Choose a germanic kingdom and formulate a survival plan

Choose a germanic kingdom and formulate a survival plan

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_conquest_of_Hispania
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Vandals
Don't fuck with Rome so hard that it draws them across the sea to fuck your kingdom up beyond repair. Restore Carthage, abandon Libue, work with berber tribes to establish a strong communication system of riders on horseback, and start getting farms working to feed the masses

What about the inevitable expansion of a certain peaceful religion from the east?

First things first, user

On that note, if I did have the power of hindsight... I'd prepare a large contingent in the army of mixed Berber and Vandal cavalry. Support this with a large set of archers to slam the peaceful visitors of the East, and hopefully they bring their Prophet's great message somewhere else. If we win, Arius be praised

What are you gonna do when mohammed takes you on a wild ride?
Or when the belisarius LARP train wreacks havoc upon you for reforming carthage?
What if the nobility doesn't like you reforming a dead republic none of them heard of prior to this

Meant for

>Franks
Do everything literally the same except abolish Gavelkind and name a fucking singular heir.

>Frank

Create a very specific document forbidding any kind of use of the Salic law in terms of inheritance.

French can thank me later.

Like I said, I would prepare my own cavalry to take on such a large threat of mounted solders under Muhammad. And to avoid Belisarius being drawn to my lands, I'd avoid pissing them off. He'd probably fuck off to the land of Ostrogoths and try to retake Rome in some deranged dream of reforming the West.
As for the nobles... that would be an issue. I see your point. Perhaps restore Carthage as a center of trade rather than the center of a long dead people. Tunisia would be for the Vandals: Vandalia

>Visigoths

Diplo annex Sueves, they have the same culture and religion so it should be easy, rival Vandals, pick naval ideas and build a huge fleet so they can't cross into Iberia, also rival Franks, they should be easy to take down in the beginning and ally Burgundy on the premises that the enemy of your enemy is your friend. Keep friendly with the Ostrogoths, using the common rivalry against Vandals as a starting point. After blobbing the whole West cross into Britain for even a larger army, challenge the Sarmatians if they won't flip friendly so you can use them against Byzantium.

We really don't properly know how the conquest of north africa and spain worked out. Likely a weakness of the system, low loyalty of the populace to the rulers, general low development.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umayyad_conquest_of_Hispania

Ostrogoths, just suck Justinians cock more and pay tribute.

>Goths
Don't migrate into the Roman Empire in the first place. Instead, migrate back to the Baltic Sea coast and establish a Kingdom centered on the lower Vistula. Then bring the remnant Germanic tribes in the region into the Kingdom, thereby forming a state encompassing much of modern day Poland. Focus on defending the Kingdom from any invasions from the east, ultimately sparing Central Europe from the Slavic menace and bringing prosperity to the region for centuries to come.

>hunned.jpeg

>this is your mind on EU4

The Ostrogoths freed themselves from the H*nnic yoke in 454 and what was left of the H*nnic Empire was finally disposed of in 469. The Ostrogothic Kingdom in Italy was established in 493. If they followed my plan instead of going for Italy, there would be no H*ns to be H*nned by.

>vandals
At the outset the historical system was like this: 1.give your nobles all the good land and don't tax them and 2.force Roman nobles to poor land and tax them to Kingdom come and 3. Use religious persecution to keep German masses occupied and Roman masses scared
So here's how if fix
1.it give 75% of land to German/Alan soldiers in equal field system on the condition they must fight
2. Centralise a few key cities and give the rest city state Liberty as long as they paid taxes and contribute in time of war
3. Split remaining 25% of land between nobles (Roman and otherwise) on the condition they must run state industries (mining, horse raising, ship building etc.) and if they do well allow their children to inherit it
4. Attempt to build towns in nomadic Berber regions with use of qanats and then form the remaining into new loyal confederations that must all provide cavalry in war
5. Use Carthage to build small standing navy and then send out colonising missions to form cities around med
6. enforce sensible crop rotations and measures to avoid soil erosion (state forests)
7. Build canals and roads and ports for infrastructure
8. Build mainly Arian churced but allow private non Arian temples to be built
9. Militarily focus on North Africa, keep on good terms with Romans and try get a title off them, build trading colony for their merchants
10. Eventually invade Visigoths as they are being fucked by franks
Hopefully we will be strong enough for when the peaceful new religion comes

What a stupid idiot you fucking are

Here's how the visigoths survive:

STOP FIGHTING BETWEEN YOURSELVES
GET FRANKISH HELP ONCE THE MUSLIMS INVADE
FORTIFY THE NORTH BANK OF THE TAGUS. DON'T LET THE MUSLIMS GO ANY FURTHER THAN THAT
AGAIN, DON'T FIGHT AMONG YOURSELVES. RECOGNIZE THE AUTHORITY OF TOLEDO
GET UNITED WITH THE BASQUES AND GIVE CATALONIA TO THE FRANKS IF NEEDED, THEY WILL TAKE IT ANYWAY

>Franks
>Create early Charlemange figure
>Drop gavelkind system
>Conquer Burgundians, Ostrogoths, Visigoths
>Reunify into "Western Roman Empire" or simply "Gallia"
>Make empire centralised and feudal, divide the realm into vassal kings
>Make Paris Capital calling it "Third Rome"
>Prosper

>Franks survive and get to make France
>Visigoths survive and get to make Spain
>Ostrogoths merge with locals after being beaten, become Italians

The only ones that get shafted are Vandals and even then no one gave much of a shit after Belisarius destroyed them. Not worth playing as them.

