Ask a personal trainer anything

Ask a personal trainer anything

Listen here little baby. You're gonna get a lot of hurtful and degrading comments, but that ain't what I'm about. Let me just say, you are perfect the way you are. You hear me sugar? PERFECT. Don't ever change. You deserve anything and everything you want. Stay safe for me, baby girl. >mfw thinking of you hurting

what kind of shitty pasta is this

you fucked any hottie clients?

Hello, there newfriend. How are you enjoying Veeky Forums?

How much money do u make?
How much of your job is training and how much is doing a hard sell on new years ers?

desu the hotties clients thing is kind of a meme. Usually I just get skinny guys or fat black chicks. Maybe I'm just unlucky, but I rarely see any 10/10s with PTs

I'm 6'3" 230lbs, 16.5% BF and currently bulking. My BMI according to the calculating tool in my gym is around 28%. I don't feel like I look that fat, but I also don't feel like I've gained as much muscle as I'd like to. I'm concerned that this will cause me cardiovascular and other issues. Should I go ahead and keep bulking or start my cut sometime soon?

Post pic.

It's part of a work study program at my university so instead of giving me money the job pays down my tuition

I mostly focus on basic strength training for skelly novices

Why do you invent such ridiculous exercises instead of just coaching people to do normal lifts with good form

>ok now balance on the swiss ball and juggle these kettlebells

Depends on what you want. If you're at least 6 months new you can still take advantage of beginner gains imo. Of you want to get stronk like bull, keep eating like a beast. But then worry about abs later. It's always easier to drop fat than to pack on muscle

Why don't you fuck the fat black chicks?

I dont. There are other PTs that have their clients doing meme shit, I teach mostly barbell training to novice lifters

because they are black chicks, keep up desu

>It's always easier to drop fat than to pack on muscle
Shoo shoo hungry Skelly

Worst client experience?

>a guy with these stats is really going to ask some random pt for help

ooh this is a good one

I had this one freshman bitch come to me with that "I just want to get toned" shit and " I just kinda wanna focus on arms and belly fat. So I channeled my inner Rippletits and was like ok bitch you're gonna squat.
Basically she wouldn't even try to finish sets, barely put in any effort, said "I don't want to build lots of muscle" and "these weights are too heavy" and bitch and complain that the workouts were too hard. She dropped me after a month. Good riddance

I know that I look DYEL, which is why I'm confused as to why I'm so heavy/ numberfat

Currently fat. Have no desire to change that. I am going to the gym and want to get stronger. Any harm in not changing my diet if I am getting what I need?

Also, getting a trainer in September. Can't fucking believe there is a fucking waitlist at my gym. Still excited. Should I expect him to change my routine or just give pointers on form.

My advice? Grow grow grow, focus on strength for now. Eat like a beast. Try to add a little weight to the bar each session. If you can't add weight, do more reps. Chances are you'd look better with 20-40 lbs of muscle with a bit more fat then just where you are now.

Thanks user, every time I go in I either try to increase weight or volume of my lifts. I have a history of sports/weightlifting but it wasn't until about 2 months ago that I really started taking my diet seriously... How long might you think it will take to attain that much muscle growth? I'm eating a goal of 3700kcal ~180g protein erryday.

You're not going to be able to get stronger unless you ramp up your protein intake. Why don't you want to not be fat? Sounds like you have a fear of failure

If you're already fat chances are you can handle more weight than most people, so just eat for maintenance, progressive overload, and you'll get stronger

PT quality varies dramatically and are usually worse in commercial gyms. That's where you see all the meme exercises. Make sure your PT knows your goal is to get strong as fuck and not do bosu ball plank or whatever. Pick a proven strength program like Texas Method or something, tell them you already have a routine, and have give you pointers/form checks/etc.

It's hard to tell how long it will take before certain numbers can be put up, so just follow your program and you will get there eventually.

What do you hate/like most about your job

Like: not having to go into debt because I work for my uni

Hate: curlbros

ayy lmao

No problem on the protein. I eat fairly clean just way too much of it. I have a fear of success.

