pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m
youtube.com/watch?v=65O4zz-hejY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>run
>5k 29m

sounds like walking to me OP

you should have checked the race path beforehand desu
Also, usually my times on the road are way faster than dreadmill times

Treadmill ain't the same, bro. Gotta learn how to pace yourself.

Also, hijacking this with threadly info

>Training Plans
halhigdon.com/training/
c25k.com/
runnersworld.co.uk/training/mo-pain-mo-gain-strength-training-with-mo-farah

>Running Form
runnersworld.com/run-faster/proper-running-form

>Pace calculator
coolrunning.com/engine/4/4_1/96.shtml

>Strava
strava.com/features

>Join the fags and share on Strava
strava.com/clubs/fitizens

>Non-Strava Map route planner
mapometer.com/running

>FAQ
pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

How far have you run this week?
What are you working on?
How was your last run?
Any new gear that you've been enjoying?

honestly i dont respect anyone who can run at least 24 mins. thats fucking 8 min miles, you arent fit if you cant do that. Skip Bayless ran an entire marathon with 7 minute miles at age 55.

I didn't say I was fit, but I am getting there. My first 5k was 39 minutes, last year. Still have that attempt on my phone.

Treadmill running is not real running. You run completely differently on a track or outside. Train that way and you'll do better.

Meh. When I was training for my 1.5 mile for the military I did all treadmill training. 9 minutes flat on treadmill, 9:15 on test (with lots of adrenaline). Work on form (/r/running) and get shoes with low hoe to tell drop (.1-.3 m) and the treadmill is a safer way to run. Always put the incline at 1 or 2, and midfoot/forefoot strike

>the treadmill is a safer way to run
not if you value your joints

it's better than asphalt, and i don't have a track nearby.

Did 1.5 miles in 10:52. 6th week of running. How am I doing?

Don't listen to the other user, progress is progress. Keep up the good work

Treadmills are only good with an incline. Otherwise you're just moving your legs forward and not really running.

Fuck treadmills though, I find them too boring and rarely do more than 5k on them

honestly i dont respect anyone who can't deadlift at least 455 lbs, thats fucking 4.5 pl8lmao, you aren't fit if you cant do that. Bob Yamasaki lifted 523 lbs at age 60.

This is how stupid you sound

>doing c25k after taking ages out with shin injury
>on week 5, but other shin hurt on this last run

Hope I haven't fucked up

shin splints are literally the biggest bitch when it comes to running

I get them all the time as well, have tried everything from buying super expensive shoes to changing my form 100 times. I think my overall bone structure (genes etc) is fucked beyond repair, so there is probably nothing I can do about it.

Ikr, mine got worse than shin splints and I got a stress fracture. It was annoying as I was running big miles but then changed surface and it fucked me.

>wahhh muh clean shoes
I love trail running and when road runners transition to trails cry about getting their shoes dirty.

but isn't this how shoes get ruined?

No. Stop being a prissy faggot and do some muddy trail runs.

Post 5k PRs

19:14

does anyone else get bored as fuck running on treadmills?

i use to do distance running 10-15k outside 3 times a week. but i quit a year ago and restarted 4 months ago on a treadmill since moving to a shit area.

i get way, way too bored going my regular constant pace and just do 9-10 mph in .3-.6 mile intervals with 1 -2 minute rests..

did 16km (10 miles) for the first time today, took 1:40 ish. pretty satisfied. would like to train to do a marathon but my left achilles seems to be having a chronic issue. covered physio waiting list is 3 weeks. fuck

How do you pace yourselves effieciently? I run 5 miles with a friend, but I'm blowing after 2 on my own.

>having to train for a 5k and still getting such a shit time
Perhaps suicide is your best option OP. I decided to do a half hour run on a treadmill one morning and crossed the 5K mark at like 27 minutes with zero training. I hadn't ran more than fifty yards in a few years.

believe it or not, some people are really out of shape growing up. while it's a bad time by any standard, go eat a dick. at least OP is giving it a shot.

19:20

Gps watch

Got my first race Sunday doing a half marathon

Usually because of a knee injury I stretch for 10 minutes about 2-3 miles into my run.

How do I stretch before a race? If I'm not worried about PR and only worried about injury prevention, since this race is just practice before the NYC marathon, can I just go ahead and stretch during the race?

hoe to tell drop of 4 to 12 inches
yeah, ok

everyone in this thread talking about being forced on a treadmill like there isnt a road or sidewalk anywhere around them.

