Form check

Some old dude came up to me today and said I was leaning forward and am going to fuck my back up squatting. I told him I felt fine but he assured me I'm fucking up my form and to deload.

So I took a video. I feel like I look fine. Can someone confirm so I can squat next leg day without this on my mind? Or if I am fucking up, can someone tell me what I need to do to fix it? Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0
youtube.com/watch?v=lPg5SyAt9F8
youtu.be/ZeqEWLvtZJw
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwzyHeAlos&ved=0ahUKEwier8TJgsrVAhWBeCYKHaokBlsQwqsBCCkwAA&usg=AFQjCNF3rnb4lMv0gZH_P1jZJsAV74Xvbw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You back looks fine...

Form is great OP.
If you want to experiment, you can switch to low bar. It will allow you to squat more with less strain on your body depending on your leverages.

Good lifting.

Its not moving too much foward. You just have some long ass femurs so squatting below parallel is gonna take some know how.

It's fine, it looks like you could rise your chest more though.
Also thats half a squat, you're not breaking paralel.

Imo squatting ATG isn't very important. Parallel is all you need to do.

I squat atg for my working sets of 5+ usually, but I instead hit this at 1 rep for 3 sets after a repped max attempt of 245x6.
Low bar hurts my shoulders, how do I grab that shit? And thanks!

You might be fine for now, but you are gonna fuck your L5 if you don't straighten more. The only people who are going to tell you it's fine are people that are at risk of that themselves. Have fun with being a gimp when you're 50+

He's trying to steal your gains, ignore him and move on.
That's definitely parallel, and even so there's no way in hell you can call that a half squat. Kys.

You need to get your hips below your kness to break parallel, breh.
He got one short ass tibia though. I'd like to know how tall he is.

Dude is moron, you have long quads and long torso. Gonna end up leaning foward no matter what you do (unless some oly shoes, with them you will lean foward slightly too). Bar is over midfoot and that's all that matters. Bar over midfoot is best squat position.

You can try lowbaring but Im afraid your squat will end up Layne Norton like which isnt really that bad considering thats how you build

next time he comes up ask him to explain you how to have bar over midfoot without foward lean in your case

>Also thats half a squat, you're not breaking paralel.
>paralel
Lel.

also took off this shitty shoes and do it barefoot in socks or get something stable, ass shaking is one of reasons for it

spread your knees too, dont squat knees foward

It's alright. You should be a bit more erect, you do have a tiny foward lean, which is enabled by your head being down.

look at the sky before you drop and you should be fine

Also i'd say switch to front squat for a while, nothing will correct a forward lean like 225 resting on your tiddays.

you can get ATG much easier with front as well, overall it's a better exercise for regular use. Backsquat is to find out how strong you are, front squat is to improve your body

I can be sure from this angle, but it looks like the bar is in the high-bar position (on your traps) but you're doing a low-bar depth squat (which should be on your rear delts). This is probably the forward lean he was talking about because the bar is forward of your balance point.

You can get more depth by shoving the knees out and opening up the hips but if your adductors are not used to the stress it might require some deloading.

Crease of the hips is not below the top of the knee cap at the lowest point.

Don't front squats fuck up your knees? That's why Clarence Kennedy fucked his up according to him.

It's easy. You place the bar where your upper traps end (Near scapulas) There is a small spot you can comfortably sit the bar on, you just need to find it.

After you find the bar spot, make sure you place the bar on your palms, not fingers and to do that you will need to bring your hands closer than you would in high bar.

Last step is to lean forward a little bit using your lower back. Doing that will even out the weight across your body and have it in the center of gravity so when you squat, it will be impossible for you to go either forward or back.

Just play around with it next time you go to the gym on light weights.

There are also tons of vids on youtube explaining it better than I do.

Fair enough, I'll work on my form.

Pic related is the lowest I can comfortably go, and I feel butt wink that low.

Looks fine. Fucking oldfags always trying to correct young men.

"Back in my day I used to squat 500"

youtube.com/watch?v=g2tyOLvArw0

Watch on 2x speed if too long.

