Hexbar master race

www.bretcontreras.com/straight-bar-deadlift-versus-hex-bar-deadlift/

>study shows you can do 20kg more with hexbar, and it's safer for your spine

Why aren't you doing hexbar deadlifts to go heavier, user?

Why not 1rm with a hexbar?

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>it's safer
Learn proper form
>add 20 kg to your 1rm
So it's cheating

Only faggot """athletes""" use hex bars

Abstract:
>Swinton, PA, Stewart, A, Agouris, I, Keogh, JWL, and Lloyd, R. A biomechanical analysis of straight and hexagonal barbell deadlifts using submaximal loads. J Strength Cond Res 25(7): 2000-2009, 2011
>The purpose of the investigation was to compare the kinematics and kinetics of the deadlift performed with 2 distinct barbells across a range of submaximal loads. Nineteen male powerlifters performed the deadlift with a conventional straight barbell and a hexagonal barbell that allowed the lifter to stand within its frame. Subjects performed trials at maximum speed with loads of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, and 80% of their predetermined 1-repetition maximum (1RM). Inverse dynamics and spatial tracking of the external resistance were used to quantify kinematic and kinetic variables.
>Subjects were able to lift a heavier 1RM load in the hexagonal barbell deadlift (HBD) than the straight barbell deadlift (SBD) (265 ± 41 kg vs. 245 ± 39 kg, p < 0.05). [20kg avg. difference]
>The design of the hexagonal barbell significantly altered the resistance moment at the joints analyzed (p < 0.05), resulting in lower peak moments at the lumbar spine, hip, and ankle (p < 0.05) and an increased peak moment at the knee (p < 0.05). Maximum peak power values of 4,388 ± 713 and 4,872 ± 636 W were obtained for the SBD and HBD, respectively (p < 0.05). Across the submaximal loads, significantly greater peak force, peak velocity and peak power values were produced during the HBD compared to during the SBD (p < 0.05).
>The results demonstrate that the choice of barbell used to perform the deadlift has a significant effect on a range of kinematic and kinetic variables. The enhanced mechanical stimulus obtained with the hexagonal barbell suggests that in general the HBD is a more effective exercise than the SBD.

So you lift totally raw, no belt, chalk, straps, and with a smooth barbell?

>don't touch the bar to your chest, it's bad for your shoulders
>use dumbbells not barbells
>use a hex bar
>don't squat below parallel
>don't max your lifts, just do 6rm at most
>time under tension

are you saying you never make mistakes?

Sick stawman but the purpose of a deadlift in the practical sense is to practice picking up objects that are in front of you and to put shear force on your intraspinal muscles

It's not a strawman for him to say it's "cheating" tho?

That's ridiculous. If you use the "low handles" you're lifting from the same height as a regular deadlift would be, but it's safer, easier to learn and better for sports.

What he said about "cheating" makes no sense and pointing that out isn't in a strawman.

That's like saying Arching your back in bench = cheating
Using leg drive = cheating
Low bar squats = cheating
Sumo deadlifts = cheating

>gifted trainees make the worst coaches

Not everyone is best suited for conventional deadlifting mah dude. The point of the deadlift is simply a maximally loaded hip hinge movement. There's literally no point in having a superiority complex because you perform a "more correct" variation of the same movement.

The best deadlift variation I've found for me is the squat stance deadlift done at the same weight as I would use for a front squat for moderate reps. Not everyone has long arms and legs with a short torso.

Also this...

You should do sumo deadlifts then.

Personally I sumo deadlift + trapbar deads as a variation

>cheating
there is no cheating in bodybuilding or athletic performance unless it is specifically banned.
is the trapbar banned?

>if you think one thing, you must also believe all these other totally unrelated things that are ridiculous and don't have any scientific backing

Excellent logic my man.

Someone DARED to say that MAYBE the hexbar is better for people who AREN'T powerlifters and that must totally mean they also think you should squat above parallel, not do full ROM bench and all this other nonsense. man fuck this board

I always feel as though I'm about to fall forward when I pull sumo. I've looked up every set up tutorial to be found and even talked to one of the Olympic / powerlifting coaches at my uni...he's the one that showed me the squat stance. I've been making legit progress and am up to 255x5 on them

I do hex bar as well but I usually do them as a complex with weighted carries. As in pick up, walk 30 feet, drop, turn around, repeat

>better for sports
This is demonstrably correct, better for sprints and vertical leap, but it changes the deadlift from a hip hinge to a knee extension with very little hip hinge, largely removing the hamstrings from a hamstring and glute movement.

Also you're strawmanning by saying that a deadlift constitutes what you mentioned. It's a different purpose entirely

>but it changes the deadlift from a hip hinge to a knee extension with very little hip hinge, largely removing the hamstrings from a hamstring and glute movement.

