your pic literally tells you which is better

>which exercise you do depends on which muscles you want to target

The pic answers your question.

t. retard that can't read his own images

Bent over barbell rows

t. likes bending over

>implying bent over rows are even 1/10 as effective as pullups

t. backlet

the difference in both is small and you development will be more or less the same with both. personally i do chins because i can load them up with more weight, and heavy vertical pulls make my lats respond best.

for the record, i did pull ups with a grip like that until i could do +35kg x 5 at a bw of 88kg and i saw far more bicep development than lower traps. my goal for the end of the year is to be able to do +50kg for a 5RM.

Chinups are supposed to work your lats better

Pull ups = width
Chin ups = thickness

Fat ass here. I can do 13 pull ups with good form, but only about 8 chinups till I have to start wiggling, and completely lose ability to do more at 10-11. Any explanation? 5'10, 200lbs

set of pull ups, chin ups, and hammer ups

absolute bollocks desu, who told you this, men's health?

they're the same fucking thing

Two different exercises despite sharing similarities. Do both.

your dimensions are fugged. That's like saying you can squat more than you can deadlift.

samefagging.
And usually people seem to do better at chin ups.

>not doing both

Pullups are more intense, which is why most people can't do them at first and even powerlifters have trouble with them.

/thread

>your dimensions are fugged
What does that mean? I'm telling you the way it is. The reason I am asking this is b/c its supposed to be the other way around. Any explanation? Bek too strong? Bicep too weak?

Neither, just fucking alternate them you moron.

PUxCUxPU
CUxPUxCU

Alright faggots, here's the truth.

Neither. They're both great fucking exercises for your back. Any "difference" between lat activation is so minimal you won't even notice. To the people who say chins are worse because biceps, do you think your elbow flexes by magic in a pullup? No, it uses the damn muscles right next to it that are barely weaker.

At the end of the day, they're so similar that you should just do the one you prefer. Or both. You don't have to choose between them.

same, cept im a skelly. for me chins put a bunch of pressure on my elbows and biceps cause i dont do em as frequency as pullups

6'3, 205lbs, can't do a pullup. Been lifting 4 months, I practice with negs and assisted every other day alternating with chins.

Best I ever did was 4 chin ups and 1 pull up, but that was miraculous. Is this normal or am I just weak as fuk?

I've seen people who can do chinups like champs but fail miserably at pullups. Never the other way around. So pullups.

pretty weak desu. 1 pull up at a combined weight (bw + weight added) of 205 is shit

I guarantee you've never seen them do it "like a champ" but rather they flailed randomly and you just fellated them over a shitty half rep.

why does an exercise being easier mean its better? snatch grip paused deficit deadlifts are harder than conventional deadlifts but undoubtedly less useful.

if its easy, add weight.

holy shit, that's a good idea I'm gonna do that

This is such a stupid fucking post

t. can't do pullups

it's a nonsense conclusion based on a bullshit anecdote. i do bodyweight and i can do plenty of both pullups and chinups, your post was just dumb as fuck

nah that post was just retarded. i see guys failing miserably at pulling deads with a round ass back so i guess i better do it that way right?

but how about neutral grip pull ups

I feel like my chest does work when i do those lol.

Why does everyone have to take a great exercise that works and come up with increasingly meme variations of it

Not a good analogy there. Pulls are harder because they put to more use muscles that chins almost ignore (OP's pic explains it). It's not like pulls will snap your shit like deads with bad form.

This is the one that is least likely to hurt your elbows or shoulders.

>Pulls are harder because they put to more use muscles that chins almost ignore
Like fucking what? All you're doing is twirling your arms around you fucking fairy, it's the same exercise just with a minor difference in emphasis due to the grip. Jesus christ get off your fat ass and go try both instead of talking out your ass

What is this bullshit

EAT MORE
WEIGHTED NEGATIVES

who the fuck has ever gotten injured doing pullups, or any bodyweight exercise that doesn't involve falling on your head. give me a break

not him but elbow tendinitis is not rare at all among gymnasts and shit. it happens.

pullups for Bushmode, chinups for Obamamode

>outlining shadows and highlights
why

kek

Weak biceps probs

Kek

I prefer chin-ups - both excercises are good so there's no real wrong answer.

not him but if you hold your arm out and twist it from supination to pronation you can literally feel and see your bicep tense up in supinated position and your brachioradialis tense up in pronated position

Like the shoulder, yes, you almost got it. Also lats. The grip changes the whole arm and the way it bends, you can try it right now in the air without a bar. OP's pic is as straightforward as it gets ffs lel.

