sumo deadlifts are fucking gay as shit and do NOT count as real deadlifts

Other urls found in this thread:

strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

we know, bruh.

all deadlifts are gay and for unathletic fucks that can't clean lol

>muh superior olimpick weightlifting

you can't even clean 315 lol

For once OP isn't a fag. Sumo should be banned from all competition. Seeing people pulling sumo in my gym makes my blood boil.

cleans are the most useless meme exercise there is

When you clean 315, what do you usually do when the weight is at your shoulders? Do you just step back and let them drop to the floor? I was cleaning heavy the other day and reverse cleaning the weight to my thighs felt a bit violent as I put more than two plates on the bar.

Just curious, not throwing shade.

yeah i just drop the bar when i get to the top because i've always had the luxury of a lifting platform

One of the great things about strongman is that it used to be banned (it might still be banned but i can't remember and cba to look)

i do them on a lifting platform and drop the weight even if it's just 1pl8

I see. Thanks.

No platform so I'm going to have to keep muscling them down. It'll probably mess up the bars if I do otherwise, with the whole unit bouncing back up past my knees if I drop it.

do you train at home? if so you can do what strongmen do which is get some big tires to drop the weight on then just do hang cleans

much cheaper than lifting platform

I love pissing off nerds with my sumos

No, I lift at a preppy Y that has a very decent setup but no love for Oly lifting. I do have access to bumpers I can bring outside on gravel or grass but I live in a region that has heavy snowfall, so no year-round solution.

>Veeky Forums tells me sumos aren't real deadlifts
>do them anyways
SCOUNDREL

sumo deadlifts are the downsyndrome version of real deadlifts, daily reminder

I started doing them because my back is relatively overdeveloped compared to my legs

>tfw stronger on conventional

feels good desu

noob lifter here

does dead lifting give you gains?

i tried it once it felt like i was on my to snap back city and i stopped.

to me it seems like dead lifts serve no purpose other than to show off how much you can lift

>making yourself weaker
>I s-s-sure showed them!

The idea is that they let us non manlet well per-portioned lifters deadlift with minimal back strain. The only people who say they don't count are long armed manlets who want to feel superior for once in their tiny lives.

Go back to your curls, mate.
Deadlifts train your entire back side.
From your hams to your traps.

>The idea is that they let us non manlet well per-portioned lifters deadlift with minimal back strain.
The point of deadlifts is to work your back
If it's too heavy and you're hurting yourself, deload and work your way up there properly

Sumo transfers the load from the posterior chain to your quads. That makes it more of a modified squat

My conventional is a little stronger, but I still do sumo as an assistance movement. I might be a little gay though.

>t.never done sumos before
>t.5'6
>t.6'4 wingspan
user us adults are talking here go back to your playroom

I agree with you, friend.

>pull sumo with a round back and high hips for the best of all worlds

d ev il is h

Sumo is a good assistance exercise for real deadlifts.
But I agree, it should be kept out of competition.

Pulled a disc in my lower back years ago, conventional feels straight up bad even at very low weight. Sumo works for me. Forever gay, oh well.

i am a long armed manlet and can confirm

DELETE THIS! YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO ADMIT SHIT!

This had better be bait.

>mfw pull sumo and i dont give a fuck because i can pull exactly same numbers conv and sumo but sumo feels much easier on my lower back

Besides works my glutes like oh mama

>mfw squat quarter and i dont give a fuck because i can pull exactly same numbers a2g and quarter but quarter feels much easier on my quads

parrallel squat and atg squat would be closer comparision but whatever you say retard

Even Ed Coan says sumo is harder technically, but some autist on basket weaving forum thinks his opinion matters

If you are not built to do a lift, dont fucking do it for bonus meme points

>parrallel squat and atg squat would be closer comparision
Not really since parallel and atg activate the same muscle groups to nearly the same degree.
Sumo and conventional are quite different with sumo activating quads a lot more than conventional.

Someone got out-pulled at the gym yesterday

That's not really true, it's still a ham/glute dominant hip hinge. For both styles there will be some quad push involved as well, but the reverse squat thing only really happens in equipment.

ITT dyel faggots that don't even DL talking shit about a legitimate exercise.

Conventional DL is terrible for your back and it's easy to get the form wrong. Sumo is a much more natural body movement and follows the proper lifting method of keeping your back straight and lifting with your legs.

