Yoga

Yoga thread.

Just started yoga and discovered I'm a lot less flexible than I thought I was. The stretching feels good, man.

Who is your favorite youtube yogi?
Do you do yoga at home, or at a gym?

I'm checking out the Down Dog app now, looks pretty legit. Thoughts?

Pic related, Queen Kino

Other urls found in this thread:

flowgrade.de/en/blog/why-powerlifters-shouldnt-do-yoga-flowgrade-show-episode-33-with-dr-stuart-mcgill/
youtube.com/watch?v=iN-FPh7r1yg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How did you get over the hole stupid ass hippie and hipster shit?

Heard good things about Yoga, but all the folks doing it are either some disgusting hipsters or some smelly hippies with retarded ideas about how the world supposedly works.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that one.

OP here, I'm doing yoga mostly to compliment BJJ. My friend does yoga and claims it really improved his BJJ, flexibility, etc. And my body feels tight as fuck, and needs to loosen up.

The only other person I know who does yoga is a basic bitch Indian girl who keeps telling me I have to do Sun Salutations facing East... Like, bitch it doesn't fucking matter. "Yes it does!!"

5 Parks does a tremendous diversity of classes catering to many skill levels with lots of options for how long you have available to work out. Plus Erin is a total cutie and I wanna pinch that butt.

I do yoga at home 1 to 3 days per week. Very flexible and in very good shape because of it - supplements a very cardio-heavy workout schedule,

I know nothing about DD app but you'll benefit from including asana sequences into your workout schedule pretty much no matter what your goals are.

No fucking clue what asana is, but I'll check out 5 Parks.

I just use a spikey ball and a foam roller -- either green level, or black level.
I also stretch every muscle and hang upside down once a week.
I don't need this fool pretzel logic position.

>squatty potty ?

It matters which direction you face if you do YOGA because yoga is a wholistic spiritual practice, to which the sun is integral. But if you're just doing the asanas (postures) in sequence or by themselves you can probably argue that you've extracted the phisicality from the practice, and are not spiritual at all so which direction you face is irrelevant in that case.

Asanas are the postures, vinyasas are the sequences of postures (this is not quite a complete explanation but is close enough).

I liked Yoga with Adriene for getting started. Her 30 days off beginners yoga is a great place to begin. Don't be afraid to stay on one day's video for an extra day off you're struggling.

Plus, she's a qt3.14, so that helps

A lot of athletes and body builders swear by yoga. Enjoy your zero flexibility and stiffness.

The Down Dog app is totally legit, I use it when I'm out of town away from the studio and the advanced asana flows make me sweat like a mother fucker.
I've been going several times a week for about 18 months now and I can easily say that I'm the most flexible and mobile of all my male friends by a wide margin. And I started out being tight as fuck in the hips. I still can't get anywhere near full lotus, and I think it's because I was pigeon toed as a kid and was put in corrective casts which apparently fucked my hip flexors to oblivion.
I fucking hate jewtube so I don't know anything about those vids.

She talks too much and gets mad annoying.

Wew that camel toe

Sweet, that's awesome to hear, I'm gonna stick to the app then.

I want to get mad good at yoga mad fast.

Can I do 2 sessions a day, every day?

You have the wrong attitude about yoga. Wtf do you even mean when you say "mad good"?

yoga is fucking gay

if your goal is flexibility then just do your stretches and don't attach this stupid fucking "happy spiritual relaxation" bullshit to it

You don't think you can be "good" at yoga?

Just a remark: if you are doing strength training you better not to yoga.
You'll make yourself more injury prone.

Do your mobility stuff, not more.

Sure, but just stretching isn't targeting all areas of your body and spine like yoga does.

maybe you should choose better stretches then

Like yoga stretches?

