FASTING THREAD

Post your fasting stories and tips.

>Be me
>Fast for 6 days
>Start at 81kg
>Finish at 76kg

Essentially you fast (NO FOOD) for X amount of days, only having water and supplements.
Typically 5-7 days.
Obviously you drink a fuck ton of water to stave off the hunger, but after about 2 days, the hunger signals start to go away.
What you will essentially be doing to your body is switching it to a state of ketosis, which means that your body will start to utilize fat. Imagine your body taking a meal from itself each day - kinda sounds a bit weird aye? But it does work.
As you are probably thinking about at this point "am I going to loose muscle or my gains?", my completely biased n=1 response would be, no muscle lost visually, strength was maintained, I guess you could reason that you would loose proportionally more fat than muscle, so that its not noticable, but I seriously think I didnt loose much muscle when I did the fast for 6 days, and went from 81kg to 76kg...
Yep theres such a thing as water weight (which probably includes everything from whether you have taken a dump, or pissed etc), but for me this was about 1kg or so, such that after about 3 days after the fast I was 77kg. Im still this weight 4 weeks out.
Will you put the weight back on quickly? In my case no, but I plan on fasting again in a while to go to a target weight of 72kg, in which case I will be shredded.
Expect to loose around 0.5kg to 1kg a day.

Things you need:
Water
Electrolytes (specifically a source of potassium, sodium and magnesium) - I get these by drinking one of those artificially sweetened sports drinks, be it powerade, gatorade or loaded - whatever is in your local city.
Probably also need a doctor - assessing things like baseline urea and electrolytes on a blood test, the major concern with fasting for prolonged periods is electrolyte abnormalities mainly with potassium - as you will be supplementing these it should be too much of an issue.

Other urls found in this thread:

intensivedietarymanagement.com/
intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-exercise-fasting-23/
intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Or you just do intermittent fasting and dont become a total dyel while losing fat

That shit is extreme, i just fasted 16 hours a day and had a dirty breakfast+1 meal all in and went from 85kg to 70 in 2 month without any strength changes

Did you just say you drink Gatorade while fasting? I sure fuxking hope not.
That's doesn't happen moron read up on the subject before replying.

I did a 7 day fast and somehow ended up with a kidney infection. I'm assuming it was something to do with tap water or something but ever since I've been afraid to fast again.

>gatorade

That isn't fasting, retard. Consuming a shit load of simple carbs is going to knock you out of a fasted state immediately. You would be better of eating an avocado, bacon, butter, etc. You aren't fasting.

sugarfree sir

Am wrapping up Day 1 of my second 5-day fast.

He said "artificially sweetened sports drinks"
I dont know how you conflate that with drinks that actually have carbs in them.
2/10 at best
What OP is trying to say is to supplement electrolytes, so your body doesnt become deficient while fasting, and the easiest way to do that is drink the SUGARFREE sports drinks, read the back label and look for sodium and potassium.

Nice work dude! what results you had? Ive just recently come off a 12 day fast, went from 102kg to 95kg

I'm fasting for one day, just having a carrot cantaloupe smoothie at lunch, tomorrow then starting 20:5 IF on Monday. Can't wait boys.

Graduation from IF 16:8

>He said "artificially sweetened sports drinks"
>"artificially sweetened sports drinks"
Are you fucking stupid? Artificial doesnt mean calorie free. Coca cola is artificially sweetened you complete idiot.

6 kJ per can for a total of 1.43403 calories per can.

Dropped 20 or so pounds in 5 days. I was 246 when I started the first one. Trying to get to 190. Currently at 210.

Doesn't necesarily mean, but yeah in some cases "artificial" means they used aspartame or the like.

Listen to me you nigger. Im not saying the sugar free isnt ok, im trying to explain artifial doesnt equal sugar free. Tahts all.
Ok but in 99% it doesnt. Almost anything in a fucking plastic package has "artificial flavors". Say calorie free if thats what Op means.

I'm just pointing out you're arguing over 1.43403 calories.

At some point you gotta take stock of your life and think

> Is it really worth it to argue over the difference between 0 - 1.43403 calories on an anonymous fitness forum?

HHhahaha well said!

No im not you idiot. A regular gatorade, aka an artificial sweetened one, is hundreds of calories.
HAHAHAAH!
no it wasnt faggot learn to read

Any drink under 40 calories doesn't break your fast. A cup of black coffee has a few calories from the oils on the coffee beans. Drinking G2 literally won't break your fast but might give you aspergers if you're not careful.

OP here
Thanks for pointing out my little mistake, yeah i meant zero calorie/sugarfree/whatever the correct term is. If theres like less than 20 calories i'll let you off the hook!
Stand strong buddy!

It's time to stop

This is not true, this is called damage control by a moron. Some sugar free sweeteners spike insulin very hard. read up before posting.
Word. If it works for you tahts fine but youre better off getting electrolyte other ways.

How should i get them

Well you can just drink salt/sodium. Just put a tsp with some water and drink ti or put some under your tongue, some say ti absorbs better. Same for potassium you can but Nusalt which is like half potassium. For magnesium just take some citrate powder or take a magnesium salt soak. It absorbs through skin. If you havent done much research dude head over to
intensivedietarymanagement.com/
massive amount of good articles about it.

