Was maxing bench today (lmao, not even 2pl8) and got stuck in the middle...

was maxing bench today (lmao, not even 2pl8) and got stuck in the middle, finally grinded the rep after some effort but i strained my lower back a bit

had to max deadlifts next but skipped it. i think my lower back is kind of weak and deadlifts are my worst lift, my lower back usually feels sore after deadlift day (i also do RDL and rows the same day), but not any real pain until today

what's your recommended exercises to supplement and stretch properly the lower back? was thinking of doing some kind of bridge progression at home, maybe something else in the gym?

I'm in the same boat; actually still recovering from tweaking my back. I may just avoid conventional deadlifts in the future and just do RDLs or something

>tfw just tweaked my lower back trying to snatch without knowing what I was doing

Anyway Stuart McGill's big 3 back exercises are solid.

>Anyway Stuart McGill's big 3 back exercises are solid.
video looks good, any advice for reps/sets and how often to do it?

Personally I rotate through all 3 for about 10-15 minutes before going to sleep.

any other recommendations about how to play it safe beyond doing some strengthening exercises for the lower back?

i was thinking of taking a week off or go to the gym but take it easy for 1 week and do more cardio instead of lifting. not sure what to do with DL weight, maybe deload for a while but it will feel weird to squat more than DL. lower back doesn't even hurt anymore and that happened like 4 hours ago, but it's still a bit sore and don't want to play games with it

How about not maxing out when you can't even keep your form during such attempt?

yea yea, i fucked up, but i mean what do now not in the past

what I'd advise
>just avoid straining you lower back for a week or so, deadlift and squat some high rep low weight sets instead, if it hurts then it's better to just skip those exercises and wait until it heals

what I'd probably do
>if it doesn't hurt the next day then I'm good to go, if it hurts then I don't squat/deadlift until it stops

>i think my lower back is kind of weak and deadlifts
Do you bounce your deadlifts, keep the bar from touching your legs on the way up and down, or not do low bar squats?

>Do you bounce your deadlifts,
i lower the weight in a controlled manner

>keep the bar from touching your legs on the way up and down
why is this? i always try to keep the bar as close to the legs as possible

> or not do low bar squats?
yes, might be a good idea to switch to front squats, i also feel the lower back pressure on back squats when going close to my max

>maxing out
bro if you haven't been doing these barbell lifts for a while don't bother testing your 1RMs. You're just ego lifting. If you want to gauge your strength gains then test your 3 rep or 5 rep maxes instead. Also, learn to call it quits sometimes when you're absolutely stuck. It seems like every time I hear a story from someone in the gym about how they fucked up their back/shoulder/hamstring/etc it's because they tried to grind out some rep that they were stuck on, and they couldn't do it without breaking form. If the form breaks during a lift, bail. Not worth injury just because you want to shitpost on Veeky Forums about achieving 2pl8 bench or some bullshit.

i was just being retarded for some reason, tried to do a max 5lbs heavier than what i had planned without a spotter

Have a crossfit portion in my gym, I decided to do 3x3 bench, do 2x225x3, easy, try 1x230x3, no spotter, get stuck in mid rep x3, just flip the bar on the side, weight fall on the floor. No one give a fuck cuz its normal in the crossfit portion.

PT here. These stretches/movements may help. They may cause a bit of pain at first but nothing too significant. If they do cause a lot of pain back off. All of these are easily searched online.

Lower trunk rotation (3 to 4 mins)
Prone Press ups (3 sets of 10 to 15)
Pelvic Tilts (3 sets of 10 to 15)
Prayer stretch to prone press up (2 to 4 mins)

Ice or heat as needed. Whichever makes it feel better is the appropriate one. Usually that's heat unless there's significant swelling

Good mix, I'd stay away from the heat if anything is inflamed.

Thoughts on this person's S.P.I. or Thoracolumbar fascia as a possible source of pain?