I really can't handle more weight than most. I grab the 40lb barbell for two arm curls and swing it like a fucking baton. Then I watch my form and have a fuck of a time finishing my sets. I am currently experiencing noob gains, so likely going to up the weight next week. I gave up a few years back because I kept getting the bosu ball and burpies.

ayy lmao

Having trouble squatting, I feel like I'm leaning too far forward to keep my balance just doing my own bodyweight. How do I do it right? Are there some stretches I should do or things I should loosen?

Hey OP, I'm a skinnyfat dude (180lb, 5'10, M) and I suffer from a pinched nerve in my lower spine,are there any exercises you could recommend for me to build lumbar strength?

Work on your hip flexibility, throw some lunges in or something

I have been - I foam roll my glutes, thighs, and IT bands. I stretch my front hip too, and do figure 4's. Any that I'm missing?

yes. Lifting

uh well idk what a pinched nerve is or how to deal with it but I can tell you that if you want to strengthen your lower back do floor pulls and good mornings.

AYY LMAO

It's basically a slipped disk where the herniated portion presses on another nerve, causing pain.

I also can't feel anything from my belly button down. I still try squats and DLs, but I squat using a smith machine because I don't know if my back will give out.

Also, thanks for the tip , I'll do those more often

how do I activate my almonds

If you're gonna squat, dont use a smith machine. If you can't squat because of your condition, dont squat. Leg press might be more up your alley, but I'm not a doctor so I don't know. Find out from someone more qualified, I'm just the barbell guy

btw by floor pulls I mean DLs, RDLS, Sumo DL,cleans, snatches, etc.

with alkalized water

Is fasting for days a good initial weight loss diet for jump starting weight loss. I'm like 40 pounds overweight

uh idk im more of a strength coach sorry I couldn't tell you tbqh

be honest. you flirt with the qt clients dont you you sly fox

How about this. I have a yoked upper body, good biker quads. But my hamstrings and calves are weak. I have a bad lower back from football and my hammies aren't flexible.

Is my hamstring flexibility holding my calf and hamstrings back fr growing? As well as causing lower back pain? I used to be able to deadlift 365 but deads always hurt my back. Also I don't have much of an ass

ayy lmao
;-;

Well as I said earlier in the thread I usually deal with skinny guys and the occasional hood bitch. But I did coach this one cute girl for a while and yeah we flirted with each other. Considered asking her out but didn't want to risk her tattling to management if she said no. feels bad man

summer fag fuck off

ayy lmao

have you ever fucked any of your clients?

Would you say boxing is a good strength building sport ?

Have you had sex with your clients?

Did the holocaust actually happen?

Sounds like you should squat more, that should fix a lot of what you are asking. Also Romanian Deadlifts are the GOAT hamstring exercise

I'm no injury expert, but lower back pain could be from performing the lift incorrectly or from weak glutes, which you can fix by squatting more ofc. But again, I'm no expert on pain/injuries/imbalances, etc

no

no

(((no)))

Not op but from my advice from doing 6 weeks at a free boxing facility (where they were gung-ho that I was their next superstar) I can say this. It was cardio-cardio-abs-cardio-cardio-abs-cardio- hit bags (cardio in disquise) then spar people (cardio in disquise). It was brutal but I loved it...until I got my second black eye on my beautiful face then I quit. I learned how to fight but getting hit is not fun. There are some gyms that do boxing cardio without sparring, I reccomend that. HOWEVER, training for combat brings out the most in you, I trained my hardest every day because I didn't want my ass kicked

What is a good way to organize walking in small sets of 2,3,4 or 5km's in a day? Maybe eventually reaching 15-20km (to maintain for several months before settling into a cozy routine once I'm at optimal weight.

If it matters, I'm 349lbs, 31 year old, and refusing to reach 350. My endurance is shot so I'd eventually like to spread out and learn my neighbourhood and beyond, by walking in spurts.

high intensity cardio is wayyyyy better for weight lost than hours of walking. But you know what's even better? Not eating so much.
No offense

Thanks, I have pain in Romanians too, I think my flexibility is bad so I am going to work on that.

What about small calves and shins?

Does fasting for days, is it really that bad?

tbqh in my experience calf raises are pretty ineffective compared to sprints, squats, and even jumprope. And honestly calf size and shape is mostly genetic. Thats why you'll see some guys with a 3pl8 squat have puny calves, and guys with massive calves who never ever train them. Idk if shins even contribute that much to overall leg strength and I can't think of any actual exercises that target the shins.

