Friendly reminder to stop deadlifting and do weighted back extensions instead

Friendly reminder to stop deadlifting and do weighted back extensions instead.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5r9Rfo1vNDI
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22032222)
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1733981)
highintensitynation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Olympic-Lifts-and-Injuries-by-Dan-Geraci.pdf
hazardcontrol.com/factsheets/ml-mh/NIOSH-guidelines-and-revised-formula
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what is up with this anti exercise brigade asof late

most ppl on /fit are young, like yourself i imagine, and cannot forsee what lies ahead 10 years hence.
believe me, some exercises, dl one of hem, run such a high risk of damging you in a way that makes daily life intolerable that when it happens you wished you listened to wiser older heads when you had the chance.

when it comes to fitness i'm willing to bet you have never achieved anything remotely impressive

you are mediocrity incarnate

youtube.com/watch?v=5r9Rfo1vNDI

>i'm willing to bet.....

youre not willing to bet anything - youre willing to make anonymous posts on the interent about things yu know nothign about

every top lifter destroys his back during his career

Thats so fucking retarded. Vast majority of people who deadlift for decades never get any problems.

>1994
>old roy is most likely dead now

Rip old roy, may gains be with you

44 year old - been deadlifting for 10+ years

Stop talking bullshit about what you not know. If you use correct form you can deadlift all your life.

>If you use correct form you can deadlift all your life.
that's not true

>If you use correct form you can deadlift all your life.

this is objectively false. good form doesnt protect you from anything from a stochastic point of view, which is what we say say when we're looking at the lifetime risk of injury during a lifter's entire career.

Did a deadlift fuck your gf or something?

Fucking get lost.

that drawing is anatomically unrealistic

That's a selffullfilling prophesy, a statement that doesn't mean squat. You can run and stumble and injury yourself for life. The possibility is slim but ti exists.

Show us your body gay boy

Godd gains, Roy.

>You can run and stumble and injury yourself for life. The possibility is slim but ti exists.

and the possibility of injuring yourself with a DL is huge. plus, the injury from a Dl will likely leave lasting and serious damage.

you have to weigh up the risk/reward ratio, and with DLing, that pay-off looks decidely bad the linger you do it.

Checked

Total bullshit from a loser trying to make excuse not put in some work. Come with sources or fuck off.

>old people even lift slow
Fascinating.

Also he probably retired to snap city.

It literally isn't, you just don't know how to deadlift.

In what way, the spine scale? The muscle depictions?

>have shit genetics where my dad, me, and my older brother are plagued by lower back pain
>dad does literally hundreds of reps of meme exercise like the OP suggests to keep his back muscles strong enough to compensate for our shit spines
>still has issues
>get into lifting
>decide stifflegged deadlifts will really help my lower back form
>literally solves all lower back pain I experience in a few weeks
>retards on Veeky Forums will tell you to avoid the best full body exercise and the best exercise for preventing lower back pain (dead lifting is literally twice as effective at developing lower back muscles as the next best back exercise ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22032222) because they're too retarded to keep their backs straight while lifting (ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1733981)
>It was concluded that ligaments did not strain sufficiently to contribute substantial resistance to the trunk flexion moment, relegating this responsibility to the musculature.
Now fuck off back to no gains and lower back pain ville.

you're a newbie reporting a newbie effect - and that is the opposite of what ppl here are saying i.e. that long term DLing is deletritious to back health.

>two citations supporting deadlifting as an excellent back exercise with no risk of injury inherent to the movement
>zero citations

Sure.

highintensitynation.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Olympic-Lifts-and-Injuries-by-Dan-Geraci.pdf

>Supporters of the use of squat, deadlift and the Olympic lifts contend that these
exercises are safe when the skills of these lifts are taught properly. However, a 2002
study by Raske and Norlin found a high incidence of injury in the even highly skilled
weight lifters. Raske and Norlin (2002) found an average injury rate of 2.6 injuries per
1000 hours of participation by competitive elite power and elite weightlifting lifters.
This equates roughly to at least one injury every two years from four hours of weekly
weight training. That may sound like a reasonable rate of injury, until a few things are
considered. Major injuries, which were defined as not being able to lift/compete as
planed for over a month occurred at a rate of 1.16 injuries per every 1000 hours of
participation. At that rate if an athlete weight trains in this manner for four hours a week,
they would have one major injury from weight training within five years. And according
to Raske and Norlin‟s (2002) statistical data, there is a 35% chance that that major injury
will be to the lumbar spine.

working out for 3 years deadlifting twice weekly, back is the only thing I haven't injured kek. Have a lower back muscle strain once a year though which lasts a week. 5pl8 1 rm

>professional athletes get injured
Holy fuck. Call the news.