Embrace the fear of running along the side of the road and never have an excuse again.

hes right though

The last 5k I did was in november 2016, have been running 10k's and longer since then. My official PR is 20:51, but next week I'm gonna run my first 5k race since november. I'm hoping to set my PR below 19:00 (PR on 10k is 38:56 for reference).

newfag here. how long did it take you guys from an untrained state to maintain an indefinite jog? I dont care about speed really. Can maintain an indefinate 4.5mph power walk, but I really just want to maintain a run

>How far have you run this week?
97km in the last 7 days, about half on trails.
>What are you working on?
I've been most recently reducing my weekly mileage and will start working on speed again. Just for a change of pace :)
>How was your last run? 11k (1:00:00) I have been running a lot slower, doing longer distances and increasing weekly mileage, so expect to improve that a fair amount over the next couple months.
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying? I got a hat which has flaps at the back to protect my neck from the sun, and has a half-mask which can be useful for that, or for keeping the bugs out of my airway. I thought it would be way too hot, but I like it better than sunscreen.

Just jog slowly. You could probably do it right now if you jog slowly enough. Eventually, you'll get faster.

I've been fucking stalling for all of summer, because I run 1-2 times a week and it should be more! I'm so fucking lazy sometimes, I hate running

My first race was a 12k at 11.
It should only take like two weeks to run a 5k.

I didn't like it at first, but after I get the hang of it, I started to love running.

Running is pretty fun. Just make sure you run in popular places full of qt cardio bunnies

Start paying attention to how paces FEEL. Also, try to start too slow and speed up towards the end. Get to half way feeling okay and then slowly add in a touch more at whatever intervals feel right. I'm just a casual runner but I think body awareness is irreplaceable.

>ran 4 miles Wednesday + core
>ran 3 yesterday
>ran 4 today
I just started this fitness stuff so I'm not entirely certain what running does for you besides burn a negligible amount of calories. Any ideas?

I haven't ran in months. Used to run for an hour. Will I die if I attempt to run now?

Probably, but there's only one way to know for sure

The treadmill is your enemy. Knock that shit off. You are going to see huge improvement once you hit the trail/streets.

Bump

I'll give it a try
youtube.com/watch?v=65O4zz-hejY

I agree with this user. Personally, I use the first few hundred meters or so to adjust my pace and breathing. Then readjust speed and stride from there as needed. But am also just a casual runner, so don't just take my word for it

Why would you go run in mud with new shoes, you could have know. Should have just waited a day or so

how do I run in the morning? what do I need to eat to make sure i don't pass out?

Eat carbs the night before. Oatmeal, pasta whatever.

Eat something light (ideally carbs) and wait for half an hour. Don't forget to drink water

38 miles
>What are you working on?
recovery
>How was your last run?
24km slow
>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
nope

more later when I get back from food.

A 24 minute 5k is far from the level of a 4.5pl8 deadlift though. I would compare it to at absolute most a 3pl8 deadlift which makes what you say more realistic. Any male considering himself fit and healthy should be able to do both

I sometimes like to run fasted straight after waking up at 5 am. Given that I just run like 4km its easy to manage.

>ran in 5k last night because why not?
>decide to go casual pace of 7:40min/mi since ran earlier in the day
>shirtless douches act like they are the big shit
>they take off
>by mike 1 they are walking
>me and the other people laugh as we go by
>one of the running club members (old guy) tells them to slow down and pace themselves, they don't want to ruin their "gains" by walking any faster
>one of them gets pissed off and starts sprinting towards old guy
>old guy just takes off at his casual pace (6 min/mile) and guy never catches up
>everyone else starts laughing at shirtless douche
>average time of shirtless douche brigade was 37 minutes
>club members start debating if running shirtless actually makes people slower
>at this point, shirtless douche brigade just leaves in disappointment
Just remember guys, not all shirtless runners are tryhard douches, but most are. Be sure to make fun of them thinking they're the big shit until they finally decide to humble themselves.