Your form is correct. It is parallel. Don't listen to those DYELs.

One foot re rack is dangerous. Re rack as if you were squatting.

Ass =/= hips, you mentally challeged breh.

thousands upon thousands of Olympic lifters say no. Form is critical and needs to be mastered at light weights for a very long time, but no, front squats do not fuck your knees up unless you are taking risks.

Your form looks awkward, you need nore mobility in the legs

Your femurs are long as fuck

Your back's fine, but you need to go lower.

Also, if you only did it to record this then it's ok, but otherwise doing singles at 2.5pl8 is retarded.

I unrack 445 one foot. Problem?

The "knees out" cue in Starting Strength is magic because you'll basically bottom out at parallel. If you do it right you'll feel a stretch in the adductors and hips and that is the exact moment you know you're at parallel and it's time to ascend. If you go any lower past that point then you'll butt wink or your back angle will change.

Also watch this.

youtube.com/watch?v=lPg5SyAt9F8

Unracking is dangerous but not as much as re racking.
Stop being silly, you are taking unnecessary risks.

That's not parallel, draw a straight line from his knees to his hips.

However, it's definitely not a half squat.

OP, that looks like it's basically your sweet spot. It isn't textbook parallel, but for intents and purposes I'd call that a full rom squat. You aren't competing. It looks like it went up relatively easy, next session I'd try to go just slightly lower just to break the plane. Solid though, keep it up.

Squat deeper.

You need to work on your setup. You look like you're getting some hip impingement from your stance being too narrow. You are also absolutely falling forward ever so slightly. I can see it in your feet in the OP, your feet aren't stable, pushing heavy from the toe, and the ankles are hinged hard which means the bar is off its path. Even with the angle you can see the bar fall forward a bit on the up path. Intra abdominal pressure looks lack luster as well, learn to breath better. See pic related also. Stance, abdominal pressure, hip impingement or all three can be causing this, need to sit into the hole just a bit more.

Watch youtu.be/ZeqEWLvtZJw and listen to what he says, look at your video again, and you should be able to see what Im talking about.

Your form is bretty good OP. Minor tweaks.

You can go way lower you faggot nigger

Thanks, I've been watching these videos, looking forward to fixing this next leg day. I legit thought my form was good.

you get great depth considering that you're using a lot of ankle flexion to get down, if you widen your knees you will be able to go deeper and it will be much easier

>See pic related also. Stance, abdominal pressure, hip impingement or all three can be causing this, need to sit into the hole just a bit more.

do you mean that he should be extending his lumbar more?
for me it gets really hard to do that past parallel. do you counter that by engaging your erectors more?

bump

>The depth of an Olympic squat should not even be a topic of discussion, but because there has been and continues to be discussion among coaches and athletes in sports outside of weightlifting, it warrants at least clarification: proper depth is full depth; full depth means full depth. That is, full depth is not parallel, nor is it breaking parallel—it is squatting to the lowest position possible without surgical alteration of body parts while maintaining correct posture.

>less strain body
>these are the people that give you advice
There's more total strain but it is covering a greater amount of mass.
If you're going to do this, don't do what I did and go straight into the worksets. From my experience, people trying to go into low bar squatting from high bar squatting should at least familiarize themselves with the form with slightly lower weight. I'm talking about doing 90% of what you're already doing for worksets

Why

fuck off low bar is only for queers

die, kys

kennedy fucked up cause he was too deep in his training and ignored the warning signs, continuing to squat 6 days a week and raising the weight

5'2

I don't see a squat in that video

all i see is an autistic dyel

>Olympic squat
Isn't that gee idk a competitive lift?

The olympic squat is just a high bar squat. They're the same things

Wtf are you trolling? Your diagram is so fucking wrong. OP pls don't listen to him about your depth. You go deep enough.

The problem is you're doing gay high bar. Read SS and figure out how to make their squatting style work for you. You'll have an easier time keeping the bar over your mid foot. You're clearly out of balance in your form check. I 10000% am certain that anyone saying low bar isn't comfortable isn't actually performing it right.

