Veeky Forums do I even need to barbell bench...

Veeky Forums do I even need to barbell bench? I've been lifting for roughly 3 months now and have always struggled with barbell bench, it has barely progressed. It doesnt even work my pecs, I feel it entirely in my shoulders and tris. I have tried any and all grips. I've tried different flares for my elbows and arches in my back. To give a bit of context, I am 6'3" 211 pounds cuttin down cause I used to be obese. Dumbbell bench isolates my pecs so much more, should I even waste my time with barbell bench? I dont care about numbers, I just want to get stronger and develop my chest.

Pic related.
>inb4 "you look like shit"

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/bench-press/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Also forgot to mention that my best recent set was 5 reps at 105 pounds.

3 months isn't really long enough to judge if a lift is working for you (especially since you just started), keep working on your form and maybe try doing some higher reps and more volume

if you're a year in and bench just feels like shit and you really cbf to do it you could substitute some other press for it, also don't expect progress on bench in a calorie deficit

oh yeah and you look like shit

Yeah but my muscles have overall developed even while I am in this deficit. Also, not that this matters but this is what I looked like at 260

if you've been benching for 3 months, and have 0 progression you're doing something wrong, and I don't have enough info to tell you what that is. Only thing I can tell you is, if you're doing it right it DOES work your chest, a lot of chest work outs you don't really feel the pump as much as say, cable flys, but they do work your chest and you will get stronger. There are exercises you can do without, but IMO bench is not one of them, it's one of the best compound exercises, so you should try however you can to get into it.

Ive had a little progression but I really just think that's because my triceps have developed a lot more.

Op here: I dont see how the bench could even work the pecs in the first place. The pec is responsible for moving the arm towards the center of the chest right? How could the range of motion on bench ever allow for that? When I do it, it feels like my arms are just pushing the weight, rather than my arms going towards the center of my chest.

Are you out of your fuckin mind? You need to do 3xAMRAP fork-put downs you fat cunt

Jesus stop trying to look into "db bench feels better" you've been lifting for 3 months, follow a routine and lose the fat you stupid cuck, fuckin' beginners

Hey fucktard read the thread.

I am already cutting and following a routine, I just want to make sure I can build my pecs and maintain them.

>worrying about pecs with that body

mate just go for a jog every day and stop eating whatever fatboy shit you are stuffing down your throat all the time

try to get to 100 pushups 100 situps 100 squats and a 2.5 mile run every day then hit the gym

fatty

>I am already cutting and following a routine, I just want to make sure I can build my pecs and maintain them.

lol shut the fuck up this is the exact problem

literally just forget the word "pecs" from your vocabulary and do some cardio/lifts and stop eating your daily big mac

I don't know how old you are, but if you're over 16 you need to get on testosterone pronto. You look like the venus of willendorf and you have a girls face.

lol nice genetics kid, it's all about HEIGHT, FACE, FRAME. Why even bother when you look like that

Ignore all the shitty advice you've been given so far and watch as many videos as you can on proper form. If you aren't feeling it in your pecs you're doing it wrong. Also try doing rotator cuff training and all the tiny muscles of the shoulder. It will increase every aspect of your bench.

As for your question "Do I even need barbell bench"? No, but considering it's one of the best chest exercises, and one of the most important areas for ideal male physique, you definitely want to bench.

What is wrong with Veeky Forums? Half this board is supportive and the other half is just plain mean. Is it /pol/ and /b/ leaking through? Most people on this board would recommend fatasses trying to cut to weightlift yet you guys are suggesting the opposite. Would you guys say this to my face in real life? After I've already made a lifestyle change and lost 50 pounds? Alas, I am probably just taking bait right now.

Not gonna argue for my face but I am 6'3" and have a large frame. Now I can tell you first hand that this does not help me get girls.

you look like shit.

Thanks for the advice. Next time I hit chest I'll try to concentrate on moving the bar to the lower part of my chest and bending the bar.

