Veeky Forums

I want to start boxing but I'm really scared of future brain damage

Am i right in doing so or am I a pussy?

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html
jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2645104
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica
npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/01/31/170764982/are-nfl-football-hits-getting-harder-and-more-dangerous
connectsavannah.com/savannah/the-true-force-of-a-boxers-punch/Content?oid=2133328
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

interestingly you pictured a man with no visible brain damage after 49 pro fights

if you box smart you will be fine

>42426091
What is boxing smart ?

>no visible brain damage
You forgot the part where has no brain at all in the first place.

You're smart to consider your future. Boxing is good to learn but I wouldn't really consider getting yourself into real matches unless you find you have a real love for the sport. All it takes is something going wrong to fuck your shit up.

You can do it as a hobby and a way to stay in shape but at that point I ask, what's the point of learning to fight if you're never going to fight?

watch mayweather fight

watch shawn porter fight

one is smart, the other is reckless

>what's the point of learning to fight if you're never going to fight?

In case you have to fight? What kind of stupid question is this?

Ok, ya got me.
But why not guarantee 1-2 fights a year and get paid for your hard work and training?

You need a brain before you can get brain damaged

if you are not going to compete you should not worry about brain damage

Personally, I don't think it's worth an extra few hundred for the possibility of getting my ass handed to me. I mean if you love to fight then more power to you, but for the average guy who just wants to learn to fight I don't think getting yourself in real matches is worth it.

People are all scared of muh brain damage and getting stomped but really if the situation in a real fight gets bad just fucking drop on the floor before you get KO'ed and the fight will be stopped. Its that fucking easy its not like you are locked into a cage/ring until you or your opponent dies

>paid
You have to be a very good fighter to get paid. Takes talent and more than just 2-3 years of training. Doesn't seem to be a realistic goal for you.

So why boxing? Lot of action, lots of fun, good cardio and reflexes, brings some mental balance (at least for me) it's manly and a respected hobby, your sons will look up to you because they know you can fight.

And that's understandable but it's not just a few hundred, If you're marketable/likable you can be rolling in sponsors and promotions, sure it's bad in the beginning but if you don't pull a Mike Tyson you can walk outta the sport a rich cunt

>its not like you are locked into a cage/ring until you or your opponent dies
Pussy

You're not going to get brain damage unless you wind up competing, even then it's a risk not a certainty.

I have fought at a high level. Last time my IQ was tested it was 135. I feel dumb as shit now and I struggle to learn things and my memory is fucked.

Casual interest in the sport wont do anything, sparring once in a while or even having a couple of amateur fights wont do anything.

>t.Qualified cabbage

Post proof

kek

You have to be careful when sparring. Whenever you take a big hit to the head it's recommended to stop sparring immediately and not take any more hits. Also staying hydrated lowers the risk.

>thinking hell actually use boxing in a street fight
ya fuckin with me OP?

How big are you? If you're a huge guy, you might end up sparring /fighting other huge guys, and taking a lot of huge shots to the noggin without going down, which isn't going to lead to anything good.

Semi relevant question for Veeky Forums. If I did some heavy bag punching as cardio on days in between lifts would that give my arms enough time to recover or would I be over training them?

>"last time my IQ was tested"
percentile is more important than the number. Pretending to have a high IQ and not know this.

>Heavy bag
>Cardio
Just shadow box

op here

so all in all, take up boxing and if I'm not competing I should be okay? I have bad memory already from binge drinking every weekend (22 y/o) so I'll probably get even worse

Well, first stop binge drinking or you'll just be torturing yourself

>boxing has no relevance in a street fight
You get to learn to properly throw punches, feel what it's liked to get punched, practice footwork and maneuvering, etc. That gives you a step up from your average joe who's just going to be throwing haymakers

>if you box smart you will be fine.

Wrong. Severe brain damage can arise even years after the trauma was first sustained. This was detailed in a recent article by the NY Times, reporting on a paper published by The Journal of the American Medical Association.

"A neuropathologist has examined the brains of 111 N.F.L. players — and 110 were found to have C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated blows to the head."