See

inb4 this sub 2 plate deadlifting pencil neck comments on this

>>professional athletes get injured
>Holy fuck. Call the news.

From the article which you havent read:

>Had the subject surveyed by Raske and Norlin (2002) not been skilled lifters, it is
likely that the injury rate would have been much higher. One study showed that 39 of 71
(39.4%) of novice powerlifters were injured within their first 17 month of training. Many
of these subjects had at least 2 injuries and the average time lost to injury was eleven and
a half days (Brown and Kimball 1983). The injury rate for novice Olympic weightlifter
could be expected to be similar to those of novice powerlifters because the injury rate
between the two forms of lifting has been shown to be quite similar by Raske and Norlin
(2002). The higher rate of injury shown by novice weight lifters may more accurately
reflect the likelihood of an athlete from another sport getting injured by these
weightlifting tasks.

bump

The only time I ever felt pain in my lower back is from squats, never deadlifts. The second I go cat stance on a pull, I drop the weight and try again after a break.

DL is the best exercise for lanklets and you can fuck off.

>tfw incredibly tight hamstrings and can't touch my toes without bending knees
>tfw struggle to have ass high enough for diddly

It was diddly day today and I noticed I had to really force myaelf to have a higher ass because of my shitty hamstrings, I did a couple of warmup reps with my ass way too low.

femur is too short

>femur is too short
different people have different femur length bud

>lower back is from squats
Cause your form is shit, or you are not bracing properly.

I did say 'ever' - it was the one time I good morning'd a squat when going for a PR. I can choose between potentially gm'ing squats with low bar or potentially blowing out my kneecaps with high bar.

t. 6'7" lanklet

This is why strength lifting is fucking retarded.
After 1/2/3/4, there's no reason to go higher unless you're a dumb ego lifter

Yes, top. These guys aim for performance not safety you moron.

Wow, call the news again. Most novices are stupid and don't pay proper attention to form.

Daily reminder that isolation is only so good and ultimately complete integration of the posterior chain and posterior cross slings is a must for proper movement and health of the body.
The body doesn't work in parts, but as an integrated whole. Isolation has its place, but only if there is a weak link in the entire chain or your a bodybuilder who feels a particular spot is lacking

weighted back extensions aren't the safest either. i recall reading some data that indicated reverse hypers as the lowest shear highest posterior chain ratio. fuck me if i can find that source again tho.
recommending highly effectice lifts that are objectively safer from a biological, scientific and kiniseology standpoint is """anti-exercise""" because they don't fit your validation seeking tryhard routines.

People often parrot the, "use good form and diddly is safe" meme. Good form is a buzzword. Humans factually will make mistakes. The difference between deadlift and other exercises is a mistake in form can be far more detrimental to the spine because you can
1. lift far more weight with it than the alternatives
2. you're in a far more spine compromising position with far more weight
And if you aren't utilizing the ability to go heavy then it's no longer a particularly effective exercise. It is the going heavy aspect that makes this lift so effective whereas with others you can use less weight and elicit a high level of muscle activation. Furthermore why even bother with getting so strong at breaking the floor? You're neglecting your strength levels past the floor which are much higher because you are artificially limited by your ability to break the floor. Rack pulls are much, much, MUCH better and safer than deadlift. You can go heavier while putting your spine at less odds of shearing forces while properly strengthening your muscles through the strength curve where they're naturally strongest.

Friendly reminder that i cured my backpain with deadlifts.

>Wow, call the news again. Most novices are stupid and don't pay proper attention to form.

You are a deficient reader of scientific literature. The study authors do not cite poor form as a reason for injury.

It is simply the inherent risk attached to the lift that results in injury.

Do they even discuss form?

>Do they even discuss form?

No, they dont. Here's an extract from the study's conclusion:

>From the limited data on the injury potential of the squat, deadlift, and the Olympic lifts, it appears as though there is an increased injury risk associated with these exercises. Injuries are more prevalent in the knees and back,
although shoulder and wrist problems can also present themselves to Olympic lifters.
Injuries to the back are of particular concern because they tend to be chronic in nature
and may shorten an athlete‟s career.

>t. I deadlifted once on an ez bar

>No, they dont

You've also got to remember that most kids on /fit are DLing what experienced lifters curl, so the "DL's are safe man, I've been doing them for 9 months now" testimony is about as reliable as Treyvon Martin's character references.

Hey do you know what NIOSH MPL/AL stand for ?

You are a deficient human being, kys

idiots or master baiters? whatever, do something more worthy with yours and anyone else' time.