Pic related nigga

strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

>The peak spinal flexion moment was 9.2% higher for the conventional deadlift, and the peak hip flexion moment was 8.4% higher for the conventional deadlift. If the participants would have actually used the same relative load with each bar (i.e. 80% of trap bar 1rm vs. 80% of conventional 1rm) instead of the same absolute load, the demands on the hip extensors and spinal erectors probably would have been nearly identical.

You can do it "hingeyier" or "squattier", pic related.

Okay boys I'll concede your points. Both very well made. I'll tell you the real reason i don't use the hex bar: the collars are too short to put on big boy weight. The bar doesn't accommodate more than 5plate pushed to the very edge. With the hex bar that pushes me into useless rep ranges. I'm not interested in 12 rep sets through such a valuable CNS exercise such as the deadlift
>Just do more reps to win that hyper trophy
Yeah i want the hyper trophy but i just do SLDL for the bodybuilding component of my training.

I'm just one dyel boy :)

>the collars are too short to put on big boy weight
I'll get there soon some day. Im learning sumo rn anyway

>crossfit plates
>sumo
What is that like 300 conventional deadlift?

Hmm can you please post yfw i deadlift 6pl8 conventional?

newfag

Teach sumo deadlifts please

i can put 1500 lbs on my trap bar. rackable too.

>arms between knees
>hands to bar
>lift
:^)

my sumo is like 80 lbs below my conventional tho

You don't know who boardshorts is, do you retard?

>using meme bars to go heavier
at that point you might as well just use a forklift, no thanks

I don't plan on ever competing in powerlifting so I think I could be completely fine with doing trap bar Deadlifts and front squats for legs. Thanks for the pic there user.

Could be related to hip morphology. A lot of people pull more conventional than sumo

When did you decide to do mixed grip dls and why did you decide to do so?

*hook grip

I only mix grip when my thumbs hurt

Maybe, ill keep working on it. maybe my form is bad, i know my conventional form is trash for sure(lack of tightness)

When did u start doing sumo btw, what weight? I feel like a fucking idiot baby doing sumo under 2plate, i feel like everyone is starting and judging me.

If that image was true, everyone who ever deadlifted would have snapped spines.

The fact is, there is no evidence to prove barbell deadlifting causes SPINAL injury.

Prove they didn't. Maybe they fucked their shit up but it hasn't struck a nerve, yet.

Meh i don't think anyone is judging you but i had just pulled 515 when i started and immediately matched it with sumo

How do I decide what width is best for me? The wide AF where your feets go as close as possible to the plates, or the ed coan one where it's narrower

It's a personal thing, again it mostly comes down to hip morphology

What are your thoughts on doing sumo as my main DL and then trapbar deadlifts as a variation?

I really don't want to do conventional.

interested in this too

I also pull conventional in the 500s and just started sumo a few months ago, it rapidly caught up to my conventional (surpassed it in terms of rep work and e1rm based on lower percentages) but it still seems like heavy weights really knock me out of my groove so it doesn't quite translate to 1rm yet

here's hoping I can sumo meme my way to 6pl8

i don't see why not if you have poor conventional leverages and don't want the lower back shear stress

Is trapbar dl + sumo enough though? Can I only do those and be fine? I'll do leg curls and shit too

Not enough hip hinge imo

yeah i don't see why not

i really think people make too big of a deal out of choosing lift variants anyway (as far as general strength and size is concerned, not PL), as long as you pick a lift that serves your purposes and lends itself well to progressive overload and then get really strong at that lift you'll be ok

i think people concerned with optimal development right now or a month from now are probably not lifting for that long, now that i've been lifting for 6 years i realize that longevity and enjoyment outweighs that in the long term

so if your lower back takes a beating because you aren't built well for conventional and don't like it, fuck it, you can do without it

I'm kind of interested in powerlifting though although im completely too dyel right now

just bring your trapbar to the meet

sumo + a pure hip hinge move like SLDL or RDL would be enough, you could just do trapbar as well for laughs/overload that's easier on the back

I switched over to the squats + Romanian deadlifts master race

Regularly deadlifts are crap

t. dyel

are you a braphog?

why the fuck is a hip hinge movement so important

The people who blindly accept needing to deadlift to make gains are more likely to be DYEL. Unless you want to get better at deadlifting then deadlifting isn't the optimal movement

i put on a lot of size from deadlifting, definitely most of my lower body mass and lower back and trap and neck mass

but i agree

i don't think it was the optimal way to do so, just a really fun and really simple way (and being able to pull 500+ is fun)

>"optimal"

Minimal exercise variation is always optimal.

>not doing strapless beltless deficit deadlifts just so you can add a few more lbs to your pathetic lift
Weak cheating faggot

>Not doing one-armed 30" deficit deadlifts in the least comfortable shoes, stance while cranking your neck back

cheating little bitch

This. when you are in the jungle you may not have access to both arms or perfectly comfortable shoes. If you dont train like this you're a pussy.

