QTDDTOT

questions that don't deserve their own thread

pre workout even though I go to bed after gym?

I lift 3x/week and try to avoid caffeine other than pwo

Other urls found in this thread:

custommealplanner.com/
t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-ab-exercises
buffdudes.us/blogs/news/buff-dudes-bulking-book-free-edition-sample-meal-plan
cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/how-to-train-like-a-sprinter-334002
newbie-fitness.blogspot.co.at/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I),
youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ),
reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq
t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength
strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

How should I keep track of weight/reps at the gym
Should I carry a notepad and pencil like a total autist or is there any good app that would work?

excel app is obviously goat

Is there any website with meal templates? like you introduce the desired macros and/or kcals and it pops up?
I've started to become clueless and I want to just do simple things

custommealplanner.com/

Are there any good work out programs for women that specifically target muscles that make girls more attractive?

SS is a good start for strength but I mostly want to target butt/back, you know?

upper lower splits are okay for women i think, because more emphasis on lower than most other programs

Any Veeky Forums girls have suggestions for comfortable sports bras??

I use olive oil for cooking, always 10g of it.
Am I consuming it all? like does the food absorb it or does it get evaporated?

wondering since this could screw up my fat intake

Does having wide shoulders mean it will be harder to make trap(muscle) gains?
They seem like one of the few muscles that will seperate me from dyels without taking my shirt off.

What are the best exercises for a complete abs/obliques experience? I want to have the whole thing.

What i do now:
Crunches/Hanging Leg Raises/Planks
Don't know what else to start doing or stop doing from those. I squat 2.5pl8's but my core looks undefined as fuck.

You certainly do miss some of it, fat is lost in cooking as heat evapores some of it, some sprays off the pan and some leaves on the pan. If cutting, count it as it is, if bulking, count it as 5 grams less.

If you pair these with the hanging leg raises you'll be hitting core pretty well.
Eventually you can work up to doing them with legs fully extended.

if you're using Android, Fitnotes is a solid app

The Glute Nigga wrote an article with some EMG data on abs: t-nation.com/training/inside-the-muscles-best-ab-exercises

personally: i do hanging leg raises, ring rollouts (these are essentially ab wheel rollouts but i don't have an ab wheel), and landmine twists. hanging windscreen wipers are good if you can do them

>ab wheel rollouts
Just make sure to watch a couple tutorial videos before doing these, you can strain your back if you do them wrong.

just had my first BCAAs ever a few hours ago, and i felt the effect immediately - more energy, less stress somehow. almost felt like a drug. thus far thought they were a meme, and when you take whey / eat lean meat / dairy products, they are unnecessary, but they were a on sale and i thought i'd give them a shot. but at least it feels like they are at least doing something.

also i am doing IF, some sources say that taking BCAAs in the morning is good for muscle maintenance / gains, while others say they 'break the fast' and give insulin spike. what does Veeky Forums say?

Lets say I don't want strength, all I care about is aesthetics, what program should I follow? I've been on SS for a month now but I'm bored as fuck and I add some extra bicep/tricep/core accessory more often than not. Should I continue or change to something else?

quick how many calories is this

building a base of general strength before moving onto a bodybuilding routine is, i think, sensible, but SS isn't the only way of doing it. what do you find boring about the programme?

prob at least 1K. at least 70% of calories fat, perhaps 20% protein and 10% carbs.

Does anybody has the PDF of the Buff dudes bulking book? They posted the routine but I'd like to see the recipes in it and the art

>inb4 buy it

Fuck it, I'm a cheap bastard

buffdudes.us/blogs/news/buff-dudes-bulking-book-free-edition-sample-meal-plan

Looks like yoghurt based topping instead of mayo, so Id say less than what you suggested. The meat seems somewhat lean, 800 kcal? I cant see shit!

why does a lower/restricted carb diet help burn fat than a regular carb diet? does the body rely on burning fat on energy more if less carbs are consumed? thinking of keeping my carb intake on a caloric deficit at max 100g.

I have access to a small 'homegym', with gymnastic rings and a bar with bumper plates, but nothing else.
Will I lose all my gains if I focus solely on chin ups, dips, and clean&press for the next couple of years?

I try to grab fat on my sides and abs but it's just skin, legit no fat just tiny bit of skin like all human beans but yet I dont look that shredded

does this mean its time to lean bulk and that im wasting time cutting?

How do I know I've had enough good for the day? I developed the habit of eating until there's no more food left in meals, how do I tell the point where I leave legitimate hunger and enter gluttony?

It does? If it does it's because of hormones.
But it shouldn't, you should feel less hungry on fats tho.

