Newbie Tips

Hi Veeky Forums

I'm going to a gym for the first time in my life to try and lose some weight, and since I don't know much on the subject, what should I do there for starters?

How often should I go there? Friends have been telling me that if I go everyday I'll lose motivation and get excessively tired.

Lastly, what kind of food should I avoid?

Other urls found in this thread:

sailrabbit.com/bmr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>>>/fat/

Yes, yes, but the focus is more on what I could do on a gym to lose weight and less about diet per se.

First few times I would recommend you work all muscles every session, and not too hard. I mean you should still get tired but don't walk in and work your biceps to the ground with 5 different biceps-exercises, do an all-round workout.

After that you should use google because everything is out there, same with food...

You can't outtrain a bad diet bub. Develop good eating habits now if you actually want to take fitness seriously

Pick a solid routine intended for beginners and stick to it.

Eating foods that are generally "Healthy" is a good choice, but weight loss is generally calories in, calories out. (and dont kid yourself on this one, you know that mcDonalds isn't healthy, carrots are.) Check your TDEE (/fat/ has a link) and eat less than that to lose weight, more than that to gain weight. Use the app MyFitnessPal(its free) to track calories. Read the book Starting Strength, even if you do a different program it has good info on how to lift, form, etc.
Remember that you won't lose motivation if you see results.
Tbqh at a certain point lifting just becomes habit, and you dont even think to quit because it's just part of your routine.

What about cardio? Isn't it good for losing weight as well? What I have in mind is the treadmill specifically, since I'd rather using it than jogging on the street.

See

I'm already working on changing my diet to something healthier. But I've been reading and it seems that I should eat less than enough for my maintenance so that my body will burn fat? Is that it?

That was very helpful, thanks. But shouldn't I lose the fat before I start focusing on muscles? Basically what I want to know is what are the best exercises/training I can do on a gym in order to lose weight, since my diet is already quite healthy.

See

>But shouldn't I lose the fat before I start focusing on muscles?
No. Absolute beginners can lose fat and pack on muscles simultaneously, which becomes very hard later on.
>Basically what I want to know is what are the best exercises/training I can do on a gym in order to lose weight
None. You don't do exercises to lose weight, you eat less.
An hour of rowing will burn ~500 calories, which is roughly the same as not eating a muffin. Which is harder to consistently do for several months?
Cardio has its uses, as the name implies, to improve your cardiovascular health. Doing cardio to lose weight is full on retarded, just eat less for fuck's sake. Stuffing your face with calories and then doing cardio to lose calories is a waste of time and money.
>since my diet is already quite healthy.
While I doubt this, since you're fat you are eating too much, whether it's healthy or not. Eat less.

Well then, so let's say I go to the gym all week and start eating properly. Do I alternate between lifting and cardio each day or do both every day for better results?

If you're seriously fat, alternate, otherwise just lift and eat less.
Height/weight/bf%?

I'm 1.85m/6ft, 105kg/231lbs and no idea regarding body fat.

you are obese. You don't eat healthy. You don't need the gym to lose weight, I lost 80 pounds without stepping foot in a gym.

read the fucking sticky

Estimate it based on this picture
And i'm assuming you're a man, if you're a 105 kg woman you might as well kill yourself

105 kg is fat, but for your height it's not that much. You don't need to do cardio for fat loss.
Use sailrabbit.com/bmr/ to find out how many calories you should eat a day to maintain weight, then actually track your calories (myfitnesspal app) and eat 500 less than maintenance.

I'd say 30% then.

Agreed, but going to the gym couldn't do any harm, eh?

When i started i was 137kgs at 6'4 start by picking up the weights, i started on strong lifts and dont worry about diet as such, baby steps get in the gym, The added activity will help you start losing weight and gaining some baby size then start focusing on diet and add in 10-15mins cardio before you lift or after its up to you.

Once you get more into it and start seeing some results download my fitnesspal app and track everything you eat. Dont worry about marcos just make sure you have a protien rich diet.

I bred help bulking, could I ask here for advice?