"yoga" is just a fancy stretching meme to better appeal Stacy and Jennifer; and it's not even that optimal. Learn to fucking stretch.

his point is not that the stretches that practicers do are stupid, it's that the spiritual emphasis of yoga is stupid. if all you do are the asanas you're technically not doing yoga, you're just stretching and holding.

honestly this is the average sort of girl i wish i had been having one night stands with in college

nothing really noteworthy about her but it would be a good night of feeling like you're normal. i'd almost rather bang her than someone objectively prettier because at that point you're like "ok you're banging me but you're out of my league, what's your angle"

with this girl you're like "ok shes just horny like me, we're both average. cool"

anyway whats this thread about?

I do Kino Yoga's stuff. Powerful weapon for health, flexibility and to fight my depression.

EVERYONE READ THIS:
postures and sequences done during yogic practices are not yoga, they are just a part of yoga. as a whole yoga includes things like meditation, fasting, prayer, stretching and postures, and a life philosophy. If you don't adopt the *whole thing* you're not doing yoga, you're just doing the one aspect of it; in the typical Western sense of the word, just the stretching and postures, which by all reasonable arguments should be called just that - "stretching and postures".

Yoga is literally the ancient pajeet Sanskrit word for "physical discipline". It's not inherently religious nor does it pretend to be anything other than exercises to loosen your hammies, back, quads, etc. Fucking Western roasties and the British Jew just took it and packaged it into a meme for the rest of us.

If you've got a stretch / balance routine that you run regularly, you're doing yoga on the traditional sense. If you're following some pajeet Jew in a $300/lesson program with incense, candles, and the gnesh elephant in the background, then your doing westernized yoga and you're probably a DYEL woman

flowgrade.de/en/blog/why-powerlifters-shouldnt-do-yoga-flowgrade-show-episode-33-with-dr-stuart-mcgill/

>flowgrade.de/en/blog/why-powerlifters-shouldnt-do-yoga-flowgrade-show-episode-33-with-dr-stuart-mcgill/
>w/ Stuart McGill
Well shit, I guess it's not just a meme then.

It isn't, but remember: just because you do some 315 lbs deadlifts you are not a PL.
What he references as PL are actual athletes that take it to a serious level.

I don't think it applies to casuals.

That's fair, I'm watching it now and I was getting that impression.

So I guess then, how do you balance it? If I want to be able to touch my toes but also do strong DL, like he uses as an example, where exactly is the balance point between flexibility and strength that allows your back to be hard, but also soft enough to be flexible?

Or should I just give up and wait for an organic robo-body?

I stretch every day, usually twice, and I've started to notice the meditative aspect of it. Would really like to look into yoga but I'm also not a dirty hippie or believe in world peace. Basically this

Nothing wrong with relaxation and meditating. It doesn't have to be religious and you don't need to believe in spirits or energies or whatever nonsense. It's good for your mental health to relax and quiet down every once in a while and that's according to western medicine, not some indian god.

Idk mate.
I feel like maintaining a I-can-touch-my-toes level of flexibility shouldn't be harmful considering how casual that is.
Just don't go full subtle leopard I'd say.

Anyhow stretching your hams shouldn't include your spine at all - lay down on your back and stretch them with a band around your foot, reaching for your toes stretches your lower back and is shit.

No one gives a shit pajeet. I'll do what I want and call it what I want, are you gonna call the cultural appropriation police on me?

>“Couch potatoes never have back pain, it’s so unfair.” – Dr. Stuart McGill
That's just so completely inaccurate I stopped reading there. When I had a rough patch in my life and stopped exercising my back and neck were always sore. Two years back on the wagon (I mean the gym, I was never an alcoholic) and I haven't experienced any pain aside from perfectly normal muscle soreness. My nerd friends bitch about their necks and blame it on everything in the world except their lack of physical fitness. My neck is never sore anymore and I never have headaches either.

This.

OP here, I only called it "yoga" because everyone knows that I meant "stretching and poses for strength, flexibility, etc"

If I said "Asana thread" no one would reply.

For me there was nothing to get over. My doing the same activity as someone I don't like reflects on me in no way at all. Indeed there is enough free yoga on the internets now that one doesn't have to take part in the social aspect of it at all, though there are shitloads of smoking hot women at IRL yoga classes that a Veeky Forums man can make runs on if he so desires.

