Ketosis

Have you ever been in ketosis Veeky Forums? Is it as godlike as people make it?

I just watched Joe Rogans recent podcast and it has intrigued my interest.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Doing it right now, strictly for weight loss. Weight's coming off steadily. Eating less sugar. Don't feel hungry between meals. 4 months so far. Gets easier everyday to stick with it. Don't know about other health benefits, but the weight loss is good enough for me

nice user, how much weight have you lost?

its only good if you are really seriously trying to get into the single digit body fat, for instance for a bb comp.

or for morbidly obese people to easily lose weight.

dont do it if ur not prepping for a comp, or not morbidly obese

and its only for very very short term. because in order to actually get calories into your body (especially if you are going super hardcore, like less than 10g carbs a day) there is gunna be a fuckton of fat in the diet. so say so long to having open, non-clogged arteries

>mfw people think eating nothing but bacon and brie cheese is healthy

It treats autism now? Could help a lot of this board

>there are only bad fats
>you get fat off fat

>t. I know nothing about the ketogenic diet

I lost a good 10 lbs off of it. Hardest part was cutting out bread. Mouth was fucking sandpaper when I woke up everyday but it was worth.

The last like 5 episodes have been about keto l hope he's just crapping out episodes for someone amazing at 1000

1000 has already been confirmed as just joey diaz and someone else i cant remembee, lee syatt or tom segura

I am on my first week of Keto right now and my mouth tasted like the inside of a can of black olives all the time, does this go away?

stop eating black olives

Well joey diaz is always a good time

can it be %45 prots %45fat and %10 carbs?

I was hoping it would be someone more epic like Conor McGregor or Elon Musk. His podcast could use some more notable guests.

I'm on day 2 with keto and I already broke my diet with bread, definitely a lot harder than expected. Also not eating sweets is tough since I'm practically addicted to ice cream and chocolate.

Tomorrow's a new day.

>godlike as people make it?
fuck no, it makes you feel retarded

really, it is a hard ass diet that you shouldn't do unless you have a very special reason, like needing to go from 8% to 4% or something

It's not a diet where you "get" to eat bacon, it's a diet where you HAVE to eat bacon. Big, big difference.

>10 lbs
5 of which were glycogen

NO CARBS RETARD. You'll get more than enough carbs sneaking in in your meat and hitchhiking on your dietary fiber.

No. Think 25% protein, 70% fat and 5% carbs (or less really)

Protein can be converted to glucose and too much will kick you out of ketosis.

Honestly why are we still having this thread every day? Keto has been around for fucking ever. There are a million fucking resources on the internet about it. Lyle McDonald wrote a book on it before cat memes got stale. This is not new. It's like this forum gets newer every fucking day.

sounds like a great way to die early

>NO CARBS RETARD

Please go.

so is inflammation really that bad? why do people eat so much carbs if its really that unhealthy for you and more people get on keto diet?

>trust me, I'm a smart guy
>I watch comedy central for my political opinions

fuck my shit up senpai. im literally eating blobs of "fat" in my bowl of food and still not hitting the fat macro required to get into keto

>eating only saturated fats is keto
>eating a lot of dairy is keto

I'm not on it now, but I ate a ton of green vegetables and unsaturated fats on keto and felt great

> Have you ever been in ketosis Veeky Forums?
yes

>Is it as godlike as people make it?
yes. as soon you enter ketosis, you dont feel like you are starving anymore, and you gain normal energy levels back, even though youre at 1400 KCAL. also your burn like 90% fat, which is incredible.

disadvantage: you cant maintain for a longer period, and i suppose it isnt really the most healthy diet due to lack of food variety

There is no macro goal to hit. Just stay below 20-50gr of carbos and yer goot.

Fat is needed for energy so adjust accordingly.

Dietary fat is not abdominal fat. The body rapidly loses.weight because its just not as good at just storing any calories as fat but excess glucose in the liver as fat. Technically you dont even have to keto. Just not being American can guarantee you wont be obese.

Adam Ruins Everything even admitted this and he's a cuck

I've been eating keto for about 3 years now. I've taken sporadic breaks, but I always go back to eating keto.

The biggest thing for me is that I don't get as hungry. When I'm eating carbs, I feel an almost painful need to eat when I get hungry. I don't get that when I eat keto. I also feel much more focused.

It's great for killing your appetite. There were many days where I ended up just drinking water and eating nothing because I simply wasn't hungry. This reason is also why I had to stop, couldn't do fuck all for workouts with not eating properly.

Been in ketosis for the same, 3 years.

Just had a full blood panel. Came back near perfect. Tri was 120 for a 39yr old. Doctor had no fucking idea what went on, swore I had to of gone vegan lol. Told the fucker he'd never get me on pills for chloesterol. Love being right.

