/run/ General - Exploding Knees edition

/run/ General - Exploding Knees edition (for those who have been here all summer)

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/

>Strava
strava.com/features
>Join the fags and share who you are and where you live!
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

>>Old thread maybe
>>>

Other urls found in this thread:

content.nike.com/content/dam/one-nike/en_us/SP15/running/nike-run-club/Training/NikePlusRunClub_Pace-Chart.pdf
cotopaxi.com/products/del-dia-bataan-3l-fanny-pack
trainingpeaks.com/blog/is-running-good-for-a-cyclist/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

After hills a couple of weeks. Ambitious hills. I am feeling it. Lower mileage.

Did a nice 13miler a few days ago. Off to do a long slow one today. Wanted earlier in the day due to heat, but schedule is screwed right up currently.

What do you guys take for supplements?

Anyone use KT tape? How's it help knee/ankle pain?

Only use it to cover my nipples to stop them rubbing.

Why are our threads going so fast? Few weeks ago we would die at bump limit. Have people given up on running???

Dunno man, maybe everyone is just out running.

Me? I just try and start these things man. Keep the fires burning.

Thing I'm looking for is more advice on stretches for post-run. Off to research.

What kind of mileage and rotation you guys getting out of your shoes?

30-40 miles a week, tarmac/road exclusive for me. First pair changed around 550 miles, next pair 400 miles. Currently looking at swapping out third pair soon(ish).

>inb4 buying in to the shoe wearing out meme

wearing Mizuno Wave Rider because wide flat feet

What you run in too?

i ran today for the first time in a month since my plantar faciiitis injury

did 2 miles and took it real slow. im scared about tomorrow, but imma only run 3 days a week for now instead of 6 days.

Advice on how to run without destroying knees? Had my meniscus removed 5 years ago and am terrified of running on it.

I want to run ultras. Not interested in 5k,10k, HM, FM. Nope. I want to put myself through sheer hell.

What do?

Did again around 24' on 5km, but this time I did 5 more kms for a 54' total. Still a weaklet but doing better

had to stop at week 3 of c25k due to shin splints.
did a couple of bike sessions at gym, but haven't run in a month.
saw podiatrist, got new shoes, going to start again this week.

plan is to run and alternate with stationary bike when shins start to play up, as even after 4 weeks they will start to hurt (eg if i have a heavy day at work).

anyone have experience dealing with persistent shin splints?

HELP

How painful are we talking about? How much do you weigh?

I've never really experienced them but I'm also into hiking so maybe my legs are already used to it.

run more

Everytime I jog when my left foot come down the area just a little below and to the left of my knee hurts, it hurts when I stay in a certain position or walk too long too. What do?

>had to stop at week 3 of c25k due to shin splints.

I had the same issue starting out, I'm glad I didn't drop $100 on super special running shoes because the problem completely went away after a few weeks and now I can run 5miles/day without issue.

Do what you're doing now, lay off the running and use a bike until your shins feel better, pop some NSAIDs for the pain, and ease back into it. Stop running again if non-muscular chronic pain returns.

see a doctor

did you wait more than four weeks? i can pinpoint the are on the inside of my shin where it's tender by poking the bone, so i assume it's stress fracture for it to still be an issue. granted, i haven't even run on it yet, but i am certain it will get worse if i do. heavy days at work make it flare up a little.
fucking pisses me off because i need to run to pass a fitness test for the defence force, but if i'm just making things worse, i'll never be able to get in anyway

generally i don't feel it (walking around etc). but if i need to jog or do a lot of up and down movement at work, i begin to feel tender there. squatting down makes the feeling very obvious. it's not excruciating, but it is wrong, because i never had this before starting running.
i'm 85kg at 6', mostly of muscle.
i do a lot of walking at work as well as climbing up and down scaffolding, so my legs take a bit of a beating, but the running has fucked my shit up.

Every day I take the following at about midday after lunch:
Vitamin C, Vitamin D, calcium, krill oil, glucosamine and a multivitamin.
I run at about 8pm

Shooting for a sub 12min 2 mile today, gonna make it brehs

i've used it on my knee, wrists, and back on separate occasions. really helps with slight extra support throughout the day as well as when working out, when applied correctly. it's more of a luxury. or if you can't take down time from training for whatever reason, kt tape helps you that much more. but it's kind of a luxury. you don't HAVE to have it when training or rehabilitating. it's not so much like needing to wear a splint.

it will curl up and hang off you if your clothes rub against it. it will stick fine otherwise, even when sweating buckets. what you really want to do is have it on all day. or after your workout and shower, apply new tape. you eventually forget about it. also be sure to take other measures in recovery and rehabilitation, and have enough down time. sometimes taking one more day off, or having a light day, can be more beneficial than going as hard as you usually do. just giving adv so you don't spend a bunch of money on tape and regret it.

