QTDDTOT

> Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread: created by a DYEL edition

I'll start: when bulking, are you supposed to eat less on resting days? I'm currently eating at a 500 calorie surplus every day.

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/5x5/
scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
sailrabbit.com/bmr/
bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, your tdee will go down if you aren't burning calories training.

No...TDEE is calculated as an average.

lel

Is it possible to actually make no gains at all? If Im lifting and eating semi ok, is there a risk that I will just stay still?

Fuck's sake. How about an actual answer.

How long do I do 5x5 SL for?

You can manipulate your calorie surplus however you want, but TDEE is a daily average based on estimated activity levels for the week, which is immediately obvious if you've ever used a TDEE calculator.

So if we assume a 500 calorie daily surplus, that comes out to a 3500 calorie surplus every week. A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so that surplus will roughly equate to the commonly prescribed "1 pound of weight gain per week" for a standard bulk.

If you really want to, you can eat a 1166.6 calorie surplus on your 3 lifting days and get roughly the same results. Or you can just eat a 500 calorie surplus every day.

It can sometimes be appropriate to eat extra on one day if you exercise beyond something you would typically do, like if you randomly decide to go on a 6 mile hike or something.

Substitutes for peanut butter in proton shake?

My shake is:
2 cups milk
2 scoops
1/2 cup oats
Banana
2 tablespoons peanut butter

1000 calories 80 grams of protein but peanut butter gives me nasty greasy shits. Has anyone tried avacado in their shakes? Maybe I can just use ice cream? I googled peanut butter substitutes but the results were all different kinds of nut butters and I'm not sure how they will affect my b-hole.

Reposting from last thread

I don't have access to a gym until just over a month from now but have been cutting at 2100kcal for the past couple of months now.
I'm not sure how my absence from the gym is supposed to factor into this; I obviously don't want to be in a situation where I relapse on my cut and get fat/lose excess amounts of muscle

I'm 5'10 at 178lbs, should I be scaling back my calorie intake for this month/still keeping 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight/ etc?

You should recalculate your TDEE based on sedentary activity levels assuming you aren't replacing your gym exercise with some form of cardio.

Im going cutting
Planning on doing just the main ligt in 5/3/1 and then 45 min of cardio so 4/week
Am i getting enough volume to retain muscle ?

how long before I crap out like, 20,000 calories of food

Is it possible to maintain my strength with just body weight stuff? I'm going on vacation for 20 days, and won't have access to a gym for that period. Eating enough won't be a problem, but I'm worried that my strength will go down, especially in my legs.

no it's not, but your strength will return quickly if you resume training as soon as you're back. i would recommend bodyweight while you're away though, just to keep active. I was just away for 2 months, lost a bit of strength but have recently got it back up within 1 month

You can actually get some leg hypertrophy by doing sprints,
I'm in the same position as you, I do upper/lower/rest
On my upper days I do a lot of pull ups (100+) which involves variations and such, and also a lot of push ups (120+) including variations (stance width, etc)
On lower days, I do 8-10 rounds of sprints of like 35-50 secs and 1 min rest.
On rest days, I train abs.

What upper body exercises can I do with a bad wrist?

I had scaphoid surgery. It didn't work. How can I make sure I get arthritis in 10 years rather than 5?

Is it ok to workout multiple muscle groups a day? I want to lose fat, I tried the SS program for 6 months last year (didn't lose much weight since I was eating a lot), but it was very enjoyable plus I became a little stronger which was also nice. Now I'm thinking of doing the SS with some other barbell excercises as well to fill the rest days, basically I will only be resting on sunday. Oh, I should also mention that I've already been training for 3-4 months but I honestly do not like my current program, it doesn't feel like I'm getting as much excercise as I want. Anyway, is doing SS + 4-5 other barbell excercises on rest days too much?

yes

no

what about olive oil? it's still one of the best fat sources

stronglifts.com/5x5/
read this

yes

Eat more fiber and keep the pb.

which TDEE foruma is the most accurate?

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

the one that allows you the most calories

Thanks guys. I'll try olive oil while I find a way to include more fiber in my diet.

I need help guys.

Every workout day I can't sleep at night.
I workout in the morning about an hour after waking up and I never have caffeine past 10am.
I don't use electronic for at least an hour and a half before sleep and if I do they got a blue light filter.
I've been lifting for almost a year and there's been no improvement.

Anyone had this problem and managed to get rid of it?

