Panic Attack General

Panic Attack General

Why do you get them? And when do you get them.

you can literally logic your way out of them.

How so?

Agreed. I used to have several a day in my early to late teens. By the time I hit 20 they stopped. Eventually, I just told myself to stop being a pussy and that I wasn't dying and even if I was it'd be better than suffering. I also learned to breathe correctly. Cured.

I never had any until a bad LSD trip during which I had a panic attack at the age of 26. It's been a year and I get them occasionally now, usually if I've had a coffee or smoked any weed.

Doesn't work bro. You can do your best to remain calm and just remember it's a panic attack, but it doesn't stop the sweaty feeling or the pounding in your chest feeling like you're going to have a heart attack.

Not this user, but I disagree based on personal experience. You can certainly recognize the symptoms as they begin and talk yourself down per

Used to have serious panic attacks about dying, often in public places.
Started to read philosophy, fixed it after a year.

To get out of panic attack mode I just started exercising daily and telling myself that if I couldn't push through them and keep living my life then I would rather be dead. Wishing death upon my weaknesses eventually killed them.

I try user, mentally I don't panic but physically the symptoms don't stop.

I had one a month or two ago and I was doing nothing out of the ordinary other than shitposting.

Suddenly I felt my heart start to beat stronger and faster, I realized it was an attack coming on so I tried to just relax. My heart kept beating harder and faster and I was sweating and feeling short of breath, I tried to meditate through it but it didn't help. I just sat and let it run it's course.

This.

Panic attacks just show that you cant control the basic functions of being a human. Honestly alot of these "attacks" can be solved by telling yourself to just stop. Only a weak minded individual says "i cant stop" you can you just dont want to.

I had my first ever panic attack in a university Calc III class last year. I got a 42% on the first test, after I had just gotten bad grades in a couple other classes. I was really fucking scary honestly, my heart just started beating really fast and I like retreated into my own head for a minute and my thoughts were racing.

Fuck those things I hate them.

I still get them pretty bad, not as bad as I used to, mind. Used to end up in my parent's room screaming and begging for the pain to end.

Now it just makes me feel anxious for an hour or so, or have to pace around. Going to a psychologist definitely helped.

I get panic attacks about dying at night before bed usually. It sucks and i just tell myself to sack up and face the void. Welcome to being a human. Having enough consciousness to know you wont have it forever. Fucking great. Now go lift

Simply accept your impending death and insignificance in the universe. In fact, embrace it. When you and I die nobody will care and even those who do will be irrelevant and as forgotten as you within two generations.

Used to get panic attacks abut death, don't anymore.

It's fine really. You don't know you're dead while you're dead. Besides, I've already found out what it's like to be dead negative infinite time, so I'm sure I can handle being dead for another ininity of time.

Another thing that helps is that you have literally zero, LESS than zero control over the certainty of death. You could dread it all you want, it's still coming. But what that means is you should try and get the most out of life, rather than focus on death. After all, life is about life, not death.

Its how i try to live by being on a taiwainese tiger shrimp fishing image board.

not him, but with practice you can analyze what's causing the panic and shed some light on its irrational basis. for instance, i'm sleep deprived and a bit loopy. earlier today i got my mail and tossed it on my kitchen counter, i remember doing so very clearly. later on i threw something away, went shopping, and came back. went to get the mail off the counter and couldn't find it. turns out it was in the trash. it freaked me the fuck out because i clearly remember putting it on the counter and swore i didn't pick it up to throw away. i checked all the rooms in my house to see if someone was in there and fucking with me. and then, of course, i calmed down and talked myself through the logic of the situation. how i was sleepy, how stupid it was to assume someone broke in, how faulty our memories are even on a good day, etc.

i used to be an extremely nervous and paranoid person about all sorts of things. i can't help the initial reaction but i've learned how to calm down enough to think things through.

another technique is to try to convince yourself that you aren't actually panicking but are just really excited. your body will react to a scary situation regardless of your attitude toward it (like skydiving.) get into a habit of reminding yourself that you're doing exactly what you want to be doing, that you're having fun, that the anxiety is part of the experience, etc. it ain't easy, but it can be done with practice

i rarely get them but usually its when im doing conditioning and im sick which is like a hand full of times in my life but the mucus in my throat adds to the distress and i start choking as my throat is tightening up. its odd to describe but its annoying at first then its terrifying as you begin to get dizzy and light headed while gasping for air like a fish outta water.

From when I was diagnosed with dysthmia at 15 to 25 I would get them 3-6 times a year. Bad ones too, really, really, bad. But eventually they just sort of stopped coming. Even things like failing tests, the general feeling I'm a failure that weighs on me constantly, the stuff that triggers them really doesn't anymore. I'm not sure why, I suppose my answer isn't really helpful but hey people with depression and anxiety who get panic attacks, you just might grow out of it.

female age 10-25 near me

My problem is I don't even realise they're panic attacks until later. I always think I'm actually having heart attacks. I've been able to tell when they are coming on sometimes and stop them but that's rare.
>Doesn't help that when I tense up my left arm hurts

When i am in the sea, like +50m from the shore. And 10m far from any close person. Those are pretty bad because i know that i can legit die

Only had one when I was woken up by the sound of a garbage truck emptying out containers around 5 am when staying over at a friend's house. It literally sounded like the earth was splitting combined with nuclear warheads exploding in my ass and the fact that it pulled me out of my very deep sleep caused my whole body to start shaking as I was in sleep paralysis. After I snapped out of sleep paralysis and could get up to look out of the window I realised that there was in fact no apocalypse happening outside.

Meditation has helped me a lot. If I get one, I go to a quiet place and meditate.