>did you wait more than four weeks?

More like 1 week, but I had a few weeks after that where I would only run two or three times a week. Every time I felt minor shin splints post-run I would take 2 days off, and eventually I started not having to to take any off.

>fucking pisses me off because i need to run to pass a fitness test for the defence force

I started running 6 months ago for the exact same reason, and yeah it sucks. At first I couldn't run more than 100 feet without my feet/shins/knees screaming bloody murder. Just don't try to run through non-muscular pain, you'll only aggravate things.

cheers m8, i'll just listen to what my body is telling me i suppose

Got 5.5km in 30 minutes today for the first time. Before I did around 5.25 km in those same 30 minutes, so feel good about being a bit faster.

I wear Saucony Kinvara 7s; usually switch them out at around 400-500 miles, while doing 70-90 miles a week.

Cheers dude. This running shit get expensive. Well not really but still. Shoooez.

fuck boys is there a lifting routine to make me a god at running?

Starting strength. Strong legs make each step easier.

Anybody here own a treadmill? I want to buy one, but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. There's a couple extremely cheap second-hand treadmills for sale in my area, but I don't want to bother with them if they're dogshit.

My left knee exploded on the inside...

Doctor said it was probably IT Band syndrome, gave me some stretches to do, but they didn't help at all.

Haven't run more than a mile since... April, maybe... Bicycling sucks, elliptical sucks harder...

Treadmills are dogshit. Invest that 60$ towards good shoes.

>My left knee exploded on the inside...
What do you mean? What happened?

I don't know... I was running and then it suddenly started hurting. I haven't been able to run more than a mile, 1.5 if I'm lucky, without that pain coming back.

There's no visible swelling or redness.

Yah. Nice that shoes and maybe a watch are literally the only requirements though.

Am I gonna make any progress as a beginner while running to exhaustion

Ran a mile in 5:48, is that good?

I'd say it shows you're getting fairly fit. Keep going lad!

You're gonna get burnt out. Just run what you can comfortably and then slowly go up in mileage.

The reason I'm asking is because in college I used to run track because it was mandatory, but in half a year I could barely run 3km so I must have been doing something wrong

I go on an elliptical machine for an hour a day.

Who /machinewarrior/ here? And i can exercise my mind by observing a kino as I go

You can run to exhaustion once just to see what conditioning level you're starting from, but running to exhaustion for training is a bad idea for two reasons:

1. It's hard to measure progress. Some days you'll have more energy than others, and that will affect your run. On all but your worst days, every training run should be a bit more than the last (unless you're prepping for a race), but still doable.

2. You will get fucking injured.

Don't run when hurt. Buy a foam roller.
For me, I also do an ice bath for anything over 10 miles, it's awful but fuck if it doesn't work.

Ok. Long distance fags.... How do your ligaments and connective tissues "toughen up"?

Time scales, distances, techniques, things you avoid? How the hell do you run +HM without bits of you peeling off the bone?

bmp

Is it possible to go from running 7.7km (~5mi) in 38m42s to

Yes.
Mix up long and slow with short and fast.
Intervals, fartlek, google is your uncomfortable resource.

I've been doing this for 4 weeks and I got a question. I only really slow down but I never actually have to stop. I feel like I could go on for 15 miles without a problem. Is this bad? Should I be stopping? I see most people stop and walk, when, I assume, they get tired... or do you stop just to gather yourself for running fast again? Bit confused on what I should be doing.

can doing intervals on the rowing machine help improve running times?

There's no trick to it, just running more.

Starting 1y ago completed c25k, b210k in november, HM in march and marathon in july. Times are kind of shitty for my age (27) but I like running on trails alone so the distance and maybe elevation are my only challenges.

Cool. I'm 1 yr in too. No races, just upping my distance and trying not to damage myself. Averaging 50 miles commute cycling, plus aim for 30+ miles a week running. I got down time so there is less commute miles these last few weeks.

I wish I could just run and run and run.

Done my first park run, 5k in 30mins 20 seconds.

Last two Sundays I've done a 10k which has taken me about 1hr 4mins.

Going to do another 10k today.

Recommendations on improving my time?

suggestion for a durable carrying case for muh phone while running (usually i buy these cases and they turn to shreds after a month)

>trainer has me doing every set of resistance training to failure
Is this normal? I know running is endurance based but going to failure with every set goes against everything I know. He must know what he is talking about since he regularly does ultras (even done way past 100 milers multiple days in a row) and places in the top 3, and he has the CSCS credential along with a doctorate in physical therapy.

I found more slow, recovery runs actually helps quite a bit.

I'm shit at running and I was obese half a year ago but lost almost 20 kg, so I never really did any running.
If my goal is for example to be able to run 3.2km in 14 min how do I go abut it?
Last time I ran on treadmill with 8km/h, 1% incline and it took me 24 min. Do I run 8.1km/h next time and 8.2km/h next next time?

