Someone explain this stoic shit to me. Is it a new meme hipster philosophy for nu-males?

Someone explain this stoic shit to me. Is it a new meme hipster philosophy for nu-males?

Not new, not meme, not hipster and not numale. Quite the opposite. Read at least the wiki article before making terrible threads

just sum this shit up for me.

Platonic Stoicism = Jedi
Nietzschean Will to Power = Sith

Brainlet

Things happen that are out of your control and sometimes that sucks but whatever.

Control your emotions and accept some things are out of control. Use reason and know your place.

You should read Meditations of Marcus aurelius. It's very easy to understand and gives you peace of mind.

>explain this stoic shit
One day a mangina Cynic got so assblasted that some food touched him in the public forum that he devised six or seven extra layers of self-denial to basic Cynicism to cover up the fact that social embarrassment made him weep like a girl.

Then a couple thousand years later some totally stable internet geniuses began conflating it with Buddhism because "fuck it why not".

The end.

>began conflating it with Buddhism

There's massive overlap with Buddhism. Look at the Five Rememberences. Each one you can compare to a concept or quote by Aurelius, Epictetus, or another stoic and find a 1:1 pair.

>I am subject to aging. There is no way to avoid aging.

>I am subject to ill health. There is no way to avoid illness.

>I am going to die. There is no way to avoid death.

>Everyone and everything that I love will change, and I will be separated from them.

>My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.

when bad shit happens, dont be a whiney faggot about it. Also realize that there are things in life that you cant control, so its stupid to get butthurt over this fact.

>>I am subject to aging. There is no way to avoid aging.
>>I am subject to ill health. There is no way to avoid illness.
>>I am going to die. There is no way to avoid death.
>>Everyone and everything that I love will change, and I will be separated from them.
>>My actions are my only true belongings. I cannot escape the consequences of my actions. My actions are the ground upon which I stand.
AKA people say dumb obvious shit so clearly the doctrinal details of their highly divergent ontological, epistemological, cultural, and textual contexts are exactly the same.

You can do that with the vast majority of Śramaṇa writings because they were largely realists.

>I am subject to aging. There is no way to avoid aging.

>I am subject to ill health. There is no way to avoid illness.
These two are increasingly becoming not the case anymore in first world nations.

>I am going to die. There is no way to avoid death.
Still true and probably always will be, but there is a difference between dying at 50 from an incurable illness like our ancestors frequently did and dying at 300 or so to a homicide or accident which is what we're gradually heading towards.

>These two are increasingly becoming not the case anymore in first world nations.

well, these are literally impossible, so no. If you made people immortal, they'd eventually all just get cancer. And people still age and get sick, even if treatment is there and we get less sick. We still suffer ailments towards the end of life.

Stoicism deadens the soul and blinds you to true beauty. People should seek extreme catgarsis, good or bad, not look for a rounded, evened out state on consciousness.

Can't believe people actually believe this shit. Accept your mortality, soyboy.

It is buddhism but shittier

Not him, but there's no scientific reason to doubt that anti aging will be a thing. We know the factors and we know they can be manipulated, we only need to know how to do it safely

No they're not. An anti-aging pill just entered human trials a few months ago.

>>If you made people immortal, they'd eventually all just get cancer
I'm not talking about immortality and cancer is becoming an increasingly treatable as well.

>>And people still age and get sick, even if treatment is there and we get less sick.
Yes, right now, but less so then our grand parents or even our parents.

>>We still suffer ailments towards the end of life.
And this will eventually no longer be the case.

Again, I'm not talking about immortality here, and if actually read the post I made before flinging shit like a retard while immediately thinking of your favorite pol-tier buzzword you would have realized this.

You're trying to make accepting the finitude of human existence obsolete with fucking pills from Big Pharma. That's stupid. That's why I called you a soyboy.

That’s Bob Ross. He was a painter. Retard.

>>You're trying to make accepting the finitude of human existence obsolete

>>I am going to die. There is no way to avoid death.
>Still true and probably always will be, but there is a difference between dying at 50 from an incurable illness like our ancestors frequently did and dying at 300 or so to a homicide or accident which is what we're gradually heading towards.

You are very bad at reading comprehension

>>pills from Big Pharma
Medicine is real and improves the quality of life of human beings, contrary to your masturbatory desires otherwise.

Your post was literally ACKSHUALLY-tier.

You think the Iluminati will let plebs like you get immortality pills? It will be way beyond your price range or hidden from your knowledge. The rulers of the world would be stupid to try and let their people live forever.

This shows fundamental lack of understanding of economics, politics, and medicine. Read a fucking book

It was actually correct.

>>the illuminati
You're an idiot if you think governments don't have a vested interest in making sure that anti-aging medication is readily available to the general public.

Basically what this guy said.

>new
wew

Keep dreaming you naive hipsters. You'll never see an immortality pill. You are peasants, the giant pharmaceutical corporations are some of your Lords.

I agree with this. Stoicism, to me at least, is kinda like saying "I don't want to hear ugly noises so I'll punch out my eardrums". I don't think it's worth missing out on the good stuff to shield yourself from the bad. It's like a philosophy for pessimistic people who only focus on suffering. Fuck that. You can suffer and still be happy. I did that for a while, it's doable.

idiot detected
>>immortality pill
No. Anti-aging pills and yes we will see them. They already figured out how to halt/reverse the aging process in rats.
>>giant pharmaceutical corporations
Are ultimately subservient to governments, and those governments have an obvious vested interest in keeping the populace young and healthy.

