According to the sticky

...you can get strong with bodyweights.

On low weight exercises your body engages the slow twitch fibres first, then the medium twitch fibres and finally when they are depleted uses your fast twitch (related to maximal strength).

By this logic, if you push your bodyweight exercises to the point where you have to try so damn hard just to do one it takes you half a minute, you will get stronk.

What do yall think?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdOuqokcm4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bump for the calisthenic bros

Memes aside body weight can help you look good if nothing else and is known to be able to get you in shape more efficiently than weights. I don't much belief it's as effective at making you bulky but I wouldn't be that surprised that it works for raw strength.

There comes a point where body weight becomes absolutely useless. Lift real weights for non meme results newfag

Bodyweight is alright until you reach the point when your own weight isn't enough resistance to stimulate growth.

Fiber resistance is contrary to hypertrophy. In the former you end up making fibers harder to break (they'll last longer) and in the latter you want to break as many of them as possible per workout, resulting in big gainz.

>is known to be able to get you in shape more efficiently than weights

Please don't spout your bullshit here, you'll convince someone who doesn't know any better

upper body weighted dips and weighted chins/pullups will last you forever.

legs on the other hand...

t. dyel faggot

>projecting

you'll never reach that point with some areas of your body

Try as you might, you will never do a one-handed handstand push-up

I know bodyweight guys who have athletic physiques and they do a crazy amount of volume going on 1.5 hour training sessions.

They are at the point where they literally cannot push any more because their energy is depleted, SO they've started a new trend where they have two training sessions a day, the second session after a couple hours rest and a good meal to get the energy back up.

Hes just started it so I cant post how thats going for him, but pic related is his physique.

That's quite the awful physique, especially chest.

I know. When he has a pump on he looks like a different person..Looky

problems with only bodyweight

1. good luck training your lower body, there is no possible way you can make pistol squats or any other meme shit hard enough to approach the stress of a squat or a deadlift
2. progressive tensile overload is a problem - after a certain point adding more reps and sets will not be sufficient, you must increase the tensile load on the muscle (progressing from pushups to inclined pushups to headstand pushups or something does NOT address this - you are merely emphasizing different muscles, not making the exercise more difficult for the same muscle)

it's better than nothing but there is a reason 99.99% of massive guys you run into lift weights

just for reference, pushups and handstand pushups are treated as different progressions. pushups usually go into planche pushups and pike pushups go into handstand pushups, because, as you said, they emphasize different shit.

other than that i agree with you tho

The reason is that hypertrophy is not the same thing as strength.
You're right about the legs, though.

Pick one, supplement with the other.

This. Do bodyweight as your accessories or use it as cardio with HIIT stuff.

Or, train for advanced bodyweight movements, and lift to strengthen your weak spots

I can't even do one situp, please help

>tfw no weaknesses

>ikf

how the fuck do I make a pullup bar that won't bring down the plaster? I don't want to spend 200 on a rack

In theory, sure. Good luck actually training your fast twitch fibers properly after you've depleted 95% of your energy and available muscular work load though. Its like saying running HIT sprints after running a marathon will help your explosiveness. Sure, it might, but you don't have anything in the tank to actually train that. Just do weighted shit if you want to do calisthenics and get stronger.

No. It is inferior for strength building.

>More efficiently than weights

Leave this board right now.

Scum of the earth swear by free weights and condemn the body weight movements.

You can get weighted vests at 140 lbs, and then add 20 lb ankle/wrist weights. If we're talking about pure body weight though, you can go for explosive movements, stand on a bar and hold onto it for a static leg press/deadlift, or do some sort of 1000 rep shit.
Honestly though for hypertrophy specifically, BIG GUY mode is best with weights. Body weight is essential though and those who swear it off leave out half the training.

Wrestling and fighting heavy fuckers also a suitable replacement for weights however.

DOBOTHFAGGOT

Seriously. If you only do one or the other you're just a self-limiting retard.

Or just train a single body part for an hour+. Legs... for an hour, with low rest.