I second this , Fitnote even has the option to analyze your total workout in nice graphs, volume, sets, plate calculator (it comes handy) and includes the option to add exercises it doesn't have prewritten.

if it had a timer and a ring bell to notify about resting times it would be GOAT

bad pic i know, also just the rice, meat and salad, I don't plan on eating the potatoes & yogurt

it does have a timer

why is that? i tried eating mostly fats/protein the other day and i didn't feel hungry around the time i usually would.

i.e., a rest timer (that can be configured to vibrate, ring, etc.)—i should have clarified that

Looking to get fit and I'm big into tracking and recording my data what are some good metrics to work off other than just weight and body fat% I am looking to gain strength and some size

OOOOOOOOOOOOH I'm so fucking stupid I completely missed it, I just checked.

I wonder if it's loud enough to hear in in the gym though, but vibrating in the pocket should be enough

weight and body fat are the main two. you could take measurements of your body (chest, biceps, thighs, etc.) but it's a faff and tells you little that your eyes don't. aside from that, just track your lifts (e.g., 1-rep maxima) and whatever activities you do (running (best 5k, 10k, HM, etc.), cycling (FTP, best 40k, times over various intervals), etc.)...?

dont forget benis size and times fapped per day

Is there any benefit to doing an EC stack while eating at maintenance?

How do I keep my routine tight if I have to play semi-proffesional soccer! Is it better to pause gym on match and hard trainings or keep pushing through? If I eat enough.

Really stupid question, but I'm currently staying up to fix my sleep schedule, does my TDEE carry on from the previous day? Should I log all my calories for today even though I've been up since yesterday?

Leptin or something, eating carbs makes you hungrier sooner than eating fats.

Is this routine from the sticky any good?

I wanna get swolen on chest and arms

>Workout A
>3x5 Squat
>3x5 Bench Press
>1x5 Deadlift
>2x5-8 dips (only add weight if you are doing >10 bodyweight dips)

>Workout B
>3x5 Squat
>3x5 Standing military press
>3x5 Pendlay Rows (or power cleans for 5x3, 5 sets of 3 reps apiece)
>2x5-8 chinups ***if you do the power cleans, do 3 sets of chinups***

Fridays only (Not earlier than 3 weeks into program) -
Parallel Bar dips or incline skullcrushers - 2 x 8-12
barbell/DB/EZ-Bar curls - 2 x 8-12

It doesn't matter.
Count week by week if it fits your schedule better, it matters over time not over a single day.

it depends on how frequently you train in the gym, how frequently you train in football, and what you do in both. it's certainly possible to do both but you need to be intelligent about managing your (leg) fatigue. the example i like to use to show that it *can* be done is sprint cyclists on the track: see cyclingweekly.com/fitness/training/how-to-train-like-a-sprinter-334002 for an example, though it doesn't shed much light on how it's done

what's your current routine?

it's fine, but i don't think you'd see much from doing 2 sets of curls once a week (unless you meant that you were going to be doing 2 sets of barbell curls, 2 sets of dumbbell curls, and 2 sets of ez-bar curls—but even then...)

if you really want to get in more chest/tri/bi volume right now, you could do some supersets (e.g. throwing in bicep exercises as supersets in Workout A and throwing in chest/tri exercises as supersets in Workout B)

but you may as well just stick to what you're doing until you stall—you're likely pretty early on in your lifting career and the base strength should be prioritised first

Does it matter how frequently I eat? My body will go into starvation mode if I eat too infrequently right?

I've picked something from the sticky and done this for a month now. I was pretty fit to begin with but not huge.

newbie-fitness.blogspot.co.at/2006/12/rippetoes-starting-strength.html

I have football training 3 times a week plus 1 match at the weekend.

>if you really want to get in more chest/tri/bi volume right now, you could do some supersets (e.g. throwing in bicep exercises as supersets in Workout A and throwing in chest/tri exercises as supersets in Workout B)

Thanks for the advice, do you have any exercises in mind, I'm not native so it's often hard for me to find good routines. I have pretty good base strength I'm power running for years. Thank you

It takes a lot more than eating infrequently to slow significatively your metabolism. But if you fast for more than 2 non-consecutive days per week, and the second is a bit iffy anyway, you'll feel weaker and life will all around suck, so don't do it. Eating infrequently a la intermittent fasting instead is perfectly ok, as long as you eat at least a meal or 2 per day, and get all the calories you should.

How do I increase my barbell row? I've stalled on LP and need some good ideas to increase it- maybe 3x8 back off sets? Or dumbell rows afterwards?

Do naps for 1 - 1,5 hours count for my sleep?

Nobody has any opinion at all?

Thanks for the info!

