Veeky Forums guide to choosing a martial art - ultimate edition

theorycrafters feel free to spout garbage. been training BJJ since 2003, boxing since 2008. did kung for for 2 years as a teenager, capoeira for a year, and some san shou concurrently with the kung fu. this here is the definitive guide , so enjoy!

Other urls found in this thread:

evolution-bjj.com/class-info/try-one-sambo-classes-ega/
krongraciejiujitsu.com/location/
youtube.com/watch?v=40CA9CStpqg
allouttabubblegum.com/main/?p=21
thegriphouse.co.uk/
alliancebjj.ca/dragan-brazilian-jiu-jitsu/
youtube.com/watch?v=H9W4Khn078w
youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ty my man

does this gym look like a mcdojo?

they teach sambo but I don't wanna be tricked into doing some gimmicky shit

evolution-bjj.com/class-info/try-one-sambo-classes-ega/

OP here

Vlad Koulikov is legit.

Sambo and Combat Sambo are not the same thing. Combat sambo resembles MMA to some extent. That being said, I would ABSOLUTELY recommend this gym, no question.

Tier 1: MMA
Tier 2:Boxing/jiujistu(Sambo or Judo in Europe)kickboxing/Muay Thai/
Tier 3: Taekwondo, Karate, americucks pegging each other and calling it a sport
Meme Tier: The rest

Not bad but TKD is a joke, you've neglected to mention Krav Maga ( under serious instructors certified by Israeli and with full-contact sparring and grappling).

Also, "MMA" classes are mostly BS. mediocre guys with no credentials teaching blue belt level BJJ and below amateur striking skills.
Take MMA lessons at real MMA gyms,like Renzo, Jackson-Wink, ATT, Quest (still open?), Couture, etc.

>krav maga

i'm in oc, california. got any recs for me out here?

don't mind being a beginner, as long as everything i do is legit from the start

i fixed your chart

I'm a second degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, I'd recommend it.
Any questions?

>he thinks "MMA" is a martial art, like judo or BJJ

krongraciejiujitsu.com/location/
depends on where in oc you are

I've never seen Zé Radiola teach strikes. A few people used to train with open hand slaps but that stopped when someone blew their eardrum. Also Zé isn't exactly oldschool, he was always a staunch GB/IBJJF line tower and training is always done to IBJJF rules, point counting, and even round times. He also never fought vale tudo despite being called out multiple times.

If you want to learn about fighting with BJJ to learn with someone who fought vale tudo with it: Royce, Rickson, Sperry, Bustamante, anyone from that early one-dimensional vale tudo era.

What about aikido? Doesn't that have a heavy self-defense focus?

id say muay thai is pretty good where it stands, probably on par with boxing or better depending if youre smart enough to find someone worth their salt. Ive done escrima for probably half a year and although its like wing chun where it works best against other people who know wing chun, id say that i have a good advantage against the layman who wields a stick or whatever like, well, a layman

i have no idea why that picture came out so shitty

Testerino

so if I wrestled from ages 9-18 and I want to become an MMA fighter what skill should I learn next?

I go to a uni so there's lots of these clubs so I have most of the options

if you want to be successful, learn BJJ and boxing or kickboxing. if you havent wrestled in a long time try to get back into it and hone your skills; believe me, wrestling is probably one of the best tools an MMA fighter can have.

I fixed your shitty guide.

MMA practitioner here since the age of sixteen.
Half don't listen to this guy at all and half do listen. Wrestling is under-rated in the MMA world as a lot of people value BJJ more but wrestling is making a big comeback.
Wrestling is your greatest asset. What you need to learn is striking. Do NOT practice boxing, boxing is fucking useless. Every boxer that ever tried MMA got his ass kicked. You need to either choose muay thai or kickboxing. Also invest in at least some basic bjj. It's best if you can specifically join an MMA club but if you can't right now focus on learning striking and keep improving your wrestling.

>every boxer whos tried mma got his ass kicked
conor mcgregor and holly holm would like a word with you, ronda.

7 months in muay thai
plan in taking classes for two years, then moving to bjj
then, 2 yrs after, judo

^leave boxing
^train in muay thai
^lemeayeowe I'm a boxer
^implying
:DDDDDDDDDDDD foni

I'm not interested in doing martial arts to win street fights, but I definitely want to pick one up.
I want to do one for a sport, probably a grappling based martial art, because I think that seems like the most fun and sustainable to do for a sport.
I have a Judo club at my university that I have looked at, but there are also a couple of places to do BJJ nearby.
What would be the best? Is there anything else I should consider?
Also I'm a poor student so I dont really want to commit to one with the goal of just trying it out.