You are at the point where you should be doing speed drills. Since I'm guessing you have never done them, start with one per week and alternate between them. Make sure to warm up and cool down with 1 mile easy pace.

>tempo run
You'll have to do a time trial and find your mile best for your tempo pace. Ignore the 5k, 10k bullshit on this chart, just focus on your mile best time trial. Start with 2 miles for the first 2 runs, then bump it up to 3, then 4, then 5. As you do more speed work, you'll find tempos easier.

content.nike.com/content/dam/one-nike/en_us/SP15/running/nike-run-club/Training/NikePlusRunClub_Pace-Chart.pdf

>intervals
I'm a fan of 800m and 1 mile repeats sibce they are very effective, even though I do not like them. My interval workouts go like this with 3 minute rest between each interval (easy jog at 11min/mi pace): 800m, 800m, 1 mile, 800m, and 800m

I calculate my 1 mile interval with tempo pace - 20 seconds, and 800m with tempo - 40 seconds.

>hill repeats
You should ideally do these first if you've been mostly running on flat or very low-grade hills. Just run up and jog down a long hill, preferably at 1/10th to 1/5th of a mile with a grade of 8-10%. Start with 4 and work yourself up. You csn include these every week but I woukd suggest doing a recovery run the day after.

>fartleks/striders
Not a fan of these, just speed up a lot randomly for about 10 seconds to two minutes during a regular run. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to recover between them.

As you get more experience, you could incorporate two per week.

I'm aiming for a half-marathon in October. I assume this will all still be good?

But basically, I'm running at about 10 minute mile, so I should do a mile at about 9min, then recover for another mile at say 11 minute mile, then back up to 9min mile? Basically interval training?

At this point, you will not get as much benefit from it, but even a little can be a major benefit, esp. if you do tempos. But with the interval, rest with an easy jog or walk for 3 minutes, then do another. Again, I would heavily suggest adding 800m intervals as this will help your VO2max (the main point of doing intervals) better.

Another suggestion I forgot to think of is a beginner friendly interval: 30s hard, 30s easy, 60s hard, 60s easy. Repeat 8 times.

Yes Sir!

I have a pretty decent hill the other side of the park to me, so I should be alright for running up and then gently jogging back down it.

Avoid treadmills at all possible. The only time I use them are only if it's below 0F out (at that point, the smount of layers needed begins to bog you down with weight), extremely deep snow, or if it's 30F out with freezing rain.

The one on the right I would not buy since there is not much room. This is also true with the other, but not so much.

Run a lot. Literally. Do two long runs in a row. Also, learn to brisk walk at regular intervals.

Who here /restday/?

Ran about 12 miles this week 3miles at a time

Training for tough mudder in September

Just quit smoking a month ago and running is getting easier and easier.

also holy fucking shin splints

If it is an intense pain on the side of the knee, it might be ITBS as your doctor said. I had that last year, and rolling did help a lot.

>Sunday
>Restday
Fucking neets

>not running after work when the sun goes down
>not going on a long strenuous run after a stressful day to get your mind off the rat race

I sincerely hope you fellows don't do this.

Running at night is pretty comfy. But long runs are reserved for the weekend.

stay mad wagecuck

Asspained that you don't get the days of freedom to perform physical activity, wagecuck? That's the great thing about being a NEET, we can do this at any time. That is unlike you since you either have to get up early or wait until you finish your day of slavery. If I wanted to do a long run every day, I can do it. Good luck fitting that into your schedule, wagecuck.

Anyways, off to do a 100 miler just for the sake of it. Be sure to get plenty of sleep, wagecuck. Tomorrow is going to be a hard day of slavery and my NEETbux is not going to make itself. It needs your contribution to society. Another day, another dollar.

How do I get better at running?

>former fat
>have lost 85 pounds
>run maybe 1-2 times a week in addition to sprints and weightlifting
>cant run/jog for more than 1.5 miles before I am too fatigued or my back hurts too much

Should I just run more frequently? by the way I am 6'2 210lbs currently

6'5 210 here, I think the last week of Hal Higdon is broken. Was going to pull a solo HM, and I ended up scrubbing out 9 miles in.
Just mad at myself for getting 10 last week, and now this.
Should I just repeat last weeks runs of 4,3,2,rest,13? Or do I need to augment it?

go slower until you have a stamina base and then do speedwork. youre probably tempted to go too fast and burn your energy very quickly

>couldn't deal with the pain
>muh higdon borkden
>what do
Suck it up. Repeat the week. You might be "fit" but is your brain in the right place?

>tfw got heart palpitations on my run yesterday
I've had them before and I've gotten my heart checked by a cardiologist. I don't have any disease, it's just so fucking hot here in Texas. I am waiting till tonight to run. It is nice being able to eat whatever, then just run at night and not worry about being fat.