And I used to so desire, until I married one.

My wife does her yoga and digs the shit out of it. I join her here and there but she isn't really my style.

Depending on what I feel like doing, I'll either load up a Yoga by Candace (she is also a 3.14) or a YRG which is done by Diamond Dallas Fucking Page.

What's wrong with world peace? You're the problem, faggot.

How long will it take someone inflexible to do the splits, does it hurt your balls if you do them?

>My doing the same activity as someone I don't like reflects on me in no way at all.
Not the guy replying to but it's not that. I want to learn about yoga but I don't want to listen to that shit. I don't care about my image or whatever, I just don't want to listen to it.

You're reading this message I typed on the other side of the world and transfered to you near-instantaneously because of explotation of others. Europeans (Americans count as Europeans in this context) didn't achieve their global dominance by acting nice to others. They did it with force and ruthlessness. If we didn't make weaker civilizations slave away in their iron mines or sweat shops we couldn't have the lifestyles we're accustomed to. There has to be a loser before there can be a winner.

How often is too often in terms of stretching?

>If you don't adopt the *whole thing* you're not doing yoga,
Cool your jets, amigo. I think you're getting far too lost in maya there, I appreciate that you are trying to teach people that 'yoga' as a concept has a lot more depth to it than just physical stretching, but you seem to be forgetting that 'yoga' itself is just a conceptual idea, don't be so quick to set up boundaries of what 'is' and what 'is not', that is getting lost in the world of division.
We're all on a journey up the mountain, not everyone is going to climb so high up the path before they die, but that doesn't mean they aren't walking the path, if the only part of 'true' yoga the people in this thread ever include in their lives is the stretching and postures their life will be that much better for it, even just simply to focus on your breathing is yoga.
So let's turn off caps lock, pull up a zafu, have a smoke, and all enjoy this journey together.

I think that you can get yourself into postures that others might struggle with, but that doesn't make you "good" at yoga. "Good" is a qualifier that doesn't apply to a mindful practice. You can do what you can do and you work to improve it, there is no "good".

Times have changed. Things don't work like that anymore, nor do they need to work like that anymore.

I've been wanting to try yoga AT HOME for ages but there's so much shit I literally have no idea where to start. I want to become like those assholes that do yoga in all those crazy positions, in one hand, turning their legs 90 degrees, shit like that. Like, "athletic yoga". Is that a term?

Anyway. Where do I start? Give me a youtube channel or a torrent pls.

Who cares!? WE'RE FREAKS!!

Yoga is purely physical in the literal sense, not the traditional sense. Those are different things.

Oh I know. I was making the point I made because that one guy with the Indian friend who called him out for not facing east when he does yoga is justified if he wants to call it yoga.

It's akin to somebody going around claiming to be a powerlifter just eating like a power lifter and not actually, having the right attitude or lifting any weights... Doing part of the discipline doesn't mean you're doing the discipline.

Not your shit pasta, that's for fucking sure.

OP and someone else in the thread recommended the Down Dog phone app.

Also Kino Yoga is p good

youtube.com/watch?v=iN-FPh7r1yg

There is no real amount. Consider that top gymnastic athletes and professional dancers will stretch pretty much all day every day, what's important is to ensure you're stretching safely, meaning properly warming up into the stretches, knowing your limits, knowing proper form and technique, understanding when to let different muscle groups and joints rest. I'm a qualified personal trainer and I've spent my entire life in and out of different gyms practicing a variety of martial arts, so I've had the benefit of stretching with a lot of different instructors, that's the best way to learn any sort of physical technique, like a wandering fucking monk learning from the different teachers you meet across the land, if you're only learning from shit you've read online you'll never have your mistakes corrected.

I was just trying to draw attention to the post.

People who want to do only the asanas and vinyasas aren't wrong or bad to adopt that practice. They're just technically not doing yoga.

No they haven't. Everyoke likes to think their age is unique, this idea is not original nor is it in any way specific to our time. "Times have changed" is a mantra repeated since people learnt to write down their history, yet the same basic principles have always applied.

