Is doing 3x8 instead of 3x5 acceptable on a strength program...

Is doing 3x8 instead of 3x5 acceptable on a strength program? I know 3x5 is better for strength but I'm a bit paranoid about not gaining muscle so I just want to throw on 3 extra reps per set.

Its not ok

Enjoy your nogains

just do accessories if you feel the need. The faster you get your strength levels up the faster you can start hypertrophy focused training with actual weight. That's the secret to gains most people here seem to be oblivious about for some reason. Going 3x10 on bench with 50kg will grow your chest less than doing it with 100kg

its ok. Or you can add a fourth set of 8-10 reps to the 3x5. And thereby increase it to the same extent, except you also get bettwe strength progress.

Mark Rippetoe even have an article on this. People here think rRip only says you should do 3x5, but he have advocated a fourth set of 8 reps for more volume, and he has a big section back on the SS book for assistance exercises.

Because when you do 3x10 it's physically impossible to add weight over time

Why wouldn't you gain muscle?

Its not impossible. Stop thinking so black and white. You can add weight over time, but its a bit slower.

3x8 puts you at more risk. If you tire out before your last rep and hit 7, you literally will not make any gains. The 5 rep range luckily keeps you from this.

Of course you can you fucking faggot, just like you can grow size going 3x5. Neither is optimal for what you desire

>3x8 puts you at more risk. If you tire out before your last rep and hit 7, you literally will not make any gains. The 5 rep range luckily keeps you from this.

Do you even lift? this is the dumbest thing ive heard. If you go to near failure you will gain muscle. It doesnt matter if its 5 reps, or 15.
There are pros and cons with different rep ranges, and in the end, over your lifting career you should have done them all. Stop with this retarded black and white thinking.

I knew a guy once who decided to do this. he made it half way through his second set and then BOOM! he snapped his CNS in half. now he can't lift, just does yoga and brisk walks.

Hello, how's your first week on Veeky Forums? Lurk more faggot.

Ive been here since Harsh, Tinytrip, Quad and TYVD.

Fuck off.
If you dont know shit about lifting then dont try to teach people.

Seriously fit has become full of broscience shit like this lately.

1-5 for strenght
8-12 for hypertrophy
6-7 does literally nothing and that's why you should ALWAYS avoid heavy sets of 8 cause if you fail you'll end up having wasted your time. Actually some recent studies shows that 6-7 reps can actually KILL gains but yeah sure stick to your broscience and enjoy your nogains

>being this new

shoo shoo summer

Ok bro

>Actually some recent studies shows that 6-7 reps can actually KILL gains but yeah sure stick to your broscience and enjoy your nogains

Are you for real? Or are you just stupid?
Strength training and muscle gain goes on a spectrum, just like youre on the spectrum of autism. You dont get gains from 1-5 reps then suddently no gains on 6-7 reps then going back to gains again with 8-15 reps. If you found a study that said this then you dont know how to read studies, and check them for errors. Or youre downright stupid.

Brad schoenfeld have created some well made studies which show gaisn from light weight training, as long as they went to or close to failure.

You are literally falling for a meme you dumbshit.

I don't understand what's wrong with the picture in the OP

I don't mean to be a dick but don't post when you don't know shit about training lol. 7 reps? Say goodnight to even MAINTAINING your gains.

I just posted it because it was somewhat relevant, I wanna look pretty strong.

he's clearly DYEL tier if he's fallen for the 6-8 reps meme

But I exclusively used 6-7 rep scheme and put on 40 lbs of mass. I mean I was taking a lot of risks when by using creatine as well with my usual vitamin D, fish oil, anadrol and tren supplements.

But if creatine put on 30 lean lbs, thats still 10 lbs from the 6-7 rep range I did.

Lurk more dude. You're embarrassing yourself.

All you guys bashing 7 reps are fucking dumb.

230 pounds, 6"1, 11% BF - I do a shitload of cardio, shitload of crossfit, shitload of bodybuilding style movements.

Any time I touch a weight outside crossshit, I'm exclusively doing 7 rep, ensuring failure on the 7th.

Bro science is hard today

that guy is lean with almost no muscle mass, no chest, tiny arms, small forearms, small legs, am i supposed to be impressed by his physique because some homo drew lines on it in MSpaint?

his adonis belt is good though

What kind of bell end thinks 6-7 reps dont work. If you can do 5 reps, building it up through 6 and 7 to achieve 8 then your getting stronger you plebs

>230 pounds, 6"1, 11% BF

post body pics, you sound way higher than 11%bf