Army Veeky Forumsness

Welp, I've been lurking for two weeks on my phone, reading the sticky, and doing a lot of personal research off of Veeky Forums.

I am 18 years old and currently weight 288 pounds. I need to get down to 200 pounds in roughly 6 months .

I lost a little under 10 pounds(9.5lbs) in three weeks

I am busting my ass in order to join the military, a dream of mine that I've wanted to do since a very young age, but never had motivation to do it.

So what's your thoughts Veeky Forums, do you think I could shred 90 pounds in about six months?..

You would need to be at a -1750 calorie daily deficit, which is almost twice what is considered "safe".

Well I've gone from eating like a fucking pig to limiting myself to roughly 1850 calories a day.

No sugars, low-carb, high protein with vitamin 'one-a-day' supplements that I take.

I workout twice a day(two mile run in the morning, some sort of workout in the afternoon). I do core, abs, arms, shoulders, then full body on friday-sunday ontop of either my two mile run, or a six mile bike ride.

I've been doing this everyday for the past three weeks, and plan on doing it until I lose the weight.

90 pounds in six months will be amazingly hard

You're going to eventually hit a wall and not lose weight for a week, so make sure that you understand losing a third of your weight is a long process. Do you need to be 200 exactly, or could you show up at 220 and keep losing weight in the army?

>So what's your thoughts Veeky Forums, do you think I could shred 90 pounds in about six months?..
Of course you can. The question is, can you do it? Should you do it (taking in account the heath hazards)?

I need to get down to like 206 at the most. I know about the 'wall' and I honestly think pushing through it will be easy considering once I hit 250 I'm going to be working out with my recruiter every day. Motivation isn't something I'm far too worried about.

The health hazards is something I took into account and decided that if my health/body is at risk, I'm going to do something about it.

Six months is a goal, not a deadline.

Low carb, high fat, 16:8 IF, and toss in one or two days of fasting per week. Do plenty of aerobic activity, including running to push your aerobic threshold. And toss in moderate weight training.

90 lbs is a ~300k calorie deficit. You'll be cutting it close with only 6 months but you should get close enough to go to fat camp before basic.

Even considering a 2500 TDEE and fasting 2 days a week you would still need to be at a deficit of 1500 per diem to make your goal.

You could make the weight by integrating a SIGNIFICANT amount of fasting and light aerobics. But I would strongly caution against any weight training beyond body weight in doing so.

Assuming 2500 TDEE you would need ~120 of fasting during the 6 month period of 180 days. Or put another way, fasting 6 days out of 9. This is quite doable and I've seen some fat fucks lose 90 lbs easy on a similarly structured plan.

I'm currently monitoring a longtime friend who started at 400 lbs and he's been fasting 5 days out of 7 and he's down 50 lbs in 4 months.

You can try it, but personally i think your goal is unrealistic, and your workouts are unsustainable. Why don't you take some extra time to do it at a reasonable pace and in the meantime get some college credits so you can go in as an e-2 or e-3?

I plan on doing a semester of college, and loading weight at the same time.

With my current living situation, the faster the better.

As for enlisting with benefits, I'm trying to be a warrant officer, so my enlistment rank is pretty irrelevant if I get selected by the WOFT board.

I'm not too sure how I feel about fasting. Is it healthy? I don't want my body to starve and burn muscle simply to remove mass from my body. I want to be somewhat lean, working out and dieting.
My 'deadline' is next summer, my goal is Valentine's Day.

What type of workout should I be doing do you think?..

More cardio? More weights? More times a day? What you think?,.

Keto or low carb izprobably your best bet on coping with a severely calorie restriction for prolonged periods. Still doing that AND training for the physical stuff is going to be hard. Still youre 18 and have the magic juice still but should have set aside a year for this.

>I'm not too sure how I feel about fasting. Is it healthy?
I have personally monitored dozens of fat fucks fasting for weight loss along with regular medical supervision of bloodwork and vitals. None of them had any adverse reactions other than sleeplessness

>I don't want my body to starve and burn muscle simply to remove mass from my body. I want to be somewhat lean, working out and dieting.
The burning muscle from fasting is a trope that is provably false. During states of fasting where plenty of fat is stored on the body, HGH levels in the blood increase significantly. HGH has a lean mass preservation effect preventing lean mass loss. In addition study after study has shown that fat is the energy source preferentially chosen for fuel by the body during times of famine.

if you think about it from an evolutionary standpoint, humans have never had reliable 24/7 access to food and frequently went days without it. If the body put all that effort into storing fat, and then preferentially starts eating muscle when it comes down to needing that muscle to find more food that seems pretty fucking stupid.

Just for a data point, I'm currently monitoring a fat fuck friend who started at 420lbs. In 30 days he's dropped 40 lbs. He went from working at home 5 days a week, to returning to work every day of the week and since the fifth day he's been walking 3 miles a day. 1 mile at lunch and at home after work. His current weight loss for the last week has been .9lbs/day.

>My 'deadline' is next summer, my goal is Valentine's Day.

i'm an advocate for fasting because I've seen it work reliably so many times even for people who battled their weight for decades who have now lost the weight and kept it off.

It isn't for everyone and probably isn't for you. It's just an option I'm letting you know you have.

Good luck Armyanon.
If you don't lose the weight in time, your recruiter can definitely get your ship date moved. The more weight you lose, the easier it'll be for him/her to get this done, so either way hitting it hard is the way to go.
What MOS did you sign for?

