How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

Other urls found in this thread:

calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I would just like to say I can't run in this. Fuck. >Low milage week ensues

I've gotten my 1.5 mile time down to 8:17s, how to scratch the last 18-20 seconds?

BUMP for the broom wagon

Why does he look like he's in agony?

nice work!
how do it feel?

Like I still have work to do. Does interval training actually make that big a difference in speed at these distances

Try a bit of everything. Get some hills in, do a bit of sprint work, go long and slow. Check for improvements.

I got to this distance and speed doing more or less that. I run 1.5 miles on a flat course then recover and sprint up a 200 meter hill with 5% grade. Sometimes I run a hillier route but I never did intervals because they sounded too dumb.

Last week I went running 4 times (2 miles), and I couldn't run more than half a mile without stopping. This monday I could run the whole two miles without stopping, gonna try to do 5K today.

Good luck user, the trick is not stopping. If you need a break run slower but always move faster than a walk.

That is good work. Running is effective management of pain and discomfort. If you can handle it and keep going, it's all good.

quick googled quote:
>"Turns out, as all experienced runners know, it's the only question in distance running -- the very heart of competition. Who can best endure the self-imposed, total mind/body ache that goes away if you ease back a little bit? The one who does not give in, the one who endures, even embraces the pain, finishes first."

I used to run before, but stopped for half a year, although I did cycle in the meantime, that's probably why I can get back to it pretty quickly. I'm gonna vary my workouts this time, because last time I plateaued in terms of speed, because I only did the same run 3-5 times a week.

Poof!

I'm new to running and have to ask how important rest days are. I started last tuesday and went running 5 times in total and I fear I may have developed a mild case of shin splints on my right leg. It's a bump on my tibia that hurts when exerting too much pressure on it, but the pain subsides after 5 minutes of running. My first run was 3 km in 17 minutes and improved to 4 km in 22 minutes with no stopping.
Do you also need to have strict rest days between runs if you are new? I just quit smoking and need some way to balance out the missing dopamine and running has been great at keeping me satisfied.

Perfumed Ponce

Slow down. take a rest.

Cycling > running
>Easier on joints
>Get to go fast
>Excellent for a cut

Was just about to comment this also ever since i started taking biking more seriosly my vmo has ben lit up my legs are looking much longer and leaner

What is better for fat loss? Better overall?

Running more frequently smaller distances
or
running less frequently bigger distances?

Probably running more frequently, but really it's whatever burns the most calories. Fat loss is simply burning more calories than you consume.

Also, cycling is better.

> 13 rides to make 195km total
you still riding a tricycle or something ?

I think the best in terms of kcal/time spent would be HIIT, because it makes your body burn more fat even after you're done exercising, plus it gives you cardio gains just like normal running would. The second best would be running, and if we are talking distances above 1 mile, the frequency doesn't really matter, you probably run 3 miles with almost the same intensity as you would 6 miles, so it's the weekly mileage that matters.
In terms of net fat loss, cycling is probably the winner, because even though people usually cycle with less intensity, it's more realistic to burn 800 kcals 5 days a week doing cycling than it is to burn the same amount running, because cycling is less intensive so it's easier to do multiple days in a row.

>you probably run 3 miles with almost the same intensity as you would 6 miles
Well when I run my 'short' 2 mile track, I run faster than I run 5 mile track.
The app I'm using says I burn more on on longer track, but I have doubts about it. Running faster takes way more energy.

Yeah I just assumed that because that's what I did.
Anyway, the app is correct, there is no fucking way you burn more calories running 2 miles than running 5 at a reasonable pace, running 2 miles faster just feels exponentially more exhausting so you assume it must also burn a ton of calories.

how come so many runners are out of shape/fat?

Just a lot of commuting rides. My commute is only 5mi. The commuting is great free cardio tho.

Calories in > Calories out

How many calories you burn is a calculation of how much time you spend at an elevated heart rate. When you run 5mi, you heart rate is probably lower, but it is elevated for a longer period of time. Low intensity, long duration efforts are actually great for fat burning.

calories-calculator.net/Calories_Burned_By_Heart_Rate.html

Plantar Fasciitis lads, on road to recovery. I suspect a change in trainers brought it on. I'm sub 17min 5ker, how long until I lose my conditioning and have to start from the beginning. This is my first injury.