You can literally not drown in the sea if you know how to float, which is just breathing in a little deeper than usual. Just 2 weeks ago I swum 100m from the shore while a storm was raging 25km from the shore which made the waves huge. When I got out of the water I realised the lifeguard had put up the do not enter the water flag, and everyone had been watching me the whole 20 minutes stupifiedly. The lifeguard begged me to not enter the water anymore, as he wouldn't be able to rescue me if he had to.

Kek

been doing steady cbt and some on and off therapy for about 2 years, have critical anxiety and panic disorder like symptoms, never been fully diagnosed but also refuse to take meds. cbt and therapy help the most, sometimes though you just must accept its a chemical imbalance and try to ride it out. (phyical symptons of anxiety kill me, vertigo, nausea, poor eyesight)
exercise, vitamin D, cbt, and dropping drugs/alcohol helped the most. maintaining a regular sleep schedule is pretty damn crucial too, even though some days i may not sleep at all.

we're gonna make it

When I was younger they'd hit me because too much weed/espresso.
I don't get them anymore though so that's good.

First there are other people present.
Then my stomach gurgles
Then I begin to fear that I will fart and they will smell it
Then I begin to panic
Then the panic upsets my stomach
Finally it ends up an immediate urge to shit and fart everywhere while panicking

I can see you taking a huge hit off your vape as you post this

this thread is full of so many edgelords

i think most people here are talking about their autism symptoms, like someone touched their shoulder or a loud car went by on the street and it upset them

>Why
Several bad experiences flying.

>When
Whenever I am in a confined space with other people.

You have to remember that panic is not in your conscious mind. You cannot choose to panic. It is the unconscious mind that controls it. Your conscious mind notices it, but can't do much about it, which is why you get that out of control feeling. You can retrain your unconscious via incremental exposure therapy but that is a bit difficult to do with planes unless you happen to be Howard Hughes.

i wish you would get so high that you can't post

Had my first and only panic attack on my 3rd date with my current gf. We were at a bar and these drunk dudes kept bumping into our table and I started to get extremely observant about everything, my eyes were just darting from one thing to the next all around the place. My breathing started to get faster and faster and I couldn't really understand what she was saying anymore, and my vision started to get fuzzy. Eventually I forgot who I was talking to and where I was and just had this overwhelming feeling that I was dying. Thank God she's an amazing person, she noticed that I was freaking out something bad and we went back to her apartment and she comforted me and we talked while I cried and slowly calmed down. It surprised me so much that she stayed. The panic attack was a pretty horrible experience but that's when I realized that I loved her.

Pretty much exclusively when I smoke weed. I somehow convince myself that I just contracted some kind of anxiety disorder and that im going crazy and that I'm going to feel super anxious forever.

I have never had one. I've been in the military, gone to college, been married for a long time, and have kids. I've never felt a 'panic attack'. Is it normal for people to get these nowadays?

It's a real thing but I think a lot of people assume it's just a meme and describe the experience of anxiety as a "panic attack."
A real panic attack though is unmistakable you are convinced that you are literally dying right then and there.

It's when your body goes in extreme fight-or-flight and you feel like you are dying, heart rate rises, sweat, vision blurs, and you start to get delirious.
Some people start shaking and such too.
They aren't terribly uncommon, it comes from trauma sometimes and from other things as well.

Personally I'm depersonalized so if I get into a large open area or around a bunch of people I know I start to feel real and my body decides to feel like it's dying and it's harder and harder to see and to have complex thought.

i've always struggled with severe anxiety and panic attacks.

as i grew older, i developed defeatism and learned helplessness. this canceled out my panic attacks.

i expect terrible things to happen, but i have no energy to fight. i just accept the cruel fate that awaits me.

>been doing steady cbt
I didn't know you could treat panic attacks with cock and ball torture

I tend to get them after a night drinking in public. Even if nothing I did or said was embarrassing, I still feel like something went wrong. It involves grabbing my chest, sweating, hyper ventilating, exc. Not a good time.

When my family goes out with a third party and they forgot their phones.

Like tonight.

I'm gonna fucking scream or call the police. I love them so much. I hope they're okay.

My ex had these. Fucking annoyed the hell out of me. Dumped her ass i wasnt going to deal with that shit all she had to do was be normal and she couldn't even do that

I get em when i get suicidal. It's a vicious cycle too
>suicidal urge
>get panic attack because i can't do anything without think of ways to off myself
>get depressed because i'm a freak
>repeat
It's absolute shit, but generally once you can calm yourself down and just let it subside slowly, i'm more functional.
Best advice though, cut out coffee, learn some breathing exercises, and if you feel stressed out due to workplace/uni/etc. Then try to go home and organize yourself better, usually if you can structure everything, it will feel more controllable and therefore easier to manage/destress.

It's hard, it will take time to go away if not alleviate some, but keep at it and you'll get there. Trust me, i've been trying for a decade (literally) since my first diagnosis, and i'm finally making it away from the severe times, you can make it too.

How do you know if its a panic attack?
Sometimes I get like autism chills or some kind of anxiety when I try socializing but I just power through them. I wonder if people notice.

im the one who threw it in the garbage. you're house is a mess

i recently realized that a lot of my anxiety and insecurity and fear in life revolves around me assuming that if i completely lived my life my way eventually i'd face fantastical consequences, even while most of my goals are internally driven and rewarded anyway
should i follow this line of thought? it gives me a life path but it's one that focuses heavily on on let's say 'small niche' interests

does it include things like vision going red? and literal flight behaviors?

Second user you are talking about, no it doesn't get red.
It's gets increasingly fuzzier and closes in, giving me less field of vision.
Curious what you mean by literal flight behaviors.

Flight is the feeling of wanting to run away from a threat :)