Answered that in . Nutrition isn't really my thing, sorry

Squats don't do shit for calves, that's why you may see guys with 3pl8 squats with shitty calves.
Do you know ANYTHING about biomechanics? Seems to me you're unqualified to do anything if you don't even know what muscles a squat works.

Should I bulk or cut. 6' 187lbs

Of course squats enage the calves, I'm not saying they are neglected in a full squat. Better calve strength will stablize your squat stance, obviously. But the squat is not a great exercise for calves ALONE is what I meant

up to you desu.

Hey boss. I recently started PT'ing as well. Im in Canada and i get aboot $13 for a 45 minute session. If i get people to buy increments of 12 sessions with me i get $25. 12 sessions usually takes the avg person one month 3x a week kinda deal.

My clients range from 50 year old female cancer survivers to 20 year old guys.

Any tips on programming keep in mind 45 min sessions?

In fact I would say the squat is MUCH better for building calf strength then the shitty ass calf raises I see people doing.

All depends on their goals. I'm a strength trainer at my uni gym so I work mostly with young skeleton male novices. If you're training your young guys for strength you could use proven programs or refer to Practical Programming by senpai Rippletits. I couldn't tell ya how to deal with 50 year old ladies tho m8

why do you lie to clients

how do you live with your fake certification

grow up

t.physical therapy student

AYYLMAO
Y
Y
L
M
A
O

wat

Why did you try and make me do nothing but Isolation when I was starting out? I said that all I wanted was to be shown everything I'd need to get fucking aesthetic not how to be a DYEL

ayy lmao

There are a few reasons why PTs avoid teaching the big lifts
Most trainers are lazy assholes, and it'll take some time trying to teach a newb the proper setup and execution of say a deadlift, so they'd rather sit you down in a machine while you bang out a million reps. Also they're too lazy to program so that's why the routines usually look so random. Probably 90% of trainers just make it up as they go

have any of your clients entered into your sexual fantasies op?

yes. i could see my qt clients thong thru her Nike shorts and that kinda turned me on

So I've heard. That's why I'm specifically looking for tips regarding sets of km's walked.

Is your advice to a guy my size is to bypass walking and go straight into high cardio?

yes. Don't forget to add in some work with weights as well. But most important is diet by far. Fix that ish and you'll make it

Another PT here, not going to interfere with OPs thread but will answer this, as nutritional advice is a speciality, and I'm planning on going back to university to study as a dietician next year

It is literally just CICO. Less CI is just as effective as CO, with a few "buts"
PTS can only give nutritional advice, not prescriptive diets or things to prevent conditions, or tell people to take supplements or any dietary remedies even if I am 100% positive it will help, and this advice should only be in line with standard dietary guidelines etc.
Part of that is the 500 calories below maintanence thing, as it lowers the chance of becoming malnourished by not getting the right nutrients in a heavily restricted diet, you will not feel as weak or fatigued as if you fasted, no risk of hair loss, shitty skin or nails, or fucking up your hormones (but you're fat, you're already eating bad, you're already running these risks) and your body doesn't start eating itself to get more energy.

However, if you don't care about losing muscle, and just want to lose weight fast, fasting will do it, I just can't tell you that in a professional capacity.

You will however encounter a problem when you stop fasting, the human body is very good at adapting, not only will your calorie intake need to be lower as you're less of a fat fuck, your body will be using what energy it has more efficiently to try to keep you alive, so don't just work out your TDEE and go from there, ease your way in to it, and work up to your expected TDEE.

Also drink lots of water, your stomach can't tell if it's full from food or fluid, it will help control grehlin levels, so you only have to worry about leptin making you hungry.

What do about back tightness. Just get a massage?

ayy lmao

AYY LMAO

ayy lmao

AYY LMAO

Not OP, but if you're lifting for aesthetics work abs and keep cutting.

If you want to be bigger, stay on your routine and bulk. It'll keep you progressing on your lifts. Change your routine up when you plateau. Either way, looking better than 95% of people. Good job.

ayy lmao

Ayyy lmao