I think next week(starting Sunday) I'll try fasting.

I'll probably try and eat something like celery or something just so my body has something to ingest without calorie gain.

Or do you propose a full on no-eating fasting?

Also, I might start with 3 times a week. Fast on Monday/Wednesday/Friday and eat light on the other 4 like I'm currently doing(1K calories, 1-5g carbs, no sugar).

You think 3 times a week will get it done?

If that doesn't work, I'll try the keto diet.

Just wait a little longer, diet and exercise safely user. Coming from an Infantryman, you won't miss anything by enlisting a few months later than you want to originally.

I signed up for 153A. Army aviation.

I have to complete the top part of this list to even get past my recruiter and to MEPS.

I don't even have a ship date because I'm far too overweight. Tbh, pretty sure my recruiter doesn't even believe I can do it.

I definitely want to get lean and healthy, but I figured once I just drop the weight, I'll have basic, WOCS, SERE, and flight school to get lean and fit.

As I said, the faster I get out of where I am, the better. But on that note, no, the army isn't me just trying to leave, it's been a life long desire to fly for the Army, I just finally got pushed for it over the summer(I graduated in 2017)

If you're going to fast then fast. There are certain benefits that disappear entirely if things are taken during the fast. For example, autophagy will completely stop within the hour of consuming any significant portion of protein and takes upwards of 12 hours to re-initiate.

Mathematically you have 26 weeks to meet your goal. assuming 2500tdee, 3 days of fasting a week would lead to 195k calorie net reduction or ~55lbs. A very significant weight loss. Math is of course one thing and reality is another.

In addition to fasting 3 days a week you definitely should focus on eating a low carb or keto diet for that insulin control. The lower you keep your 24 hour insulin the more weight you'll lose regardless of what those CICO fags say.

>If that doesn't work I'll try the keto diet.
The suggested diet you have in your post IS keto.

So fast 3x a week and then do the keto 4x a week?

Sounds doable, do that ontop of working out with cardio in the morning and a muscle workout at night every day, and I hope to see some results.

I understand user
But if you go into basic in bad shape, you will more than likely come out in bad shape
I went through OSUT and Air Assault in a relatively quick time span, guys that did the same but started poorly are still in shitty shape

Yeah- but I'm not talking like going in after going anorexic for months.

I'm lifting, I'm running, I even substitute my weight workout with p90X every now and then.

I'm not trying to starve or hurt myself, just shred fast and repair along the way.

The faster the better, but of course my ship date can be moved, I don't actually have a deadline, so I'm not going to hurt my health out of desperation to 'meet the cut'.

Appreciate the advise my 11Bro.

You should be good then. Just stay motivated, keep your head down, and have fun flying. I've considered dropping a WOFT packet next year, might just do it.

If I had my way and you had come to me for advice. It would be to first squash any notion of a deadline. I would then tell you to get a baseline medical and bloodwork panel done to see where you're sitting in terms of metabolic disease.

From there I'd probably encourage a 14 day fast with multi-vitamins and supplemental sodium to start you off with a bang before transitioning you into a 16:8 IF LCHF diet with a 500 calorie deficit and 2 consecutive days of fasting per week. In addition to the diet I would put you on a beginner routine in the gym 3 days a week with 2 hours of light aerobic cardio 6 days a week on top of that.

I had some lab work done in May of this year.

I also went to a child's pediatrician/nutritionist when I was 16 and had a full medical examination of why I was gaining alarming amounts of weight(turns out I was just a fat fuck who ate way too much and played too much COD).

There is nothing wrong with me except my excess intake of calories over the past 18 years of my life.

I don't think I have it in me to do a 14 day fasting. As I said, I could easily do 3x fasting a week. I'm also on a budget. I'm looking to get a job as a package handled at UPS for more exercise and work a day

. And aviation is pretty badass, my father who was on the Army tried for it but got denied due to his medical(brain issues), so he was an 11B for 12 years. He being medically discharged.

He's a huge factor to my motivation. If you want to throw in a packet, don't see what's stoping you. Good luck man.

To go further, the only issue my body had was my insulin, the nutrionist said if I just ate right, it'll go to normal.

Nothing's really stopping me other than pride in being an Infantryman. I love being an 11b, but a Kiowa pilot sounds cool as hell too.

My dad said this in his DI years at Jackson; 'the only POG I support is an aviation POG'

My dad drilled in, and will continue to drill his 11B propaganda until he passes and I love him for it.

Being a pilot overall is badass, Apache, Mh-6, Kiowa in that order.

Though bird selection is based off of merit throughout your flight-school. And it's 'first come first serve'. So basically, number 1 in class gets first choice, number 2 gets second, etc. and there are only so many billets per bird.

>To go further, the only issue my body had was my insulin, the nutrionist said if I just ate right, it'll go to normal
So you went to a nutritionist who saw your high insulin levels and didn't make any mention of metabolic syndrome?

Look into protein sparing modified fast (psmf). Very low calorie diet that preserves more lean body mass.

Nope. He literally said if I ate healthy it should go back to normal- moved away before I could get a follow-up.

Unless he talked behind my back to my parents and gave me some BS face value- I'm completely fine in that regards

.Thanks will do

>im completely fine in that regards
no. no you're not. elevated insulin levels precede high blood glucose, which precedes type 2 diabetes.

you literally had the first warning signs of metabolic syndrome.