>implying chinups dont use your lats
Nice DYEL shitposting m8

Pullups are harder because they tend to put your lats in a less mechanically advantageous position. Your biceps shouldn't be much stronger than your brachioradialis.

>even powerlifters

more like

>especially powerlifters

having all your weight in your bottom half tends to fuck up your pullup performance, especially if you have become a vessel for rippetoe's milk and sit at 30% bodyfat year round bloatmaxxing

All I got from the pic was that they do different things and I should probably do both. I don't think "better" directly correlates to easier or harder.

They're both good. No controversy here.

Tendinitis faggot. Neutral grip helps.

neutral grip pullups

>Doing meme-ups

lel let me teach you a little something about calisthenics kiddo.

The general consensus is likely that chinups are 'easier' than pullups to do higher reps which in turn probably lets you add weight to them quicker so IMO chinups > pullups simply for easier entry into weighted progression

if you're only going to do 1, pick chin-ups

>hits your chest in a unique way
>hits your biceps
>negligible difference in lat involvement
>hits your back in a supinated grip, whereas most back lifts (deadlift, rows) involve pronated grip

of course you can just mix it up and do both

Feel my lats more doibg chins

>hits your back in a supinated grip, whereas most back lifts (deadlift, rows) involve pronated grip

you fucking WOT m8?

My friend tried to get in shape by doing a million pull ups every day and now has chronic elbow pain, years after stopping.

Pull ups on my upper A day and chin ups on my upper B day

the only correct answer in other words.

Similar here. Do Push-Pull and have two pull days
Pull A: Focus on Deadlifts and rows, Do chin ups this day
Pull B: Focus on Pull-ups (and pull up accessories) and rear delts

Chin ups. If you want a V taper add lat oulldowns into your routine and you are golden.

I never found pull ups to be as beneficial as chin ups for my arms and back the. I think it's all about preference though. Pull ups will always remain a good exercise too, it's just I like chin ups better.

>tfw can do way more pullups than chinups

Chinups are easier which means you can do more work with them, but pullups are more practical as far as body functions go. You won't often find yourself in a situation where you can pull yourself up to something with an underhand grip.

>good form

What is reading comprehension.

Here's a
(You)

REEE why do people ask these questions?

You should be doing Pull-ups, Chin-ups and Neutral Grip Pull-ups.

I doubt you will have to pull yourself up off a cliff

I can do 30 pullups, but my palms are sweaty, knees weak arms are heavy, just thinking about hanging off a cliff from my hands. Fuck. I'm not prepared bros

If you're going to do a single exercise for your back might as well do heavy deadlifts. Hits everything.

6'4"
I found it easier to start on the angled pull up bars, my arms were too long to get a good pull. Then its an easy transition

I can't do either, how can I fix that?

Do negatives until you can.

Can also do lat pulldowns to help (~3x8)

Is the pull up the most Chad exercise?

It is all back strength, which most beta powerlifters are not as strong (proportionately to the rest of their lifts) in, your legs are literally just dead weight so if you skip leg day you can do them 24/7, and back is the most alpha muscle group anyways.

>>/r9k

>the virgin row
>the Chad Elevate

Both are GOAT, I just do chinups because it feels more natural to me.

chinups because they work more muscles

why did something so stupid make me laugh

I like pullups more, they feel more natural and heavier to do, with chinups I feel like my biceps take away alot of effort from my back.

So noone actually read the retarded description?

There is no better, they are both great. Do both

any difference between them is very small wont make a noticeable difference. If you only can do one do neutral grip

Neutral pullup

>grip more stronger than regular pull up

>easier to lockout on bottom than regular chin up

GOAT

what do you mean by "angled" pull up bars?

> not barbell flies

>struggling with bodyweight grip
oh boy.

I can do 2 plates for reps nigger

>hardest exercises ever
>1. human flag
But that's one of the easiest in the list.
t. can do 3

Your friend's fucking retarded

I usually do chins, max width pullups, and reverse grip barbell rows in the same workout.

Do you do them both on the same day or alternate?