>MMA

Are you fucking retarded?

Good list I can agree with. Made me google judo leg techniques and I thought it was pretty cool

Martial arts are gay, all you need to win fights is natty warrior spirit

You mentioned that you're poor so I'd definitely check out judo. BJJ will cost much more and focus only on ground work. Keep in mind that judo is hard on your body though.

And your Katana

*Tips Fedora*

youtube.com/watch?v=40CA9CStpqg

These are the techniques that Judo banned. Many of them are extremely high percentage.
The art's been castrated

Learn Sambo instead.

I did put Sambo above Judo on my original image at the top of this page

going tk try 3 bjj and 2 mma classes a week.
lifting on bjj days.

hows that sound?

having my first bout in boxing soon Veeky Forums wish me luck

Not quite as castrated as you may think, competent Judoka are really quick to first adapt to, then adopt, leg attacks. Adapting starts to become noticeable after attacking their legs 2-3 times. Properly incorporating leg grabs into their game is 2-3 months, after that you're facing a veritable pain in the ass to take down.

I love it.

Try just bjj first and get your ass kicked, then understand that you'll get your ass kicked for the next few months, then decide if you want to do both bjj and mma.

Most guys quit bjj cos they can't deal with the fact they gotta suck long n hard before getting less sucks.

Then they rather go hit bags cos it makes them feel good.

I guess I'm exclusively a ranged fighter

ive done bjj for 2 months then stopped a while. i dont mind losing its the rumble I enjoy

Why'd you stop senpai

took a week off for a swollen face after a misplaced slap, then excuses piled up which turned it into a few months off and I honestly want a more aggressive sport (free wrestling) but bjj is whats available in my country so ill bow my head and go back

>cant handle getting slapped
>wants a more agressive sport

if i dont force myself to take the pain ill never amount to shit.
at was more a palm to nose puch

>Krav in A tier
heem yourself

wow, there sure are some pussy's are on Veeky Forums

yep

Should i start training boxing if im 19 already ? I've been lifting for half a year and i have a competent boxing gym 10 minutes away from home. Can any "late starter" boxers share their experiences ?

pretty spot on except for Krav Maga, that shit is almost as stupid as Wing Chun

not a late starter, but there shouldn't be any problems starting from a later age, hell, anthony joshua started boxing when he was 18

There's a boxing gym near campus where I live. I've been thinking about training boxing for a while now but I don't have the money.
Any anons familiar with boxing gyms, do you think the owner would be nice enough to let me work there by cleaning the bathroom or something at the end of the day as payment to train? The movies always portray them as like supportive places, but part of me thinks they'd be like fuck you I just want your money

its worth asking but very doubtful, if you cant just save up for it user, starting boxing was one of my best decisions so its definitely worth trying

also don't be intimidated, every boxing gym i have ever been to has had an extremely friendly environment which was very unexpected when i first started

All my money is going towards school and the wife right now. Maybe after I graduate and start making money I'll do it. I'll try asking though, it wouldn't hurt

>and the wife
lmfao

>has a wife
>thinks he'll make it in boxing
KEEEEEEK, you simply wont have the time to spend to get proper good, and if you do spend that time she will try to stop and effectively gains goblin you from boxing, saying she doesnt want you to get hurt and all that shit. All the best fighters in the world were single and alone during their important years of training.

>still studying
>is already married
wew lad

Doesn't mean he can still, box and have a good time. Sure, he won't be winning big prizes, but then again, neither is 99% of those who box.

I have done martial arts and I know how shitty instructional videos are but I want to do capoeria for fun. Can it be practiced alone or are there any instructionals for getting into it that are worth it?

It seems like fun and not to hard on the body.

Good luck and stay calm. Enjoy yourself buddeh

What's D and F tier? I want to laugh at some shit.

Combat sambo seems bad ass

F tier is weightlifting

Tai chi would be F-tier

>Not doing tai chi after a hard they of weightlifting and fapping
>Making it

Aikido is a way of understanding weight and movement

It isn't going to teach you to fight someone

allouttabubblegum.com/main/?p=21

Steven Seagal has killed over 700 people.