>Would you guys say this to my face in real life?
Obviously not, just ignore the smelly indians and loner teenagers. Summer is almost over so their shitposting gets a little more desperate. Look at the poster count, it's just one or two guys samefagging your thread.

low test. get some blood work done to confirm

youll likely need to use supplement test just to get to normal since youre a genetic waste

Why do you think I have low test

>wahh bench is too hard :'(
Fuck off

No its just what you need to hear. You can't do anything to your chest now. You fucked up for a long time, so now getting into shape is also going to take a long time. You need something to work with before you start worrying about macros and your "pecs"

Discussing the merits of barbell and dumbbell benching at your current fitness level is just silly

Focus on weight loss and developing a lean frame, not building muscle. You can't go from fatty to bouncing your pecs around in the mirror, first you need to get a normal human body

fit gives a lot of garbage advice, nice progress.

I would say yes, you do want to barbell bench, if it's only working your shoulders and tris you might not be squeezing your shoulder blades together enough. Puff your chest out and arch your back a little bit. Don't flare your elbows straight out. Bar should either touch (but not bounce off) your chest or be 1-3 inches from it. here's a bit more about form in depth stronglifts.com/bench-press/

your muscles will develop faster when you're just starting out

It's a great compound lift that really uses your whole body so I wouldn't recommend skipping it.

Nigga how the fuck you been living your life ...

If your objective is just aesthetics /hypertrophy there's no need for doing Barbell bench.
Just keep progressing the DB bench.

Oh another board about the myth of low testosterone....keep
Cutting and exercising. /thread

Why the fuck would I waste my time doing this? Why wouldnt I just lose fat and build muscle? The bitch tits should go away if I develop my chest and lose fat.

That's what everyone in this thread has been saying but it's possible I have gyno.
What do you mean? How did I get to be so fat?

lol we'll see what you look like in 6 months with that attitude m8

You're not simply fat, you have the body of someone who never lifted more than 5lbs in your life.

also
>The bitch tits should go away if I develop my chest and lose fat.
no

My attitude is to cut down to 180 or 190 and then maintain. Right now I am at 211 so i have 20-30 pounds to go. If at that weight, I still havw significant bitch tits, I will probably get blood work done and get a physical to see if I have gyno. You're suggesting I cut down to sub 170 in order to lose fat to look like a skeletor, then bulk back up AKA waste of time.

So you think I have gyno? Also, i said I have only been lifting for 3 months, while on a cut.

The only way to know this is to lose a lot of body fat.
Unfortunately for me, the last part of my body that loses bf is my chest and lower stomach, it could be the case for you.
As I said, focus on losing weight and still try to progress in your lifts (you're going to gain a little bit of muscle mass because of your begginer / fat status, but not that much because you are in a deficit).
You should post a photo again when you're around 10-14% bf.

I will if I make it user. Hopefully some of you will be there and remember this thread.

What are you current best lifts on the big 4?

I think a slow cut down to 180-190 is good. Just stick to a novice strength program. I'd estimate it's going to take another dedicated year to start looking good, but it will come.

Also keep barbell benching, that lift is fucking dope. If you're not progressing on your lifts then something is wrong with you. Do not accept stagnation in your lifts this early on.

p.s. drink more water at all times.

Squat 135 at 5
Bench 105 at 5
OHP 70 at 5
Deadlift's one rep max is around 225

Ahh I see. Well you've got a long way to go. I'd recommend not posting threads like this again. You should have at least another 6+ months before you need to think about doing anything that isn't cutting and SS (or some variant). You seem to be a bit misguided with your goals if you're trying to avoid benching or isolate pecs. You are not even a novice yet, you need to just do the work.

I wont be cutting for 6 months, only until I hit 180/190

Yea I guess that's true. But you need to be doing SS for at least that long.

OP you have made good progress since this pic! When I've plateaued on a workout I do my max weight at 3 reps, as many sets as possible until that part is just jello. Keep it up and get those gainz bro.