Yes and it isn't applicable to anything I posted. Deadlift loads your spine no matter how much you use your legs. The only way to reduce shear force is to use bitch weight with perfect form eg it's all the same guy
lol no.

>not doing back extensions after dead lifts
It's like you don't even WANT aesthetic back extensors.

tell me

What if I do deadlifts and cleans instead?

do you really not know how to use google? it's a standard devised by a group for safe lifting, particularly in the workplace. it is not applicable to lifting far beyond loads you'd find outside of work such as in a heavy deadlift. You can read about it here hazardcontrol.com/factsheets/ml-mh/NIOSH-guidelines-and-revised-formula

Their formula produces a safe "limit" that would be considered less than beginner weight on deadlift for most healthy adult males.

What's with all the deadlift hate on this board recently? This is new

No idea, I'm too clumsy for cleans

They saw girls lift twice as much as they do.

maybe there's fewer beginner lifters on here now and ppl are starting to understand with experience that certain exercises extract a disproportionate cost to your long-term joint health.

I'm 35 years old, have been doing heavy compound lifts for 15 years, and you're full of shit.

If you do lifts correctly you're going to be in *less* pain when you get older, not more. Doing lifts correctly leads to stronger muscles, bones, tendons, and ligaments, which ultimately leads to less pain and risk of injury.

I know plenty of guys my age who go around preaching the "dangers" of heavy lifting (eg: deadlifts) and all of them are fat fucks who don't know and have probably never known what they're doing.

lol @ old 2plaets in the corner there

>98% of guys who get into exercise do so for the desire to just look better naked and be healthier
>some moron invents an insane sport of who can lift the heaviest amount of weight by whatever means necessary
>steroids convince young guys to stay away from things associated with "bodybuilding" because "man, all those guys are fake, they are lifting light weights then injecting liquid muscles into their muscles
>novice training programs are all powerlifting based
>a whole generation of guys who doing powerlifting shit, fucking up their joints and smaller muscles and tendons
>snap city is now snap nation

I feel like people like you are an outlier. If it were so safe you wouldn't constantly need to say so, it would be self evident.

The reason people seem to constantly trying to fix their form and topics like these keep coming up is because tiny mistakes with deadlift can be crippling and everybody makes mistakes.

Again people like you are an outlier. If you are happy with it by all means keep doing it I would too. But the evidence isn't on your side.

so true. the pendulum swing way too far from 80's style bodybuilding to today's youth where everyone thinks they're a "strength athlete" cos they're doing SS lol.

I deadlifted 515lbs at 148lbs bodyweight after competition cutting. That was undoubtedly impressive, and I have the medals to prove it.

The post you quoted hits the nail on the head. Part of me wants to let you idiots make the same mistake I did so more people have to suffer like I do, part of me wants to help. I'm just going to say this: good form or not, constantly putting that much pressure on the soft tissue of your spine is going to fuck you up eventually. It doesn't have to be a bad rep, even all the good reps are fucking you over. And that bad rep will come... Even roiders snap their shit up.

>hazardcontrol.com
so, you're an idiot.
>would be self evident
and an awful memester.
>I have the medals to prove it
sure you do.

My SS cert'd coach (fucking genius level electrochemical engineer / SS coach for fun) has a woman in her 70's doing two plate.

lelelelelele dedlift meems

Deadlift is basically a useless exercise unless you are trying to win worlds strongest man or some shit. Everyone I know who goes to the gym and looks great shirtless, including me, do barely any deadlifting. Almost none. So many other exercises can build those muscles and not leave you a haggard old crippled hunchback by the time you turn 50.

Mandlebaum, Mandlebaum, Mandlebaum!

ya i recently dropped DL and sqauts really dont see any reason to go back

You shouldn't respond to a quote chain unless you, you know, read the quote chain. The hazard control website is just pasta of occupational safety standards. I didn't bring them up nor do I think anything of them.

You however are a complete idiot with zero reading comprehension.

Just the ebb and flow of trends. Deadlifts were the be all end all, so contrary voices popped up to argue. Maybe anti-deadlift will become the status quo and contrary voices will pop up again.

>no u
>le reading comprehension
Idiot. I know how to read replies. Fuck off, and kys on reddit.

>If it were so safe you wouldn't constantly need to say so, it would be self evident.
People only need to say so because people make stupid threads fearmongering. You could make this argument about anti-vaxxers or flat earthers or sandy hook truthers.

>The reason people seem to constantly trying to fix their form and topics like these keep coming up is because tiny mistakes with deadlift can be crippling and everybody makes mistakes.
So can tiny mistakes in air travel, doesn't mean we need to shut it all down.
Life is dangerous. Know the risks and don't be stupid.

