Ab work?

Is "you don't need to isolate your abdomen" a meme or reality? I mean, abs are hit with other exercises sure, but shouldn't you isolate them like any muscle you want to have good definition? And yes, you need lower bodyfat for a great physique, but there's some people on here with visible abs at like 15%+ bodyfat as well.

If you do work your abs, post ab routines please. I want a six pack like some of the guys in the CBTs, - pic related

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_xdOuqokcm4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Be twink, eat 1500 calories a day, and do daily crunches 3x20 and you'll have his body.

Also, sticky.

you need to train abs MORE than every other muscle due to their make up of primarily slow twitch muscle fibres. The abs are designed to be in constant work (protecting your spine).

I train abs directly every other day, and they probably get used indirectly in my workouts during the week.

Yes you should train your abs. I fell for the "squats and deadlifts are enough for abs" meme, and I didn't start seeing my abs until I started training them. I also feel much stronger and safer when lifting too so the "squats and deadlifts are enough for core strength" is also bullshit. It's mostly perpetuated by 20%+ bodyfat lifters who never see their abs anyway. If you want them visible at higher bf % you should definitely train them.

Pic related are mine. They're not excellent but they're there. Made with the ab wheel only, pretty much.

Hanging leg raises and the ab wheel my man

Core stability is important too. Planks and related stuff

>durr do you need to work out abs to have nice abs?
No dude I'm sure your squats will give you a ripped popping 6 pack, I've been making insane gains especially my chest and arms with deads and squats just deads and squats all you need are deads and squats maybe some bench here and there yknow but make sure you do your 12x1 deads and squats

I forget all the science-bitch names so pardon the crudeness of the descriptions...

General/upper abs:
Decline situps 5x20 (consider holding some weight as these become easier)
Lower abs:
Captains chair 5x20
Obliques:
Side crunches 5x20
Hanging side leg lifts 5x10
Side planks 4 sets, each side, 15 seconds, all back to back

Whole thing takes about 30 min. I do it twice a week. Pic is me. Yeah, I'm a mulatto and fucking loving it!

Double dubs. I demand to be check'd.

That old pic was taken awhile ago. Here's a pic I just took. They look a little better since I started the routine I listed

What ab wheel stuff do you do? Anything more than foreward&back then diagonal?

How much and how often too?

Just got one and I'm tired of seeing zero ab progress on a cut

Nothing more than forward/diagonal really. Stuff like pause at the end, or go halfway back then out and back again if that counts, varying speeds, but mostly regular reps.
I do it 2-3 times a week, I just do whatever I feel like on the day. 3x15, 3x10 with variations each set, AMRAPs. I do it at the end of my workouts so it depends on how tired I am or if I have a heavy squat/deadlift day soon.

Try a farmers walk with weight on one hand for your obliques too. Someone here suggested it and it feels amazing, works great

Rec for a good ab wheel to buy?

Do you do them during your workout or separate, like when waking up? Does it matter?

I dunno, I just use the one my gym has.
Use it on my lifting days. Rest days are for rest, I don't want to exhaust my core when I need it the next day.

Russian Twists are really good as a finisher.

This. If y'all want to get Satan's Suspenders that girls like. If you can even have it.

>tfw 12% Bodyfat and still dont have abs

wtf thats almost mutant fucking hell lmao those obliques

those are not obliques dum dum

what are they and how do you train them

+1

user that's fucking weird and gross nobody wants that.

Hip flexors I believe

For the pic in OP, you just need to be lean. For actual full, good-looking abs, you should train them. I don't usually trust YouTube, but this guy does a great job of summarizing the science on abdominal hypertrophy:

youtube.com/watch?v=_xdOuqokcm4

15% body fat with good ab definition, you have to isolate them

It's a tendon so it's shape, size (and by extension body fat level it appears at)is primarily genetic.

The transverse and rectus abdominus sort of insert at the top and the obliques insert at the side, so bigger abs and can enhance the visibility at higher bodyfats

what are the best ab exercises and how often should i do them?

check out the abs of gymnasts. that kind of aesthetic development requires a hell of a lot of work.

most lifters have fairly shit abs in comparison to their quads biceps etc. its easy to skip abs, no one talks about abs, no one really knows how to hit them best. if abs are trained at ll, its usually with endless crunches or cable crunches or something similar.

do hanging leg raises and L-sits and in a year your abs will be awesome.

No memes, how long does it take to get abs if I'm starting from skinnyfat and already workout regularly, but haven't focused on abs much?

I'm thinking of adding an ab exercise every other day.

So ab wheels are worth it?

Yes. It's not even expensive.

guy in op doesnt have very good abs, its just good lighting. there is way better abs out there. anyway isolate ur abs if u want a 6pac. scott-herman has good ab videos. I think dont use weights too much because that makes your abs bulky and gross, but u really need that brain-body thing with abs, also do a lot of reps in super sets for maximum burn. but make sure ur form isnt comprimised. i like hanging leg raises personally.

1st for FRONT SQUATS being an ab obliterator exercise.

Dont let the crossfags have all the fun

Roman Chair situps as a warmup for every workout alongside cardio

Ab roller work at the end of each Push day and Leg day

Same. Been hitting front squats and full cleans a lot for a while now and my abs show more than ever right now

Glad I am not the only one who has unlocked this elder secret

m8 just replace all those exercises with an ab wheel. You can get the same amount of work done in 5 minutes instead of 30.

Ayyy lmao. You only need those if you can't float in the water.

I went to snap city from deadlifting 360lb or so BECAUSE i had done 0 ab isolation whatsoever until that point, and created an imbalance. Since then I've quit lifting and began boxing and have been doing ab isolation work for about 20+ minutes a few times a week. Much better, both support wise and aesthetically