last guy?

>William Pierce
>Not Pope Pius IX

He believed in a sort of naturalist anarchy, that the best cure for humanity was to disrupt and destroy society and return to nature. If you were /v/ I'd tell you he was basically Tracer Tong

>Tracer Tong

Worst ending!

does everyone forget that super traumatizing physiological experiment he was apart of that scarred him for the rest of his life?

He was a total nutjob and his luddite, primitivist "insights" are not new nor ground-breaking. He is just regurgitating old Luddite talking points that have been repeated since the industrial revolution.

Social alienation, oversocialization, extreme individualism, typical criticisms of leftist white guilt, etc, etc... numerous authors since the 19th century have talked about these things.

I hate this retarded meme that just because you are good in a hard science this means you are a genius in all fields and your opinions should be taken as gospel.

A Math degree doesn't automatically make you qualified to discuss other complex topics like history, economics, sociology or philosophy.

>The necessity of constant over empathy in order to function peacefully in society due to all the social groups crammed together, it plays havoc on our sense of tribe.

>he has not yet overcome his sense of tribe

Pathetic.

>persay
You're from r*ddit

He was right, and deep down we all know it.

>I’m a mutt cuck and proud
pathetic

Refute him then

you have no tribe

I thought Veeky Forums would mindlessly hate on this guy, but I'm glad to see many did not. If any anons havent read Industrial Society and its Future, they definitely should and make their own conclusions about Kaczynski

I don't really agree with his methods, as I dont think killing random professors and businessmen is the right way to bring the attention to his ideals, but he has some uncanny insight into the state of the world. Though we can all say it's nice not to die as an infant from disease, or have lots of food and comfort as a result of our industrial society, there are lots of unforseen spiritual consequences to such a life. No wonder so many people are killing themselves even though they are living in better conditions than almost any human being ever.

Because most people only find meaning in struggle. Without any real struggle or conflict all you can do is prick about and hope that the artificial "struggles" presented by modern western life are enough to distract you from the crushing pointlessness of a godless existence

no body tells modern Western man he can't have God, he chooses that himself. Things such as ties to ethnic, regional and local community is another thing entirely as capitalism and liberalism really do seek to turn all natural diversity into an ugly homogeneous brown mass of low iq mutt consumers.

>leftist white guilt
didn't even exist, if it did only as a a limited form regulated to marginal figures, until the 60s.
>everything else
even if people did discuss Social alienation, oversocialization, extreme individualism, in the 19th century who is actually reading those guys? Someone modern like Ted puts those ideas in a package which is easier to both access and digest to the average man then some obscure 19th century reactionary authors. Maybe after using Ted as a gateway drug you can look into the 19th century guys.

There is no god, user. You're one of about 7 billion sentient apes on a tiny blue ball suspended in a functionally endless void. You will be gone within 100 years. 100 years after that there will be no trace that you ever existed outside of a few entries in bureaucratic ledger nobody will ever read. Nothing you do matters or will leave any lasting impression on human history, never mind the history of the universe.

It's no surprise that people's minds break.

Many people realize that deity exist so the projection of your disability unto the rest of the West isn't appropriate to gauge why modern man has turned away from God. lets keep the discussion on society at large, not fedora talking points.

We should have listened

>What could that possibly accomplish?
A spot in the washington post and NY times where the entire world could read his philosophy

and the outbreak of hives that he experienced as a one year old that completely changed his personality according to his mother

>thinks it's healthy to ignore inherent tribal tendencies

second point good point

I can assure you people like Spengler, Heidegger, Mills or Simmel are more widely read and more articulate than the fucking Unabomber and they didn't need to kill people to become widely read authors, edgelord.

>Spengler, Heidegger
They weren't the same as Ted, philosophically speaking.
> Mills or Simmel
I can't speak for them, but are you sure they are coming at from a "radical environmentalist, primitiveist and luddite" perspective?

oh rly, they're really read by the average person huh?