"110 positives remain significant scientific evidence of an N.F.L. player’s risk of developing C.T.E., which can be diagnosed only after death. About 1,300 former players have died since the Boston University research group began examining brains. Even if all of the other 1,200 players had tested negative — which all skeptics agree could not possibly be the case — the minimum C.T.E. prevalence for NFL players would be close to 9 percent, vastly higher than in the general population."

"The N.F.L.’s top health and safety official has acknowledged a link between football and C.T.E."

And that's just football. Imagine being a boxer getting punched in the head thousands of times in a career and the effects that would have on your brain.

TL;DR - OP, don't take up striking sports. Stick with BJJ and keep your brains intact.

Pic related - your brain on boxing.

nytimes.com/interactive/2017/07/25/sports/football/nfl-cte.html
jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2645104
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_traumatic_encephalopathy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dementia_pugilistica

>what is knee to the head
>what is elbow to the head
concussions happen all the time in BJJ

Ok, then buy a gun.

Being punched is nowhere near as bad as butting heads with a 300 lb lineman while you are also 250-300 and both of you are colliding at sprinting speed. I don't doubt that there's some degree of brain damage with boxing but there's no way in hell its as bad as the collisions that football players endure.

>I don't doubt that there's some degree of brain damage with boxing but there's no way in hell its as bad as the collisions that football players endure.

The violence that NFL players take is shocking.

npr.org/sections/health-shots/2013/01/31/170764982/are-nfl-football-hits-getting-harder-and-more-dangerous

>Back in the 1920s, when the NFL was just getting started, the average lineman weighed only about 190 pounds. Now they average 300 pounds.

>That means Hall of Famer Morris "Red" Badgro, who played for the New York Giants in 1930, would lay down quarterbacks with about 970 pounds of force, according to Newton's second law (and a bunch of simplifications).

>In contrast, Baltimore Ravens starting lineman Haloti Ngata weighs 335 pounds and runs the 40-yard dash in just under five seconds. If he sacks Colin Kaepernick on Sunday, he'll unleash about 1,700 pounds of force.

>In other words, getting stopped by Ngata is literally like having nearly a ton of bricks fall on you.

Still, getting rocked by a boxer is no cake walk, either. In fact, it's comparable.

connectsavannah.com/savannah/the-true-force-of-a-boxers-punch/Content?oid=2133328

>A study of 70 boxers found elite-level fighters could punch with an average of 776 pounds of force. Another study of 23 boxers showed elite fighters were able to punch more than twice as hard as novices, the hardest hitter generating almost 1,300 pounds of force.

Ngata is at the top of the scale (in terms of force) in the NFL, generating 1700 pounds of force. The top puncher in the boxing study above generated almost 1300 pounds of force. Either way, your brain is fucked.

you only tend to see it in fighters that fought late into their 40s

james toney, riddick bowe, bernard hopkins and evander holyfield come to mind

or maybe there's another reason for this...

Punches to the head can cause detached retinas, brain hemorrhage, fractured bones, and permanent neurological disorders. Almost 20% of boxers suffer from dementia pugilistica, the consequence of repeated blows to the skull; it's characterized by slurred speech and halting gait. Worse can happen. According to one estimate, boxing killed at least 650 fighters from 1918 through 1997.

would getting rid of helmets help stop cte in football?

Literally how did we survive until now? Greeks and Romans were not all dummies but they fought all the time.

That's why I do martial arts OP, I want to get brain damage and hopefully die as soon as possible
>tfw grill called this an interesting life choice
indeed

then why wouldn't you just kill yourself now? Why wait to become a slobbering mess first?

Incase there is a small chance that I become the next mcgregor desu

>gives CTE data on football
>no evidence whatsoever it also applies to boxing
i can diagnose CTE right there and you probably didnt even do sports

No brain damage as long as you do light sparring and no competition.
And if you do Muay Thai, you have the kicks for free.

This. Getting beaten up is a very humbling and inspiring experience that every man needs to go through.

I appreciate your effort, but this board will have no part in accepting that boxing and other manly tough fighting sports are degenerate af. They'll just call you a SJW so they can go about their lives getting punched in the face for fun.

The intelligent, important members of society stayed away from combat and left that to idiotic neanderthal like soldiers.

>don't take up striking sports. Stick with BJJ and keep your brains intact.

fuck off gracie academy