>Any rowers here?
yes

Still a noob but I'm happy that my 2k is getting close to 7 minutes

Rowed a few years in college

my gym has one

my gym is my house

I have one in my house

Which one did you buy famm?

I love rowing but I am very slow.Today I averaged 2:57 for 500 m.Any tips or videos that you guys can recommend?

Only do it for like 10 minutes to warm up before lifting but like it way more than other cardio machines

Yes, semipro rower here
Stats for the erg
100: 1:10,4
500: 1:19,6
2k:6:06,3
20min(tempo20):1:45/500m
Stats for rowing
8+ 5:58
4+ 6:28

Ask me anything ya faggos

Only good rowers are concept2 (2000 dollaroos) or rp3 (even more expensive) you don't buy rowing equipment for yourself

Watch videos by rowers for rowers, not anything by crossfitters, the technique they are trying to teach people is horrible and will break your back
How fast is your split bro?

My gym has a few but I've yet to actually use it and I've only been at the gym for a month now.

Is it a full body workout? Form of cardio?

I don't know what I'd use it for as of now. I have a workout plan set in stone for now.

If you know what you're doing it's the ultimate cardio device, but it's like an explosive and heavy form of cardio (you usualy only do 20 strokes a minute during extended duration) so you'll also grt buff, learn it from a rowing video, crossfitters give the erg a bad rep

Former competitive rower here: only good rowing machine is the Concept2 in my opinion. Don't overdo the 2Ks, they're only meant to measure how well you're developing.

I'd say that once or twice every week, 2x20 minutes at a steady pace of 18/20 strokes per minute while keeping your time between 2:00/2:15 for every 500 meters should be enough to get some proper cardiovascular conditioning going.

I have a Concept2 Model D at home (same model and color as OP's pic).

>former competitive rower
What club and how fast were you?

Just bought a water rower for basement. 1,000. Sexy as hell

for me 500m is enough, or 1k at most... it becomes very HI for me, hard to pace myself. what's a decent time for just 500 or 1000m for a beginner?

where can I find a good training schedule? (lifting included)
I have a concept 2 and Free weights at home.

do you have any scores for longer erg tests (6k, 30min, 10k)?

what EXACTLY do you mean by semi-pro?

what country are you from?

Forgot pic related

I tried one of these at HOCR for a bit and didnt know what to think of it.

how does it feel compared to a concept 2 in your opinion?

Dutch rowing club in Utrecht, never made it to international level but was better than just drinking myself senseless in University. I was a lightweight rower and had to compensate for some of the bigger guys in our boat so I weighed in at roughly 65 kilos most matches (I'm 1.83 tall) so I was skinny as a twig but still managed to pull to 06:45 on a 2K on the ergometer. On the water we came close to the 06:00 minute mark but never broke it. I rowed 8+, 4- and sometimes skiff (1x)

500 you should aim for the 1:30 minute mark, 1000 go for 3:30. You can always go faster though.

in rowing you profit from height and body mass, so it's difficult to generalize that.
I'm 6'5" and got to 1:35 for 500m quite quickly

I've done a few seconds under 1:40 everytime I tried, but then I'm exhaused and couldn't go any longer. Then I paced myself a little better and got a 3:35 1000m, I'm not terribly bad then?

What form video should I watch? I think I use my whole body, get very intensely tired, not at all like running. Think that's why it's so hard to pace myself, not used to it

Different feel, but I like it and still good workout. Like that its quite

Bij knorka of triton?
I've been rowing internationally for a year now, I'm from the netherlands
Don't really do 6k or 10k max, 30 minutes (tempo 20) i do about 1:46/500m
Just go for 20 min tempo20 or something mate

do you lift/have you benefitted from lifting?

I'm going into my 4th year rowing at uni and I dont really lift at all, just erg for additional workouts outside of practice.

my 2k is a 6:14 currently and i want to get it below 6:10. is lifting something i must do to achieve this in your opinion?

Yes, lifting is not essential but it is a benefit
Also what drag factor do you row on?

>what EXACTLY do you mean by semi-pro?

He means the illegal underground canal races here in the UK where anything goes... none regulation oars, swearing, bumpsies. All the posh kids at the redbrick unis get involved and it's usually winner take all event. They go out in their families canal boats and light up the waterways and follow along side the canals in their jeep wranglers and range rovers. Our semi pro friend here would have held the record on the 20k cannonball run through the oxford canals if someone hadn't stitched him up and shot a hole in his boat in the final 1k stretch.