>not being dead

You're not even doing a dead lift, faggot.

>>study shows you can do 20kg more with hexbar
>making the lift easier gives better gains
>t. Crossfit

Make sure to crank your neck back as hard as possible too.

There is more than one way to build muscle and get jacked. Deadlifts do it for some people but for others they dont. There is no reason to pressure others into deadlifting because you like doing it.
Personally I could never conception deadlift comfortably and I didnt really care for getting really good at it so I see no point in doing it.

t. cheating pussy who doesnt do the best deadlift variations such as

>Deadlifts do it for some people but for others they dont
i mean you don't have to deadlift if you don't want to, but that sentence is just retarded

>so I see no point in doing it.

Learning the hinge movement pattern is literally one of the most important things as a human though, you should be doing at least some sort of deadlift (trapbar, stifflegged, dumbbell, sumo)

>Low bar squats are better than high bar squats because you can lift more
>Trap bar deadlifts are worse than straight bar deadlifts because can lift more

>not deadlifting using a complex pulley system that allows you to pull 2,000kg with 2 fingers
why even bother?

Well many guys hate the exercise and just strenuously grind out reps with bad form until they can move on to a different exercise. I dont see how that would benefit them.
Why is that?
I had my fair share of using the hip hinge movement when I wrestled and did some construction work. Of course its useful but you dont need to be deadlifting 4+ plates to have a good hip hinge.
I could throw people weighing 200+ when I weighed under 160 and I wasnt a good deadlifter at all, and people in my weight class weren't a challenge at all so I never saw a point in focusing on it, let alone now when I dont wrestle.

what he means is this scenario

lifter A has long limbs, his conventional feels natural and places much less stress on the lower back; as a direct result, lifter A can do and recover from more volume, use heavier weight, and is much less likely to get injured

lifter B has short limbs, deadlifting feels awkward and torso angle is almost parallel to the ground, so there is massive shear stress on the lower back; as a result, this lifter can do less weight, tolerate less volume, and has a higher chance of injury

do you see why deadlifts would be a great mass builder for lifter A, but probably not that great for lifter B?

>lifter B has short limbs, deadlifting feels awkward and torso angle is almost parallel to the ground

Lifter b can use the sumo deadlift and do well.

sure, unless someone states otherwise i just take "deadlift" to mean "conventional deadlift"

I do sumo trap bar deadlifts. GOML

>user gives an excerpt from an actual sceintific study done by educated people unlike the average Veeky Forums poster
>HURRR DURR HEXBAR IS GAY
dont reproduce troglodite

its safe for your spine because you use less back

Ignore sb conventional deadlift purist posters, they are justifying the mistakes and injuries they made by shitting on other variations

>falling for the science meme

idiot :D

All i am saying is that you look like a pussy faggot with a hexbar.

But he never said shit about Low bar Squats you fucking jew.

>better for sport
Except for, you know, actual weightlifting and powerlifting.

It also nerfs lower back involvement, so why even bother. If I'm going to majorly activate legs, especially without as much hamstrings, I'll just fucking squat.

A pussy faggot who is stronger than you.

>:D
suicide yourself

>So it's cheating
cheating who?
neither do i nor 99% of Veeky Forums compete in powerlifting

for general purposes hex bar dl > standard bar dl
>inb4 plg autism

I'll post here since I didn't get any advice in the qtddtot:

So I was messing around with a friend yesterday and his gym has a hexbar with really good grit for grip, better than the hex at my gym. I normally do a pyramid on leg days with normal deadlift and another pyramid of hexbar deadlift, and then 5x5 of yolk bar squats (wrist injury gets in the way of normal squats).

My best good deadlift is 505 conventional. Today I ended up doing 520 lbs or so (don't know what the hex weighs, 55-60 lbs iirc) for 1 rep with the hexbar, and I felt that I could do a fair bit more.

Questions from that blog shit:

1. How stupid on a scale of 1 to 10 is maxing with a hexbar?

2. Why can I do it better than a normal deadlift? I suck at squats btw but my quads somehow seem evidently decent

3. How are my quads so good when I suck at squats and sumo, and have focused on conventional for years?

4. Could I do conventional dl and try to use quads and treat it like a hex? Or with hex am I using hamstrings?

Sorry for all this shit but I'm confused

jesus fuck your body is weird

No calves and high quads, user.

I'm surprised you can lift all that weight with those chicken legs.

1. It's not stupid.
2. The mechanical advantages / weight distribution of having the weight at your side and standing up v2. out in front of you. (I think this is correct though I'm sure someone will correct me if not.)

3. lol @ your quads. If you really do have huge legs under there, then thank genetics.

Didn't say my quads were huge.

They're strong, apparently