I can't train for three days, will my beginner gains fade? Im doing SS for a month and I'm looking really athletic/muscular already and made huge progress. I don't wanna loose any of that. I'm reading ripptoes book for three days thought...

Is metallicadpa ppl routine good for a dyel?

only recently I was able to get better sleep. make sure you are getting enough vegies, stretching your traps and chest to open your airways for the best sleeping posture.

if you are waking up tight and unrested in the morning then your muscles worked hard to sleep in that position so it could also be your bed.

also try having apple cider vinegar (alkaline diet) with your last meal and cutting out all sugar/grains. I don't care if its a fad or a placebo but something in there worked for me.

Is the fish oil part in the sticky a meme ? What are the benefits ?

Check Lyle McDonald opinion on fish him and couple of handful nutritionists are probably most legit out there.
If you're not buying what he's selling don't go for it.

I have a fracture in the right hand poking finger. What can I train while it is healing?

Whatever that doesn't interfere with it? Go to the gym and do compound lifts with just the bar and see what you can do.

Okay. To specify more. I can't use my right hand for a month.

Have you never lifted before? Okay go try to squat probably learn low bar rippletits squat since his grip position has no pressure on them.
Bench is probably a nono but again try with bar, same for ohp.
Deadlift is probably a waste of time to try since almost all grips will use hands.

I do wake up unrested and sore majority of the time.
I happen to have some apple cider vinegar so I'll give it a try.

Thanks.

I'm a beginner that struggles to keep equilibrium during bench press, even with low weight that I can easily handle. Am I just too weak ?

Does DUP work only for diversifying one specific set of excercises (and variations of them) i.e. A1xA2xA3xx workouts? Or will scheme like A1xB1xA2xxB2xA3xB3xx work as well?

Problem is that I can't wrap my finger around or even pushing a bar beacause my finger is broken in the middle of the hand if that makes sense

NO.
>The first question is whether the surplus should be eaten every day or only on workout days. So let’s say our intermediate guy is training 4 days/week. Should he eat 120 calories per day extra or 240 extra on training days (and maintenance on the other days)? While you could probably argue this both ways, the time course of protein synthesis, going up after several hours and then peaking at 24 hours (this is often less at the advanced stages) would suggest that keeping calories above maintenance on both days would be the overall better choice.

But I don't recommend 500 calories of surplus, go with 300; unless you are gaining weight at the ideal rate.

Is going from 12.5" to 14" arms good for the first 2 months of training? (no pump, no fat)

I squatted lmao 1pl8, but my form suffered. I know shitty form is the best way to get injured.

I'm new, obviously. What's the best way to build up to it properly, so that even if it is difficult I can handle it enough to keep my form?

what weight did you use before 1pl8?
(the anterior workout, not the same day)

My gym is already closed so I'll have to improvise. I want to work my back and biceps with the equipment I have but I also want to go for a nice little 6-8km run.

Now my question is: should I do weights first and cardio second, or the other way around?

Maybe. Before you add any weight, try doing some practice reps first with only the bar. Go slowly and focus on the form.

Sometimes my gym buddy can't make it to the gym. Instead of doing bench press could I use the cable machine instead?

Does anyone have 5/3/1 forever and can share the Krypteia program?
I can piece it together somewhat from different sources online, but there's still some confusion...
I'm going to buy it when the ebook releases, 40$ + international shipping for the physical book is too much for me.
I'm just about to start a new program, I really like 531, and I could very well just follow the information from 531 2nd ed. and Beyond, but knowing that there's an improved version of the principles, I'd prefer to know the latest and greatest...

Cardio before lifting should only be used as a warm up, if not, you'll go exhausted into the weight room. Obviously, this applies if your priority is weight lifting instead of running.
So, I say you should do it after.
Or maybe you can divide your running session in two parts, less than 50% before weightlifting, and the rest after.

Starting from the bar, I added 2.5kg every workout up to 10kg on each side, then I got cocky and jumped 5kg to get to 15kg, and when that worked ok I did it again for the pl8.
I think I just bumped it up too fast.

>military press 135
>bench 145
How do I improve bench

If you don't want SS, why not do other program that already has more exercise variety, maybe an Upper Lower routine, (4 days a week), or just another full body routine (3 times a week)?