Carry on then. I just didn't want people to fuck up their fasts. Not trying to derail your thread.

Longest I've fasted is 72 hours. That was a while ago when I was used to getting a carb fix every few hours, so it was quite difficult for me. I've been intermittent fasting for a while now and would like to try a multi-day fast again.

oops, didn't sage by the way. just forgot to clear the name field from a previous sage.

What do you do in that timeframe? Any lifting or cardio?

why did you reply as if you were

No worries man, keep striving for those goals man! we're all gonna make it!

Heres some more info I gave someone else in another thread

Yep your metabolic rate will go down for sure while you are on the fast, but its not matched by any amount of food going in, so its always going to have to burn endogenous sources of energy. I got a bit more colder than normal (its winter where I am). I just made sure to have a heater going and exercised every day. Obviously once you start reintroducing food again, your MR will go up.

I workout during the fast every single day
Funny thing is, my energy levels skyrocketed on day 3 onwards, this was probably because of the body becoming adapted to breaking down fat and using it as a fuel source (for which there is plenty on your body).

I would limit willingly the weight I used though while on a fast, just because I didnt want to necessarily break down the muscle by having too much tension, so instead of doing 80kg bench press, I kept it at 60kg etc. As you arent eating any protein - theres nothing to gain muscle from.

Most of the days before the gym session I would have a sugarfree energy drink or black coffee for some caffeine. Maybe one other black coffee at another stage in the day to pick me up.

My impression and from reading others who have done a fast, is that it gets easier to stick to the fast after the 2 day mark, because your body becomes adapted too it. Easier in the sense that you will get less hunger pains etc.

If you have ever done IF, then its a good segway into a fast, because its that mental willpower to get over that first day or 2 of fasting that counts, after that its what you want to make of it.

Because fuck you, pin dick. That's why.

>Yep your metabolic rate will go down for sure while you are on the fast
wrong
Metabolic rate goes up not down. Actually do some research.
>As you arent eating any protein - theres nothing to gain muscle from
wrong
HGH goes through the roof, its fine to lift normally.

Thank you for the clarification.
When we lift in the normal setting, isnt it that there is myofibrilar injury and then repair that is the basis of working out? So if you work out and cause injury to the muscle, how will it repair in protein depleted state?

I completely water fasted for 28 days while I was at Job Corps in San Francisco. I lost roughly 30 pounds. I was able to go to school everyday and work the entire time but had low energy toward the end.. I used to almost pass out every time I stood up as well. It was a good experience overall someday I may try to fast again. I'd like to do 40 days.

i have a 300 cal carb meal before working out a 200 cal intra workout drink and a 100 cal meal after and im down 17 pounds and some of my lifts have gone up, it works great.

Ill admit im no phd. But people with phds say its a good idea to keep lifting. Guessing the HGH and IGF1 levels come into play somehow plus during autophagy most claims say it breaks down lose skin for protein.
intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-exercise-fasting-23/
intensivedietarymanagement.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/
Curious if you supplemented with electrolytes?

*1000 cal after

Does there exist an IF app to help me with the times?

semantics, 1 calorie work change shit

I've gone single days fasting before, but how do I better prep the day before a fast? Do I stuff myself at 11:50 PM or what?

Thanks for the tips.

Is there any negative to takin adderall on the fast? It kills my hunger easy

Someone needs to screen cap that.
It pretty much just sums up Veeky Forums on a whole

Moron read the thread.
Other moron, read the thread. Artificial doesnt mean sugar free you idiots. Coca cola is artifically sweetened. OP even clarified

Other moron here. I honestly don't care what you're arguing about, I'm just saying that there is humour in that reply being that it can be applied to a lot of the culture on this board.
Christ you might actually be autistic

I did not supplement with any electrolytes. On around the 25th day i went to the doctor and he did a blood test that showed all my electrolyte levels as fine. My levels were all within normal ranges with the exception of protien. My protien levels were actually still in the normal range as but on the low side of normal. He said that my protien level was almost low.

Only negative is you might get addicted and find yourself taking half a gram.

it's a stimulant that has side affects like any other and may interfere with sleep, also the hunger suppressing effects will eventually wear off. just make sure you don't take it before bed and stop if you have high blood pressure, get high blood pressure while on it or have chest pain. It might not be a bad idea to take it at the start of the fast to keep your energy up and suppress hunger until your body adapts and you're 3-4 days in (hunger significantly decreases and energy increases a few days in).

Its not humorous because its 100% wrong. Are you autistic?
Amazing, so what did you consume besides water? Coffee. black im assuming? tea? Multi vitamin?
Any tips? did you chew gum and smoke to distract yourself or anything like that?

someones mad that no one really cares about his autism.

You could stuff yourself but that defeats the entire purpose and will probably make it more difficult to adhere to the fast.

Meaning I stuff myself at 11:50 the night before I fast a whole day.

