Are SS and SL memes?

about to start either one next week

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/programming/a_clarification
twitter.com/AnonBabble

no

yes

how does he go so low and still keep his spine extended?
is it mobility, coordination, strength?

I do the same. It's easy, just keep squatting deeper and deeper and one day you too will be able to.

Actually don't do that. You'll just end up destroying your knees to feel like you're meming in real life

> t, dyel

Rationalize Clarence Kennedy busting both his knees at 22 yo thanks to his retarded ATG squat stance

I seriously doubt that's how he damaged his knees. Probably bombing out with huge weight, which could happen to anyone under the right circumstances.

Clarence blew out his knees not because he squatted too low, but because his knees passed his toes

They're good serious routines.
Won't build much muscle (not that anything you can do as a beginner will, not really), but you'll get stronger.
Do SS, learn how to power clean. It's the best way, long term.

It's called squatting 1plate ATG.
Once you can squat twice the weight high bar, you can do that kinda shit too on warm ups.

This is absolutely wrong

Do strong lifts and learn how to barbell row. It'll be best for you in the long run. Barbell rows will build your rear delts and upper back to prevent muscle imbalances.

Suggest you go with SS. Read the forums on startingstrength.com for advice.

it was literally because of steroids though

Removing the single one exercise that focuses on full-body power, when you know that you'll introduce the rows anyway in the intermediate phase and there are many other exercises that work the traps and the rear delts, some that are even introduced during the beginner phase by trainees that want 'more aesthetics' (aka bigger arms), doesn't strike as a smart decision.

SS, and read the book first or you'll end up missing a lot of theory and supporting exercises and know realistic results.

Just do 5/3/1. Four days pw or 3 if you alternate DL and squat every week with front squats and RDL or whatever deadlift assistance on their respective days.

I took a break from lifting and hopped back on SS. Sitting at 280 squat, 365 dl, 145 OHP, 195 bench and changed power cleans to full cleans. Honestly it's a great way to consistently build your lifts up (or get back into it).

Hopping on TM next week
M: Squat, Bench, Clean/RDL, Chinups
W: Squat, Push Press, Pullups
F: Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Chinups
Sa: Speed snatch/clean, Jerk, Pullups

He had chronic inflammation in his patellar ligament in both knees. He didnt "bust them" or "blow them out" grow the fuck up. He's back to lifting just fine now, and basically every serious lifter will have this injury at one point or another. Just goes to show how fucking new and weak all of you are.

If you want to be a powerlifter you have no idea how to handle a barbell and need to learn the absolute basics, then sure, do either. For he personally I only did SL because it was literally the first beginner program I found. I was skinnyfat and wanted to look good, do it in had my time again I'd have done something different, Greyskulls most likely. Make sure you know what your own goals are. Don't do a program just because anons on a Cambodian jackfruit sculpting internet forum told you to.

Fucking autocorrect. You got the idea though I hope.

But why you gotta dis the jackfruit?

Whats with all the retards pushing meme programs lately? Beginner strength programs have been a staple on Veeky Forums since the beginning.

Am I right in thinking that his knee trouble is the reason he pauses every squat?

SL is godlike

Do SL but make sure to add pull ups, dips and even some bi/tri isolation to your routine

i can squat 1pl8, but if i go that low, my spine flexes on both ends

Doing the rippetoe diet for ss is a meme. The program is fine. Eventually you might need more volume on bench.

I have an athletic build with well defined muscles, mostly from BW exercises. All I want is just to get bigger pecs and arms. SS and SL still viable programs for this or is there a better one?

>Most people will not eat enough during the program so they won’t recover and wind up getting stuck. Depending on your height, eat between 3,500 and 6,000 calories a day with at least one gram of protein per pound of body weight. The caloric surplus traditionally comes from milk. Supplements can be used to make up the deficit between meals and this requirement.

Linear progression only works if you're willing to eat like an obese guy. (and end up looking like one too)

I did SS and it's an extremely imbalanced routine. Gave me shoulder impingement but crazy good gains.

If I could do it all over again I'd do Jason Blaha's 5x5 srs

Or if insistent on SS I'd add pendlay rows and on one of the days per rotations do DLs first, 3x5 and not 1x5

Both are retarded cookie cutter bullshit programs ripped off straight from 60's and 70's training logs of juiceheads, there's nothing magic in the 5 sets or 5 rep sets, no science backing them up.

The absolute best beginner training guide there is online is fuzzy's take on "starting strength".

I would post a picture of my body to prove you wrong, but I could be identified based on my scars (used to be involved with a fight club, stabbed multiple times) and my gang affiliated tattoos from when I spent 10 years in one of the toughest prisons in the country (I’m, probably, in the top priority list of the FBI right now).

I know your type, though. You think because you can squat and deadlift heavy that you're a big guy with an impressive physique. I have built plenty of muscle without those autistic lifts. You probably think you're superior because you follow the routines of a fat little redneck man with no real knowledge of building muscular or strength. You don’t know shit about muscles and strength if you have not trained the way I had, I literally learned from the best, and you got no shit on me, you fat autistic neckbeard.