>When you kick a "boxer" and he starts complaining
Every time

I wanna start fighting again but don't wanna skip legs, a complete package would be
>Boxing
>BJJ
what else?
TKD is nice if you find someone who trains with respect to winning real fights, but GL with that.
>McDojo eek

>Acid attacks
>Not in ranged
wew lad

What you mean homie?
Lifting is ideal for "I want a head start in everything".

Yoga
Fuckin fart a man to death after twisting yourself into a pretzel

Just train multiple like an mma fighter there is a reason guys with one specialty cant make it in that environment

all martial arts have strengths and weaknesses

if you want to win like average street/bar fights just train hitting a heavy bag (boxing) and take a jiu jiutsu class 2 times per week

Would Ninjitsu be Z tier?

Capoeira is a social art. Sparring/dancing is done in a circle while all the students sing, clap and play instruments. If you remove the social element, capoeira isn't much more than tricking.
Some places have the playfight element also, where you actively try to trip the opponent or show you could strike them but most of the time it really is just a group demonstration thing.

So , I mean, you can learn the moves in your backyard, sure, but that's not the experience that capoeira is about.

OP here, that would be:

Tai Chi

Any classic kung fu, animal style, all that trash

Ninjitsu, there are no words for how much garbage this is

Aikido has some decent wrist locks for self-defense, but most of it is garbage

I was looking at BJJ classes at
thegriphouse.co.uk/

Not sure if they'll be the real deal, I don't see any strikes, but I may give it a go, that or muay thai

I'm 28 and out of shape. I never did sports as a kid.

Am I too old to start learning BJJ? Should I take a year to get as fit as possible (weightlifting, HIIT) and then try?

Also, is this a good gym?

alliancebjj.ca/dragan-brazilian-jiu-jitsu/

>In Kitchener / Waterloo Alliance is represented by Dragan Brazilian Jiu-jitsu with the “Mad Scientist” of grappling, head instructor, Dragan Konjevic, and assistant instructor, Eric Yu.

>Sept. 2007, Dragan receives black belt from Alliance BJJ head instructor Romero Jacare Cavalcanti

>Romero Cavalcanti (born October 22, 1952), nicknamed Jacaré, is a practitioner of Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and the founder-head coach of the prestigious Alliance Jiu-Jitsu Team. He is one of the six people to have been promoted to Black Belt by the famous Rolls Gracie prior to Gracie's death in a hang gliding accident

FEES
*New members are required to sign-up for a 3- or 6-month membership.

3 Months Unlimited = $270

6 Months Unlimited = $480

1 class — $20

Young Grapplers = $75/Month, $210/3 Months

*Students’ and Law Enforcement discounts available*

Private lessons for Alliance members are $60/hour

Non-Alliance members pay $85/hour for private lessons.

Sounds like a pretty decent price.

lol

youtube.com/watch?v=H9W4Khn078w

wow 3 months for 270, my boxing gym is 550$ for 3 months. but i do live in a huge city

no your not too old for BJJ. you can expect people aged 20-50 training with you who have never it before and are more out of shape then you.

I just started boxing less then 3 months ago without being fit for 5 years and i've already gained 17 pounds and have a 4 pack. you don't need to do shit. although thats boxing. i don't know if BJJ will get you in shape desu, i thought it was a lot of practice rolling around on the ground. in boxing they incorporate a lot of different drills and exercises along with punching and sparring. i'm not sure how BJJ is.

i'd seriously recommend boxing and stick with it 3-5 days a week 1-2 hours a day and you'll be a complete different person in 3 months.

>you don't need to do shit. although thats boxing

that was an editing error, ignore that

how much calories does a martial art session burn?

I'm skelly and I'm not sure if this would be a good idea

i've heard hitting a bag for one hour will burn around 250 calories.

but if your skelly why are you even on here? any exercise you do will burn calories and you will lose weight without eatting right. i'm skelly too and recently started boxing, have gained 17 pounds, and now have a 4 pack after 3-5 days of hard work a week for 1-2 hours a day. but that was only half of it. the other part was learning to eat more and shop better for myself. but the rewards it's given me has been so worth it.

Go to an actual comp. BJJ can be aggressive as fuck if you make it, especially stand up

You're right, I already have a really hard time hitting my macros though. But if's not that much I'll just eat a cake extra on boxing days.

Did it boost your confidence, the boxing?