Heat can be a bitch, take it easy. It is a cool 75 out there for me today, plus 96% humidity.

I wear a fanny pack so the weight is centered behind me. Phone bounces around a little bit in there but Idk too much, good for hiking and stuff too.

cotopaxi.com/products/del-dia-bataan-3l-fanny-pack

>How far have you run this week?
Ran 55 this week in six days. Get a rest day every two weeks and that was today
>What are you working on
XC Season, trying to run sub-16 on a hilly course for state championships and stuff
>How was your last run
Today was rest, but yesterday was my long run. 14 miles at 8:18 pace. Ran in the morning before eating so the pace was slow, but otherwise, the run was pretty good. Talked to some Spanish guy halfway through
>Any new year you've been enjoying
picked up a pair of Zoom Victory Elite XC 3s for cheap on ebay. the 4s are ugly af. Also ordered a USATF duffel bag and will be grabbing a pair of Pegasus 34 in a few weeks for the season. Other two items arriving sometime next week

Learn to dodge tree roots.

I like running but I like biking more. Current cycling plan has 2 days a week for cross training. How can I get the most out of these two days @ 1hour per day. Just run for 1 hour straight? Intervals? I have a HRM too if that helps at all.

What is your objective? You mentioned plan. What plan?

I started as a cyclist but found that for fitness and weight management I would get more bang for my buck time-wise from running.

So I tried it and over the course of 12 months I have shifted totally in my emphasis. I now run more (time spent) than I cycle.

trainingpeaks.com/blog/is-running-good-for-a-cyclist/

Start there I suppose.

>To run or not to run? The answer will vary depending on whether you are a road, mountain or a cyclo-cross cyclist. But before analyzing any particular group of cyclists, it is important to know that, from the physiological perspective, we may perform aerobic work during both cycling and running, yet for our muscles these will be completely different stimuli. When you are running, concentric-eccentric contractions occur (concentric ones during propulsion and eccentric ones during braking). Whereas when you are cycling, only concentric contractions occur (muscle shortening). Therefore, the mechanical cost of your muscle work will vary considerably. When you are running, the muscle fiber damage that occurs is significantly greater than the damage occurring when you are riding a bike. Thus, a two-hour aerobic run session will be a much greater strain to your body than a two-hour aerobic training session on a bike.

etc etc

>inb4 muh gains

My earbuds started sounding weird and distorted near the end of a run a week ago. I sweat like a motherfucker so I chalked it up to that and set them aside to dry.

Tried them out today and they sound a little better, but still pretty bad. I live in tropical humidity, could they still need drying out, or should I shop around for a replacement? In which case what's a good choice for a poorfag?

>could barely run a mile 3-4 weeks ago
>ran a 10k today

felt bretty good

Don't know if you're in US but you can find a decent set of earbuds for $10 at your local grocery store.

If unlooped earbuds don't work go with Yurbuds for $30 (saw them on sale for ~$20 at my local Target yesterday).

Do yall take Beta Alanine? its killer for endurance

try putting them in a plastic bag with dry uncooked rice. works with some electronics. with luck the rice will absorb the water.

>tfw I had runner's diarrhea 3 times in last two months
I'm too scared to go running again.

running rookie here
how hard is the jump from 10k to 20k
or is that a moronic question? ive run four 10ks now and they're feeling comfortable, should i shoot for 20 or will i get rekt

Just go trail running. Shitting in the woods is part of the sport.

I ran 10 minutes on the treadmill after my workout.

not particularly fast either. I was running at about 7 miles an hour, easy pace, wasn't breathing hard.

any tips on getting into the zone while running?

run outside instead of using your little virtual reality padmill

First time /run/poster
Ran 25min 5km, though it's babby it was a good feeling. What do you guys recommend next? Go for a faster pace or go for the 10km? Do I have a shot with 5min/km of working up to 10km in a couple of months?

Do a few 5km a week, add a longer slower one in. Slow the 5k's down a bit, swap one out for a shorter fast one, take a day or two off. Repeat for a week or two, then do 5.5km, and up it slowly. SLOWLY.

>inb4 you become the faggot posting because muh shin splints a plantar fasciitis

it was 8 weeks from my first 5k to my first 10k and i am an undisciplined rookie

Heh, that's what I have been doing. Only once I had to actually make that smelly messy orange pudding pile of shit.

Can anyone comment on the effects of running on libido? I've had problems getting an erection and now after a month of running, 2-3 times a week for 25-30 minutes, I've noticed a bit of an improvement. Also what are the overall effects of running on your state of mind?

I want to run in the mornings but I live in a bad neighborhood with lots of niggers and crime. What do?

>Active physical exercise which improves blood circulation has resulted in increase in the ability to get erections

WOW YOU SHOULD WRITE AN ACADEMIC JOURNAL.