Been on it for a few weeks. Looking a lot leaner.

I never really "craved" carbohydrates and shit to begin with. The only things I noticed at first was

A: I was incredibly grumpy
B: I burned out on my sets much faster

It got better though. Never feel hungry now and never really seem to lose my drive later in the day. Just steady constant stable energy.

Could be a placebo tho lol.

That's how withdrawal feels like.

Sugar is an addictive drug and the body doesn't actually need it for anything. Once you're in as far as you are you can ditch carbs forever.

Okay, so what's the go with protein shakes on keto? I've been taking a scoop with unsweetened almond after workouts. The nutrition information lists there as being under 5g of carbohydrates per scoop but I'm worried about any potential insulin spikes.

Am I being a bitch over nothing?

Real question:

Key-toe
or
Keh-toe

Keh-toe

Those who disagree must die.

Depends on the blend as you point out. I buy the ketochow meal shit and toss an added scoop of protein in that bitch. It's cash. Don't feel hungry for hours.

whey causes a bigger insulin spike than pure sugar

>bacon and brie are the only fats I know about

could you shut up if you know nothing about the topic discussed?

While not wrong it's also not that big of a deal. Studies have proven no negative impact especialy if in ketosis. Seems to counter out somewhere else.

it's key-toe because it's ketones (key tones). Not fucking khethones.

Actually, fat intake hardly corresponds to clogged arteries.

New findings show that the clogging mostly stems from the bloods natural coagulation mechanims and donating blood plasma on a somewhat regular basis can help to prevent it.
youtube.com/watch?v=uc1XsO3mxX8

>autism

keto is pretty much a meme since doing it long term might affect your gainz

It's good if you're obese trying to shed weight or for something really specific

>5 of which were glycogen
5lbs of glycogen? How much glycogen do you think your body actually stores?

i know literally nothing about keto but you should try eating some almonds

I'm generally in ketosis. Not from a concerted effort on my part. Just from the diet I eat.

About the only things we eat are meats and produce. The most carb ladened thing we'll eat would be corn or peas. I don't eat bread or soft dairy. And I rarely touch fruit. The kids are much more sugar crazed than we are and eat fruit ad libitum.

That's basically perfect, a 1:1 ratio by weight of protein to fat is a good guideline

>Conor McGregor or Elon Musk.

Elon is changing the world. Conor beat up men for money, and he's not even the best at it. Don't mention them in the same breath again

this

in a hundred years Elon Musk's legend is going to be a real-life Peter Weyland.

Conor is going to be a long forgotten factoid on trivia with friends you try to google before your time runs out

>because in order to actually get calories into your body
wat

>cancer
>autism
>depression
>migraines
>parkinsons
>alzheimers

No. Only thing keto has been shown to curb is epilepsy. Everything else is insignificant and pseudoscience until more tests are done

helped me get rid of my acne

>Only thing keto has been shown to curb is epilepsy.

This shit is a fucking miracle. I just naturally eat a mostly ketogenic diet as a result of my food preferences.

When I met my boyfriend he was regularly having seizures even on some pretty strong medications. Both the seizures and medications were wreaking havoc on his quality of life.

Three months after moving in with me we were sitting and watching a movie and he got a bit spacey. It wasn't a full blown seizure and just the auras. He pulled out his notebook to put it in and he realized he had just gone the longest in 5 years without a seizure.

I told him it was because of the low carb diet and he went full bore

Sure, fuck up your body by eating a bunch of fat without actually going into ketosis

Glycogen and its water of hydration. About 5lbs for someone 6'2"

On the minus side, for us normals it makes us feel retarded.

Insulin spikes with no glucose present won't do much to keep you out of ketosis, in fact you need leucine to spike insulin to build muscle at all. The 5g of carbs sounds sketch though, I'd get a better protein powder

Lost about 25lbs in the span of 6 weeks. Later on in the diet I didn't even feel any sweets cravings or anything.
Stopped because I like pasta and rice too much. But I haven't put on any weight since then at least.

Here is the secret user, the fat is a cap, not a goal. If you don't real the cap it'll just be taken from your reserves.

So long as you aren't feeling extremely hungry you're doing fine.

Keh-toe would be spelt ketto

yeah its such a crazy feeling. i feel like i could stop at 1800 calories because eating the last 400 calories of food takes awhile due to being so full already

Took me about a month to fully get used to it, but it's the best diet I've ever followed. I was a sweet tooth, which coupled with the lack of discipline led to me being overweight, now I have zero carb cravings. The downside is the diet is more expensive compared to what I was eating before, but it's worth it.
Funnily enough, it was prescribed to me by my doctor. I also have some fatty infiltration in my liver and pancreas, so all the more reasons to be on keto.

Elon is an irrelevant meme, and Connor is fun.