I do weights every second day and bodyweight every day, but if it's true that one strengthens bonds and the other destroys them then I don't know what the fuck it does in conjunction

Restrain the beast and it only grows stronger by breaking its bonds.

yeah that's what I figured about nofap and now I'm in prison without appeal

You broke the restraints way too easily. Now they must contain you... it's time to hit a new PR bro, it's time to break out of your cage.

Your tears are delicious, jew. What's wrong, don't want the goyim to know they don't have to spend $1000 per second on a gym membership?

Though it's kind of a retarded dichotomy seeing as breaking something down isn't that difficult. Like I said before, just hit the same muscle group/chain harder and longer to fuck it up. While you're at it, you can practice Iron Shirt/Golden Bell Shaolin Gong Fu and beat the shit out of your muscle after each set (makes you knife proof after 1-5 years depending on discipline and technique) and that will definitely fuck up/shock your muscles.
The bigger picture here is that, if your muscles and connective tissues are stronger and more resistant to damage, then you can lift 1000 lbs while looking like a tiny china man, while getting huge only serves the purpose of aesthetics, energy storage, and setting you up for an even higher strength potential.

Size aesthetics or Strength? Better to train for strength with slow size gains in my opinion, taking a year to add 5 lbs of lean muscle while you get a ripped low body fat physique and ultra blood pump. Adding 10 lbs of muscle in 2 years while you achieve strength, stamina, flexability, combat martial arts/science, agility, speed, skill and explosiveness goals is awesome. You can still pack on the weight if you eat and train hard enough however. It's just that you have to eat way fucking more if you're training for hours every day vs 45 - 75 minutes of weight lifting.

All a matter of will and knowledge. If your muscles are ultra-resistant to damage after years of body weight type stuff, you can still go into the gym and hit your 3RM for 20x2 or something ridiculous.

homegym is the answer for this

I think that the fact that you will gain more muscle mass with free weight is real. I'm doing bodyweight routines for a year now, I can do 12 dips when I couldn't do one diamond pushup before, went from 2 shitty to 10 pullups, but my weight maybe increased for one or two kg. Also my diet was shit, I have hard time eating a lot

>Try as you might, you will never do a one-handed handstand push-up
Is that a challenge?

As a fellow fit M8 who weighs 200lbs, I do not even bother with a home pull up rack because I know the weak MDF casing will not be able to hold up my weight.

Just go to a gym.

T. Carpenter

Dude that's 'nothing... and you aren't even eating so how is this relevant?

I like your attitude. Do it by Christmas and gift Veeky Forums the most precious gift: a shit eating grin and total humiliation to all those "it's not possible" faggots

>Using your whole body vs isolating muscles

I take it you've never heard of compound lifts?

>no known weaknesses
lol

>I like your attitude. Do it by Christmas and gift Veeky Forums the most precious gift: a shit eating grin and total humiliation to all those "it's not possible" faggots
I'll do my best. I can already balance on one arm with help of a wall but I guess I need to work on doing free standing handstands.

InB4 I break my neck

welcum to snap city brah

Sure, but that same can be said for 3x5 exercises, but we do it 3 times instead of once
Also the time to get to that point progresses linearly with the amount of reps to be done. Meaning it'll just be quicker to do a minute of squats, rest, a minute of squats, rest, and another minute of squats than to do 10000 air squats

Body weight is fucking patrician, it is always more appealing to do a series of perfect push ups than doing 5 heavy weight deadlifts while trying not to shit yourself

please post you doing one arm pull ups, plance and human flag

oh you cant? then fuck off permabulking powerlifter wannabe

Just horrible lighting

thats adorian

Just as I hear grip strength contributes to total strength (something something neurology), the same can be said for the neck and head/face muscles, so do a lot of neck work.

You can get strong with literally anything as long as there's progressive overload

Bodyweight fitness is better if you actually want to become strong, lifting weights is better if you want to look like you're strong

bodyweight can't into legs

So while we're on the subject, what kind of weights should I get for lower body exercises when following a bodyweight program? I'm doing step ups right now but I assume weighted squats and things like that are better to do?

yeah, looks like lot of 'pro' calisthenic guys are paralyzed below the waist

the homejew you say?

