ITT the insane battle results around the world

ITT the insane battle results around the world

Koreans can be fucking madmen when they're against the odds.

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20160305222418/https://opac.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/opac/opac_details.cgi?lang=0&amode=11&place=&bibid=2000762337&key=B145622717332219&start=1&srmode=0&srmode=0#
goodreads.com/book/show/3146909-nanjung-ilgi
slee39.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/significant-battle-2-miracle-at-myeongnyang/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592–98)#Naval_power
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Stay in currents that make it hard for the fleets to close
>Shoot them with cannons while they have no ability to retaliate in kind.
It's not really that insane.

Making what you said possible is pretty fucking insane, especially when they're massively outnumbered.

Sometimes you can use your outnumbering as an advantage. Most people who just look at wikipedia infobox of random battles and only pay attention at the opponents and the casualties without even studying how the battle took place ought to read a little bit.

>Koreans can be fucking madmen when they're against the odds.

Nah,

Feudal Japs were tremendously incompetent in naval warfare.

>Sometimes you can use your outnumbering as an advantage.
This. For instance, the Persian fleet at Salamis was more than triple the Hellene alliance fleet, but in the narrow isthmus the Athenians used the Persian numbers to their advantage, corralling and packing the Persian ships together to prevent them from using their full strength.

But as I said, taking the advantage of such situation is not a simple stunt. Admiral Yi was just too fucking great.

Setting yourself up where you have a clear field of fire and your opponent does not while you pummel him might not be trivial to arrange, but it's hardly the hallmark of "too fucking great". Olaf Helset did something similar at long odds (on land) in the German invasion of Norway, set up a roadblock and ambush German soldiers moving near it, mauling a force that had trouble even finding out where they were taking fire from. Is he "too fucking great", or a reasonably competent commander in a mostly meaningless skirmish?

Gooks failed miserably at the Giza Mass Autism Array though

First of all, Joseon soldiers at that time had low ass morale and tired due to the massive defeat of Chilchonyang Battle.
Second, Admiral Yi was having a digestive problem that caused him to puke and have diarrhea.
Third, victory in Meyongnyang battle, which was not a small skirmish like you put it, was so decisive, even Japanese ARMY surrendered because they were cut off from supplies.

I don't know what makes a general or admiral great if these don't.

>First of all, Joseon soldiers at that time had low ass morale and tired due to the massive defeat of Chilchonyang Battle.
As opposed to Norweigan soldiers supplemented by random rifle club members after Oslo fell?
>Second, Admiral Yi was having a digestive problem that caused him to puke and have diarrhea.
That's very unfortunate, and speaks to his toughness, but it doesn't make him brilliant.

>Third, victory in Meyongnyang battle, which was not a small skirmish like you put it, was so decisive, even Japanese ARMY surrendered because they were cut off from supplies.
You COMPLETELY and utterly missed the point. Good job you fucktard.

>I don't know what makes a general or admiral great if these don't.
What makes a great commander great is actually making difficult tactical, operational, or strategic decisions. Shooting people who can't shoot back doesn't make you a great commander, even if it does lead to an important victory. Blasting people apart who have vessels and munitions that are decades to centuries behind yours is just taking advantage of a technological advantage that the commander probably had nothing to do with. The overall impact of a battle is meaningless to the degree in which it was handled skillfully or not, which is WHY I brought up Midtskogen in the first fucking place. Outside of personal illness, you have the exact same equivalences in terms of the tactical computations that went into it. A demoralized, badly outmatched force managed to arrange a tactical setup where they were able to engage at local superiority, owing to the lack of ability of their enemies to fire back. There are literally hundreds, if not thousands of examples of that in military history. If you're not willing to declare the Helset's of the world to be unparalleled military geniuses (and I for one am not), you shouldn't be sucking Sun-Shin's dick either.

1/2

He was a decent naval commander, but he crushed forces that were badly inferior to his in terms of ship design, doctrine, and armament. He did absolutely nothing that guys like Duarte Pacheco Pereira, Mem Lopes Carrasco or Dom Francisco de Almeida didn't also do, and I bet you haven't heard of any of them.

You're repeating that the Japanese navy were just standing targets in this battle. I'd like to get a source on that.

Someone post the Shapur vs Valerian one

I'm drawing it from Yi-Sun Sin's own diaries and Todo Takora's report.

web.archive.org/web/20160305222418/https://opac.dl.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/opac/opac_details.cgi?lang=0&amode=11&place=&bibid=2000762337&key=B145622717332219&start=1&srmode=0&srmode=0#

I don't know where you can get the former online for free. goodreads.com/book/show/3146909-nanjung-ilgi

Or if you want something rougher and less scholarly, you can look at thisslee39.wordpress.com/2013/05/08/significant-battle-2-miracle-at-myeongnyang/ or even just the wiki article on the overall war en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_invasions_of_Korea_(1592–98)#Naval_power

Japanese vessels almost inevitably did not have cannons installed. They were designed to board and seize enemy vessels. Take that away from them, and they have literally no means of attack besides leaning over the rail with a bow or a musket and taking a pot at someone on the other ship.