Please respond

it's a little bit awkward as SS has you increasing the load each workout, so you can't taper before your weekend. you could butcher the Texas Method and do something like: intensity day on Monday, volume on Wednesday, 'light' on Friday. alternatively, you could stick to SS but do a slight deload (e.g. taking 20% off the lifts) on the Friday. another alternative (and my recommendation) would be to change the routine to one where you're only hitting your lower body twice a week (e.g. a 4-day UL split, like Candito's linear progression plan)

i should add that you can definitely train with some fatigue in your legs, even if you'd want fresher legs for a match. i do am/pm splits on weekdays, where i'm lifting in the mornings and running or on the turbo trainer in the evenings, and it's fine, though i won't be setting PRs on those days. don't let anyone think that you can't do both. you'll develop the capacity to work through it

>21 year old male around 65-67 kg (143-147 lbs) 175 cm (5"9) and skinny fat (belly mostly)
>been hitting the gym, do treadmill for about 30 mins and then workout for 30 mins or so, either daily or every other day (total 1h or little more)

my question is, should i be seeking to lose weight to remove belly fat? i'd say my diet is semi-decent (no fizzy drinks or other kind of garbage. still trying to fix it as well as i can) or do i just try to "balance" / maintain calories (while eating healthy of course) and depend on the treadmill to lose the belly in due time?

you should try out a range of different exercises and see which ones you like! some suggestions:

biceps: barbell/ez-bar/dumbbell curls, preacher curls, hammer curls, 21s, Zottman curls, reverse curls, chin-ups (in a higher rep range)
chest + tri: close-grip bench press, dips
chest: pullovers, flies, cable crossovers
tri: lying tricep extensions (youtube.com/watch?v=-rh3MHnRI_I), skullcrushers, tricep pushdowns

if you've a bar and plates, you should really add in some rows, deadlifts or sumo deadlifts, front squats, and maybe floor presses. you can also do a lot more with the rings than you might imagine (ring chest flies, ring rows, ring lateral raises, ring face pulls, ring ab rollouts...)

I've been off of soda for kind of 3 years now, and I realized I don't eat anything with much sugar anyway. I just tried sipping a little bit of coke and took a bite out of cake at a birthday and holy shit, it tastes so fucking bad. It's like I can taste the artificial syrup and I almost gagged. What causes this? Will it be like this for everything I haven't consumed for a long while?

there's no definitive answer and it depends on how much fat you're carrying, what you want to look like, and what your priorities are. i'd eat at a small calorific deficit until you reach your target bf% and then lean bulk/recomp/lean bulk/etc.—but i find cutting to be pretty unpleasant

some people agree with me (youtube.com/watch?v=GIX-RyorgkQ), others favour larger swings. it's your choice; there's not much in the way of real science, here

R8 my wo

I'm doing reverse pyramid training, plus extra stuff for extra volume. I'm trying to plan my accessories for my squat and deadlift days. I was thinking:

Squat - RPT style
RDLs or hyperextensions 4x8/5x10
arms/misc shit

DL - RPT style
Front Squat or Leg Press 4x8
arms/misc shit

I think for my squat day, the RDL is likely better as it's a compound, but what about my deadlift day? I really like hypers and should probably do them, but I don't know where to put them.

I'm new at lifting. If I'm not supposed to ohp in the squat rack, where do I do this?

you became acclimated to large amounts of sugar and your senses have since recalibrated themselves. (if you've ever baked a typical cake, you'd know how much sugar goes into it.) people experience the same thing with fatty foods: when i was a teenager, i used to eat KFC regularly, and then i stopped; i'm now in my late-twenties had the urge for some a few months ago. the oiliness and fattiness were totally disgusting and it was physically hard to digest. vegetarians often report that they find meat hard to digest after a few years of not eating it

this doesn't hold for all foods, mind. if you stopped eating bread for a few years and came back to it, it'd be fine. i'm not sure exactly what the limits of the phenomenon are

Going to the gym for the first time tomorrow.
Any tips ?

It seriously fucked with my brain when it happened. It's definitely a good thing though, and what you say makes sense. Thanks.

my gym only has squat racks so it's acceptable. your gym will have what looks like half of a squat rack, do ohp there.

Thank you!

Related to health rather than fitness, but has anyone had problems with dry skin at all? My scalp has been so dry it is literally keeping me awake at night itching and bleeding, nothing the doctor has given me works so has anyone had any success with natural remedies?

it's disconcerting, but the implications are even more so: the majority of people are happily eating and drinking this junk without even sensing how awful it is for them. the same applies to sleep patterns, being sedentary, and much else—people harm their health and their happiness and don't even realise they're doing it

I swear there used to be a routine general? Regardless are there any bodyweight routines you guys could recommend for somebody with 0 equipment?