>How far have you run this week?
24.5 Miles starting from Monday. No morning run today (adding the mileage to tomorrow's total due to bad storms this morning), but still have a 6 mile tempo tonight, plus warmup and cooldown.
>What are you working on?
College Freshman trying to make it to Nationals in Cross Country.
>How was your last run?
It was an easy 4 miles last night, so nothing too exciting.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Always gonna recommend muh Saucony Kinvara 7s and Garmin 230.

Cycle is good for commute and nothing else. 30 minutes of running burns more calories and increases your long volume than 30 minutes of cycling.

Yes this! I run a 16.12 min 5k and a 34.20 10k and it fucking hurts, I've just learned to love with the pain.

Distance. You burn approx 1kcal per 1kg of weight for every 1km run... Approximately of course.

How many calories you burn in 30min depends entirely on your average heart rate over that time period and not on the activity.

You do train zones with a HRM, right?

Technically, loss of conditioning starts after about 2 days of no running (though this can be slowed/avoided with proper cross training). It typically coincides negatively with training progress (i.e., if you miss 3 weeks of training you'll typically be at about the fitness level you were 3 weeks before the injury/when you stopped running).

Thanks user, I will still be doing 100kish a week on bike, so hopefully won't lose too much

Honestly you should be fairly fine with that as long as you keep the intensity to a decent level. Heck, I was out for 6-7 weeks with a badly pulled back, and I managed to roughly maintain my fitness through intense water-running and elliptical sessions (though I did lose a bit because I could barely even walk/hobble for a week or two).

I've been doing the couch to 5k program and I did the the first 3 weeks until mid July. I stopped for 3 weeks because I was pulling active +- 17 hours a day at a summer camp as counselor. Then I got 2 injuries on my feet (not related to running, just poor feet hygiene got me a nasty infection and a corn). Because I've feared I lost some muscles I put restoration week for myself.
>3 min running
>1:30 min walking
>3 min running
>1:30 min walking
>3 min running
>1:30 walking
>5 min running
Should I continue this for another week before I come back to week 4 or start week 4 workout today. I've been feeling fine every run.

Im planning to run the Paris marathon on april 2018. Right now i cant even run for 20mn, what do you guys recommand?

True, but for cycling you have to get ridiculous speeds of 25-30 km/h. Enjoy riding yourself into an accident because you also have to watch the road. You're not a huge car but a small object most people don't look at unless you wear a cycling fluo vest

Lower your expectations.

The speed you have to reach to get to a certain heart rate depends entirely on how fit you are, what sort of bike you're on, and what sort of terrain you ride.

You could ride in a velodrome, on a trainer or on a mountain bike.

Personally I live in an area where road biking is really safe and drivers are nice. If I lived in the middle of a city I probably would be a runner.

>mountain bike
fun but dangerous, it's more a hobby than a way to lose weight

But I agree with you and I live in a city and even though there are bike lanes you still have to watch out for other people and when you have a sharp turn or a stop light you need to completely stop. If you run you can stay active and run small back and forth.

Go for week 4. If you start feeling too uncomfortable, you can always repeat a day or go back a week.

Best beginner plan for someone that can run ca 1 km before taking a break?

What the fuck is wrong with people who enjoy running? It's fucking torture.

What apps do you guys use ?

Strava

help me.

i just started running last week and i think i may be the shittiest runner on the entire planet. my best so fat is a 13:30 mile and i threw up after that. in my defense, im an asthmatic (like on a daily inhaler) and a woman but still, i feel like running is not for me but i want to keep with it so bad. anyone else start off so extremely slow/awful at running have tips?

he was runnin

It's shitty for everybody at start. But rewards are huge.
>bigger lung capacity
>more endurance to anything like pain and discipline
>healthy if you do it outside
>helps if you cut calories
Try the couch to 5k plan and run at the lowest setting.

fuck off roids fag

>Does interval training actually make that big a difference in speed at these distances
Yes.

