I just witnessed what an average American eats on a daily basis. Jesus what atrocities I have seen

I just witnessed what an average American eats on a daily basis. Jesus what atrocities I have seen.

Care to share said atrocities?

I remember when mcdonalds had donuts. They were just simple glazed donuts, but I remember.

Good times.

Disgusting, isn't it.

Can confirm, am average American and I am in the struggle of breaking this shite habit. I was eating like 4 of those delicious sausage pancake roller dogs from a gas station and a big bag of chips for lunch, a full mid day snack usually with another bag of chips and a gas station chicken patty sandwich or something with mayo and ketchup, microwaved nachos at home either right after work or right before bed, a huge portion no less, a full dinner made by my wife or a massive portion of takeout. Not to mention on average the equivalent of 10-12 beers in the form of big craft IPAs like Two Hearted Ale or Southern Tier 2X IPA.

WTF is wrong with me/us.

Part of the problem is a banana at a fasttrack gas station is friggin $.99 and a big ol chicken sandwich is like $2. Stop even going inside gas stations.

the average american eats takeout/fast food every day for lunch.
think bout dat

I live in America and since retraining my brain to not be addicted to food I'm always shocked at portion sizes (has anyone really noticed how huge a medium Wendy's drink is?). I can never 100% finish meals when I go out to eat and its very difficult to find meals that aren't all carbs and fat.

I wish I had cheap food in my country

mmmm

I'm pretty jealous of your portion sizes desu.
I live in Norway and whenever I eat out it's always ridiculously expensive and the portion is always too small for someone who actually lifts and has an appetite. Fast food places/burger joints etc give you an ok amount, but I'm not a fan so whenever I eat at a proper restaurant I'm always disappointed.

Grass is always greener i guess. I wish it was more difficult to get large portions of food. So much gets wasted when you can't eat this huge ass bag of spinach before it goes bad.
OP have you seen Costco?

Friggun love costco.
No other place where i live can you buy a 3 pounder rotisserie chicken for 5 bucks.

I agree. Its a great place to buy your proteins. I get the huge fillets of salmon for like 15 bucks and it lasts me a week's worth of meals. Its farm raised yeah, but still. And a gigantic bag of brown rice. And a case of 24 eggs for super cheap.

That being said most people are there buying the triple sized bags of chips and shit.

>brown rice from australia
That shit makes my dick hrd

My family would cook a couple times a week so we always had leftovers but once I started working I got to see how so many people are just used to eating takeout or TV dinners for their meals. One of my co-workers is 18 and eats Chinese takeout four times a week, and another is around 30 and still eats chicken nuggets and bagged fries.
I think I go to Panera bread once a month.

>msg and salt
used to eat that shit in undergrad when i had late night labs/meetings, regret it to this day

I have eaten almost nothing but rice, spaghetti, peanut butter & oat bars and beans for the past month. Being poor is shit.

add in some fruits and veggies and you actually have a pretty solid diet there

Show me the soggy bastard that eats a mcdonalds double fish sandwich. No one un mentally fucked has ever eaten one

how are you alive?

Depressing one as well.

Haven't beem to Costco but tried Sam's for a while. Damn it made everything easier for once.

There's no escaping my rice bowl of sadness that tastes of poor.

I work in fast food. You have no idea the atrocities in which I have seen. (American, also.) The "average" individual comes in, orders the meal, thinking it's a cheap option. Then they just take like three or four sauces and dunk every little thing they can in sauce. Goddamn, it's like watching pigs eat sometimes with where the sauce ends up.

Not to mention our "signature sauce" is two hundred calories a pop, so after three or four, they've eaten enough for a meal. Yet no one stops to think about it.

Somehow though, all of our regulars are skinny, or at the very heaviest, only a bit of chub. You can tell who the regulars are and who the casuals are, depending on a lot of things. But the most common indicator is [spoiler] I see them again. I fucking work there. [/spoiler]

It's rather nasty. Don't even get me into how people leave their tables once they're done. Once had, what I assumed is, a Chinese family come in. By the time they left, there was a mix of Siracha and Ketchup on the table in the form of Chinese characters.

Don't even get me started on how we offer free refills. You'll have real lardos who burn through nearly one hundred ounces of soda pop by the time they leave.

Gas station food? What the fuck user?