In regards to weight loss how much faster could a person lose weight if they did both cardio and diet or either one by itself.

Not bad for a 1 split, I would probably do squats a bit sooner in A, swap with curls for example. You have a lot of quite useless shit in there as well, you dont always have to do them all. Ab work, forearm work, calves etc. You can just pick one/some of them per day and focus on that a bit more. See if that works for you.

How long does that take you?

pic related has been my routine for a couple months. my DL has gone from 130lbs to 250lbs and now they really fucking suck to do. I absolutely hate them. Also I want to squat more. My question is, would it be okay to cut out all deadlifts and replace with squats? Or is that stupid af?

Anyone have a good 5 day split I can start?

If SL/SS is a meme what the heck should a flabby fat weakling be doing in the gym instead?

you really ought to get a pair of rings (super cheap, easy to hang up, and a lifetime investment), parallel bars, or something—there's no way to work your back unless you can pull your bodyweight. if you do get something like that, you could use reddit's routine reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq

GSLP + accessories > SL/SS. "SS is a meme" is a meme. GOMAD is a meme

I'm not doing GOMAD. I'm on a calorie deficit whilst doing SL, as the sticky states I should lose a bunch of fat / bmi before bulking properly.

""SS is a meme" is a meme" is a meme.

Caveat: I lift (mostly) for strength, just as a fun hobby (I did powerlifting competitions back in college, but not now)

I want to live a long, strong, healthy life. Should I disregard conventional deadlifts and just do hexbar deadlifts since there's less strain on the back? Only thing is you can't put as many plates on (I currently deadlift 5pl8 conventional)

Also hex is kinda in between squat and deadlift as a movement, could hex replace both to keep my shit super simple?

>would it be okay to cut out all deadlifts and replace with squats?
if you did that, you'd be missing out on a lot of development of the posterior chain. what you probably hate about doing deadlifts is the number of reps. you could do something like 5/3/1 for deadlifts (with no deload week), so that (A,2) becomes 5/5/5+, (B,2) becomes 3/3/3+, and (B,3) becomes 5/3/1+. percentages are here: t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

personally, i think his percentages are too low for a non-advanced lifter and you should just do 85% (of your actual estimated 1RM) for the 5s and 90% for the 3s, but you'll figure it out

strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

it's up to you, but i would say: yes, either trap-bar or sumo deadlifts. there are trap bars out there (like Rogue's) that'll take far more than 5(iron)pl8. you could probably get your gym to buy one

Thank you for the thoughtful response. It is listed in no particular order. I do compounds first: Press, Squat, Back, and Chin/Dips. Then after that I do the accessories in order of importance to me. Calves are crucial.

that is: yeah, you could disregard conventional deadlifts in favour of trap-bar deadlifts. i should've added that trap-bar deadlifts are a lot closer to a deadlift than they are to a squat, so you should probably still train both a deadlift variant and a squat variant

>How long
1-2 hrs

best whey protein? doesnt matter the price, just the quality and taste

shoo shoo shills

*(B,1) becomes 3/3/3+

Yeah you're right, dropping deadlifts is stupid. It isn't the reps I hate, it's just the feeling of using a lot of weight. (Again I know 250lbs is nothing to write home about but it's way, way more than my lanky ass ever thought I'd do) The bar tears up my calluses and if I do even 1 crappy rep, my back suffers for the next 2 days. I'm not aspiring to be a powerlifter so maybe I'll just drop the weight a little

Also AcBcAxx and switch. not sure if that needed to be said. c = cardio day, 30 min run

ON Gold Standard - Chocolate

if you're tearing callouses, you should manage them with a pumice stone; they're dirt cheap and very effective. if you're fucking your back up with the occasional deadlift with poor form, consider switching to a sumo stance or to trap-bar deadlifts. they're a lot less sensitive to deviations in form

What percent of my diet should be fat ? (For maintenance)

Will do both, thanks. Do those alternative deadlifts use the same or less weight than standard?

100%

But really, I tend to do 40f/40p/20c when I'm in maintain mode.

What's the difference between the trap bar and straight bar for deadlifts and is one better?

almost everyone finds that they can pull a little more with a trap bar. as for sumo vs conventional: this depends on your leverages and your technique; you'd have to relearn how to deadlift. i'd recommend the trap bar as the technique is easier and you won't be taking any steps backwards

see strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/

What kind of lifts should I do if I want to be Veeky Forums enough to revolt against the establishment?

What is that? It looks pretty good, mate

What are your lifts at?