Funny I was thinking of the same two guys when thinking who should be on #1000. But it's probably not gonna happen.

This guy knows whats up.

Middle English scribes began the method of using double consonants after a vowel to denote short vowel sounds. Now we have several ways to do that or to denote long vowel sounds because this language is a freakin mess, but that rule is pretty solid.

Messy
Dressing
Pressure
Lesson
Latter
Critter
etc

Hate
Make
Smoke
Broke
etc

a ketogenic diet is practially the opposite of a vegan diet, so obviously it's going to be very bad for you.

use your brain.

This man gets it

Okay I agree that the body doesn't need a lot of the refined carbohydrates that's added in excess in processed foods today, but that's not right. Your body needs sugar for normal function, and if you've ever done keto, you'd know how much less energy you have, and how far your performance is from normal. Evolution didn't make your body favor carbohydrates before any other macronutrients to meme you. Of course, by 'need', I only mean during normal function, when you're eating maintenance.

2 years in ketosis here, my epilepsy was cured just like . I had help from a neurologist, places like Johns Hopkins will actually help you use ketogenic/modified atkins diet to treat epilepsy, it's a legit treatment.

My neurologist says the only problem with diet treatment for epilepsy is that almost no one can actually stick to it. It's kind of a shame, because a lot of anticonvulsants slow the brain down and can fuck with your mental health.

I do it like on and off. One week I'll stay in ketosis the other up just eat like 50 carbs maybe a bit more. I don't have too much muscle mass cause I spend most of my excerises sparing at the gym. This diet is absolutely shit for people who do drills daily.
If I'm loaded on carbs I can fight for like 1:30, but on the keto diet I'm able to keep my hands up for 45 minutes before giving up

Best example is rapping/raping.

But the rule for vowels followed by K generally seems to be to insert a C instead, idk why
Block/Bloke
Cock/Coke
Stock/Stoke

>shows promise for treating a list of things
>studies have shown common keto foods do not treat, but make those conditions worse
Wew lads

How easy is it to drop out of keto or crawl back in? If I keep my diet strict but, let's say, go for a night of drinking and there's obviously beer or drinks there do I instantly drop out and start regaining weight from storing sugars? Or can I return to the diet next day and it'll be fine?

Also on some websites I saw the term "net carbs" tossed around and calculated as carbs minus fibers. How would that work? If it does, can I munch some extra fiber and then go drink?

I'm thinking of getting on keto to lose some fat (no excercises thought, I couldn't manage it time-wise), passing on sweets and bread seems doable, but getting hammered with my best friend once or twice a month is a tradition I'm not really ready to give up.

Also sorry for asking questions here, but whenever I search on the web I either get people claiming it does miracles (and wanting to sell me their recipies) or it kills you (stories about clogging arteries and hair falling out)

So when I see some people having reasonable opinions here I want to make use of the occasion.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Dumbass net carbs just means you don't count fiber towards your daily allowance. You can't invalidate other carbs by just eating more fiber

wowee even a fucking shitty resolution picture of Jon Stewart, this is REALLY GOOD bait holy fuck

Thanks. I've had biology back in HS and done some reading but I never heard about keto before, so idea of fiber somehow cancelling carbs didn't seem so implausible. I know I'm a dumbass when it comes to keto but I'm here to learn so I don't accidentally off myself

Went into ketosis March 18 weighing 340. Weighed myself at the gym yesterday: 264.6. I've had more energy than I have in years, no hunger pains between meals, hell I don't even think about eating til I realize it's time to eat. I've definitely lost some strength but I've still been able to lift that it hasn't completely destroyed me.

What calorie deficit are you working on? While in ketosis you should still be able to make significant strength gains as a fat fuck losing fat as long as you're getting enough protein.

Fiber counts as a carb but isn't digested like one. So your net carb intake for the day is your total carbs minus total fiber.

Net carbs is the number to worry about.

You literally just repeated what I said gj

I enter ketosis 12 hours aftereating or deep ketosis in around 24 hours

I fasted many times in the past and that made my body somewhat keto-adapted so whenever it's running out of carbs i immediately get into ketosis and maybe easier than other people who eat regularly

ketosis is god

>your body needs sugar for normal function

Yes, and you eat sugars on a ketogenic diet.

>You'd know how much less energy you have

Seeing how as no solid clinical meta-study has been conducted around this frivolous anecdotal claim, shove it up your ass. I feel great.

What kind of retarded ketotic diet do you maintain that you have anywhere close to 30 fucking grams of carbs "hitchhiking" in your meats and dietary fiber?

Like honestly what the fuck, is your version of keto just switching out for wheat bread or something?

I've been pissing keto for a week having yogurt in the mornings and even a couple low-carb beers one day. I'm not even watching my meats or veggies except in obvious ways like not eating potatoes and shit.

