How in the fuck is this dude respected as a strength coach?

How in the fuck is this dude respected as a strength coach?

>every successful lifter realizes Rippetoe is wrong
>gets a starting strength certification

this video was painful to watch

>every successful lifter realizes rippetoe is wrong

oh yeah?

>Rippetoe is wrong

About what?

Sage

>unbalanced minimalist training
>bad and plain wrong cues/form
>has never coached an elite lifter

>low bar squats
>incorrect power clean form
>has said that every male needs to eat 4k calories MINIMUM on a strength program

>every successful lifter realizes Rippetoe is wrong

I've never done SS and I never would, but you haven't the slightest clue what you're talking about if you think this

>dismissing the fact Rippetoe also worked with Kilgore to obtain facts
>Kilgore has PhD in anatomy and physiology. Had lifted 10 years at national level
>kids on Veeky Forums care about bodybuilding only and blames Rippltits for teaching strength routine only

And kids don't understand that you need a basic level of strength for progressions in a good physique.

But he's wrong about some things, like his claim that oly lifters should do lowbar, his retarded "elbows up" que that will only cause upper back rounding, and his even more retarded claim that rows are unneccesary. I'm not saying he's bad, but he's not something extraordinary either.

the beard is ridiculously stupid

>those pregnant gorilla tits

No wonder his bench sucks

Rippetoe's approach isn't perfect but it's 1000% better than sticking beginners on some overcomplicated bodybuilding shit when they can't even squat 200lbs

Alan Thrall is a respected strength coach?

>>every successful lifter realizes Rippetoe is wrong

What you actually mean is:

>people don't understand that a program that literally has "starting" in the name isn't supposed to be done indefinitely, so they blame Rippetoe for their own failure to read one fucking word

IDK, most of Veeky Forums seems to do strength train, it's just that every time you try to talk about any training that isn't bodybuilding a few vocal DYEL idiots start screaming about T-rex mode and rippletits.

Most of Veeky Forums doesn't even lift, let alone that it would matter whether they 'train for strength or aesthetics'.

>r*ddit beardman
>respected strength coath

oh yeah?
show me your successfull lifter badge RIGHT NOW

SS is an ideal program for high school football players, but all it takes is some brain cells to adjust the program to your liking. Maybe you want to increase the bench frequency. Maybe you want to eat less than 4k calories. Treat it as a template and make it work for you.

The only thing I took from SS was a focus on compounds, progressive overload, and staying in the 1-5 rep range. I found different cues on the internet that worked better for me than Rippetoe's cues. The book has a lot of cool anatomy pictures that I found educational about the lifts.

Why are you even defending SS

Those are the basics of any strength program

fuck no its not. No athlete serious about their sport should do SS

there are lots of better programs for athletes of any skill level. WS4SB, TJM, 531 so many.

It barely werks but that was enough for a clueless noob like me to get started in the right direction. I could be a lot more strict with the diet but the program is basically retard-proof with the hardest part being figuring out form. I slightly increased volume because my body didn't respond well to 5 reps but SS was invaluable to me

If only I could figure out power cleans and diddly form then I'd be pretty satisfied with my routine

Your alphabet soup methods are a joke and are only done by people who want to be fancy. 531 is an abortion of a routine that literally does nothing except give you a lot of rest, try again fatty

>his retarded "elbows up" que that will only cause upper back rounding

How do you hold the bar in place without that? Wouldn't the weight be resting on your forearms if you kept your elbows perpendicular to the floor?

LOL what a fucking retard

>method written by strength coach for nfl players is a joke
>method written by record holding powerlifter and pro strong man is a joke
>doesn't understand that 531 is a very basic template that can be manipulated

keep doing your shitty 5x3s and looking like shit while creating muscle imbalances

Almost every program is a template. That way they can give you excuses when you fail and not hurt the reputation of the program. Holy shit, this is basic shit.

you are an absolute cretin

juggernaut method is written by a guy who squatted 900+ and has trained IPF champions and professional athletes

SS is written by a fat geologist

5/3/1 is written by a former world class powerlifter

SS is written by a fat geologist

>tldr ss is over hyped and ripple tits is a pretentious faggot
>also legs are overrated

i really can't believe he actually said that

ahahahahahahahahahahaha

It's truly amazing how dyels on Veeky Forums TRULY believe that starting strength and rippetoe is like the absolutely pinnacle of fitness and lifting altogether. That other programs don't exist, and cannot possibly be better or even MATCH the depth of Starting Strength(tm).

He's referring to squat form. Elbows up helps you to hold the bar on your back in the low position. The retard you're replying to probably has no flexibility in his upper body.

You actually have that backwards.

If you don't powerlift/strength train then you're called an idiot and pointed towards some babbys first powerlifting routine?

