What did non-westerners think about european full body plate armor?

what did non-westerners think about european full body plate armor?

master race

Demons
Anyone know the anime about the curator in the service of Oda Nobunaga and nobunaga gets a new costume every episode one is a full face mask with glasses

By that point full body armor was becoming nearly useless so not much.

neat

>useless
Sorry? Full plate was great and could still repel most musket shots it was the costs of full plate that turned it off

>armour string down the middle
Why did the orient have armour like this, just chop it with a pole arm then stab the belly lmao

The Japanese and the Chinese have pretty much mixed reactions to it. By and large they just seem to be mildly impressed. European firearms and cannon impressed them more than armor.

The Japanese for example just imported breastplates and helmets, never the full set.

The Chinese fought Europeans in the 1500s and 1600s and came out on top every time, which probably colored their impressions on anything Europeans used at the time. They encountered a fully plate armored individuals in battle only a few occasions: notedly in Shancaowan, where a brave Portuguese Captain and the only man in the battle in full plate, managed to repel Chinese boarders until he was shot by a cannon. And in Ming Remnants' invasion of Formosa, where some of the surrendering commanders were in plate.

In addition Europeans in SEAsia - notably in the Philippines- used very few pieces of full plate body armor, usually just by a few commanders and the governor-general, that by and large the Chinese just thought it was an expensive curio worn by aristocrats. By the 1600s, they thought it was an expensive curio made useless by cannon and musket.

Pic somewhat related, a Qing Period made-for-export Porcelain set (to the Philippines) depicting scenes from Don Quixote. And a Chinese artist's take on plate armor.

Iparhan, Qianlong's favorite Uyghur concubine, in European plate. Painted by Jesuit Painters in Qianlong's court (18th Century).

Really, it was just seen as a foreign curiosity.

I think it would've left a deeper impression if it was seen and experienced prior to effective gunpowder weapons.

I'm absolutely ashamed by how little I know about the Spanish and Portuguese era of glory. These fuckers went everywhere, did a whole lot of stuff and yet I know so little.

I should make a thread one day for good Veeky Forums about them.

Also unlike after them it seems they both rekt shit based on actual fighting without a big technological edge.

It didnt do much for them at Mohács or Varna

Effective gunpowder weapons and full plate were and full plate came about at around the same time in Europe and Asia had cannon and rockets before that.

>Also unlike after them it seems they both rekt shit based on actual fighting without a big technological edge
They had a large technological advantage

good question, I guess they just overtied it so if you cut 1 it will still hold

>Also unlike after them it seems they both rekt shit based on actual fighting without a big technological edge.
Most of Spic conquests were made in areas where they held huge technological advantage.

It wasn't the case in Spic adventures in Asia at all, really.

Ottomans seem to largely don't give a fuck about western plate armor. Even if they could afford to hire western armorers or buy plate armor.

As with what user said about Japs and Chinese, European firearms interested Ottomans more than their armor.

Heck, Ottomans even made contributions to European armor instead (i.e. the Zischagge Helmet).

I once heard it said that the Ottomans noted how difficult knights were to kill in 1453 during the siege of Istanbul. Was it true?

Full plate was certainly anything but useless, but it was becoming a niche thing for high class individuals quickly. The impact of mass produced munition grade plate on general warfare was far more important than that of expensive full plate.

>They had a large technological advantage

This, at the very least there ships were more advanced than the east Asians and they were pretty much superior in all respects everywhere else

the Portuguese ships were much better than any other ship in the world at the time if that counts as technological edge

The Japanese and Filipinos loved it, and imported a ton. The metallurgy and construction was beyond anything they could produce domestically at the time. The Japanese called Namban.

Namban dump.

FPBP

>Qing Period made-for-export Porcelain set (to the Philippines) depicting scenes from Don Quixote

Didn't mean to quote. I was saving the info on the plate.

Last I have on my phone.

Where did you hear it?

You're the only tripfag I have ever liked.

We don't really have any accounts from Mesoamericans about how they felt about it, but we know that they adapted pretty quickly: In Spanish accounts, they'd note that the Aztecs and such would attempt to knock plate wearers over and stap between the gaps in the armor, they also learned to alter their formations (which were originally organized in wide lines) to be less vulenerable to Calvary charges, and also learned to place stones to counter them as well; and ended up countering firearms via making earthenworks trenches and walls and moving in zig zag patterns.

We don't have any accounts of any Aztecs or other states picking up and using steel helmets or breastplates or anythiing, unlike with steel swords, which they did; but we do have accounts from conquistadors noting that many of the conquistadors wearing plate opted to switch over for native armor due to the climate, which is a factor I don't think people consider enough when pondering why these cultures didn't use metal armor and weapons themselves.

This is amazing. Thanks clownbro.

cool stuff.

We don't give a fuck

Which is why you were defeated like the Turkroach subhumans you are.

Muslims (Ottomans, Safavids, Mamluks, Mughals, etc) of that time period (15th to 17th centuries) would have found it largely impractical given the hot climate they live in and the fact that full plate armor would hinder the practice of mounted archery, which was central in Turkic warfare.

Byzantines, along with several other Eastern Orthodox cultures like the Russians, never adopted plate armor like the Western Europeans did so that anecdote is almost certainly false.

They probably thought Gothic armor was faggotry like most people still do today all over the world.

>and imported a ton
In Japan's case, the importation of western armor is hugely overstated
Samurai Armor volume I: the Japanese cuirass by Trevor Absolon states that most nanban-do is actually wasei nanban-do, western-style armor made in Japan.
Actual nanban-do were incredibly uncommon and even they mostly only showed up in Japan by the time the sengoku period had pretty much ended.

>The metallurgy and construction was beyond anything they could produce domestically at the time.
Do you have a source for that?

There were many Italian mercenaries in Constantinople in that battle

Portuguese gunpowder, armoury and naval techs were the best in the world, hence we see many ludicrous battle logs about few hundred portuguese and a couple of carracks beating thousands of enemies throughout the Indian ocean.
They were also highly skilled in close combat though, every sailor had to count for a lot since Portugal only had a population of 1 million by then.
Also having people like the military genius Afonso de Albuquerque that established the empire in the indian ocean. To understand the mindset of this guy just know that he wanted to send a crusade together with Abyssinian Christians ( modern ethiopia) and attack the muslim world from the south (the idiot Pope didnt let him), he also wanted to diverge the course of the Nile to destroy that entire region and steal the body of Muhammad and hold the whole muslim world ransom. His success caused envy, even to the king, so he was set aside unfortunately.
Then we have all sorts of battle testimonials like a soldier being out of bullets who then broke his own teeth to use in the musket, those guys were on a masculinity level we cant even comprehend nowadays.
The deadly "portuguese man o' war" jellyfish got that name in homage to the fierceness of portuguese sailor soldiers.

SUPERIOR SOUTHERN BARBARIAN STEEL
FOLDED A THOUSAND TIMES

I especially love those showing the cuirass protected bushi from multiple gunshots from the then available firearms, like:

“let me take out my mace”
Also full body metal armor was'nt specific to Europe.

>defeated
Big if true

If it were not the case you wouldn't have to swarm Europe as beggars but you'd be ruling the continent.

Pro-tip: that's not Gothic armour.

>Veeky Forums in charge of knowing about history

>First colonial power thrown out in Asia.
Lmao.

lmaoing my ass off

>Empire survives existential crisis after crisis from shear luck and mountains of flesh
>Thinks he's some kind of ancient world god among men
Ya, nah

Were there even knights in constantinople during the siege? I thought by that time it was basically a shadow of its former self and had a tiny garrison with a leader who didnt really care what happened to it.