I had been running for half a month, and then my back started to hurt a lot... I have scoliosis...

I had been running for half a month, and then my back started to hurt a lot... I have scoliosis. Went to see a doctor and he told me to stop doing high impact exercising like running and so on. I also really wanted to start weight lifting, but he told me I should avoid putting weight on my back.

So I'm a 22 years old fattie that cant lift weights nor run. What should I do? Swimming?

>he told me I should avoid putting weight on my back.

that's not the same as

>cant lift weights

There a way to fix slight scoliosis like this with weight training?

>telly my mother that my left shoulder is higher than my right as a kid
>"thats sweet honey now go to bed"
>wake up with excruciating lower back pain every day and cannot go on with my normal day if i dont stretch for 30 minutes

thanks

isnt squats kinda dangerous tho? i've read some anecdotes about people getting their back better with deadlifts and squat, but i tried lifting like last year and I also fucked my back pretty fast. Probably because my form was shit, but i dont feel confident about it.

Pushups? They are at least very very good for me and I also have slight scoliosis. Not fat, but it took me a while to make a few good ones

Sorry, I meant pullups. But pushups are good too I guess? And bodyweight squats. One legged if too easy. Everything else with pulls feels pretty good also

Still the same guy :)
Also leg raises for core/abs? I would suggest a full body workout in your nearest park or smth like that. But I'm also still a beginner

Put le hardcore meme big compounds out of your mind. Find yourself a gym with a wide range of machines, you'll be able to train your whole body without putting strain on your back.

I have scoliosis and my back used to hurt before I started lifting, now it doesn't

Squats and deadlifts especially strengthen your back muscles

I agree that every exercise has its place, but you do realize our cartilage is MEANT to sustain compressive forces. In fact, leg press is worse because it puts SHEARING forces on the spine, which cartilage should never undergo. If you're pushing against a seat, you're still putting equal tension equal to the weight, but it's perpendicular to the spine making it even more dangerous if done incorrectly.

My friend had scoliosis, he wrestled since 5 years old until he got surgery. The doc said that wrestling developed his back muscles enough to prevent his spine from getting even more fucked but eventually he had to do the surgery.

Imagine a drinking straw.
Now stand it up and press down on it.
It will hold the weight you can put on it with your finger.
This is a normal spine.

Now bend the drinking straw in half then put it up again.
When you press down the straw collapses.
That is a spine with Scoliosis.

I crushed the straw.
You lied

You were only suppose to use 1 finger, not your entire hand and not press harder then it could support.

Do it again, but now also pretend it has a spotter to help it.

Pretty sure doctors have already told me that i wont need surgery, just learn to deal with it

Also still confuded wether i should lift or not. As another user mentioned, bodyweight stuff could be good

I have scoliosis and I do bodyweights. My back hasn't been better in years and I no longer need opiates (or any meds at all) to function.. Do plenty of core exercises, start off light, and keep at it. Working out has been the best thing I've ever done for my spine.

you only do bodyweight, or something else?

thinking about doing the recommended r/bodyweight routine altho it looks like i need to buy some stuff

General practitioners don't know shit about scoliosis in my experience. I was only 15 degrees away from being in "critical" need for surgery. I ran track in high school with it (100/200m), I lifted for 2 years with it (no squats but still deadlifted) and I trained mid and long distance running with it for 2 years. Wanna know the most back pain I got? From sitting on a chair which forced my core to engage constantly and fatigue (squiggly chair on hardwood). If you strengthen your back AND core you will never get back pain. Stretching is also amazing for it

Just my 2 cents, get a second opinion from somebody that actually knows the area. Yeah chiropractors get a lot of shit but after I visited one for a couple of months he evened my shoulders permanently, reduced curvature by 7 degrees, actually recommended strength training to help even out my hips, and helped me understand my back and what was safe and unsafe for me to do. You should probably focus on losing weight through a deficit first, though

I started with a 10kg dumbell but use that now only for weight my dips and rows.

I have minor structural scoliosis (vs functional)
I do a lot of anti rotation exercise (i.e. Any variation of a paloff press) as well as work on my abs and glutes (via deadlifts, and Bulgarian split squats) in order to not make it worse. I do avoid barbell squats, unless they're frontal or zercher. Even then I must be cautious to avoid any rotation of or side flexion of my spine.
Heavy unilateral farmers walks will help with anti flexion of the spine.

everybody with scoliosis should test for arnold chiari syndrome, as this shit can fuck you up from "i'm okay" to "holy shit I can't walk" in a month if left unchecked.

High intensity swimming is great for your condition.

I understand that this is anecdotal, but my brother in his youth had scoliosis so my mother hired a swim instructor to train him, as it was one of the few sports he could do.

After two years of swimming four times a week, the condition mostly went away and his back appeared straight on x-rays. But they did this when he was 16, when his body was fairly malleable.

>I had been running for half a month

Bet your legs are sore.

fuck idk what shit it is but i cant really get any tests done for a year, as i gotta go abroad

well i really regret ignoring every doctor and not going to swim when young, but cant travel in time. thanks for the anecdote, seems like i really should swim and that's it.

i actually looked forward to go running, im bummed out i cant go anymore. its not soreness, its a really stinging back pain that didnt let me walk well for two days

...Press down with one finger on it's side a la leg press and see how easy it flattens like a pancake?

Kim jong kook has scoliosis and he said it gets painful if he stop lifting weight

>chong gook
unfortunate name

heard he wears an extra insole in one of his shoes bc his legs arent the same length