God help you if you say you just do calisthenics and want to discuss it.

Most of Veeky Forums trains for aesthetics.
Most of the people who have lifted consistently lifted for over 5 years lift for strength,

How come that guy knows his shit but looks like shit?
I basically did compounds with few acessories aka SS and I look way better than him, solely on like lessa year of dirty bulking and two years(yes, real slow and some fuck ups) of cutting

It's fucking hilarious when they come back in a few months bitching about how they're still fat (or fatter than when they started) and bench 165.

He's also weak and fat as fuck.

He's been training for like 10 years and his numbers are pathetic.

especially for his weight. he has to weigh around 250

? Provided you are eating enough why would you stall at low weights? Even benching twice/once a week alternating?

what are his numbers?

his squat is 505 which is pretty good, dunno why Veeky Forums hates him so much. He isn't trying to be world class or anything, he just genuinely enjoys lifting and the lifting world.

It's his stupid beard that everyone dislikes

Yes but his beard at this point is iconic in his youtube profession, stupid or not. It's probably the only reason he keeps it.

because it has fuck all upper body volume and no method of progression other than herp add weight

Are you retarded or something. Having the elbows excessively far back/up leads to rounding of the back.

>faggot nerds start lifting
>they dogmatically argue for routines with all the fury of a console war vet

Nerds ruin everything

Are you retarded ? I squatted 185 kg with elbows back no back rounding and I bet your faggot as s can't even squat 3pl8

Reminder that 99% of the people shitting on SS ITT can't even squat 3pl8. This is achievable in 6-9 months on SS for an absolutely untrained novice. Keeping doing advanced programs as a novice, retards.

> 531 is an abortion of a routine that literally does nothing except give you a lot of rest

5/3/1 requires autoregulation you boob
FSL, Joker sets and back off sets and whatever.
This shit got me to 1pl8 OHP, don't you dare talk shit.

People who quote but put a linebreak after the quote have autism

Oh pot.
You know better that.

So I've watched the video. What I've noticed in general is that western coach use the midthigh position as a cue to jump, where as russians teach to slam the bar into your midthigh.

Alan isn't a good coach irl, he isn't encouraging this guy enough and is acting like a tough guy sperg

Elbows back fucks up my shoulders hard
I just press the bar to my body trying to bend it nowadays

>rippetoe uses scientific methods and studies to formulate his arguments and training styles
>angry guys on Veeky Forums claim he's objectively wrong with no solid retort

It's a reddit thing, really

I think it becomes second nature desu, senpai. I know I shouldnt do it while posting on Veeky Forums. ^^but ^^i ^^still ^^do

>I can not find a retort to the argument so I will therefore attempt to mock the debater

but what if he's wrong?

Similar thing here.
Like Chris Duffin, Ed Coan, CWS and other legit lifters say I bend bar into me and squeeze my triceps towards the middle of my back. Gets me super tight.
Elbows up never made sense to me. You have to find the cues that work for you.

Meant to say elbows, not triceps, but it still kinda applies.

hes respected by beginner lifters who don't know better (but think they do)

>weakest in his group at strongman
>shit at powerlifting
>looks like spilled milk

One of his lifters just had a 1,000lbs Squat as a 17 year old. Granted, he's a fat fuck, but he still did it. How is that not elite? What about all the guys squatting 600 and deadlifting 700? Or are you only talking about his power clean cues?

>elbows up

He's clarified multiple times that the cue isn't to lift the elbows very high, but just high enough for stability. People exaggerate the cue and that's where problems occur.

Can anyone explain why everyone follows rippleshit instead of bill starr?

>rippetoe basically copied off him
>high bar squats instead of hip draaaahve
>actually an elite athlete himself, competed in the olympics
>actually coached elite lifters, was the US olympic weightlifting coach back when they were actuall good
>strength and conditioning coach for SMU, unviersity of hawaii, unviersity of maryland and johns hopkins football teams
>strength and conditioning coach for baltimore colts and houston oilers

find me 1 (one) bodybuilder who started by doing starting strength

Rip's 5 step deadlift is like, -the- way to deadlift. Also he teaches the bench, the press, and the lowbar squat well. SS should be ditched after 3 months, 6 months max, doesn't mean it's bad. Alan Thrall is entertaining and makes good content.

