Why were the Irish seen as not white back in United States history?

That's a myth. Back in the day, nobody cared about "muh White, Muh Black" because those are simplistic categories which didn't (and still don't) explain the world. Irish were seen as White insofar as White was relevant, but they were still discriminated against, oppressed and persecuted .

But why exactly?

Because they weren’t white

American Protestant elites feared Catholics out breeding them and replacing them. They still do.

Thats not what Ben Franklin said

catholic religion

>Irish weren't seen as white
*Actually they were and that meme image isn't meant to prove that they weren't white

This might come as a shock to people who know nothing about European history, but different groups of Europeans didnt always get along

>Irish seen as not white
Fucking meme. I dare anyone that perpetuates this belief to find evidence of people in the 1800s saying the Irish are the same as Africans. No one has ever believed such a self evidently absurd thing. Anglos might have a long history of hating the Irish, but you can't tell the difference between an O'Brien and Smith by visual.

This. Many irish chose to desert and join the mexican army and died for brown people. Seems it happened after they saw a bunch of convent nuns raped

Nuh uh. /pol/ told me that Europe has always been a bastion of unity and whiteness until the Jews came along and created the EU.

Because the Irish aren't white

>Jews came along and created the EU.
Nuh uh the Jews came along and convinced Romans to be (((Christian's))) n shit.

Fucking subsersives

Pic related, the Anglo in his natural state

This. Naturalization laws of 1790 allowed ONLY white people to be naturalized, and the Irish were naturalized just fine. I've yet to see one of the "Irish weren't considered white" memesters being able to counter this legal historical fact.

Seems to me you're more interested in getting back at le evil paul than looking at history objectively.

>Why would a protestant population of largely English origin characterize the Irish as a bunch of subhuman idolators?

Gee, OP, I dunno.

Those are vampires dude.

As the other user said, there was the conflict between the Protestants and the Catholics. Also, the Irish tended to drink a lot.

That image you posted has to be understood in its historical context. The publication was making fun of the Irish. It's not as if other whites did not think of Irish as similarly white, but they did tend to think of them as 'lesser' whites.

I didn't notice this before I posted .
That image sums it up perfectly.

Yeah. The Irish were called "white niggers" by the Anglo press, meaning the Anglo elites viewed them as whites who acted like niggers, not that they were considered as literally not white.

Bullshit. Europe and the US were very ethnocentric.

Like father, like son.

They were seen as white. That is, about as much as modern mestizos and Arabs are considered "white". They had the legal classification of white but that didn't always extend to social classification. This attitude was much more prominent with anti-Italianism and anti-Slavism than anti-Irish sentiment however.

the entire idea that "irish were oppressed" is a meme made up by Bennigans

They originally were white until the sympathy needing Irish niggers got into mainstream media and turned the narrative around to fit their agenda. Now they seek to continuously erode true American culture with their nigger culture.

The history of racism and discrimination in the US isn't as black-and-white as it seems (pun fully intended). The concept of a unified 'white race' didn't really come about until post-World War II America, when various immigrant groups were more or less accepted into the main fold. Most previous racial movements tended to distinguish between different ethnic groups within the basic caucasoid-negroid-mongoloid divide; within whites, there were the Anglo-Saxons/Teutons/Nordics at top. They were followed (in no distinct order) by Celts, Iberians, Italians, Jews, and Slavs. After that came all the other races and interracial groups.

They weren’t seen as nonwhite they were seen as raging drunkards
Which they are

the same reason continentals weren't considered white: they're not.

No. For the millionth time

Where your source that the OP wasn't meant to be taken seriously?

Take your pills, Schlomo.

Because "White" is almost as useless a term for real-world ethnostudies as "Black" or "Yellow". It's a vague term with no actual definition that's stood the test of time, and should be relegated to the shitheap of history, like eugenics and western esotericism.