What the fuck did you think he meant?

Ultra-kek

10/10

In all SRS though I am really interested in what a semi-professional rower is. I assume he lives semi-homeless in Venice doing deliveroo by gondola because I can even.

It means I earn a small amount of money from rowing international races, but not nearly enough to live from

Fair play, I can only 7.02 a 2k so who the very fuck am I. Hard work I imagine.

Riddle me this.

I'm just starting PPLPPLx with cardio after each workout because I don't want to turn into one of those lifters who can't walk up stairs without panting, switching from alternating upper lower where i stopped rowing 2k for a warmup because it was slowing progress lifting. I did a 5k run on push day yesterday, Gonna do a 2k row tonight on pull day and some skipping on Leg day. Would you recommend I do a 2 x 5ks a week or 2 x 2ks a week with the aim of slowly improving my 2k time. Baring in mind I'm doing 1:30hr of lifting before hand so I'm not going to be able to push myself on the 2k. (And no I'm not rowing before lifting)

Starting to think I should do longer 5ks because I may throw up trying to go hard with 2ks when I have squats and legs to do the next day. And just testing a 2k every now and then.

Is 20 strokes a minute fast enough to get your 500 time at two minutes?

I row. But in my rowing club we usually use wooden boats.
That thing you've depicted looks like it'd sink in no time.

3-4 for pretty much everything

Yes, if you are a guy that is in decent shape and relatively big (more than 150 lbs). I typically do 60-80 minutes at 20 strokes per minute at 1:50/500m

absolutely, it will take a bit of time depending on where you currently are, but absolutely

why do you steady state at such a high stroke rate? why not bump it up a few splits and bring down the stroke rate to like an 18?

Not him, but 20 is not high mate, it's the most efficient stroke for long training intended durations(testing your max you usually do higher tempo) and its around what you do in a rowing boat for training

It's a new training plan I've been working on this summer. I found that I spend more time in the steady state HR zone when I rate at a 20 rather than a 16 or 18. I am very aerobic-system biased (15km and 10km are much better relatively than my 2km), but I developed most of that when I used to steady state at a lower rate

You can actually see the actual drag factor if you go to more options, display drag factor, not every erg is made the same so the slide is not a reliable thing. Set your drag factor to 100-120, most americans meme themselves into setting it to 130 and most gymbros think it's like plates on a barbel. But putting it on 120 as opposed to setting it higher means you train explosovity, people who put the drag factor higher argue it is heavier and trains your muscles more, however using basic physics we can debunk this, work is force times distance, if you do the same split at the same tempo the force on your handle will be exactly the same, however pulling the handle will not take as long, thus you are training explosivity. Setting it too low will however make it impossible to deliver enough force

tried the erg for the first time yesterday.
did a 2k and had 1:35/500m. is that good?

im 6'3 so pretty sure that helps

I usually have it around 100-115. My coach says I have a hard time keeping up in the boat at high rates and suggest that I train with low drag factor. I dont know the reasoning behind this, but its just something I did and have become accustomed to

I used to rate at 20 for my SS, but again, my coaches and teammates gave me shit for it. I dropped my rating to an 18 and bumped my split up, but I really dont understand why. These are things I just did without asking questions

>first time
1:35 2k max
This is certified bullshit

this is good advice.
Rowed for arguably the best highschool rowing crew in New Zealand, I'm gonna try find the programs that we used if I still have access to the spreadsheets on google drive

>Not keeping up with the stroke rate
What seat are you in the boat and where are you from then?

6 seat.
This is advice that I followed about a year ago when I was trying to get into our 1V. Despite the fact that I've since made the 1V, I still SS at this low drag factor

I row 3-4x per week, always after lifting.

My gym has 4 machines with water resistance, which I think is like a 7-8 resistance on the Concept II.

I row for 2,500 meters and try to do it in ~10:30. I have no idea if that is enough or if that is fast, but it works up a sweat and it works for my routine/schedule.

Is rowing a good alternative to running every other day for someone trying to get Veeky Forums or nah?

>i detest running

Yes. As long as you make sure you are using the proper form, otherwise it will be near impossible to get enough resistance on it to have a good workout. It is probably one of the best tools to get aerobically fit and develop work capacity if used properly

2:57/500m? Dude how do you row that slowly? Thats terrible

>amateur rowing

The one you have pictured. Concept 2 model D.

Ignore this idiot. I paid ~ $1,000 for mine off of Amazon

i enjoy the rower but every time ive gotten on one of those things ive strained the back of my knee.