Let Franks become bigger and reform them into Gallia with latin-frankish culture.
Let Visigoth stabilize and reform them into Hispania with latin-goth culture.
Let Eastern Romans reconquer Ostrogoths and Vandals and make sure they survive.

>Visigoths
Convert to Islam.

Ostrogoths had the best starting position. It depends on when you take control but it would probably be best to appease the Romans and the Pope.

I'd try and encourage adoption of Nicean Christianity and Latin in the Kingdom (would probably need to purge some fellow Germanics) and actually act as a viceroy of the Emperor.

Franks
>centralize goverment in Paris with a province goverment structure
>pitfalls: vandals/religion of peace from south, huns from east
>solution: establish natural borders along rhine, alps and pyrinees
>means: exchange military and economic support with romans in war against vandals in exchange for allies in war against burgundi (annexing them) and visigoths (annexing everything north of the pyrinees)
>with natural borders estabilished become economic and technological powerhouse with excellent climate
>reject christianity and islam as dominant religions to block power from rome/arab lands
>potential expansion into england

r8 me

>Ostrogoths
>best starting position
> A wild Belisarius appears!

As the vandals, try to become catholic, extend ties with the berber peoples, try to expand while also giving land grants to agriculture and other products we could nationalize a large portion of. Take Good care of the roman infrastruxture we have, and ideally merge the berber and germanic populace. Ideally we could then expand eastwards into Morocco while trying to retain contact with the europeans. When the muslims arrive, call for help from our catholic northern friends, and mobilize our own army to meet them in Egypt.

What’s wrong with female heirs?
>Ostrogoths
Became foederatti and send my son to the byzantine court and to follow generals so whoever wins the succession I can befriend

8/10 breddy gud alt history possibilities here.

This would also block the spread of christianity North, allowing pagan religions in England, Scandinavia and probably Germany, Poland and Estonia to survive for several centuries longer

The Romans invaded because the pro-roman regent and future pro-roman King were deposed and killed. By conversion to the roman sect of Christianity, encouraging Latin and living as living as a vassal King its doubtful Justinian would invade. Italy being absorbed in to the Empire proper through marriage and general diplomacy would be a benefit for both Italy and the ERE anyway.

If those religions survive until the early modern period it's entirely possible that they would survive as continuous traditions until the modern day.

The Franks and much of Gaul was already Christian by this point. Enforcement of a ban would just result in opposition to your rule among Frankish and Roman subjects.

>>The Franks
No.
>>much of gaul
Only the south really.

I thought the Franks were Alan, not Germanic ?

>Vandals

Join with berbers coz cavalry and desert stuff
Pull marius reforms for soldiers
Expand to morocco
Pull fleet to get canarias
Dominate sahara trade (very important)
Eventually trade or conquest the kangs

It was pretty useful in the hundred years was though.

Where would the Lombards go if there's a viable Ostrogoth Italy that hasn't been fucked over by the Eastern Empire? Can't stay in Pannonia because the Avars and later the Magyars would settle there. Maybe the Balkans?

you wouldn't drop the Gavelkind?

hard mode: no Franks

Ostrogoths had very little impact on the Italian to Roman transformation. It was the Lombards that changed everything.

He said "chose a germanic kingdom" not "chose an iranic kingdom"

If you are keeping Francia united Paris is a bad spot for a capital, either Aachen to be closer toe the German parts of the empire in conflict with saxons and magyars

or southern france to protect against the moors and secure italy

While OPs map is titled 460AD the it is actually closer to 490-500AD. The Kingdom of Soissons was annexed by the Franks in 486AD. The Kingdom of the Ostrogoths was formed after the Gothic invasion Conquest of Italy by the Goths (488–493) and it was only in 493 that they managed to kill Odoacer and th last of his men. If we assume it is the very earliest possible date 493 then the Franks are still pagan but their conversion began 3 years later in 496 any time after that and they are Christian.

In 300AD Christians were limited to southern Gaul, by the late 400s and early 500s they were in all the major population centers and began spreading to the rural areas as refugees to escape warfare and famine. At the same time Latin refugees usurped Gaulish Celtic they also converted the remaining rural pagans to Christianity.

built the great wall of lybia so it would force arabs to cross the desert to reach tunisia where they would get btfo,

also vandal rulership should abandon arianism to forge common romano vandalic identity.

I was enough of a cuck to convert to Christianity, might as well go all the way.

howling

O do I wish the vandals lasted.

long live the basque people nor arab nor germans

Funny thing about this map is that it is at the time of the Battle of the Catalaunian Plains. I.o.w. if we don't work together we will all get slaughtered by Atilla.

Why canarias?

this is why louis d'anjou was the rightful king of hungary and poland

you realise he invaded italy because he wanted to even tho they were chaldean's and sending tribute