>GOTTA GO FAST!!!

unironically 23:55

Wow, OP. It's like you are finally starting to make it in the world of running. Keep it up.

you sound like a dick desu

he is right though, every 5k race I've been is always the same

>buff dudes start fast
>die half way through

I completely fucked up, I was super excited about the race and ignored all technicalities

Nah, shirtless douche brigades deserve it. Maybe if they did not act like they are the big shit, outside their comfy AC cooled gyms, then they would not be ridiculed.

That's cuz we do everything 110% yeah cmon

I always love it when the 70 year old lady passes them.

If you really don't care about your time, just go and stretch in the middle of the race. Another option is to run slowly a mile or half mile beforehand, and stretch as you'd normally do right before the start of the race.

14:59 back in Spring. I'm proud of all you lads, keep it up!

Or the fatty they despise so much.

Realistically, how long would it take to go from a 19 5k to a sub 16?

>does anyone else get bored as fuck running on treadmills?

Yes, it's extremely monotonous desu.

I just ran 6km in 24:36 tonight

15:40 on a xc course. Never tried on a track

Works the most important muscle in your body

>got a marathon tomorrow
>signed up to impress girl
>farthest I've ever ran is 5k
How do I pace to ensure I complete it within the 6 hour time limit?

You're most likely trolling, but I'll give a serious answer anyway.
Only way you'll finish without getting injured (maybe?) is just running-walking the whole thing. I'd say run 1k, walk 1k. Try to do your running at about 6:30min/k, and your walking at about 10:30min/k.
If I did my math correctly, this should make it so you barely finish in 6h

It is a troll. It has appeared quite a few times in past threads.

>beginner mistakes: the post

Just ran my fastest 5k ever at 22:47. Placed 5th in my age group and 29th overall. Feeling pretty good.

Grats user! Keep up the good work

It's not a good idea to run on treadmills, it is a lot different than actually running, instead of moving your body forward, you just have you pick your legs up. Try running outside, you will enjoy running a lot more outside especially if it on a trail through some woods or something like that, much better than running in place in some gym.

Your first mistake was wearing brand new shoes before race day. Never ever do that.

Second mistake is training on a treadmill. Fuck that, treadmills are for desperate housewives, run outside every run no matter the elements.

But good job sticking it out through the rain and getting shit done.

Everyone's toe to heel drop is different. Some can run with no no drop while others need more protection. It all depends on the person

Keep running. Your body will adapt. I used to get shin splints all the time. Now I run 60+ miles a week with no shin splints.

It's the greatest. "But my nice new shiny gear!"

Fuck yes, I run everyday on back country roads, just switch sides whichever way a car is coming. Stop being pussies

I thought I had shin splints forever,would rest and try running several times over the period of a year. Finally got a bone scan - fractures all up both shins. Maybe go see a sports or foot and ankle doctor.

55.2 miles

>What have you been working on?
Long distance trail runningredients

>How was your last run?
This morning, long hard 13 miles on a trail, my legs are hurting

>Any new gear that you've been enjoying?
Got a new hydration back pack. I've never ran with water before, it's annoying but I'll get use to it. It's the Nathan Fireball Race Vest.

I always run shirtless.

>shirtless runners

Fuck yea, and I don't give a fuuuuuuuuuuck

are fractures basically the end of any running career? I am afraid that I have them too

do they even heal?

The Fireball is nice. I don't bother with a hydration bladder in the back though since I keep plenty of water on me along with water purification tablets and filter with me. I use the back as a way to store energy bars, snacks, and anything else I need for a long run on the trail.

Realistically, about 2 years with consistent, quality training. Maybe less if you have a bit of natural talent as well.

At the end of summer ito gets dry where I am and the streams dry up so I keep a bladder along with the 2 bottles. I don't use them on training runs but on race day I keep electrolytes in the 2 bottles.

I'm not sure man. I used to run a lot, like 80km weeks, and did a marathon. But then got stress fracture so had to take like a year out.

Now I'm starting running again and I'm quite paranoid. At least it is the other leg this time though.

Thank you! I like the second idea

A 24 min 5k takes about as much effort for an untrained person as a 275lb DL, 455 would be closer to pushing past the 18 min barrier.

I had an 18:30 but decided to bulk up a ton, went from like a 295 DL to a 445 but my 5k time has gone to 21:30 since I'm like 20lbs heavier.

Still running 3x per week though my times just keep getting worse as I get better lifts. I'm sure it'll come back down on the cut though constantly seeing 21:30 on the stopwatch after a run is annoying.