ITT: MEDITATON

Anyone here meditate? I kinda want to get into some kind of meditation, but all that comes to mind is yoga and westernization turned yoga into a superficial normie meme.

>how do I in2 meditation

also meditation general
as meditation questions here I suppose

And I kinda don't give a crap what you wanna get into, bitchfaggot. Shut the fuck up, bitch. Shut your faggot watersandwitch eating mouth, bitchboy. You aren't a little special snowflake, even if your mommy kept telling you that. You aren't shit, but another dumb ass faggot thinking he is smarter than everybody around you. You think you are the center of the whole galaxy, don't you, faggot?

Find a buddhist temple. I personally don't like Tibetan Buddhist theology but meditation is kind of their thing, along with other practices designed to draw one closer to enlightenment.

t. lacking zen

Nothing wrong with westernised meditation like mindfulness meditation for some mind clarity gains

Look up Mindfulness meditation in plain english.
Its a free ebook, good way to get started. You dont need to go to a temple or any of that crap; although im not saying its bad, just that you dont necessarily need it.

Meditation is not just one thing OP. It encompasses a shitload of approaches, methods, philosophies, etc for different goals.

For example: Mindfulness meditation is about being in the present and helps with anxiety and worries. Happiness meditation is focusing on happy feelings/thoughts/moments to make happiness a more prominent feeling in your life.

Things like religion, faith, prayer, the law of attraction and everything to do with spirituality are all tied to meditation too imo.
Its just about getting you to focus really hard on the spiritual realm and getting you to be more in tune with the universe.

I'm a casual meditator, I try to do it every day. If you have no experience with meditation of any description I would definitely try mindfulness meditation first, as it will help your mental clarity which is really helpful for getting in to other types of meditation. I'm Christian so I really haven't looked in to how Buddhists practice meditation but as mentioned they are supposedly pretty fucking dope at it.

I've had practices passed down to me and learned extensively of Tibetan/Mongol/Zen/Taoism/Hinduism and every time I've tried to teach someone who said they want to learn, they get goofy about it or don't take it seriously because of how I have to word it. It is florid, it is "gay" and it is in depth, most people seem to not be able to apply it.
That said, read the Bardo Thodol to start.

you ok there buddy? come, meditate with me, child :)

Buddhist here, I only do metta bhavana (loving kindness meditation) and I practice mindfulness while eating, running etc. But no formal sit down in full lotus style meditation sessions.

Calm down

>westernization turned yoga into a superficial normie meme

lmao @ crackers. they truly are uncultured

who /x/ here?

Been meaning to meditate more and get my mind focused on magick.

I do yoga

But not because of some pseudo spiritual enlightenment bullshit, but because it relaxes me and keeps me flexible for my diddlylifts

>I'm Christian so I really haven't looked in to how Buddhists practice meditation
You should m8, the contrasts between eastern and western spirituality is extremely interesting.
One of their beliefs is that (I'm completely dumbing it down) the universe sort of employs you like god can work through people.
This means that a truth may not be the same for everybody, their belief system is that if you can separate your ego, your judgement, and yourself (which is the goal of some meditation practices) and "meditate" on some issue or belief and the truth becomes apparent then that is the truth.

For example: You can't just tell a Buddhist person that being is wrong. Some might believe that but some might not, they have discovered different "truths" and while it's expected for these truths to more or less line up it's alright if they differ.
Religion is far more structured in the west and has absolutes, westerners of course dog eastern spirituality and easterners like to poke fun at westerners too.

Interesting how things can become so different.
I'll add a disclaimer that I've only read 2 or 3 opinions of the matter from practitioners and this more or less what they said.

I've been meditating for 3 years now. it's pretty great. one of the best things you can do for yourself.
I find the hardest part is doing it consistently. which also happens to be the most important part.
Set an alarm on your phone and just aim for 10 minutes EVERY DAY to start with.
audiodharma.org has some useful guides that i listen to when going to bed.
:)

OP here:

this is exactly what I was looking for, I'm surprised I haven't seen this infograph before, did you just make it?

Do I have to sit cross legged? It's really uncomfortable for me

obligatory you

nah i had in on me hardrive

Download Headspace. Get into the 10 days training. Get the subscribtion. Get into whatever other training there is. Take 10 minutes before bed to read a book. Start with Meditations from Marcus Aurelius. Then How to win friends and influence people from Dale Carnegie. Finally read Conversation with God from Neale D Wealshe.

Enjoy your new mind.

>the headspace meme

Try half lotus

no just normally in a chair, weird sitting was just invented because asians have no chairs

thanks friend

there is no such thing as a "casual" mediator, the more you do it, the closer you are to touching something you didn't know what was there. You're in for a harsh reality if you don't start reading up on zen.