I think that would be better than modify an existing routine.
To retain muscle you Need to keep intensity (weight on the bar) but you can cut volume a lot, even in half. If you don't feel good about cutting that much volume, do it by 1/3. Remember that eating enough protein is crucial.
sailrabbit.com/bmr/
Katch-McArdle if you have body fat.
No. That's absurd. I think you can even rest for 2 weeks and you will still keep your muscles.
It's not. Take them.

Left pec is more active when I bench press. Please help lads, this is driving me insane.

I attribute equal importance to weightlifting and running, but my goal right now is to get a little bit more shredded

Yes. You added too fast. Lower the weight and try again.

Take a look at some machines -- leg press, hack squat, whatever -- to get more strength

Any recommended plant-based proteins? From prozis or whatever website based in europe/ships from europe

asking since i need something easier on the stomach, got some samples from regular whey(from xcore hydro isolate, cookies & cream and that shit had actual cookie pieces and a 7/10 taste) and tried it and gave me gas and stomach rumbling and all that shit when you feel like you have diahrrea

MyVegies
100% Vegetable Protein New Formula

Weider
Vegan Protein

Scitec
Pure Form Vegan Protein

Myprotein vegan blend, bretty good.

Veeky Forums, help.

My lower back starts hurting like CRAZY when I stand and bend slightly, say when I'm doing the dishes or chopping vegetables. What the hell is this? Is this cause of my slight scoliosis? What do I do? Should I do Starting Stretch / yoga?

Ive been using myprotein impact whey for a while and noticed all the flavours suck, like really bad. Ordered a bunch of samples and they all tasted the same and bad so I bet the plant ones are even worse
Meanwhile, had some protein hydro isolate from xcore and it was so good, even had pieces of cookies in it and tasted great but my stomach didnt enjoy it too much

Is it alright if my macros usually go over for the fats and don't really hit my carbs? Bulking. My calories and protein are fine, it's just that those two I can't balance.

Curious about this too.

Hi, anons. A newbie here. I am now starting to lift weights and after a looong break. Before I went to gym like 5 years ago. After reading the sticky, I decided to go with starting strength but it seems to be a rather empty and fast work out. When I was working out before I did it with a trainer and the program included the same stuff but also other exercises. So I did bench pushes, dead lift, squats, etc. but I also did a lot of stuff for biceps, triceps, abs, spine. Also, I did less sets but more repetitions. That program worked well for me.
So, is there any more complex workouts or should I just go with SS?
Thanks for your help.

Why I'm not losing weight anymore with a low calorie diet? Stuck at 175 pounds since 3 weeks ago. Before that I was losing 2 pounds per week only with the diet.

This is where you go lower

Is using hook grip on deadlifts the same as using straps? I don't feel like there is grip strength involved with the hook grip because I just trap my thumb between my fingers and the bar

lower calorie intake? I'm just barely eating a compote at breakfast and corn flakes at lunch.

It doesn't matter, if you're not losing weight you need to go lower.

Does anybody incorporate swimming into their routines? During my cut, would swimming once or twice a week (I'm addition to normal routine) help maintain all round muscle mass and cardio? Seems like an easy way to activate all your muscles but what do I know...

I'm assuming you're in the 5'10"-6' range.

I've had this issue too, eating at a larger than normal deficit and seeing a long plateau. I would say give it a month before trying anything, but once that happens go ahead and start increasing calories 100-150 per week until you start gaining 1lb per week.

It's total broscience the way I'm describing it, but I've seen studies where simply there's not enough muscle to justify rapid fat loss, plus if you've never been that thin before your body tends to put a brake on the rapid loss. Again, this is total broscience the way I'm putting it.

I've found that slowly increasing cals until you start bulking, and then going on a smaller deficit (400-500 cal) from that point kinda "resets" the plateau. The only reason I even type this out is because I've asked this exact question before and just got "you're doing it wrong" as an answer.

Swimming is more cardio than light lifting. You should lift to maintain mass.

it is good, but it has some risks, like ears and skin problems, in women, vagoo problems. the water of the pools is dirty af.

wait, so the broscience says i need to gain a little weight to reset the 2 pounds per week diet? why is the humban body so stubborn?