And Yi took advantage of that. He chose the best place to fight considering the capability of the enemy. That's what makes him a great admiral. He rused the enemies to think that THEY are the ones in the advantage in the place of battle, then fuck them in the ass.

>Japs
>Naval warfare

Pick fucking one. The only real success they ever had at naval warfare was against the goddamn Russians, who have been notoriously awful at anything nautical for centuries.

They were extremely experienced in naval warfare due to the decades of war in Sengoku Jidai. Do some research.

And literally hundreds is not more of military commanders have done the same thing. What makes Yi better than any of them?

I'm not saying he's BETTER than other great admirals. However, he's one of the greatest admirals, definitely.

Also, There are many other aspects that make him outstanding. His tactics that value firepower of canons rather than boarding were ahead of the time in Asia. He was very strict about punishment and rewards, leading his men to trust him even when they're greatly against the odds, etc.

Not really anything silly (maybe Narva) but it's the only image I have saved about battles.

Turtle Ship

>I'm not saying he's BETTER than other great admirals.
Then what the hell is your standard for a "great admiral"? I've listed three mostly unknown portuguese commanders dicking around in the age of exploration INdian Ocean. All three won at long odds in tight spots by exploiting their superior technology against a more numerous, primitive enemy. Would you say that they're all "great admirals"? If so, how do you distinguish the mere "great admirals" from the truly stupendous ones?

>However, he's one of the greatest admirals, definitely.
Then you're going to have to come up with something better than you have already.

>His tactics that value firepower of canons rather than boarding were ahead of the time in Asia.
Not really, since the Panokseon design was over 40 years old by the time Yi Sun-sin took command.

>He was very strict about punishment and rewards, leading his men to trust him even when they're greatly against the odds,
Again, hardly unique or even uncommon. What makes him better than say, Marcus Atilius Regulus?

References to Geobukseon long predate Yi Sun-Sin

>I'm not saying he's better
>I'm just saying he's better
You do understand how English works right? Great and one of the greatest are very different things, and saying one of the greatest necessitates that he was superior to a large number of great admirals.

I don't care that England lost the war, but damn there were some good battles and i cry everytime Henry V makes the Crispin's day speech

How? They're a fucking island for fuck's sakes.

They're an island that spent most of its history as a non-unified or semi-unified political entity. The main enemy was always "other Japanese guys", and you rarely needed to travel far by sea to fight them.

They literally weren't though. Joseon sent numerous incompetent generals to combat Japan and persecuted the competent ones out of suspicion.
When it came to Yi, Joseon was on their last straw. After surviving several political purges and backstabbings, Yi Soon-shin finally had the opportunity of saving Joseon.
Myeongnyang isn't the story of a nation surviving against all odds. Its the story of capable man proving his honor to a country that didn't deserve him.

>That's very unfortunate, and speaks to his toughness, but it doesn't make him brilliant.
It means he has more potty eureka moments

>these estimates
>mfw Agincourt may as well have been 9,000 English vs 12,000 French, with only 1,500 French killed

The death of a myth...

meme battle
Jap communication was never severed despite the supposed greatness of Meme SunShit.

>preempt your preemptive strike

Those numbers seem to low considering most the prisoners were butchered.

someone post the dam one

>"Leave the turks to me"

based

why are there faggots in this thread that are assmad about yi sun shin. is it just eurocentric jealousy. every actual historian ranks him as the greatest admiral, even above nelson. nelson was an actual meme admiral

>"hurrrdurrrrrrrrrr"
every single strategy in warfare relies on outwitting your opponents through positioning and cunning maneuvers you brainlet

1) Japan is a fucking big island and its people are mostly agrarian (i.e. landlubbers).
2) Japan is inwards looking most of the time. Became isolationist.
3) They're up against the Chinese (who were the best seamen in East Asia due to the Spice Trade) and Koreans (who had a good navy after centuries of fighting nip pirates).

>Surrounds you with inferior numbers and annihilates your army

>literally become the textbook example and poster boy for an example of a perfect battle

It averages to 7500 vs 24000 so it sounds better that way
You're welcome

And deaths 350 to 6250

"Decisive Tang tactical and strategic victory"
The city had like 30,000 people when the battle started
They ate everybody in the city
They won by entirely depopulating their own city.
I can't decide which side is worse at this "war" thing

The tactical victory is very relative. I would rather say : "Yan purrhic tactical victory, decisive Tang victory".

Jejus fucking christ, why did they do that?

I loved these in Age of Empires

>against the odds.
They basically had ironclads against the Japanese's shitty wood boats.

The Japanese also had no knowledge of naval warfare.

The Panoskeons used at Myeongyang weren't' the turtle ships, although they still vastly outgunned what the Japanese had available.

>Ironclads in the 16th century

How the fuck does Italy lose so badly to Australians