If' you're not doing interval training, then you're most likely missing out on training your lactic threshold and, your VO2, your Anaerobic capability, and your speed.

thanks. any reason running outside is healthier? currently running on the treadmill until i get better.

Defer for a year

how does it feel knowing cardio isnt universal ya dumb hoes

trying to meet the recommended standards for ranger school, how do i run a 12 minute two mile?

Work up to running at least 30-45 minutes 5-6 days per week.

One day run a long run of at least an hour.

One day run comfortably hard for 20-30 minutes.

One day run intervals of 200-400 meters at goal pace or faster with full recoveries.

Most days end your run with some striders as fast as you can run relaxed for 50-100m.

I also started on a treadmill. I prefer running because it's outside with a sun blazing on me and being in a park and inhaling fresh air. I just feel better when I do that. No more bullshit numbers about how many km I ran, how fast I'm going or checking how many calories i'm burning. Just me, my watch, my playlist and me doing interval in the park.

I know that feel user, I run around a lake way outside the city, the air is fucking unbelievable

got me new shoes today. cant w8 to go running in em

Couch to 5k app (there are loads to choose from), start on week 4/5 if it is too easy or hard jump a week forwards or backwards until you're comfortable and then go from there

Need a review of my training...

Training for my first marathon in 9 weeks.
Been a 20-25km a week runner now for 18 months.
Have run a few unnofical half marathons.

My training consists of
1x11km tempo
1x19km tempo (+2.5km every week)
1x7km HIIT
1x7km recovery
2xdays weights/cross train
1xrest
Stretch and rolling/yoga daily

Plan is to build my long run to 35km 2 weeks before the race then scale back to 25km per week and not run 2-3 days before the day.

Thoughts?

y'all wear any fitness watches? I'm looking for something that works with Strava but most Android Wear watches are shit.

I just use an old Android phone for my workout backup. You jealous of my good/notes taker/music device all in one? Watches are a gimic.

Fuck I want to get my 1.5mile down below 9min at least. How do I do This? What running plan are you following?

You've been doing this for a while? 2 tempos + HIIT on back to back days sounds like too much.
I'd switch one tempo for an easy run (faster than recovery but not strenuous either), and maybe switch around a bit the order

it sucks to hold one while you're running and in my pocket it just flops around and hits my dick. watches are far superior for running.

Garmin 230 is a pretty good watch; it's what I use and it works with Strava.

I know it's late but make sure you're incorporating sprints into your workouts. Hill sprints are king.

About to finish Hal Higdon, been running solo the whole time, probably going to do the 13 miles at the high school track weather permitting.
Any advice for it? Should I eat some pasta stuff/bread the night before to carb load?
Am I going to make it?

Get good

My times suck. 13 miles at 1:54. Though in my defence I am jetlagged, tired and running in 27 degree heat at 82% humidity. But still! Fuck sake. AND it's a low milage week because reasons like travel and shit, but mostly stupid weather (missed a run yesterday due to 37+ degree heat, fuck that).

First time doing fartleks and holy fucc, that is some gay shit
I love it
also fucking CRs on Strava, I wanna fucking die

Can't do fartlek simply because it is a silly word. I refuse to train doing something with a silly name.

>inb4 jogging

I'm actually curious about what some of the guys in here do for prep before long runs/races as well. I fucked myself up last weekend and I'd like to avoid that again.

Dude 1:54 for 13 ain't bad, at least imo

It is pretty funny. I occasionally have to try not to laugh, although it's not as bad as the time when I was doing squats and just kept repeating rippletits in my head for each set. Barely made it through squats that day

I live on carbs. Rice mostly. Some pasta. Bread doesn't do it. Potato is good too.

Prep involves.. erm. eating right, resting and warm ups I suppose. Not that I do warm ups. I just start slow and build up over the time I am out.

Recovery is bread related. Naan breads, doughnuts, fluids. Some stretches. Not enough though I am a bit of a spastic when it comes to stuff like that.

>reasons to feel like OPs pic
Got no discipline because I am not training for anything specific other than upping my miles and endurance.