The methods in which we exploit others have changed, you're right about that, but the core relationship between the exploited and the exploitees hasn't.

Foam rolling isn't close to the same thing

I disagree, and think you're stuck in an outdated way of thinking.

Thanks

lol look at her stupid cunt

Why do you care who else is doing yoga? Aside from the fact that you can just go to a class and ignore everyone else, you could do yoga privately in your own home and never tell a soul about it.

Stop letting other people dictate what you do with your life. What a petty and juvenile way to go about things.

What exactly has outdated it? You're offering nothing to back up your own claims, just repeating catchy slogans.

What if child labour or sweat shops stopped existing in Asia? Price of all consumer electronics in Europe would go up. I would either have less things or less free time. My quality of life would go down, because someone else's went up.

You're missing the point. I have to listen to an instructor regardless if I'm at home or in a class. It has nothing to do with how other people see me or who I'm associated with. I've yet to see a yoga instructor that doesn't push his own world view while oeganizing the class and if I'm not mistaken that's what they're supposed to do since it is a part of yoga.

for correcting your mistakes?

If anyone else is doing yoga i'm going to flip the fuck out

I understand your point but I don't see what it has to do with the internet. It's not like online there's only one consensus on how to do things.

>I've yet to see a yoga instructor that doesn't push his own world view while oeganizing the class

Lmao, i've been to like seven yoga instructors and none of them have ever done that. I'm guessing you've never done yoga and that you're probably some triggered /pol/tard relying on unfounded memes about how the world works.

>I agree with what he says therefore he doesn't say it
Solid logic there pajeet

Ok so he's talking about high-level professional power lifters right? I try and lift three times a week and lately I've started incorporation bikram (hot yoga) once a week. Is this still potentially harmful, or not so much if I'm just doing standard PPL hypertrophy lifting?

No, i mean i've shown up to many yoga classes over the years and typically the instructor just tells everyone to sit down and relax and tells us how to do the first of many stretches. I've never, ever seen an instructor "push his own worldview" or do/say anything that could be construed as promoting anything other than relaxation and proper stretching form.

I can tell you've never been to yoga. That's fine but it doesn't make any sense to lie about it.

While I agree that the vast majority of my instructors have never done this the one or two that do are utterly fucking insufferable and I will go to extraordinary lengths to avoid anything and everything they do because they use the class as a goddamn soapbox to preach about their ideology as though if you don't follow it to the letter you're an incomplete human and are missing out on life. Bitch I just want to breath, meditate, and do arm balances, fuck off with your pedantic nonsense.

Is there a higher resolution photograph so I may properly inspect her labia majora? Thanks gym friends!

I haven't lied. I thought I was clear I would want to get into yoga, but this is what's holding me back. I have looked at some youtube channels where they teach you to do it at home but
A. I don't believe it's as effective as the real thing
B. the ones I've seen keep coming back to the "spiritual side" which I have no problem with in theory if it just meditation but it's always the equality unity hippie crap

You admitted this too, if by accident. Why would a "poltard" get "triggered" if there was nothing involved that would trigger a "poltard"? I don't think neo nazis hating stretching is a stereotype.

Yes, I have various resolutions of the photograph but posted one of the lower resolution versions because I didn't want to tax the Veeky Forums servers. I'll attach a better quality one to this post unless I forget.

I have tried something called PiYo recently, it's a hybrid of pilates and yoga in case you can't tell. It's very good at stretching out muscles which in turn improves my recovery so that i'm able to be be back to full strength sooner.

I've found it very beneficial, and would recommend it to anyone who's into fitness

Okay, thanks mister!

For the answer

Flow With Adee has some great practices. She also has my ideal body type, so its nice to look at, too.

Found yoga to be difficult and more physically intensive than Id like it to be. I went through a class and by the end I was slipping all over my mat/wood floor because im a naturally sweaty as fuck mofo... I found a private qi gong instructor in his mid 70s and had been doing that 3 times a week minimum all of last year.. got off the train after moving away from my master and coincidentally have had more injuries/physical problems than I did past year. Recently took up stretching post cardio pre lifting and it seems to help reedtablish the balance.