While it is a fact that it is cals in vs cals out I know that when I did keto(starting again ) I lost around 50 lbs in 3 months while I know that alot of it was water weight I actually felt really good and no other diet has made me feel like that.Not only did I lose weight but it was the first time I ever lost my man boobs and love handles in my life.

Nothing upsets me more than this "keto is super strict" or "keto is hard" meme. You literally just don't eat starchy vegetables or bread/breaded things.

You have to try to fuck up keto, just look at the nutrition labels if you aren't sure. A lot of people can stay in keto ranges at 50 grams of carbs, which without bread, sugary shit you shouldn't be eating, or starchy vegetables, requires an absolute fuck ton of food to reach.

After the first few days in keto I feel normal as long as I'm getting enough medium chain triglycerides in my diet. Its only difficult if 90% of what one eats is carbs but thats usually only in people who don't understand nutrition anyway.

>the diet is more expensive compared to what I was eating before
One of those costs like 65 cents here.

>your body needs sugar for normal function

"Sugar" is not an essential nutrient in any shape way or form. In fact you can live without any dietary carbohydrates at all, a big fat 0

Every cell in the body (save for the brain) is capable of running exclusively on fatty acids and ketone bodies. And when it comes to the brain, only a fraction of it actually requires glucose to operate, the most primitive parts of the brain. The rest of it (~75%) can operate just fine on ketone bodies.

Additionally the production of ATP from ketones and fatty acids results in less ROS's for the cell to mop up and take care of compared to glucose.

As to the:
>you know how much less energy you have
Is because of your body's poor adaptation to fat metabolism. When you run your body on glucose continuously your cells have a pretty reliable and easy energy source for ATP generation. Fat metabolism on the other hand takes longer for the mitochondria organelles to produce ATP. As a result of this bottleneck you feel like you are more lethargic and have less energy. This is why low intensity aerobic workouts in the fasted state are shilled so hard in the keto community to encourage epigenetic pressure to increase mitochondrial density intra-cellularly.
Furthermore the claim that you "need carbs" is even more bullshit from the simple fact that your liver is more than capable of making glucose from protein. And teh fact that every single triglyceride molecule in your body has a glyceride backbone which is taken up by the liver after the fatty acids are cleaved and can be converted directly to glucose through gluconeogenesis.

>a ketogenic diet is practially the opposite of a vegan diet
I'm doing keto as a vegetarian

Also adding that any sugar we might need is synthesized through gluconeogenesis from fatty or amino acids. Carbs are useless

>repeating EXACTLY what I said in the last statement
Except you're wrong.

Your body cannot synth glucose from fatty acids. It can make it from amino acids.

The glucose it can manufacture is from the glyrcerol backbone that the fatty acids attach to.

G - F A T T Y A C I D
L
Y
C - F A T T Y A C I D
E
R
O
L - F A T T Y A C I D

>your liver is capable of making glucose from protein

friendly reminder to watch your protein balance on keto so as not to induce ketoacidosis

>2017
>still thinking ketoacidosis occurs in people who have normal insulin function

Ketoacidosis is a metabolic state in which ketone body counts exceed 10mmol/dl while simultaneously having an extremely elevated blood glucose level

Normal insulin function prevents elevated blood glucose levels, Furthermore, even in ketosis regardless of how much fat your body is mobilizing, the liver only converts enough amino acids and glycerol to glucose to keep your glucose levels in the normal range. It doesn't just willy nilly go on a glucose manufacturing spree to the point of hyperglycemia.

Best way to handle what you want to do is skip excessive drinking for 1 month. From there you body becomes more keto adapt.

After that any time you drink in excess you drop out of keto but don't 3-5 days to fall back in. Rather it'll only take 2 days (if you even leave it keeping everything else controlled).

Keto is the worst diet to be on if you have no self control or need a lot cheat meals/days. However you shouldn't let it get in the way of your life. And the stories you hear are mostly a crock of shit or from 300+ lb wilder beasts who were already fucked up from their previous habits.

When I first started keto it was expensive to supplement living in D.C. Now I live in Austin and it's 30-40% cheaper to keep up.

I live in the Bay Area and I basically didn't have to change anything although obviously life out here in general is incredibly expensive if you want to eat / enjoy quality.

I can't even imagine living in the Bay Area after barely scraping by in D.C. Austin is a breath of fresh air cost-of-living wise.

Thanks. That sounds awesome. And it kinda aligns with my goals here. I'm in a situation where if I don't switch to mealprep and introduce some diet I'm going to get very fat very soon, but that does not mean that I want the diet to ruin my social life.

Leave it to burgers to shill for a diet that'll have you eat bacon and eggs and fried chicken as a staple for your diet while pretending it's health