JESUS FUCK MY KNEES

6"2, 196lb beginner here.
Started as a new years resolutioner on SL5X5 and made okayish gains so far
However I failed on the last set of a 2plate squat a month ago and my right knee has been crippled ever since.
My joints are already weak due to EDS, but does anyone have any advice on recovery/ squat alternatives?

Have the same problem. Tendonitis usually heals after a month but it's been a month and nothing has changed.
Try this thing that scooby posted. Title is something joint pain.

>my joints are already weak due to a medical condition
>does barbell squats

good lord man what the fuck were you thinking, did you really get memed into thinking you should do squats even with weak joints by some LARPers on a cambodian paper mache forum?

I've got "runners knee" on one knee recently from doing squats (half way through Stronglifts). I always go ATG with good form, so I don't think my form is the cause.

I just pray it goes soon

ever get the feeling that lifting heavy weights by following instructions from books/youtube videos/etc and with no other form of coaching is actually stupid and massively dangerous, and that many of us are sooner or later going to get badly hurt because of that, and we're blind to that because of how badly we want to look good?

squatting and deadlifting makes me so fucking nervous but i have no idea if i'm just being a pussy.

You're being a pussy.

When squatting, as long as you're going below parallel keeping a tight, upright back you should be fine (usually). Especially if you have weightlifting shoes.

The deadlift is the more scarier, trickier one to perfect. Your form can be fine for the first rep but can (and usually) breaks down by the 2-3rd rep.

I never really think I'm going to get hurt from doing it though (or any exercise for that matter). I've probably just fucking jinxed myself though.

>as long as you're doing it right, you'll be fine

i mean, that's self-evident, but you won't know you weren't doing it quite right until your shit snaps up

i'm constantly watching videos, filming myself, thinking about cues, etc, and basically trusting that that's enough to not fuck myself up next time i add 5 pounds to my garbage squat despite the fact that it feels horribly uncomfortable and terrifying every time

but maybe that's just how it is.

Hey bud I struggled with patella tendonosis for about a year. You may have a flexibility or muscle imbalance issue that is putting undue stress on your patella tendon like I was.

Go to the physio for a diagnosis.

What I'm trying to say is there is much more room for error with the squat. Like I said by going ATG, by default your form should be somewhat acceptable.

The worry starts when you're going parallel or slightly above. Your knees take the full brunt of the exercise.

I wouldn't worry about it that much if you are going ATG. I mean your main issue would be leaning too far forward or back, in any case, you would know because you'd lose your balance and fall.

im I had good form and still fucked my right knee. My hamstrings were extremely tight and putting huge strain on my knees regardless of form. It needs to be diagnosed

The issue is that I'm a lanklet with long femurs, so I do lowbar for lack of a better choice (at least to the best of my knowledge), and am still fucking around with rack position, stance, elevated heels, etc. But I always feel at risk of losing balance forward, and having to good morning on the way up.

Do exercises that allow you to have a vertical shin, it takes all the stress off your knees and puts the load on your leg muscles/hips (where you want it anyway)

I do barbell box squats
Bulgarian split squats
Step ups
Deadlifts are good as well as they give a vertical shin.

T. Recently tried these after not being able to comfortably work legs after a roastie hit my with her car years ago, and they are good and really help

After 6 months you made it to 2pl8.

YNDTFP

But now were moving away from it being due to form. Your scenario was due to tight hamstring etc. Of course the squats probably added to the injury but it didn't come about solely from squats themselves.

Do you have weightlifting shoes? I'd recommend them. I'd also recommend just squatting the bar and getting used to having a straight back and keeping upright, then move the weight up.

>Do you have weightlifting shoes? I'd recommend them. I'd also recommend just squatting the bar and getting used to having a straight back and keeping upright, then move the weight up.

I don't have weightlifting shoes. Hadn't decided if it was worth the investment since I'm still a beginner but if it makes that much of a difference I'll shell out the cash. And I did deload to work on form, but either I'm a slow learner or just weak, so adding weight every workout catches up with my form pretty quickly. I'm considering doing light squats with higher volume once a week after my normal workout is done just to work on form.

I've got EDS to and I constantly have to deload and take breaks from squatting.

Almost a year of constant pain. It's especially tough when I try to sleep because it's hard to not notice it then.

I don't really know what to do, I don't have access to a leg press, even though I've heard that's easier on the knees?

Weightlifting shoes make sure you that your always using your heels and give you a deeper squat, which I think would help you. Before getting them, try putting 5lb plates under your heels and squat the bar, it kinda replicates what the weightlifting shoes offer.

Form often breaks down when hitting a PR, it's expected.

I'd probably say you should do that after the workout. I wouldn't even care about the reps or weight, just make sure your focusing on form. It's always best to have good form and be safe than it is to squat heavy and risk getting injured due to poor form.

Good luck, user.

Thanks a lot man. I've been using 2.5lb plates, maybe those were too thin. I'm getting the shoes anyway. The Adidas Powerlift 3s are not too expensive on Amazon

Leg press is much harder on the knees since it's a quad dominant exercise. Squats being a compound movement are quads on the way down, then your glutes and hamstrings thrust you back up. Leg press is just quads down, quads up.

>EDS
>doing power exercises

so you're literally retarded.

let me explain this to you: You cannot do power exercises because you have EDS. Understand?

Go ride a bike if you want your legs to be big.

>Leg press is much harder on the knees since it's a quad dominant exercise

absolute complete and total rubbish. You do a leg press fucking lying or sitting down.

as a guy with no PCL, I *can't* squat. I can sure as fuck max out any leg press machine though.

Ask a guy who fucked up his knees on the leg press machine anything

what'd you do, lock out and fail?

Tendonitis can take more than a month to heal. I personally found it extremely important to still use the joint while recovering.