The cure for technology is MORE TECHNOLOGY, the only way to fix the world right now is to create a strong ai that will rule the world forever.

you never read the manifesto I see

>muh jesus
If you're able to delude yourself into believing the religion of your choice as a shield against the utter pointlessness of existence then more power to you, user.

Does he ever touch on the potential problem of being technologically vulnerable compared to other tribes? If the US was to embrace his luddite state of nature isn't it logical to assume that countries like China and India would eventually be able to destroy/subjugate it? His most frequent targets were computer science professors, wouldn't being left behind in something like A.I. research or quantum computing put his Tribe at an enormous disadvantage?

Dude global revolution LMAO.

>Does he ever touch on the potential problem of being technologically vulnerable compared to other tribes?
yes he does. read the manifesto you speculative smegma harvester

>immediately presumes i'm Christian
Are you capable of any discussion of religion which isn't a strawman?

The point doesn't change if you replace Jesus with your deity of choice. I'm sorry you lack the cognitive ability to see that, Achmed.

>The point doesn't change if you replace Jesus with your deity of choice
It kinda does. Most people have experience with meaning and deity, fedoras are the special snowflakes who it deny it all based on feels.

i was wondering if this cat was trying to poop then i noticed the baby cat hidden and screamed

>luddites

Not even once. Seriously though, he's a shortsighted angry manchild.

So far, no one pointing out where exactly he's wrong.

Technology is good.

The fact that Luddites have existed for millenia and society hasn't collapsed.

That's an opinion

Just like Kaczynski's ideas. And the burden of proof is on him and his ilk.

So... you point out exactly where he's right please.

The link to his argumentation is in the op

how about try reading his manifesto

His "manifesto" is a bunch of inane ramblings with no source, proof of any of his claims or citations. Might as well read the Bible and wait for Judgement Day.

Stop mistaking insanity for genius.

>writing a 35,000-word essay without using a single citation or source

What the fuck am I supposed to do with that? This is a board for history, not unhinged blog posts.

have you read it though?

He has some decent points, but so what?

The hugely, insanely, hilariously ironic thing about Kaczynski? He bombed people in order to bring attention to his manifesto. Would he have needed to do that in this day and age where anybody with an internet connection can make a huge impact on the world? Not to mention the ease with which one can self-publish.

Kaczynski was wrong, he proved it himself.

William Luther Pierce, author of the Turner Diaries (/pol/‘s wet dream).

>The fact that Luddites have existed for millenia and society hasn't collapsed.

what even, what the fuck

luddites don't exist today except for the neo-luddite larpers

didnt answer the question

>amish
>LARPers
Seems like the real deal to me. If you agree with this form of weaponized autism in the OP go live with the amish. Nobody is stopping you.

Fuck no I haven't read it. You can't expect me to take something like that seriously. If he wanted it to be taken seriously he should have used some sources and citations.

>when a fucking math nerd wants to LARP as a historian and can't even begin to write a thesis

Checks out. Ted should have stuck to math.

What's his solution, then? I don't see how a luddite nation could ever defend itself against a technologically mobilized one.

Faggot

Just reading that small selection in the OP is fucking awful.

>For example, we are not supposed to hate anyone
Seriously? Did a fucking 14-year-old write this?
>Some people are so highly socialized that the attempt to think, feel and act morally imposes a severe burden on them
Pretty bold statement. Any proof whatsoever? Of course not.
>In order to avoid feelings of guilt, they continually have to deceive themselves about their own motives
Lol, welcome to human emotion Ted, you fucking psycho.

I already have a pretty low opinion of psychology and its implications Ted, you're gonna need to work a little harder than that.

>what do you think about this certified psycho's rambling thoughts involving technology, human psychology and philosophy

I don't think much about them.

>william pierce
trashed

>implying hes wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=vu0zax6EyeY

William Luther Pierce, author of Hunter, the Turner Diaries and multiple speeches. if you find yourself reading his works or listening to his speeches, proceed with extreme caution, a Red Pill overdose can be fatal.