I only drank water.. about 15 days in I added carbonated water. I didn't do anything to distract myself because after about 3 or 4 days of fasting your hunger generally goes away. I would dream about eating food every night though.. Once you've gone a week without eating
it is easy to keep going..

Awesome stuff man! OP here, im actually a doctor aswell, what you describe is posutural hypotension, best way to get over this for a fast is to take sodium, the mechanism essentially boils down to for every molecule of sodium, theres a molecule of water with it. So if you supplement sodium, you will increase the amount of water in your blood vessels. (Longer explanation is to do with hydrostatic pressure). Even if your blood tests show it within normal limits, the total body sodium levels are lower (because food has heaps), and the blood test shows you sodium in a unit of blood, but as I mentioned before sodium and water go together (so you get an effective 1:1 scale unless its severely dysregulated).

It's hard to TL;DR this, other than to say you should be supplementing sodium, regardless of your blood tests.

Yeah I guess its pretty complex biological stuff. I would recommend not maxing out while fasting though, and keeping to a 60-80% intensity. Then when you come off the fast you can do whatever.

Prepare mentally really is the main thing, its just being able to not cave in.

Drink whenever you feel super hungry and realise that when u feel hungry, the feeling should pass after 10-15 minutes.

If you really want to make the smoothest transition into a fast then go ketogenic diet and do IF hahha, that would essentially mean your body is already good at utilizing fat, and that you are used to not having food in your body for prolonged periods.

TL;DR: Drink heaps of water during the fast to keep hunger at bay, and do IF with a low carb/keto diet.

Your body does the same thing with IF. It runs on expectation.

I've done a lot of IF as well. I only ate after 5pm for the better part of a year skipping breakfast and lunch.. unfortunately I believe the 28 day fast I did broke something in my body and now I develop a rash whenever I go into full blown ketosis

Thanks so much

13th day of eating one meal every 48 hours
this meal is ~1800 calories and it is mcdonalds food only
i lost only 3.5 kg, maybe i should try mono-fruit diet some time, thinking about tomato diet

cannot wait for this fucking fad to be over

>t. Dyel

Ofc there is nothing to lose if you dont have anything

Im into my 4th day and sometimes i feel like il pass out or puke should i continue?

It does break your fast. You'll have enzyme activity going all over the place as soon as you put something like that into your body. Which is not fasting.

>maybe i should try mono-fruit diet some time, thinking about tomato diet

Don't do that, you fucking idiot.

fasting is a meme.

I did it for months. you can have breakfast if you want and still lose weight.

doing long fasts causes some people to binge.

Not the point. Different things work for different people. What matters is only what works for you, despite what the most scientifically sound way to lose weight is
If someone hates keto and cheats on his diet all the time, then its not for him. You need to find out for yourself what kind of eating your comfortable with
Try out different things, stick with what works for you. If something doesnt work, stop doing it and move on.

To those in the thread who have done intermittent fasting, is it better to start your 8 hour eating period when you wake up or halfway into the day?

I would do halfway into the day, I find morning hunger is easily manageable for some reason.

I dont eat breakfast or lunch and start around 3pm usually. On non-lifting days sometimes as late as 6pm, but it really depends on my day.
I dont count hours, I eat with friends when we go out etc. Its more about certain principles than following a very strict, down to every hour-plan

Generally speaking, I dont let my social life be come compromised. The other day my roommate baked a very buttery chocolate cake in the middle of the night, way past my feasting period. Its about being consistent in the long run and if little things help you not lose your mind and stay on course, then do that.
Being super harsh and doing something you dont enjoy is a surefire way to relapse and stop following your dietary routine altogether
that being said, Ive also never been fat nor skinny, so it might be different for you

you guys are making me want to try this. the problem is, i'm affected by my state of hunger. i'm surprising myself by doing well eating 1500~ calories per day but i imagine fasting would destroy my mental state. how did it affect your behaviour/mood?

Ive dont it for half a year now. A friend visited for a few days and did IF, he said I should try it and see how I feel. So I did. No autistic reading and hoarding studies, just tried out what happened. I still ate as much as I did before, just in that time frame.
Within a week I got used to it. On lifting days I eat 3000cal, on non-lifting days 2000cal.
Didnt affect my mood at all, but I guess IF + high caloric deficit is a bit too much. Ease into it, its about being consistent moreso than trying to lose weight as much as possible in a short period of time. I guess my advice would be to not obsess over huge short term losses, but try to find a way you eat healthy that still makes you happy. Its about consistency more than anything. In half a year, the 1000cals you didnt eat that one day you nearly lost your mind from hunger pangs arent going to matter at all.

If you want to lose weight reeeeally badly, nobody is stopping you from doing 22h fasts, keto, fasted cardio and fasted workouts. You might hate it so much that you'll just give up, though.

thanks user. i'll lurk more and find out more before i jump into it

Honestly, just try it out. All you do is feed into your confirmation bias as to why its good/bad. Its less about the science behind and whether its a theoretically sound way to lose weight, but more about how you as an individual react to it.

For some its perfect, others hate it. You'll never know what applies to you unless you dont try it out. You can read as much as you want, but at some point you just gotta try it out.
If you do, ease into it. Good luck

bamp