"yes stay at home working out, don't look outside at your crumbling society, who's a good goy? db curls?! how interesting, look how strong you are! very impressive!, keep at it!"

Why not just do squats and lunges?

>is known to be able to get you in shape more efficiently than weights
aka in order to get good at calisthenics you need not be a lardass

correlation=/=causation
fucking mong

pistols to weighted pistols

no chest, otherwise for 2 hours of work per sesh, it's pretty average by my opinion for the sheer amount of work.
how long has he been at it? or has he not had enough time to change?

Planking, no matter how hard you train or what you do with it, will never get your deadlift up to 500lbs. The muscles will adapt to the kind of stress they're exposed to, which is the entire problem with bodyweight training:

Inability to gradually increase the weight.

All you can do is reduce ROM which is suboptimal, or start doing the movements asymetrically (one handed pushups/pullups etc)
Being the kind of creatures that has one dominant side, this almost invariably means that when you start doing the movements asymetrically, you're not mirroring form correctly.

That's not even considering the fact that unless you're a manlet, you'll have tremendous difficulty performing some of the exercises you need to do to progress, simply because your skeletal levers are too long to operate efficiently. This is why SO few people over 6ft can ever do an iron cross, it's simple physics.

I've tried to add some bodyweight work to my routine for quite a while actually. It wasn't completely useless I guess, but free weights will definitely be able to make you more stronk.

That all being said, handstand pushups can be a fun way to work the shoulders, if you make sure you can reach proper depth (Stack of books/pushup handles or whatever).

But those are my two cents. If I were you OP, I wouldn't waste time with it.

>no chest
>with arms wide like that
no shit, are you a little retarded m8?

hypertrophy and strength are highly, highly correlated, r = 0.9 in a study comparing competitive powerlifters (the biggest determinant of how much they lifted was their muscle cross sectional area, interestingly enough subscapularis thickness was best predictor)

obviously there are neurological factors in strength, as well as matters of internal/external leverages (that's why you have chewning deadlifting a ton while being made of pipecleaners), but hypertrophy is a gigantic factor and is very important

the moment you put a weighted vest on or add weight somehow, you are no longer doing true """bodyweight""" training the way it's framed in this discussion

standing on a bar and holding on to it for a static leg press/deadlift is going to do absolutely nothing, and 1000 reps and super high volumes (while probably being good for metabolite accumulation which is a small factor in muscle growth) are not addressing the need for progressive increases in mechanical tension on the muscle

You will never ever need a 500 lbs deadlift for anything in life. Deadlifiting 500 lbs doesnt mean youre fit. Doing 100 push ups, over 20 pull ups or running a mile in a short time means that you are fit

if you need to lift somehting heavy, use a forklift or something

>everyone everywhere does compound lifts when using weights every single time
Still not using your full body

Because I need weights for doing squats because just churning out rep after rep only builds endurance and not strength

no, that's not how that works user

you don't get to create your own criteria for fitness because your lifts are piping hot dogshit and you can't compete with the big boys

To be fair, som reddit hobby-gymnast (inb4 >le reddit lelelele) did a 400lb deadlift to show that doing different kind of levers and planching did actually builds your lower body/posterior chain. It wasn't pretty, but the shit went up and that's cool considering he never actually performs the movement (hence: zero technique).

Apparently, it's a thing that gymnasts in general have relatively good deadlifts without actually deadlifting.

This of course demands you get into the advanced gymnast shit (levers and planches).

yeah, you consider fat fuck powerlifter lifting 500+ lbs for 1 rep, but climbing a few stairs makes him windy like an old man.

typical Veeky Forums retard, always circle jerking about muh heavy diddylift and sqwat

Between bench, The Press, chinups, squat, and deadlift, which muscles other than calves are not being worked?

calves are hit in squats and diddlies

t. calflet

It does nothing because the body doesn't know how to react to an immovable object... at first. Start out by going from straight leg to deep squat while simultaneously pulling the entire time like some sort of new yoga thing, and eventually your neurology learns how to pull with all its might, and you got a great fucking exercise to do.
Seriously.
I have a thread on the other Veeky Forums... 8ch, and we'll see if I hit some crazy numbers and improve my deadlift without any weights by november.