>Fuck no I haven't read it.

Lol, you're a fucking retard, you know that?

jesus, read the manifesto, it's fucking 56 pages you illiterate

Ted hated psychology you t. ignoramus

>read this sociological dissertation by a guy who couldn't socialize! it's good, i promise!

>throw off the yoke of technology! go live in nature and mail bombs to people!

I'll admit, it makes sense if you've lived as a friendless, kissless virgin studying math your entire life.

the fact that you're debating against a book you haven't even read is laughable, and is why you are a fucking retard.

>hastes psychology
>writes a sociological dissertation

I don't need to read Mein Kampf to know Hitler is a piece of shit.
I don't need to read the Bible or Koran to know Christians and Muslims are full of shit.

Some stuff is just obvious. The guy who literally can't socialize writing a dissertation on sociology is one of them.

most specious comment in this thread

ok

withzisbaityouaretrulyspoilingus.jpg

>I don't need to read

You’ve exposed yourself, the b8 was good until this post

Ted Kaczynski is just another autist who can't handle change and therefore was threatened by the new developments brought fourth by new technology.

It's pretty common in aging people. Ted just happened to be smart enough and crazy enough to chimp out about it in a lethal manner.

>fourth
>t. hasn't read the manifesto

You're limiting yourself by closing yourself off to interesting ideas and valid perspectives.
Go ahead and dismiss them, and call people names. But you'll never actually understand why they believe what they do. This is only a guess, but you'll probably say you do, in fact, understand why they believe what they do - "because they're stupid/misguided/mistaken." But we both know it isn't that simple. People have reasons for believing what they do, some of which are good and some of which are unfounded. The vast majority of people are not critical of things that confirm their biases, so its prudent to forgive them of that failing. "How can they believe something that I believe is wrong!" Well, there you go - most people aren't super critical of information. Some people are so uncritical that they don't even need to engage with it to know what's inside.
I wasn't going to read his manifesto, but you've inspired me to broaden my understanding of the sort of people I'm forced to share this planet with. So I think I'll examine it and try to understand why it resonates with some people.
Thanks.

>t. desperate shill

Parroting yourself like to this to everyone whose post you dislike is barely a step above shitposting.

well have you read the manifesto?

You got one part of that wrong. He didn't bomb people for over 20 years to get his manifesto published , he did it because the government started constructing some roads around the secluded area in which he lived In peace. This drove him insane proving that these motherfuckers won't even let you cope. THEY WON'T LET YOU. THEY WILL TRACK YOU DOWN AND THEY WILL PUT YOU DOWN. THE STATUS QUO DOESN'T FORGIVE. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO TRACK AND KILL BIN LADEN? HE WAS JUST WATCHING ANIME IN A 4X4 ROOM. YOU MOTHERFUCKERS.

>William Pierce
>redpilled

Read/digested the manifesto in a few hours. Seems like he has some pretty valid complaints, but one could argue it’s not all because of technology. I also like the fact that the “revolution” is not ideally violent or upheaving, just a change in mindset (which I also think is necessary). I’d say I agree with at least 85% of the whole thing, and it was well worth the read.

He would of probably been an anime poster on Veeky Forums had he been born in our time.

>You can't expect me to read a source because it has no sources
>no not those sources because those have no surces
>and so on and so forth.

Delusion pretending to be reason.

This little experiment gives a little context to what oversocializing is.

youtu.be/NgGLFozNM2o

"Oversocialization" is an amalgam of comfort to the point of dependence and the lost of "meaning" when everything is provided.
Which ends up creating individuals so far away from their biological instincts that they degenerate into "the beautiful ones"

Why didn't he moved to alaska?
The fucker was crazy, he didn't bomb people to publish his writings, he was just mad that he doesn't belong in society and lashed out.
I don't belong here either, and it's fucking infuriating that i have to kill myself why u fuckers enjoy life.