The mindset that sumo is for fags and real men do conventional is the same brute mentality that led to hearing loss around firearms, because only pussies wear hearing protection, a real man listens to explosions happening right next to his ear and enjoys it.

Greg Nuckols says you're wrong and he's not some anonymous shitposter soo

>it's still a ham/glute dominant hip hinge. For both styles there will be some quad push involved as well
I'm not denying that.
But likewise you can't deny that Sumo uses a lot more quads than conventional.

The "goal" of deadlifts isn't to pull big numbers, it's to train your posterior chain. If you shift the load partially forward, then doesn't defeat the purpose of doing the lift in the first place?

Does this guy really say that Sumo doesn't use any more quads than Conventional?
Is he retarded?

>there are people who seriously care about how much lenght random people leave between their feet while deadlifting

wow ok

why are you emotionally attached to this kind of shit? Get a grip man, you behave like a child

>The "goal" of deadlifts isn't to pull big numbers
powershitters would disagree

It all depends on your goals, if sumo allows you to get strong faster and safer because of your proportions then that's only logical to train it. I still think you should train both for general strength, they compliment each other pretty nicely.

i prefer sumos desu

Sumo "deadlifter" spotted.

this. egolifting at its most pathetic
>everyone has to perform movements the way I do

He says it's a very minimal change in musculature used, which it is.

Sumo still hammers all your PC musculature just fine.

>It all depends on your goals
/thread

> During the sumo deadlift, the EMG muscle activity for the vastus lateralis, vastus medialis and tibialis anterior was 48%, 44% and 18% of the maximum voluntary isometric contraction (MVIC) respectively. This was compared to 40%, 36% and 13% MVIC respectively during the conventional deadlift.
not even 10% difference

> i suck at this lift and anyone who does it differently with more weight is obviously cheating

Jokes on you i don't deadlift at all because i like my non herniated back

There is literally zero evidence to show barbell deadlifting causes spinal injury.

Please stop perpetuating momscience.

With such precise numbers, it's obvious they only tested one guy.
The shorter the arms, the more quads come into play.

Yeah man i'm sure it's merely a coincidence all powerlifter bust their backs between 20 and 30, just dumb luck. Just mom science

>Escamilla et al., (2002) researched EMG differences in the lower body muscles during the sumo and conventional deadlift in 13 collegiate football players.

>all powerlifter bust their backs between 20 and 30,

But they don't.
>hurrdurr I'll back up my argument by presenting a made up fact

Proofs?
And even if it were true, powerlifters are all about meeting the numbers no matter what. Hitching and yanking and rounding the back doesn't matter so long as they eventually get it to the top.
Don't take powerlifters as an example

It's like saying I don't drive because of demolition derbies

>football players

Powerlifters dont hitch it gets you red lights

>people who know how to lift being used to study lifting

>implying football players know how to properly lift

>football players
so what all football players deadlift extensively and the average college football player probably deadlifts more than 99% of Veeky Forums

I bet you are weak as fuck and take pride in your "perfect form"

A better way to phrase this would be: Sumo deadlifts are actually a different exercise and engage your muscles differently. Apples and oranges.

I hybrid deadlift. Arms slightly in from where they are in conventional and legs right outside the arms.
Feels immeasurably better than conventional for me. Great leverage, easy to lock in and engage the upper back without any rounding, no knee issues, no lower back issues... Feels like a much more bio-mechanically sound movement overall.

If I had longer arms and shorter legs I'd do conventional but even with tight as fuck form it just feels shit.

you seem to have issues, whats wrong with you dude. do you conduct yourself like this in real life too

> people who lift sumo unironically make fun of trap bar deads

Better than some random retard undergrad snatched out of the bio dept

That's just sumo, user, it's okay.

>do sumo with mixed grip
>instantly adds 50lbsvto my 5rm

Lmao just try to stop me you fags

Deadlifts and sumo deadlifts are two different exercises as much as front squats and low bar back squats are.

So yes totally different?

ur the one who said footballers dont know how to lift m8

not the one you responded to

Whether or not you are better suited to pull conventional or sumo is entirely dependant on limb length/segmentation, internal leverages and your own hip anatomy.

Only you can stop stance shaming.