It's about how you train. If you train with the right will and passion then it just fucking works.

This right here. 400 lbs from gymnastics. Give him a month of deadlifting and he's at 500 lbs.

You are?
That's ok user, not all of us can have joocy calves

Just do bodyweight with weights in backpack

Abdominals are hardly used. Arms and chest will lag behing after a few months, as is well known to beginner strength routine users

Abdominals are used plenty in squat. And Greyskull LP solved the problem of t-rex mode by cutting squat from deadlift day and doing arms every day.

in shit programs sure, that isn't the fault of the exercises

>abdominals are hardly used
kek

Not much really. Lateral delts, calves, biceps and rectus abdominis (six-pack abs) might, in proportion to the other muscles, get a little less stimulation.

This was one of reg parks fullbody routines back in the day (i think it was called "Hard Work"?)

Curls 4x6-8
Behind neck press 4x6-8
Bench Press 5x5
Rows 4x6-8
Squat 5x5
(SL) Deadlift 5x5
Leg raise 1x25

3x per week

in which world do you live where a WEIGHTED dip or pull up or squat is a bodyweight exercise

thiis

Except abdominals arent hit for shit in any of those exercises
m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xdOuqokcm4

why not both

/thread

why not weighted backpack pushups pullups squats..

>oh my back!
youth of today

gay ass criteria
id say the fittest man would be one who can survive the longest in wilderness without equipment
physically wise it would mean being able to swim and run fast, climb trees, throw stuff accurately, being able to balance yourself well and maybe swing heavy things and lift and carry moderate loads
also being able to function during intense stress and hunger
of course it means also not being brainlet and having sharp senses

because its not a BODYWEIGHT exercise you retrard

so if I drank 1L of water before I did my pullups it would no longer be considered bodyweight?

you're the retard

what's the difference between bulking and putting weight in backpack?

think before you utter nonsense

backpack on my back
the pack is where i put the stack
of weights
there's no turning back
gimme the plates

so by your logic loading a weighted barbell on your back counts as bodyweight exercise because whats the difference in that and bulking up a lot of weight? think before YOU utter nonsense
1 liter of water INSIDE your body of course counts as bodyweight but strapping 20kg to your pack obviously is not your bodyweight

>you have to be a fat fuck powerlifter to deadlift a paltry 500lbs

i was deadlifting that as a 190lb 17 year old, maybe you should apply yourself or reroll your genetics if you think this is such a difficult thing to achieve

seriously though it does absolutely nothing, stop trying to reinvent the wheel and train properly

>so by your logic loading a weighted barbell on your back counts as bodyweight exercise because whats the difference in that and bulking up a lot of weight? think before YOU utter nonsense
You low IQ mess. Please consider the difference between weighted pushups and benchpress.

To your logic a squat is bodyweight exercise even if you put a weighted backpack on your back so a squat with a loaded barbell on your back should still be a bodyweight exercises by your logic or does the implement magically transfers it to a non bodyweight exercises? and if so is a 100kg backpack squat or a 30kg backpack pull up a bodyweight exercises? just stop posting your just riding yourself deeper and deeper into this mess
A push ups with 50kg on your back is not a bodyweight exercise it does NOT matter with wich implement you load an exercises it still is calinsthetics or gymnastiques but not a fucking BODYWEIGHT exercise

Thoughts on pic related?

Stop trying to reinvent the wheel
plates are made from steel
steel is made from iron
iron is made from heat
drop the beat
gimme the plates
strap them
stra

stra
strap
strap
str
str
str
strapemup strapemup

let the beast out the gates

strapemup strapemup
strapemup strapemup

i call it bodyweight exercise cause I'm correct

strapemup

get rekt

The backpack is attached to your body which you do bodyweight exercises with mr bingo bongo

>b-bu-bu-bu there's nuh pragressive overlood
Have you considered doing bodyweight with weights

>
this

feels good to be high IQ

readable version would be nice.
i can do towel pullups but i can't do 1 arm half pullup, so that progression doesn't make sense to me

open in another tab and zoom in