So what, a squat needs to be atg every rep or it doesn't count as one rep? That's some retard tier powerlifter shit, non competitive weightlifters and bodybuilders have no reason to go atg all the time.

Judging by the plates he's 5'7-5'9.

Deload.
Don't squat in running shoes, they hamper stability.
You have to stretch your hip joints to go lower without having to lean forward.
You have weak abs evidenced by unstable core during the lift. Front squats done with proper form are a mighty complement and diagnostic of adequate balance.
Knees appear to be moving past toes.
Do box squats.
Also:
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwzyHeAlos&ved=0ahUKEwier8TJgsrVAhWBeCYKHaokBlsQwqsBCCkwAA&usg=AFQjCNF3rnb4lMv0gZH_P1jZJsAV74Xvbw

Also: Elliot is a meme.

Feet are not stable during the lift, heels all over the place instead of flat on the floor . Could be the shoes not helping, but could have some flexibility issues that just don't let them stay in the ground. Only way to know would be if OP uploaded vid doing barefoot squat with no weight.

Hey OP wtf you got long femurs.

I can only do either "close to paralel" or ass to grass, I cannot for my life break the parallel without going too low. wtf is wrong with me.

hey retard

draw the line from his knee cap

back is ok
the weight seems a little too forward
are you sure the weight is on your heels?

Your descent needs more control, you can't just drop to the floor like a ton of bricks without eventually fucking up your knees.

Also you barely hit parallel, if at all. Your form is shit but not because of what the guy said. He's right that you appear to be egolifting.

>that clap and grin at the end

Jesus christ what a fucking twink

It's the opposite, powerlifters only need to reach parallel, while bodybuilders can benefit from going atg, as it activates more quads and glutes

Doesnt seem parralel to me at all, its above parralel

weight should be mid food not heels.
put weight on your heels is a cue, the weight should be in line with the bar.

Your heels are coming up on the concentric portion. You need to keep your weight over heels/midfoot.

why don't people just squat until they can't go any deeper? i hate you

I can diddly around 3plate
Bench 2plates +
ohp 1plate +
But 2 week ago I was squatting 210, I filmed myself, and god my form was shit, like a quarter squat, I was angry so I decided to deload to 155 and go deeper as I could, and thats how I learned to feel a real squat, then I filmed myself again, I was finally below parallel, since this day, I deloaded and started from 155, no shame to deload if your form is shit, you'll look just silly with your actual form

That's not even parallel, what is everyone talking about? You need to hit proper depth.

Lower faggot

Not the guy you replied to, but what if my ATG squat is actually stronger than my powerlifting squat? I have short femur bone (21,6% of my height) and position with my feet closer feels more comfortable whereas powerlifiting squat always leaves me in doubt of depth and with pain in my fibular collateral ligaments.

OP here, this was my third set so yes I may or may not be able to have taken this specific set deeper, I won't know until next leg day. I didn't deload the bar simply because I wanted to film and go, and admittedly unracking the bar felt a little heavy this set.

I'll work on my form, thank you all for the suggestions, I literally cannot do anything else with this thread after reading what has already been said and watching the videos.

I have work so I probably won't be seeing this thread again, so whether you want to watch my shit form and banter some more or let it die your problems. Thanks to everyone for the help, this thread has many great suggestions in the beginning.

That's not "breaking parallel" in my book. Other than that, you're doing fine in this specific attempt. I don't what this "old dude" saw and I don't know if this is a cherry-picked recording. It seems that's your 1RM. Better train in a >3RM range for a compound like this.
Get a decent haircut while you're at it and fucking eat FFS.

low bar squatting isn't squatting.

>olyimpic squat
Are you fucking illiterate? No one is talking about olympic squats here.
Also, no one is impressed by your 1.5pl8 ATG squats

remember to push your knees a bit more forward and loosen up your back. You're doing a good job now but i think you can do better. I also like how you're looking up while squatting, it's where you want to go after all. I think that weight looks light for you, try 325 and see how it goes from there. Please remove those safeties, they only stop you going low enough

nu-fit everybody