If sumo is acceptable then so is benching without lowering the bar completely to my chest

Also those are unironically the same exercise, just you have severely worse leverages for moving weight lowbar compared to front squats. The only difference is which spinal erectors, lumbar for lowbar and thoracic for front, are under the most strain under heavy loads.

Mmm more like highbar and lowbar but okey

Sumo-deadlifts and rack pulls are just ways for faggots to cheat their deadlift like bench and squat. If you wanna egolift bench, you half-rep. If you wanna egolift squat, you half-rep. But since you can't half-rep a deadlift, you have to create totally different exercises to cut the movement in half for genetically inferior men. See Asian powerlifters

i bet football players at least sometimes train conventional and never do sumo(which is a technical lift thats hard to get right) and that you would see larger seperation in the muscle recruitment as they sumoed more and were able to recruit muscle more efficiently. i dont think any researcher is retarded enough to overlook that but ok.

its mister a2g from the youtube comments

>cheat their deadlift like bench and squat
how can you cheat when you arent competing. The arbitrary rules of a sport you dont compete in do not apply to you. They. Do. Not. Apply. To. You.
Do you understand this? People have different goals. Is that so hard to comprehend?

Don't waste your breath.

The idea that people might lift to develop strength in the most bio-mechanically sound and balanced way possible just doesn't even register for the 'competitors'.

Fuck I'd rather trap bar deadlift than ever use a barbell again, why? Because for me it's a far safer/more comfortable exercise that allows me to lift more weight and recruit more muscle in a way much closer to the intent of my physiology.

Having to do 'conventional' deadlifts is arbitrary and only applies to competition. Yeah, lemme grease up the bar beforehand because it's 'harder' and therefore more legitimate.

I want to lift heavy into old age and I find time and time again that there are ergonomically superior lifts to all those used in competition.

>Fuck I'd rather trap bar deadlift than ever use a barbell again, why? Because for me it's a far safer/more comfortable exercise that allows me to lift more weight and recruit more muscle in a way much closer to the intent of my physiology.
Absolutely agree.
strongerbyscience.com/trap-bar-deadlifts/
If you just want to get aesthetic and hate doing barbell deadlifts, try it out with the trap bar. It wont affect your gains in any way whatsoever.
You might trigger some neckbeard on Veeky Forums identifying as a powerlifter, but thats it.
Also, trap bar dl are way better for high reps

>Deadlifts
>higher reps

Yeah lol, just do 1x5 for the rest of your life.

>Also, trap bar dl

the only thing that might make you and even bigger pussy bitch than sumo deadlifts. gj faggot.

3x3 nigga

Im deadlifting with a barbell. I dont lose my shit when I see someone trapbar deadlifting though. My guess is that if I were to get angry at people not training the way I do, Id take a hard look at myself before judging others, but then again, im just a normie

I'd love to try a trap bar one day, but my gym is owned by a pair of super conventional Bulgarian power lifters

Having done deadlift, high bar squat, and trap bar deadlift, I honestly think trap bar DL is more similar to squat than it is to conventional DL. Maybe it's just because I have really long legs, but to me DL puts a ton of stress on my lower back. That tells me I have to go slowly and make my form is perfect, though; not that I should just abandon it altogether. I think some people ITT are really failing to admit that they don't like conventional DL because they suck at it. I've never done sumo DL, but if it's anything like trap bar I don't see the point of it.

>5'6
just kill yourself user

I do sumo deadlifts and I dont give a fuck what you faggots think.

They feel much better for me than conventional so why should I ever not do sumo?

Idk I can lift lmao4pl8 conventional and only 3 on sumo, I'd say sumo is harder. Even being harder, it still feels better on the back and my legs have never been as sore the day after.

Call me gay but I feel like sumo is the better dl

It's not harder/easier. It's just different, and more suited for some people compared to others.

If it was easier or better then then every powerlifter would pull sumo, just like literally all of them lowbar squat.

>If it was easier or better then then every powerlifter would pull sumo
Don't a vast majority do just that?

There's some fag at my gym who thinks he tough as shit, wears a belt and knee braces and all that shit to sumo deadlift 3.5 pl8s. Screams on the way up, and at the top of it he just drops the weight and lets it slam into the ground. Does this for sets of 4 and then walks around gasping for air, shit looks retarded

No, in the lighter classes almost everyone pulls sumo but otherwise it's a pretty even split.

Go back to your aerobics classes bitch boy