I went to meet an old friend. We were gonna see Dunkirk together. He's like 270lb and 5'10. While we were at the mall he ate like 1,000 cal + in cookies, A 700 cal Ice cream Blizzard, A triple cheese bacon steak with fries ( prob ~ 1500 cal ) , A bunch of fries and chicken tenders with a large soda ( ~2000 cal ). He ate like 5k calories while we were there and he prob ate something before and after aswell? Why does he do this? Does he have no intention of losing the weight? He spent like $40 on that food too ( movie theatre prices )

Norwegian here and I share your pain.

Had the same diet when I went to school. Ate rice almost everyday. Try putting some butter on your rice, tasted kinda good.
Do you live near forests or? If you do you should start foraging berries, nuts, edible plants, thats what I did. Im also a hunter so every now and then I got some meat.
Good times...

What are grocery stores like in Norway? In America, there are entire aisles of just junk food - pretzels, chips, candy, soda, juice, etc. I imagine grocers in Norway and other places in Europe offer similar snack foods but nowhere near to the scale of US supermarkets. Am I wrong? Is there even a market for unhealthy, processed junk?

lol, don't go to restaurants hungry, pre-eat a high-protein snack

American here trying to reteach my brain to only eat healthy. Goddamn what I wouldn't do for a McDonald's Burger.

Lol growing up as a fat kid my mom thought pop tarts were a healthy legit breakfast. There's a lot of fat stupid parents poisoning their kids and instilling these habit in them. Unless kids actively break away (and in some cases like mine, get forever shunned by your family) and create their own new healthy habits as adults, theyre fucked. It's a negative cycle that's only getting worse.

European stores sell lot of different sweets and junk food too, the difference I find is that in Europe they aren't nearly that cheap (same for fast food restaurants), so if you are poor munching on big macs or frozen pizza isn't an option for you, fresh food is always cheaper.
Also sizes of biggest packages aren't as big in Europe, in my country biggest soda cup in McD is 400ml, biggest chips package sold is 150g

Probably a combination of being addicted to fast food, lack of information on calories and laziness.

You could go for one once every 10 days or so, so you don't relapse like a pig. If you eat healthy most of the time and sometimes cheat you will be super cool with yourself. My kryptonite is beer

Depending on the gas station and your location, some gas stations are almost like fast food places/convenience stores as well. I live in Southern PA and theres several and basically no one goes to your usual trashy gas station. They do made to order food. Just to name a few chains, theres Wawa, Sheetz, Rutters, Royal Farms. Not healthy at all by any means, but theyre at least not typical dirty gas station food.

I work in the trades, have a large frame and have active hobbies otherwise I would likely be dead.

Up here in CNY we have Byrne Dairy and Nice 'n Easys. The nice n easys have a full friggin gourmet cheese display with all sorts of locally sourced ages cheddars and whatever you could imagine. You can get subs better than subway, pizza is... usually terrible actually but a lot of people like it. It's just super thick and fatty and greasy, never NY style.

Interesting, thanks

What are these? They look good.

>I just witnessed what an average American eats on a daily basis. Jesus what atrocities I have seen.
Americans eat less than Austrians on average and still manage to be much fatter.

>Somehow though, all of our regulars are skinny, or at the very heaviest, only a bit of chub. You can tell who the regulars are and who the casuals are, depending on a lot of things.
That's normal.

Science be damned, when it comes to reality, skinny people always eat a lot more than fat people. I know, it shouldn't be possible, but it is like it is.

Literally food crack

Buttermilk bacon biscuits

>us
Nah, thats just you dog, dont lump all americans into your shit eating habits.

McDonalds in Sweden has donuts, they're bretty good

I don't think anyone here understands what 'average' means.

American education on nutrition is horrible. Not to mention fat parents who don't teach kids self control(mine always let me have seconds or thirds at meal time), the schools only taught the science part of nutrition, which kids don't understand how to apply in real life.

I fucking hated being a chubby kid, but the only way I knew how to lose it was running or playing sports more. All I wanted to do was play video games.

>kids don't understand how to apply in real life
That's because they are kids, still growing up. It's ultimately the parents' responsibility to make sure their kids eat right. I see a fat kid with fat parents? Bad parenting. I don't care if they are loved, praised, and cared for. Clearly, something went wrong and they don't seem to care how much longer they could live or about the increased chance of a variety of disease from being fat.