Why did javelin throwing remain very common until the Middle Ages while the atlatl died out?

Why did javelin throwing remain very common until the Middle Ages while the atlatl died out?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amentum
youtu.be/PQoxWBnuTGg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I used to carry a javelin in public. No seemed to notice or care that I was walking around with a weapon. Of course, the 2nd. Amendment protects my right to bear arms, and I suppose that is why I never heard anything about it.

probably because they don't expect a 400 lb guy in a trenchcoat and fedora to wield it correctly

You can't stab someone with an atlatl

Woomera (atlatl) were still in use in Australia when europeans arrived. It might be because they didn't have bows. So I guess if you're going to be a ranged only infantry man, you may as well use a bow.

No, I was in good shape. I threw the j in high school and a couple years in college. There was an undeveloped city park a couple miles from my house that i used for practice on my own.

>It might be because they didn't have bow
They're just better at killing large game.

I tried using an atlatl once. It was extremely awkward, but I managed to hit the target eventually.

It's a surreal weapon. I have to keep reminding myself it exists.

Yes, but why wouldn't a Greek or Thrakian peltast use one if it allows for more power and range? It's not much more to carry

It's like a finglonger but for spears

Atlatls have a lot of power but you cant actually throw the darts too far, it is strictly direct fire weapon, due to the way you hold it, aim it and release it, while javelines can be used in parabolic trajectory.

Javelins are just easier to use and make too.

Atlatls were also very popular in Meesoameirca at the time of contact, moreso then bows and arrows.

Except that's wrong you fucking faggot.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amentum

why not use bows?

Europeans frequently used throwing strings on their javelins and throwing spears, which serve the same purpose as an atlatl, but without the awkwardness. They're also better for large throwing weapons, while atlatls are used for darts or arrows.
Throwing strings were used both in ancient times and the middle ages.

You can even see it on the OP image, if you look closely at the jav he's holding.

Atlatl would principally be used for hunting rather than warfare. If you found yourself in close quarters fighting, a javelin can be used as a short spear/ has a use beyond just being thrown. An atlatl does not really have any use other than what its intended to do. If you tried to whack someone with it, it would probably break fairly quickly.
tl;dr atlatl is a hunting weapon, not a fighting weapon

Crossbow.

Its Australia m8 would you use a bow or a javalin to stop a pack of vicious Emus?

youtu.be/PQoxWBnuTGg

Good eye. I had never noticed this before, but by using string instead of a stick you can wrap it around the javelin so it spins as you throw. Clever.

javelins became heavier than an atlatl missile could feasibly be, and javelins did not need to hit a moving fast-moving target at extended range

Kek'd