Hook grip

How long does it take until your thumbs stop getting ungodly sore?

How likely is it compared to mixed grip that your grip will fail on heavy deads?

> hands too small for hook grip

Just kill me please

chances are your hands arent too small, you're just not used to doing it.

Look at the oly athletes in the smallest weight classes like Long Qingquan; 5'1 competing at ~125lbs - he will use hook grip and you probably have much bigger hands

How does this not break your thumb

Whenever I do HG, it feels like my thumbnail is about to be ripped out.

So this is the true hook grip.....

For fucks sake I've been going thumbless and holding the bar with my hands shaped like a "hook" this whole time.

kek I did the same thing when I first heard about hook grip.

Still do it on pull ups though

When I try I feel like I'm going to twist my thumb out of position in the place I show in the picture, I know it's probably due to technique but could it be possible my thumb flexibility is just not up to par?

I swapped from mixed grip to HG just fine, you just have to get used to it. I also re pulled my max of 585 with that HG after working on it for a month or so. Didn't feel any less likely to fail. My thumbs do hurt like a motherfucker tho with my work sets at 505.

not the user you are replying, but I can barely touch my thumb with my index finger. I tried it doing only with the middle finger and I couldn't give a damn about the pain. It just wasn't worthwhile because grip didn't increase and thumb obviously did hurt.

does anyone use tape for it?

I do

Whats wrong with mixed grip assuming you evenly change the hands between sets?

As long as it takes for you to stop hookgripping wrong

If you do it correctly it barely hurts

Olympic bars are only 28mm in diameter. Typical shitty commercial gym bars are 30-33mm, which makes a big difference for manlets.

Until you cause enough nerve damage in your thumbs to deaden the sensation of pain.

Use thumbless for everything if you want firearm gains.

I tried it once and it sent a numb tingle down both my arms

If you do it right your thumbs shouldn't hurt. That said i still do it wrong about half the time

More secure than mixed though

Your thumb shouldn't hurt too bad. Try placing your thumb parallel witht the bar instead of across. Your middle finger makes the hook and the pressure is spread out through the padded part of the thumb

dont go to gyms with shitty texas bars then lol

If you mow your yard a lot your thumbs stop hurting for some reason

i like the thumbless grip on ohp, close-grip bench and pullups, the path of travel is a bit easier on the shoulders

>firearm gains.
So will my 9mm turn into .308?

You'll literally lose feeling in your thumb if you do it too often.

HG should be for squeezing those last reps in.

Example of a dyel
>5 reps of 2pl8 double overhand
>5 reps of 2.5pl8 double overhand
>5 reps of 3pl8 DO
>4 reps of 3pl8 DO, 1 rep HG
>3 reps of 3pl8 DO, 2 rep HG
>2/3 reps of 3pl8 DO, 2/3 rep HG

>close-grip bench
nigga it's called suicide grip for a reason

wait what?
pic please

>thumbless grip
>bench
lmao bro fucccc no

I've actually tried it at low weight and it doesn't feel quite right, I don't understand why some people risk their lives for it

uneven bicep stress during the lift so you're more likely to tear something, which admittedly is super unlikely, but people get worried

it'll go away after a few weeks of use, there really is no point using hook grip though unless you're going to olympic lift, you're probably better off just using mixed.

best tip is to spend a few bucks and buy some shitty flexi tape (like 10 bucks for 6 huge rolls on amazon) and wrap your thumbs - that makes is a lot easier and more bearable.

No you won't you idiot.

Literally you just need to get used to it. It will take about two weeks probably, OP. If you are doing more than 5 reps, it will become painful, but otherwise it's far superior, feels like you are wearing straps.
t. I regulaly deadlift 4+ plates hookgrip and I oly lift with it daily, usually over 2 plates at least.

I am not convinced of the safety of hook grip during the deadlift.
The best anybody can ever say about it is "it's excruciating, but you get used to it." Yeah, I wonder if getting used to it might have anything to do with the fact that you're applying the heaviest crushing force you can to the delicate structure of your thumbtip.

>0.0001% chance of catastrophic bicep tear vs. 100% deadening the nerves in my most important digit
Gee, tough choice.