I was doing squats the other day, and I basically felt something in my lower back sort of dislocate feeling. I continued with 2 more squats. Bench was dreadful, I couldn't lay comfortably in any position whatsoever, I did deadlifts and maxed on them too and it hurt like a motherfucker but I thought it would go away the next day. It didn't.. it's been like this for 3 days, I can't do anything unless my back is completely straight, if I try to bend one cm forward it will hurt, if I try to bend backwards it's okay but when going back to straight position it hurts too. I couldn't take a shit or do butterfly sitting stretch. FUCK what should I do

Could be a number of things. Especially since not a super detailed description of where the pain is/what makes it worse/better is given. Could be a joint sprain in the spine which is causing some muscle guarding and therefore causing pain. Could be muscle strain. Either way rest, heat/ice, and light weightlifting/movements for a couple of weeks should probably help.

>Lower trunk rotation (3 to 4 mins)
>Prone Press ups (3 sets of 10 to 15)
>Pelvic Tilts (3 sets of 10 to 15)
>Prayer stretch to prone press up (2 to 4 mins)
Clam leg movement lying on your side (gluteus medius retraining) (3 sets of 10 each leg)

These movements would really help you (I've done the same thing myself). They will hurt at first but should only be done as tolerated as far as range of motion goes in the beginning. Heat or ice and gel cap ibuprofen regularly too. This sounds pretty typical of a lower lumbar sprain in the facet joints. The pain is probably more from your lower back muscles guarding from further injury but causes unfortunately causes a ton of pain. If you can get to a physical therapist for manipulations and/or dry needling I highly recommend it. In the states you no longer need a physicians recommendation to go to a PT. A physician will just give you muscle relaxers to cover up symptoms but not address the root cause of the injury.

Don't you love it when people give you good LOFDSAC info and when they let you know the makes it worse/makes it better with functional testing/assessments that light bulb goes off and you've got a treatment plan forming right before your eyes.

I like working with PT's, good bunch ya'll are.

I've been pushing my CEU's towards facial health, how about you?

- Registered Massage Therapist

Also (depending on the severity of the strain) you should look up the symptoms of cauda equina syndrome. I only say this because you said you were having issues taking a shit. I don't know if you say this because sitting is causing pain, or if you're actually experiencing constipation. If you start to experience those symptoms (early signs numbness in groin/saddle area and changes in bladder/bowel function) I recommend getting to a doctor ASAP because it can cause permanent damage to the nerves.

Right now I'm super interested in vestibular rehab. Its a great feeling to help relieve someone of vertigo. Its such a debilitating symptom when you correct it they look like you've taken the world off their shoulders. Very satisfying no matter what helping relieve people of pain and discomfort.

I'll do those. Thanks! My issue is I doubt it's the muscles that are causing the pain. I'm afraid it's something with my spinal discs.

It's the pain I feel in the bones of my lower back. Just trying to sit with an arched back on the toilet seat hurt a lot. My body wanted to get it out asap but I couldn't sit in a comfortable enough way to take a shit.
Thanks for your advice, I'll wait 3 days and then go to a dr if the pain persists.

A lumbar spine joint strain will often feel similar to a herniated disc. Unless you're experiencing pain/numbness running down your legs I imagine its probably just the joints. Not to diminish that injury. I know it hurts like hell.

Obligatory PSA, most people have protruding discs in their spine. It is a natural thing as people age. If you're having back pain and a physician says you have a protruding disc I recommend getting a second opinion from a PT. The surgery to correct those will ultimately cause more pain long term and will just require more surgeries to fix. A PT will tell you if surgery is necessary or if the pain is caused by something else, and will take steps to address the root problem.

We specialize in the function and quality of movement. If you're hurt, (aside from an obviously broken bone) see a PT. We'll tell you if you need imaging/surgery without wasting your dollars on unnecessary testing. If you're sick, see a physician.

I know people that lift aren't recognized for being smart but common man
>I basically felt something in my lower back sort of dislocate feeling
And not only did you keep squatting, but you also did your whole workout.

Ah. Alright thanks! It started happening as I was lifting my 3rd squat up from the ground and increased in intensity when I finished my set of 5.

Can't thank you enough, user! No numbness and still fairly young. I will stay away from surgery as much as possible.