>SS + 4-5 other barbell excercises on rest days too much?
yes. rest days are for rest. adding accessories after your main lifts is fine as long as you aren't overdoing it, but don't lift on rest days. if 3x a week isn't enough then switch to a split. remember you don't get strong from lifting, you get strong from recovering from lifting

It's rest day
I want to lift
What should I do

did SL for 7 months making pretty good progress, but that has now halted completely and rather than eating more and getting stronger i'd prefer to cut first. (220 lbs at 6'2)

because of that i'm looking at switching up my program. i work out at home, got a bench (flat/incline), can squat and have a barbell with a good amount of weight plus some dumbells. most routines i've looked at have a fair bit of machine stuff and pullups of some sort which i can't do here. i can work out basically every day

pls respond

McKenzie exercises
Becoming a supple leopard and or Deskbound
Read SS
Etc

Lift with your mind

Not upper body exercises, but have you looked into wrist stretching/strengthening at all? /bwg/ normally has a link to some pretty extensive routines that helped me out a lot with my wrist problems.

Is switching to SS 3 after 3 months of SL a bad idea?

I.e. I will learn to make ""music""
Thanks

Are 4 day upper/lower splits well balanced? I'm not one to skip leg day and always work my legs hard but some people say say 4 day upper/lower splits work the legs out too much and don't focus enough on the upper. Is that just broscience?

Thanks, will check 'em out

If you don't like it, you could go with the beginner routine laid out by Lyle Mcdonald:

Basic Barbell Routine:

Squats 3X10-12
Overhead Press 3X8-10
Deadlift/Shrugs* 3X8-10
Chin-ups, Pulldowns or Rowing 3X8-10
Dips, Barbell Bench or DB Bench 2X8-10
Crunches 2X8-10

For complete info about it, read this:
bodyrecomposition.com/muscle-gain/beginning-weight-training-part-4.html

Or if you want a Upper/lower split, use the one I'm doing right now in the Pic, it's by Eric Helms.
If you want to learn a lot about training, buy his book (it's $39) "The muscle and strength training pyramid".

I'm following pic related. How do I change it to hypertrophy my upper body ( especially chest ).

wasn't home for two days and skipped creatine. should i take 3 times the normal ''dose'' so i don't unload?

Anons, i just got back into lifting and was benching, i was getting gassed out really fast.
>How do you keep yourself from being tired to quickly? Pre Workout?

>When i was doing military press one arm gave out. I was only doing 20s and it didnt feel too heavy it just felt like it gave out. It was weird because the only exercises i had done before that was overhead DB Extension. What do? Just less weight and more reps?

How important is nutrition to maintaining a solid physique? How much protein do I need for example? Also, how much excersie is required to maintain what you've built? Can simple body weight and light excersie keep it?

Read the fucking sticky.

Can scoliosis be improved with exercises?

so I used to do stronglifts but kinda turned into a dinosaur. I renewed my gym membership and am going for the first time in almost a year, should I go back to stronglifts or try another program? been pretty lazy lately so kinda a fatass. pic related

add a chest isolation exercise, maybe some flies, for 3x12 or 3x15

It really depends in what you like: there are several starting programs: SS, SL, Barbell basic routine by Mcdonald, Upper/Lower by Helms.
Obviously, as you were a lot of time without training, you need to do a beginner routine again. This time you'll probably progress faster though.
Just as important as following a good routine. Or even more.

175lb at 6'2.
Will I ever make it? Been cutting from 275lb. Still have fat around neck and hips. Highest I could squat was 235lb before injuries.

New to this, wanting to cut so I can lose my junk in the trunk but don't want to pass off on doing deadlifts and squats. Would gaining muscle and cutting reasonable method to get them to how low I want them?

Anyone have any links or descriptions about muscle memory?

I lifted for a year and then stopped for a year. I'm 2 months back into it and I've made much faster progress than before, though this time around I'm not at a power lifting gym and no one has any idea what they are doing at a university gym. How long does it normally take to get back to old numbers after a long layoff? I feel like training is harder during the actual actions this time around but progress is much faster. I'm a little more worried about injury. Should I do some high rep sets for a week to get back the cardio conditioning and just reinforce the neurological memory of the lifting movements?

If I'm doing X weight for 3x5, what would I drop the weight to for 3x10?

Are hang cleans/hang snatch/etc. worth doing from a purely aesthetic standpoint?

No they're a part of an Oly lift. If you have fun with them sure go fucking crazy and try to find a place in your program for them but they're a waste unless you do Oly.

Everyday for my postworkout meal I eat 4 eggs, is eating that many everyday ok?

Depends on what you were doing pre hiatus, if I were you I would just do 3x5 if you are going up in weight.

Yes. If they fit your macros go for it, don't fall for the vegan shills on here.