Maybe a bit of discipline. 30-40 miles a week needs discipline and focus on diet and recovery to survive.

I'll check those out, thanks

I used to go cycling to the gym and always would be shocked to see people riding static inside..I literally cried every time specially since it was a cheap municipal gym that was for use 2 hours a day max...

Welcome lad. You join the Strava group yet?

So get one of those dumb arm bands or something. I just hold it in my hand because i can use my gps pace calculator to watch my pace, time, and distance.

What's the Strava thing for? How do you use it and for what? I use another app for tracking my runs and don't know why to use Strava. Is it like a chat room so I can troll people? Why wouldn't I just stay here?

it's basically just a /run/ general with everyone from here, and run tracking, and leaderboards, and posts and shit
kinda cute

You can use it to track runs itself, or even upload your runs to it from your watch/other app. You can shitpost and make topics/threads yah. It also has a leaderboard with top 10 in the group by distance. It's honestly a ton of fun, lots of good lads in there.

I have to admit ive always enjoyed the slower long runs. How did I do, lads?

Watch out for any suspicious looking Muslims, it wouldn't be the first time they blew up a marathon.

>Tfw tore a ligament in my leg
>Cant run for weeks
Is there anything i can do with basically my upper body so i can still keep some od my cardio?

You probably dislike running because you only experienced it in a setting where you were forced to do it, e.g. in gym class, and you probably weren't really good at it, like you had to stop, or got aches in the side of your stomach. It's actually fairly enjoyable when you do it out of your own volition.

>just use a phone and get an armband instead of getting a watch that accomplishes the same thing in a much smaller form factor because I want to feel smart by calling watches a gimmick

I signed up with my real name/email. Not sure if I will.

Thats not the order

Im 4 weeks in and started my long run at 13km for two weeks and will be my half marathon this weekend

So
Sat: 21km
Sun: weights
Mon:7km recovery
Tues: 7km HIIT
Wed:weights
Thurs: 11km Temp
Friday: rest, eat drink, be merry

And back to a long run all of friday nights calories to keep me going

As you suggested i might drop the pace on the 11km a little, last thing I want is an injury, i prefer to be cautious about this stuff which is why a do so much recovery.
Cheers

I have run a about 6 half marathons and have literally never done one without a hangover.

Something like ??

how did you do?

Nice job, man. How do you feel?

Just take your training slow and easy. Do most of your runs at a pace where you can easily hold a conversation. You still have 7-8 months of training so you should be fine. Look up a proper marathon training plan that starts from scratch.

Don't have any time in mind for this marathon, the goal should just be to finish. If it ends up taking you 5 hours then so be it. That's still better than the 99% who can't be bothered getting off their fat arses in the first place.

Also, are you a Frog? Because quite a few Brits get caught out by the fact that you need a doctor's certificate before being allowed to run races in France. Although I know people who have faked them and have still raced.

Have you tried couch 2 5k? I've never done it but I know it works for a lot of people. When I first started running I was pushing 20st and could only slowly jog for 1 minute then walk for 2 mins etc.. Then I'd run for 1:30 walk for 1:30 and so on. Now I've done ultras and am on the cusp of a sub 1:25 HM and sub 18:00 5k. If I can do it then most people can.

Hey
recently I did my first run with a metronome ( actually just a 180 bpm beep that I fused with my music ) and it feels great to follow the rhythm , my usual cadence seemed to be a bit under 90 but not really far , I had no problem following the rythm after like 2 km .
I did my 10-13 km at comfy level of effort and I feel like my run was way smoother than usual , felt way better in the legs and breath , it also allowed me to have a good breathing pattern in harder part like uphill where following the 90 cadence was a bit harder .

I'm wondering if changing it to a 190 bpm ( 95 cadence ) beep would be a good idea ?

I actually dont feel too tired. Its just my legs that are bothering me. Im sure ill be fine in the morning. During the day when the sun's out I get fatigued significantly quicker than at night. 60 degrees at night vs 65 during the day can make all of the difference.

Its too bad I saw this one shady character at the track, he was probably just drunk and was singing into the night but it still made me uneasy. I probably would have left if this other guy who was running there as well didnt show up.