I'm not sure how a muscle strain really feels, it's the first time I felt this, but it's scaring me because it's in my spine but now I'm a bit more relieved.

BTW what do you think of the starting stretching routine?

Yeah I'm an idiot. I hope my body forgives me this time. I'll half the weights if it feels comfortable again and start climbing up again. Thanks though, I shouldn't have lifted heavy after a hangover.

Most of those look fine except I wouldn't do any squatting in the next week or 2. I would start with the ones I gave you first because of the level of pain you seem to be in. The ones I sent also will help activate antagonist muscles to help relax the agonists. So if there is painful muscle guarding it will essentially help those muscles calm down. Like I said its probably a joint sprain not unlike twisting your ankle but your back muscles get really protective of your spine. So when it gets injured (especially when you feel a pop like you did), the back muscles are going to tighten up in an attempt to prevent further injury. Its pretty common (in older individuals but I experienced it at 25. Also a heavy lifter). Rest, ice/heat, ibuprofen, and those gentle movements and you should see hopefully a lot of improvement in the next week or 2. After you can do the ones I sent daily without causing a lot of pain/aggravation then its fine to progress to your list.

Oh boy! I just did the ones you wrote down. I'm not sure if what you gave me is 'general knowledge' in your field but HOLY!
In the first minute of lower trunk rotation about 3 bones in my spine cracked and I felt so relieved! I finished the whole thing and took a shit with no issues I had tears of joy. Thank you so much. There's still some pain there but I already can sit more comfortably than an hour ago.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you thank you.

Do you think I should give up on doing squats/deadlifts and replace them with similar movements like split squats/RDL/whatever compliments them but is more injury-free? I'm not much of a strength person, I go to the gym to keep my fitness up and stay healthy, I thought picking up SS would be harmless but I feel it's backfiring and I'm not sure what I should do.

>since not a super detailed description of where the pain is/what makes it worse/better is given.
feels like weak/sore lower back, the muscles, not so much near the coccyx bone, more like the muscles around the spine that go up to the middle back, not specially painful, it's annoying when laying down on my back, feel better on my side

i think it's probably a muscle strain, i never feel bad or pain when maxing deadlifts, when it gets annoying it's usually the high load days when i do squats, deadlifts, RDL, and rows. didn't have any pain before until i fucked up while benching, just some soreness.

anywy i'll take it easy for a week and let's see how it goes

If you wish to keep squatting and deadlifting I would start light and focus on form to the point where its mind numbing and progress weight from there. As long as you have good form and you're balancing your strength gains with major and minor muscles it shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes weakness in smaller muscles will cause injury due to the imbalances.

I'm so glad it helped!! Happy I could help you manage your pain.

Yeah it seems like its probably a strain in the lats or intrinsic back muscles. Just lift low weight high rep for now if you want to continue lifting unless it really starts to aggravate it. Ibuprofen and ice/heat as needed. You can look up some thoracic spine stretches too that may help as well.

Very similiar. I get lower back strain/tightening up after doing deadlifts. I haven't been able to narrow down really what causes it. It will only last like 10-15 minutes and is completly fine afterwards, but since i start my workouts with deadlifts, it can mess up my whole workout. Will these stretches fix my issue or is it something else?

Eppleys technique is bad ass. I found that developing the sensitivity to listen for the guarding and catching during the phases of slow, molasses-slow movement that allow for those vestibular compartments to recalibrate so long as the patients eyes are kept open.

>upper mid back hurts like a motherfucker on the right side
>it all started when i dropped 180lbs doing triceps bench press
>lifted too fast and the wobbly bar fell on my sternum.
>hurts like fuck to do rows on the row bench for back
>hurts like fuck bench pressing
>dead lifts don't hurt
>any pressure on the right side of my chest hurts my upper mid back region on the right side
>breathe in
>hurts
>move right arm in front of me and back like doing a reverse fly for rear delts but standing up straight
>hurts like fuck
Broken rib? I see no bruising or anything like that, Maybe i have some sprained rib muscles?