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on Al-Quaeda, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I’m the top sniper in the entire US armed forces. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the USA and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the United States Marine Corps and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit fury all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.

i don't even go to the gym, but if you're a newbie, i don't think it matters. you can switch the program after a few months after you gain some strength and see some results.

i'm planing to start SL next week for the only reason that it has an iPhone app. i probably tho won't because i'm a fucking loser.

*teleports behind yuo*
*unsheathess parmesan*
>yoink
*stole yo pasta*
*psssss, nothing personnel kiddio*

startingstrength.com/article/programming/a_clarification

Just follow Reg Park's advice if you actually want to make sustainable gains and develop good lifting habits.

>i don't even go the the gym

then why are you giving advice

blind leading the blind, or in this case the DYEL leading the DYEL

Knees out, opening up the hips.

Roids make your muscles grow faster than your bones and tendons will allow.

I'm doing SL over SS because I do not know how to power clean and it seems like a substantially difficult lift that I would require a trainer to learn it.

Power cleans are easy and very gratifying

they're both fine FOR A BEGINNER. that means you do either of them for maybe 2-3 months and then you move on.

ignore the emaciated bitch boys who swear by their little "bodybuilding split" dog shit as they fear heavy weights and need to convince themselves that THEY aren't the problem after all.

>nearly just dropped $80 on athlean-x program

i can't commit to a routine since my mobility is so bad and i can't do squats or DLs. i wanted a spoonfed routine

>spending money on a routine
stop

Do you still need a routine?
I'm a PT and i'll write one up for you if you're interested. If you are, tell me about your height, weight, BF%, goals, how long you've been lifting etc

i can't do a single pull up and i can't do squats or DLs correctly. it limits my options with routines since all of them have those

I spent 2 months focusing on form and stretching in order to squat and DL properly. You can replace pull ups in any routine with negatives until you can do them properly.

no excuses.

6'0" about 195lbs and maybe 20% BF. novice lifter. i want to get to as low BF% as possible and develop my overall musculature. maybe number 1 goal is aesthetics and #2 is strength if it comes along with it

You don't need to do pull ups, use a lat pulldown machine, it works the same muscles.
For squats and DLs in terms of mobility idk, but google about it, there are probably ways to do them, and even if you can't, it's not obligatory to have them in your routine. You could add leg press, leg curls, leg extensions for replacing squats, and a hip hinge movement like a glute bridge and another back exercise to replace deadlift (and no, squats and deadlift are not necessary for hypertrophy, they are good but not 100% necessary).

Did you just not do legs for those 2 months? Or did you just do lunges and other things instead

This. SS will make your whole body a lot stronger in the less amount of time possible (which is the main idea of the program). What else can you ask for?
Unfortunately deadlifts and squats are perceived as femenine exercises because they build your ass and legs so much, but the program is just perfect for a beginner. To the point we could say every beginner should do it. After all the program only lasts a few months, then you can move to any volume program or bicep curl program you want

lunges, light squats, rack pulls, RDL. Buncha other shit.

Got my squat and deadlift up to around 200 before realizing I had 0 form or awareness of what my back was doing. Pretty amazed I didn't snap my shit up.

Yes, if you don't workout your body goes into muscle starvation mode and holds onto gainz. By starting to workout you release this and any strength you had will fall away. Just eat more and think about it.

>Read the wiki
>Do the wiki
>Lift until your bf% is low enough to manage /fraud/
>Leave humanity behind
>Put yourself in a coma, right babe?

Ok I'm just going to spit this out and you can decide to do with it whatever you want.

Here is my advice: You should cut weight first and get to below 15% bodyfat, but really you should cut to maybe ~10% first. Basically we want to start you off where you can see some abs and decent definition.

This is how you do that: you track what you eat for 7 days. Don't change anything yet just figure out what you are eating to be 195.

Once you have that number, let's just say 3,000 calories, we need to lower that number slowly each week so that you are losing roughly 1 pound a week. So for starters drop to 2,700 and see how long that allows you to lose weight. If you go 7 days in a row with no drop in weight, remove 100-200 calories and try that for another 7 days in a row.

Ok now when you're down to about ~160-170 (wherever you feel lean enough that you are around 10%) then we need to get you to put on muscle. (For both directions, fat loss and muscle gain, slow is good. This is a slow process, don't try to lose weight fast, and don't try to gain fast you'll just fuck yourself up.) So to put on muscle, let's say you're 160 at around 10%BF, eating 2,500 calories now. Well now add +300 calories week

OK so what should you do for a workout?

Well if you truly are novice, do SS or SL. If you were the guy saying he can't squat or DL (or simply don't want to do those movements)
then replace Squats with a front squat, a split squat, or some loaded movement where you "squat" that you can load up. For DL you can do SLDL, RDL or something like that where you can hinge at the hips and load up on weight.

If you are a beginner, what matters is practicing the main compounds: Bench, Squat, DL, OHP, Chinups/pull-ups, Rows etc.

DO NOT WORRY about doing a ton of isolation or accessories yet, they will not help you as much as the compounds will. It is way more important to get to a 225 bench that it is to load up on heavy DB flys.

THAT'S IT MAN GOOD LUCK

thanks

They're a meme for UPPER BODY unless you add accessories like incline bench.

The only idiots that think SS is a meme never used a squat plug, did your even read the book?

If you are looking to gain size then yes they are memes but if you're a noob looking to get stronger then they are viable programs.