Anyone done Wendler's 5/3/1? Would you recommend it as an effective intermediate strength program?

Anyone done Wendler's 5/3/1? Would you recommend it as an effective intermediate strength program?
Any input would be appreciated

Other urls found in this thread:

blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/n-suns-lifting-spreadsheets/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm on my fifth cycle right now. The progression is slow enough that's it's real hard to fail, but the trade off is that your numbers crawl up frustratingly slow. I'm no strength coach but I'd recommend adding some bench and OHP volume in there somewhere. For what it's worth, I've also heard that the newer variations of 5/3/1 are much better than vanilla. I'll be switching to one of them sometime in the near future.

Its not worth it. I never made any real gains until I did a form of circuit training, going to the gym 7 days a week

yea stick to it look up the variation u like, read the books, and boom something happens

>Anyone done Wendler's 5/3/1?
Yes.
Would you recommend it as an effective intermediate strength program?
Yes.

Ignore this, don't modify the routine. By modifying the routine you won't be doing 531, you'll be doing some customized bullshit that will do nothing for you.

Ignore as well, trolling

>circut training
>for strenght

what did you mean by this

I'm currently running his 5/3/1 Big But Boring 3 month variant, and finding it great.

Adds great variety and the constant changing rep scheme keeps things fresh.

God he's so cute. I lift for him.

>Ignore this, don't modify the routine. By modifying the routine you won't be doing 531, you'll be doing some customized bullshit that will do nothing for you.
Works for me, but if OP wants to change nothing that's fine too. No need to be so closed minded user.

Currently running nsuns and enjoying it. It's really just a 5/3/1 variant. It takes progression from monthly to weekly. My gripe w/ 5/3/1 was always the excruciatingly slow progress and mandatory deload weeks. Might be better for really advanced dudes but for intermediates who are still making fast gains it's completely unnecessary.

I got stronger, much much stronger, so what are you getting at pal?

Do you have a link to nSuns? The template I found isn't working at the moment.

>5/3/1
>nSuns
how to spot DYEL *and* a redditor.

sure buddy, post your 5RMs and a timestamped pic for us to mire

switch now, do the new version as jim outlines
ran the original iteration of the program sometime in 2013 or so, it was hot garbage and i regressed on everything but deadlift and ohp

the new iterations have additional volume in the form of joker sets and FSL work, so do those updated versions instead

the old versions have literally one working set of each big compound a week, combined with the low frequency you rely on accessory work almost entirely to get adequate volume which is probably optimal for most AIDS patients but probably not for anyone else - if you used the 5/3/1 periodization scheme as a framework and then add volume where necessary it was totally workable, but most people just starting intermediate routines do not have the experience to make this work
ignore this, add volume if you aren't getting enough stimulus to progress - beyond 5/3/1 outlines ways of doing this that don't break the program, and you are unlikely to fuck anything up by adding some accessories here and there
nSuns looks good too, it's based off 5/3/1 spinal tap and has high volume and weekly progression

might be worth a try for most people thinking about 5/3/1

Tell us about your program?

I'd like to finish my current cycle before switching. Which variation would you recommend? I'm not very picky, whatever pushes my numbers up is good enough in my book.

wtf. I prefer to be user

any of the new ones in Beyond 5/3/1 are going to be a huge improvement volume wise, I have not run any of those programs but I have taken a look at them out of curiosity

start with the basic 4 day setup and do joker sets and then FSL (multiple set edition for most volume), and then use simplest strength for the accessory work, that would be my recommendation - that way you get some sort of benching twice a week, some sort of squat twice a week, some sort of deadlift twice a week, and a lot of volume on your main lifts

blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator

this might be useful unless you have a spreadsheet you prefer

>blackironbeast.com/5/3/1/calculator
That's neat, thanks for that and the direction user. Gonna switch right after this current cycle then.

oh also on the simplest strength thing - it includes a fuckload of hamstring work and no quad work outside of squatting and front squatting, so if your quads are a weak point and your hamstrings aren't you might want to switch one or both of those hamstring accessory slots out for some quad work

i suspect this is some type of weird holdover from jim's equipped PL days, where hamstring strength was much more important than quad strength overall

I'd agree with this user- I didn't like the lack of initial volume in the original routines, but there's some really great stuff in beyond 5/3/1- mainly first sets last (I do them on alternating days aka squat on deadlift day, and bench on ohp days etc) and joker sets

>5/3/1 Big But Boring
>finding it great
>the constant changing rep scheme keeps things fresh.

Holy shit you must be one boring fuck.

liftvault.com/programs/powerlifting/n-suns-lifting-spreadsheets/
Has a lot of the variations.

Sick burn, bro.

Pls post links to said variations.

seeIt basically lets you customize the program

Which template and other settings combination would be best?

Thanks.

To clarify: best in that you're hitting everything at least 2x/week but also allowing adequate rest since I work a job with difficult hours and also I do a lot of running/cycling/swimming?

>inb4 cardio kills gains

>here, have a list of variations on a literal redditor variation of 5/3/1
neck yourself, my man
>le best template
I bet my left nut you're not even past intermediate on symmetricstrength, which makes your entire wondering for le secret formula even more pathetic
>but I lift 2/3/4/5
you wouldn't post such inane questions to begin with

Depends on your goals but just run a bunch of different options and see which you like. The only real advice I'd have is to add the pyramid sets to the backoff. I like the extra volume and 'walking it down' after my heavy sets.

>implying because a redditor cooked it up it isn't valid
how dem babby weights treatin ya lad?

Wendler has literally written books about how to customize 5/3/1 to make it work for your goals. Stop giving advice here.

So what? You were really weak before, and now just normal weak. Circuit training 7 days per week didn't make you strong.

Do you have any real criticism agaisnt the program or just meme words?

I modified 531 for my own needs, and Wendler can suck my dick if he has a problem with that. First of all, I don't think I need a deload phase (not yet), so I scrapped that. Second, doing each lift once per week seems like too little volume for me, so I've turned it into a UL. I don't really deadlift, so that's not an issue, and bench and ohp on the same day has been fine so far. I've also added a lot of accessories, probably more than Wendell would approve of, but I'm having good results so far (about 1.5 months).

5/3/1 is a program designed by a guy that was retired from competition and still wanted to lift.
It works for that maintenance purpose (I'm almost 40 and not intent to compete so more or less in that boat). Don't do it if you're 20ish, you'll lose your time.

I do 5/3/5/3/5/3, then the max out week and a week rest then reset.

>as an effective intermediate strength program

No, because it's a monthly progression and thus an advanced program by definition.

Nothing wrong with 5/3/1 I'm running a variation of it myself but what I don't understand is how it became such a recommended routine on reddit.

what a stupid post

Wendler himself has used variations of the routine for beginners, early intermediates, later intermediates, etc.

weekly progression = intermediate and monthly progression = advanced is not how it works, by definition you're a newfag and don't know shit so stop posting

You seem pretty mad there bucko

Funny how you called my post stupid but didn't actually refute anything I said or offer any sort of evidence as to why I'm wrong aside from a vague allusion to Wendler using it on different trainees.

Guess what dipshit? Anyone can run an advanced routine regardless of their level of adaptation. What makes it an advanced routine is the progression. A novice can run it and make progress at 1/12 the speed of a novice routine, or an intermediate trainee can run it and make progress at 1/4 the speed of an intermediate routine.