For any fat/immobile fucks who cant into yoga, look into qi gong. Its the root of tai chi and you learn more gentle movements and breathing techniques vs putting your body in strange positions.

>just repeating catchy slogans.

Which is exactly what you are doing to justify your own side...

>Why would a "poltard" get "triggered" if there was nothing involved that would trigger a "poltard"?

Because /pol/tards are stupid? The implication was that you're speaking on an area in which you have little to no experience and are therefore relying on incomplete information at best. It's pretty obvious you're a /pol/tard because of the way you'd let some incorrectly perceived notion of "unity" stop you from doing something you'd otherwise do, so no, there was no admission of anything.

How is yoga superior in any way as a way of stretching?

I much rather and think the stretching gymnasts do or shaolin monks practice is far better and yields much better acquisitons relevant to our lifestyle as active beings.

No I'm not. I'm giving you the logic behind my argument and concrete examples from the real world. You're literally only saying "that's not true anymore" and providing no reasoning or logic or examples behind that.

>the way you'd let some incorrectly perceived notion of "unity" stop you from doing something you'd otherwise do
So if you went to a yoga lesson and the instructor kept going on about his theory on eugenics and the superiority of the white man inbetween the poses you'd keep going there? Because hey it's just words you aren't stupid enough to let something like that stop you from doing something you otherwise would, right?

The point is neither example happens with any regularity, and your belief to the contrary is based on nothing other than your preconceived sheltered poltard notions.

No, it's based on the youtube yoga instructors I saw. Regardless of that I was originally asking whether that is a common occurance were I to sign up for a class, not claiming it to be so.

Not same image, but same girl

Whatever you say friend. Have a nice day.

I've read some of the most retarded shit in this thread

>2017
>not joining a yoga studio
>not realizing that yoga is more about strength than it is flexibility
>not being able to actually have an active hobby in common with females
>not working out shirtless in front of young qt3.14s while they mire your gains
>not gaining flexibility and functional strength
>not connecting to your breathe
>not gaining awareness and increasing your dhrana
>not increasing your capacity for intimacy
>not increasing your confidence
>not increasing your presence

it's like none of you want to make it

t. 21 year old male yoga instructor, pic related

What a bunch of bullshits.

whoops its spelt dharana

Love Yoga with Adriene, she is super dorky, but it grew on me and now I love her bad jokes. Plus, she has really good videos, both shorter and longer for whatever you're feeling. I think she just started doing some more Pranayama as well?

Or instead, CEOs would reduce their salary to keep the price of consumer goods down, so people would actually buy them.

If they let the price of their goods go up, and no one buys them, they would be out of business.

The only logical thing for them to do is to cut back on their own ridiculous multi million dollar salaries.

not an argument lol

Are you retardexd, you fucking hippie?

Yoga is just calisthenics for health and about 100 years old. The spiritual bullshit got added later by idiotic hippies and Indians who wanted to make a quick buck.

Unless you talk about the original Yoga, which just has Lotos position and such thing and is only meditation.

Qigong is Yoga. Ever wondered where the word Kung Fu comes from?

It's from when the Jesuits were in China and researched their medicine. What they brought back is now easily identified as Qi Gong, even though they called it "Cong Fou" (they were French) and it's really just Yoga.

whoops you forgot a 0 it's actually thousands of years old

but yeah I get ur point it didn't get really organized until just a couple centuries ago

literally how the human body is *designed* to move lol

Yoga is the third world's pilates

The spiritual bullshit got added later by idiotic hippies and Indians who wanted to make a quick buck.

Unless you talk about the original Yoga, which just has Lotos position and such thing and is only meditation.

the physical movments where designed to make the body subtle and strong for medition so the spiritual bullshit didnt come after

Stupid women fell for the yoga health meme. The original creators made this to compliment the kama sutra so they could bang their bitches in new and wonderful positions.