Nobody follows either, because even Bill Starr recommends you to eat shitloads if you actually read both of his books. Meanwhile people nowadays have a huge fear of even losing their abs for a month or two the media has fucked the young.

hated /ss/

found gslp or nsuns to be more fun

I ran SS up to a 2pl8 bench, 3.5pl8 squat, and 5pl8 (that's not a typo, I have very long arms) deadlift in 2011 when I started lifting

it's still a mediocre program, if I could go back I would have done something with more upper body volume
you don't, though, this is a meme

every swole guy in your gym probably jumped right into a suboptimal brosplit and did just fine

it is entirely possible to add weight to the bar in an aesthetics oriented routine with more volume - you may not be at 315 squat as quickly squatting 4x8 instead of 3x5, but you can still get there

Starr's stuff was designed to be highly minimalist to teach teams how to lift. That's why he chose only:

Power Cleans
Bench
Squats

>
it is entirely possible to add weight to the bar in an aesthetics oriented routine with more volume - you may not be at 315 squat as quickly squatting 4x8 instead of 3x5, but you can still get there

Literally this, massive thing people don't understand at all. Yeah maybe it will take you 2 years instead of 1 but it really doesn't matter if you're in it for the long haul

The original routine was
Monday
Power clean
Bench
Squats

Wednesday
Power clean
Incline bench
Squats

Friday
Power clean
Overhead press
Squat

nerds on Veeky Forums like to create this false dichotomy between strength and size oriented programming

training for size as a natural lifter will make you strong because progressively increasing mechanical tension is a core tenet of muscle gain, and training for strength necessitates that you get big (which is why real PLs, not starting strength forum aspies, train with loads of volume or even do dedicated hypertrophy blocks and get as big as possible for their weightclass)

i hate this fucking place but i need the shitposts, they sustain me

ITT
Guys who taught themselves to lift argue over an actual coaches technique.

>gets a starting strength certification
Is that where your lower body is officially certified as being 2x as thick as your upper body? Because god damn that guy looks like his entire routine is literally just squats, leg press, glute bridges, and leg extensions.

His upper body doesn't even look trained, and his lower body looks like an Instagram sloot that didn't realize all the other sloots got implants and took squatting too seriously for like 5 years.

I have been trained by many oly coaches, and i can say that that form is shit.

But Rippetoe has said that his power clean is suited for his program and i get that. But nobody who wants to succes in oly lifts should do it that way.

He's a fat retard just like every strongman who has ever existed

>Low bar squats are a meme
>Squatting 3 times a week as a beginner is a meme
>Benching 1.5 times a week is a meme
>treating OHP as a main lift and not an accessory is a meme
>being told that getting fat while running SS is a positive thing is a meme
>not doing rows is a meme
>the Texas Method is meme for upper body, literally no one but rippetoe recommends this program

Anyone who talks shit about SS, please post your body.

I've never seen anyone who actually looks good talking shit about SS or anything really.

Shit talkers are always DYEL.

>>unbalanced minimalist training
um... have you read the book? SS has a lot of accessories you do after your main lifts

rippetoe does not recommend Texas method. he literally says not to do it unless you are 16-22 or on steroids

I bet you look awful and aren't strong.

Can someone breakdown the difference between the Texas method and something like PHAT & PHUL because to me they all look like programs where one day you concentrate on strength and one day you concentrate on hypertrophy.

Texas method is about having volume, light and intensity day. Have you even read about it?

I would post a picture of my body to prove you wrong, but I could be identified based on my scars (used to be involved with a fight club, stabbed multiple times) and my gang affiliated tattoos from when I spent 10 years in one of the toughest prisons in the country.

I know your type, though. You think because you can squat and deadlift heavy that you're a big guy with an impressive physique. I have built plenty of muscle without those autistic lifts. You probably think you're superior because you follow the routines of a fat little redneck man with no real knowledge of building muscular or strength.

hi Jason

surprisingly good post

your post is proof that's not the case

Alan "the tard" Thrall is a huge fagot and nobody should even listen to him.
He has accomplish nothing, he hasnt come up with nothing, even his ques and techniques are all wrong and stupid (like the butt wink).
He is just a jobless fagot who is runnin his yap on the tubes for a quick cash grab.
FUCK HIM.

I remember when I first started out watching one of this videos on deadlifting in which he said not to drop your hips. Turned my deadlifts into back snaps for my first two months of lifting.

Thanks fat Alan.

1pl8 OHP is piss easy bro. Can you OHP your bodyweight?

I've a filter automatically hiding any post with more than 3 non-consecutive double line breaks
sadly it's barely enough to fight redditors

TM is so shit not even Mark Rippetoe recommends it, nor do most of the coaches on the SS forums

if that group of mongoloids think a program is a heap of shit most people should probably avoid it

The fact that you're irritated by it shows that you're the one with autism.

Nigger he wrote a book about the TM

how is guy in the middle respectable coach?

yall just mad cuz ya train tamed

>a fat geologist
you mean this guy in the picture? this guy right here?

>starr.jpg

Rippletits got most of his initial information from Bill Starr and Doug Hepburn

The Texas Method invented by the head coach of Mark's own gym, who produced 20 Oly medalists in 10 years? That Texas Method or is there another one I'm less familiar with that people don't recommend?