>Are ultimately subservient to governments

They own your politicians almost as much as bankers, holy fucking shit dude this is high school level naivety. I think even high schoolers know this shit.

I know that when it came to slavery they said that your soul can't be enslaved and that if you are enslaved then it's cause you're weak in spirit in comparison to whoever's enslaving you rather than you being inferior in other regards like not being Greek as Aristotle believe all non-Greeks were destined to be slaves to Greeks.

Stoicism isn't pessimissm, that's a mis-reading. It's more cutting out the noise and bs that doesn't matter and having you focus on what really matters and giving you the tools to survive life, including the biggest misfortunes. A lot of the things people care about is total nonsense, or destructive to the soul.

>>They own
No they don't. Politicians receive money from all sorts of corporate and public donors. Pharmaceutical companies are only some of them, and a lot of these donors would be perfectly okay with a populace that ages much slower or not at all while simultaneously being much less likely suffer from serious illness.

Plus even this assumes that Pharma companies wouldn't want such a drug to be sold to the average person anyway, an unsupportable assertion in and of itself. You can make much more money selling such an obviously beneficial medication to a broad swathe of the population rather then a narrow subset of it.

Oh and companies giving money to a government does not mean that they still aren't ultimately subservient to that state.

Brainlet

>A lot of the things people care about is total nonsense, or destructive to the soul.
So, now making it sound like it's all about replacing most of the joy in your life with a smug sense of self-satisfaction that you are denying yourself those things. I hate the entire concept of smugness with a passion, I'd make it a crime to feel smug if I could. Shit, all the best things in life are bad for you.

They sell more drugs and treatments to old and crumpling people than probably any other demographic. The politicians don't want overpopulation via people who never die, the pharmaceutical companies don't want to lose the case they get from old people being one step away from life support for decades either.

Yes user, multi-national corporations funnel millions of their profits into political parties and politicians because they have really strong views on trans bathrooms.

>going on some rant about smugness for no reason

Smugness isn't stoicism.

>>They sell more drugs and treatments to old and crumpling people than probably any other demographic.
Except this will be replaced by a medication that everyone will be taking.

>>The politicians don't want overpopulation via people who never die
Overpopulation is not a problem in first world nations, which is where these drugs will be available.

>>the pharmaceutical companies don't want to lose the case they get from old people being one step away from life support for decades either.
See above, they will still be selling plenty of pills to a large swathe of the population.

>>Yes user, multi-national corporations funnel millions of their profits into political parties and politicians because they have really strong views on trans bathrooms.
Men made of straw are very easy to tip over, this does not make said tipping a victory for the tipper.

Yeah it is. The whole point is to feel smug. Stoicism lets you feel superior to everyone else. You can claim it's something else, but that's the end product to everyone who isn't a stoic. You don't live on a deserted island, you live in society (I hope, at least, otherwise you have on computer access to post on here) and that's how literally everyone who doesn't buy into stoicism sees you. And on the inside you might feel like... whatever the hell you're even trying to turn yourself into through stoicism (some kind of image of a superior man, I suppose) but on the outside you're just a smug robot. And despite what your third grade teacher told you, the outside actually is just as important as the inside.

>These two are increasingly becoming not the case anymore in first world nations.
what type of weird bizzaro world fantasy to you inhabit?

Hey man are you seriously trying to say that campaign financing in the millions from single entities yields zero political results? It's probably the mos obvious form of corruption there is.

>what type of weird bizzaro world fantasy to you inhabit?
The one we live in right now.

No. What I'm saying is that money does not result in the people giving the money getting their way all the time for all sorts of reasons. Oh and I'm also saying that a lot of the people giving the money would be perfectly okay with a population of people who age much slower or not at all and rarely if ever get sick.

>All these fools afraid to die, and latching onto the myth of immortality

Nice not living in accordance to nature.

No Stoicism is antithetical to hipster/nu-male or anything resembling SJW philosophy or the culture of victimhood.

Stoicism teaches us the path to serenity by emphasizing an alignment with one's fate. Rather than struggle in vain against the inevitable, find some way to operate within those necessary parameters and find a way to relate to it positively.

Thus, it is primarily about discipline and the awareness that our internal (rather than external) states are what are ultimately within our control.

If something about reality is objectionable, you can try to change it. If you cannot change it, you must change your orientation towards it.

"Men are disturbed, not by things, but by the principles and notions which they form concerning things."

"It is the act of an ill-instructed man to blame others for his own bad condition; it is the act of one who has begun to be instructed, to lay the blame on himself; and of one whose instruction is completed, neither to blame another, nor himself."

I must die. Must I then die lamenting? I must be put in chains. Must I then also lament? I must go into exile. Does any man then hinder me from going with smiles and cheerfulness and contentment?

>>the myth of immortality
Lack of aging and disease is not the same thing as immortality. What's more, living in accordance with the laws of nature means dying of dysentery when you're 25. I'll take not obeying those laws instead.

It gives people who would normally mock self help books and "alternative lifestyles" a way to participate without any of the consumerist guilt

>Everybody should think and act like I do