I pretty much have to eat every hour or so. Anytime I notice i'm even the slightest bit hungry i'll grab a banana or greek yogurt which i go through 3-4 a day each along with 3 meals.

and yeah it did boost confidence. theres a good feeling knowing that you could fight anybody on the street and probably win no matter what size if they don't have marital art training. everybody is the same from the head up.

first they'll teach you how to throw a jab and cross, and once you pefect that they'll let you spar against someone more experianced where you attack and they defend. then you eventually learn how to parry through mitt work, and block.then you'll do your first defense sparring in something like a jab only contest (where one person jabs for a round, then you, then the other) and basically you work your way up to full practice fights. you spar with people from many different weights and much larger with you so it boosts your confidence and makes you realize you probably hit as hard as they do because it's 80% technique. this all happens in like your first 2 months.

>hehe look at this DYEL i can totally kick his ass
>*huffing and puffing* jesus christ ive only thrown three punches as hard as i can and im already drained... I thought i had the warriors spirit...
>wtf? how did he get me in an armbar so quickly? STOP!!! IT HURTS!!!!!

Is systema the same as combat sambo? It's whats coming up for places near me?

Dude it's alliance.... They're among the elite of BJJ. Marcelo Garcia started there

Also I should mention it's not just the fighting, throughout going to the boxing gym you'll also be doing conditioning which is basically 30 minute nonstop workout swapping abs/quads/cardio. this will make you feel in shape as fuck.

it takes a lot to even last one round in boxing. when i stated after a minute i was huffing and puffing and couldn't imagine doing anymore. conditioning is meant to train you to last more. so while you learn to fight you'll also be in the best shape and feel like you can physically do anything and not get tired.

gl

Thanks!

OP here, here's an amusing video that allows a glimpse on why I absolutely love boxing. It's not just the hardcore conditioning, the simple complexity and how every fighter uses the same tools to fight completely differently, there's also the fact that it fucking works:

youtube.com/watch?v=qSX0PCQXiO4

Now, if I asked a wing chun guy to succesfully block or parry or dodge all incoming blows without countering, he'd be fucked. And so would most bullshit martial arts, kung fus and karates and whatnot.

I really want to learn Boxing and BJJ, but I have no money. Is it at all feasible to teach myself anything about either of these?
I'm in a city with some great gyms for both, but every gym expects $200 a month.

No. One of the worst mistakes you can make is trying to teach yourself a martial art. Youre going to get your ass kicked doing techniques youve only ever tried on still objects (punching bag, grappling dummy, etc) rather than an actual sparring opponent who is trained.

I've heard people have learned bjj in their garages with a partner using youtube.
Is that not possible?

this, when i started boxing my coach said something to me that stuck with me ever since he told me "the best way to learn and be great is to get your ass kicked"

>Kyokushin not practical
My fucking ass. I've seen fighters take a beating that would put down a fucking ox and keep fighting, I've taken bare knuckle punches that felt like they were backed by a freight train and I got to a point where I could put most men down with a single low kick and make them unable to stand on it for a day.

Karate (Kyokushin in particular) has a fucking brutal constant regime of fighting, learning to get hit and fight and explosive strength workouts. A month in and you'll feel like regular punches bounce off you without leaving a mark. It's perfectly viable.

You can learn boxing and BJJ alone in your living room about as well as you can learn to swim alone in your living room

real martial arts require sparring wit resisting opponents and an instructor to correct your technique. sorry man. maybe grab a couple friends and ttry the Gracie academy garage thing? It's a solution for beginners with little money. just pirate that shit

Kyokushin is positively evaluated on my list, but not being able to punch the face is problematic as fuck. I know some TOUGH kyokushin guys. they full contact sparring without head hits means knockouts only come from headkicks and they just beat the shit out of each others' bodies, I recognize it.

But it's just not at the same level as the other martial arts I posted because the full contact sparring lacks strikes to the face and those are pretty fucking important. there's nothing that kyokushin does that kickboxing, muay thai won't do better, that's all.

Bullshit artists. They would get their asses handed to them by a white belt whos learned by actually grappling against a partner whos fighting back, even if they get their ass kicked on the regular

>none of these plebeians rate Pankration
Lmaoing at all of your lives in Latin

Muay Thai is the most complete martial art desu. You're actually learning how to use all of your limbs.

Boxing is good too. Although high-level matches devolve into boxing for points, not for actual fighting.

Is it feasible to train 3 martial arts regularly, and an extra one once a week?

Im thinking of learning Sambo, BJJ, and boxing, with wrestling once a week to be as complete a fighter as i can be.