>crippled hunchback
that's what happens if you don't exercise. Deadlifts actually correct postural issues and reinforce erectors. In other words, you're a clueless faggot.
>shirtless
don't forget to skip legs day as well.

> I know how to read replies
Yes but again reading comprehension as you utterly failed to follow a quote chain, a basic requirement of reading comprehension. Now do you care to make a point then or did you just want to post liquid shit in type form for the next 10 or so worthless responses?

>"wow user you're so muscular want to help me move into my new apartment then fuck me in the butthole after"
>"user my bed frame isn't THAT heavy, why can't you lift it"
>"are your arms ALREADY tired? I thought your grip was stronger than that"
>"its only one flight of stairs, you surely can carry a weight of 125 pounds offset from your center of balance by 12 degrees and spread evenly over a 6 foot horizontal distance"
>"finally done maybe you should just go home user you look really tired"

>no u AGAIN
Kys, my man.

What leg exercises are you doing instead?

I would stop being friends with any guy who talks to me like that.

Also, as someone who has moved furniture, you should know that beds are best moved by detaching the boards from the rails and slats. You're not going to deadlift a headboard.

>People only need to say so because people make stupid threads fearmongering
If you ignore the daily "i hurt my back deadlifting whats wrong with my form" threads or claim those are fearmongering, sure...

> So can tiny mistakes in air travel, doesn't mean we need to shut it all down
Apples to oranges. Planes are machines. Deadlifts are more like riding a motorcyle, if anything but apples to oranges comparisons are always completely retarded so i'll stop there.

>2017
>Not doing the biomechanically superior trap bar deadlift

>i do deadlifts so i can help my friends move

lol ok m8 good one

>Deadlifts are more like riding a motorcyle,
And? If someone wants to ride a motorcycle, that's their business.
Except (I guess other than happiness gains if someone happens to be super into motorcycles and in great pain every second they're not involved with one) deadlifts actually have a benefit towards your health to compensate for the risk being taken, just as air travel has a benefit towards convenience (well, speed. Well, motion sickness. Well, comfo- you know what, why the fuck DOES air travel exist?).

Point is, as I said, life is dangerous. No shit lifting heavy loads with your spine in a precarious position has the potential to go wrong for you one day. So does crossing the street, so does traveling to foreign places, so does having sex or giving birth or having any sort of adventure.
If someone wants to deadlift and knows how to limit the risks as much as possible, there's no reason they shouldn't deadlift. We'd all be a lot safer if we spent our lives in padded bubbles, but what the fuck would be the point in that?

> Point is, as I said, life is dangerous
And I'd rather perform activities that reduce dangers when viable alternatives exist
> lifting heavy loads with your spine in a precarious position has the potential to go wrong for you one day. So does crossing the street, so does traveling to foreign places, so does having sex or giving birth or having any sort of adventure
More apples to oranges comparisons zzzzzzz

The risks involved in deadlifting create a scenario that'a far, far, FAR more likely to result in an injury than anything you could possibly compare it to short of willful ignorance. Placing abnormal loads on the body where a tiny mistake is clinically proven to be within range of injury is more likely to result in injury

Motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to be killed in a car crash than someone driving a car.

Are people who deadlift 35 times stronger than people who don't?

This fucking thread is so sad. Fat faggots telling other fat faggots not to perform one of the most useful compound exercise for their overall health ever. Faggots larping as professional athletes with medals and whatnot suggesting that good form is a buzzword. Broccoli vs Meat threads were more insightful

>More apples to oranges comparisons zzzzzzz
They're not comparisons, the point is shit fucking happens. I'll throw in fucking, I dunno, bull fighting and cliff diving and summiting Everest if you want something more deadly. If someone is into that shit and wants it in their life then power to them, I hope they study up.
Every single aspect of being alive comes with risks, it's up to those who participate to inform themselves and decide if they're worth it or not.
Bringing awareness to potential risks is fine, but hanging around whinging that absolutely no one should do deadlifts just makes you look like a jackass.

t. deadlift deficient dorks who don't fuck twinks

>>The risks involved in deadlifting create a scenario that'a far, far, FAR more likely to result in an injury than anything you could possibly compare it to short of willful ignorance.
You're more likely to injury yourself in your bathroom or in your kitchen rather than doing a specific exercise in a gym you're focused on, if you're not a meathead devoted to egolifting. "Apples to oranges"... right.

Do deadlifts cause 35 times the injury as compared to other compound lifts? Nice statistics you fucking retard.

They are 35 times stupider

I would say it's even higher. You are at leas 35 times more likely to get a deadlift-related injury from deadlifting versus getting a deadlift injury while not deadlifting.