Martial Arts/Combat Sports General

Been practicing a martial art?
Started boxing?
Discuss your recent achievements and things you've learned.
Motivate yourself and others.

I recently joined the Jiu Jitsu club at my university.
I've only had two lessons, so I haven't really learnt much yet..

Is it possible to train for boxing whilst also lifting without losing muscle mass?

I just practice punching in my room. Keep throwing punches until I'm either out of breath or I start feeling muscle cramps.

I started off just having fun and it's kind of grown into an obsession. I highly recommend to anyone to at least give a martial art a try.
>come home one night after smoking with roommate
>for fun, roommate suggests I throw punches at him to see if he can dodge
>start of slow. he can't
>my turn. I can't
>end up doing this for over an hour
>it's extremely fun and challenging
>keep doing it consistently over the weeks
>start adding in combinations, weaves, counters, take downs/defense, footwork, etc... for variety
>get mitts, gloves, and headgear to spar and practice hitting harder
>start practicing in the park for more room
>occasionally meet a curious passerby and let them join
>get to the point we're able to have actual sparring sessions with each other
>several months pass by. never have I felt so confident, solid, and fluid
>decide to step up my game and join a boxing gym
>walk in, meet awesome group of regulars who ask if I'd like to spar
>get my ass kicked
>mfw there's always someone better

Combat sports are pretty much useless tho.

wow, it's almost like those who practice actual boxing are better at boxing than those who just LARP it

that's the problem if you are self taught, you don't see all the small mistakes and what you are doing wrong and you form shitty habits

wow, it's almost like that's exactly what I was going for.

it literally wasn't though

How's that meme go again? There are two kinds of people:
1. Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data...

Started kickboxing about 2 months ago, finally getting better at keeping my guard up.

You are a dense fuck.

nice mem

Boxing is literally a contest to who will brain damages the other the most and you can't say I'm wrong.
Do grappling.

I did 3 years of Kungfu, then 3 years of just sparring with dudes from my University from all different types of schools. Recently I moved back into my hometown so I'm thinking about picking up Kungfu again. They have some MMA related courses now with more emphasis on full contact fighting, so that's a plus.
Ohh and a few weeks ago I had a full day Krav Maga Seminar. It was pretty fun. I really like the simplicity of it.

>I just practice punching in my room. Keep throwing punches until I'm either out of breath or I start feeling muscle cramps.
Sorry but that's entirely useless. At least get a punching bag. Otherwise it is an futile exercise which might even trick you into thinking you know how to throw a punch.

Been doing muay thai for about 1 and a half years,only just got confident enough to spar and holy shit it is the most fun you can have. Also started Bjj and mma grappling about two weeks ago,definatly worth picking up if you havent already.

Is that not the point of fighting?

Just keep at it lad,its better to train with a better fighter and get your ass kicked. Just ask them to go slower and ask for some places that you can improve.

>Had a full day krav maga seminar
What did you do during it?
Been tempted to take a beginner course that's available near where I live next month.

I will soon lads.
I plan on doing a circuit of a few different fighting clubs around me. Boxing, judo, muay thai, kick boxing.
I'll start soon hopefully, when i grow balls

>Got complemented by a coach while hitting the bag
I'm gonna make it.

Yes.

I started out a 6 foot 155lbs skelly. Im currently 200 starting my first cut. Do weights first if you are doing both in the same day, or your intensity will go down for weights. The trick here is to eat more. If you wanna get big you gotta eat big.
Weights gave me the muscles, boxing and muay thai gave me the confidence. Would 10/10 highly recommend every time. I see my old friends now and they literally say "holy shit" when they see me